• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
17 new cases in Slovenia, 1390 tests made. 16 people are in the hospital, none on ICU. Majority of new cases fall into under 40 years of age category.

Meanwhile record number of new cases in Croatia - 116 in one day.

Oct 27, 2017
It is hard to summarize the US failure, but this does alright:

To play devil's advocate, the same would likely be true if you broke out the individual parts of Chile, Brazil, etc. If a country is doing poorly, it's likely that much of it is doing poorly. A better measure would be breaking out the absolute cases, not per capita.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't infection rate evening out simply a factor of there being very few cases? If only one person in the country has it and spreads it to their household of four, the R0 is 4, even if community spread outside of the household is 0.

I should be clearer, I don't mean the R0, I mean the daily number of cases. It stays at around 80 to 85.

Do you have a source that it's because of the infection rate? All I see is that they're doing it to provide better protection to customers and employees, but I might be missing the official statement.

It won't be in the official statement, but it is what Van Ranst and the likes have been saying.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I should be clearer, I don't mean the R0, I mean the daily number of cases. It stays at around 80 to 85.

It won't be in the official statement, but it is what Van Ranst and the likes have been saying.
Alright, I'll take your word for it :) Good development regardless of reasoning, of course.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
To play devil's advocate, the same would likely be true if you broke out the individual parts of Chile, Brazil, etc. If a country is doing poorly, it's likely that much of it is doing poorly. A better measure would be breaking out the absolute cases, not per capita.

Per capita comparisons is the only real way to compare severity and disproportionality across geographies of different population sizes. That's why mortality rates, arrest rates, jail rates, etc. are all calculated in per capita rates. Otherwise the trends are masked.

And in this case, large states that are doing well now (like NY) bring down national per capita rates and mask how poorly other states are doing.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen a lot of debate hear about opening schools during the pandemic so thought you might find this interesting: joint study by the health officials of Finland and Sweden about the effects.

www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se

Covid-19 in schoolchildren – A comparison between Finland and Sweden

In conclusion, closure or not of schools has had little if any impact on the number of laboratory confirmed cases in school aged children in Finland and Sweden. The negative effects of closing schools must be weighed against the positive effects, if any, it might have on the mitigation of the...

The setting for the study was pretty optimal since as you might now, Finland and Sweden are pretty comparable in many ways (culture, population size*, population density), but we in Finland shut down schools for most of Spring in March while Sweden kept them completely open.

The conclusion is as follows: Closure or not of schools has had little if any impact on the number of laboratory confirmed cases in school aged children in Finland and Sweden. The negative effects of closing schools must be weighed against the positive effects, if any, it might have on the mitigation of the covid-19 pandemic. The whole thing is available as PDF, recommend you read it for more details (personally didn't read it yet).

*) Sweden's population is roughly twice the Finnish population but it's still in the same ballpark compared to some larger European countries
Honestly the study is worthless. It's hard to say that kids don't catch and spread it when they literally note that you couldn't get tested basically in Sweden unless you were hospitalized. Frankly that ruins the entire study and just because testing was garbage across the board doesn't mean it makes the study valid. The only thing you can really say is that yes children and less likely to develop serious complications

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the study is worthless. It's hard to say that kids don't catch and spread it when they literally note that you couldn't get tested basically in Sweden unless you were hospitalized. Frankly that ruins the entire study and just because testing was garbage across the board doesn't mean it makes the study valid. The only thing you can really say is that yes children and less likely to develop serious complications

that's the flaw in this study but there are many other countries that had the same experience once they reopened schools. Qualifier on everything but this Sweden study is that you don't open schools when you have an uncontrolled spread going on.

As is general with these conversations in the US. It's large country and there is no one size fits all answer where people tend to focus on the worst areas and ignore others and use that to make sweeping generalizations.

Oct 27, 2017
Per capita comparisons is the only real way to compare severity and disproportionality across geographies of different population sizes. That's why mortality rates, arrest rates, jail rates, etc. are all calculated in per capita rates. Otherwise the trends are masked.

And in this case, large states that are doing well now (like NY) bring down national per capita rates and mask how poorly other states are doing.

I agree that it's the best way to compared places! However, breaking apart a place by regions does nothing to help compare the severity. To use an example: if a city has a 5% per capita infection rate, then breaking it into 10 districts that each also have between 4 to 6% infection rates shows nothing of value if compared to external entities. It is useful to compare internally.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Virginia spiked up to +943 cases today when we'd previously been having the 600-ish range, plus or minus 100. I'm really hoping if this is a trend that Northam has the the political courage to actually move the state, or at least regions of the state, back to early, more restrictive phases. Hampton Roads area has been spiking up for a week so it's a prime candidate, though I'm sure the stupid beach businesses will cry foul.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
that's the flaw in this study but there are many other countries that had the same experience once they reopened schools. Qualifier on everything but this Sweden study is that you don't open schools when you have an uncontrolled spread going on.

As is general with these conversations in the US. It's large country and there is no one size fits all answer where people tend to focus on the worst areas and ignore others and use that to make sweeping generalizations.
I think most of the conversation surrounds opening schools in areas with widespread uncontrolled spread. The Sweden study is often pointed to the only place that had uncontrolled spread with schools open. The problem is the study literally notes they weren't testing mild cases. That completely negates proof that kids didn't transmit it. Yes they didn't develop serious complications but what about teachers, parents, grandparents that would be in contact with those kids.

Honesty there are tons of other factors to take into consideration also. The average school size in the US is significantly bigger than in Sweden. I'm imagining the class size is also bigger in the US.
Bottom line the study is garbage and shouldn't be used in discussions about whether we should open schools. If we have better non garbage studies then let's use those

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
I agree that it's the best way to compared places! However, breaking apart a place by regions does nothing to help compare the severity. To use an example: if a city has a 5% per capita infection rate, then breaking it into 10 districts that each also have between 4 to 6% infection rates shows nothing of value if compared to external entities. It is useful to compare internally.
Sure however one thing is most US states are country sized geographically and population wise. so its kinda easier to compare states to countries (same is true for brazil,india and china). I gives a better sense of things and how the epidemic is managed. No method is perfect but it shows how it goes in the area you live.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I think most of the conversation surrounds opening schools in areas with widespread uncontrolled spread. The Sweden study is often pointed to the only place that had uncontrolled spread with schools open. The problem is the study literally notes they weren't testing mild cases. That completely negates proof that kids didn't transmit it. Yes they didn't develop serious complications but what about teachers, parents, grandparents that would be in contact with those kids.

Honesty there are tons of other factors to take into consideration also. The average school size in the US is significantly bigger than in Sweden. I'm imagining the class size is also bigger in the US.
Bottom line the study is garbage and shouldn't be used in discussions about whether we should open schools. If we have better non garbage studies then let's use those

Right, if there is uncontrolled spread pretty much everything should be closed and that obviously includes schools. If the R0 is below 1 and contact tracing can be reliably done, that's a different conversation.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Where do you go from there? How can you even control anything if 1 out of 3 is positive. Without a stop to economic activity it will infect everyone in no time

Especially when you consider the lag in infections due to infection period. Soon it will be 50% if nothing changes. It would likely stay around 15-30% even if they did a shut down like in April. Probably need a full 2 month shut down (what should have happened earlier) but they won't do it. So basically the government shut down for 6 weeks, the poor got inflicted with a huge burden while big businesses and the stock market got trillions.

Dec 12, 2017
Apparently CityMD the biggest urgent care chain in NYC, administered about 314,000 antibody tests in New York City, as of June 26. Citywide, 26 percent of the tests came back positive. That's very similar to the NY DOH study.

Dec 12, 2017
Oh nice, that's good to hear.

Quest has to have an absolute treasure trove of data with all those antibody tests they've run. Wish I could get a peak.
Yeah, I think that it means a few things.

NYC hasn't reached herd immunity, or is even close. But with the worst hit neighborhood (Corona, Queens) testing as high as 68 percent for antibodies, the virus spread his definitely slowed down. Even with a bias that is an absolutely alarming rate.

www.nytimes.com

68% Have Antibodies in This Clinic. Can a Neighborhood Beat a Next Wave? (Published 2020)

Data from those tested at a storefront medical office in Queens is leading to a deeper understanding of the outbreak’s scope in New York.

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
How is europe doing? We are hoping to move to Prague at the end of the year I am hoping things will be good by then. I want to be as far away from America as possible.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+367 new cases (174628 total)
+31 deaths (13532 total)

Rate of Transmission back down under 1
EclKdNHWkAUB2ul

EclKdp-XoAEd4qh

EclKjacXYAAx_G3

EclKkDUXgAA5Cmy

EclKklhWoAAp7eJ

EclKps_X0AAleF5

Tlozbj

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
Puerto Rico
Just did BioPanda antibody test. Positive on IgM and negative on IgG - surprising to me, as it's been at least a few weeks since the cough was insanely bad, but i do seem to have recurring symptoms now and again STILL.
Anyone with any idea what this means? Did not get swab test as wasn't available publicly until about 3+ weeks into my symptoms.

At best, I would think that there was a error in the test.

If you already went through the infection, you should be presenting IgG, not IgM. And in the strange occurence that you got reinfected, you should be producing both, because of the memories left behind from the initial infection and the ones that would naturally be produced anew the first 7 after the infection.

The other possibility is that because of the continuing symptoms, the inmune system is producing IgM in higher quantities to try and detect what is causing to initiate the inmune response, and it is just an issue with the sample they took for the test only presenting IgM.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Just uninstalled a news app from my phone. Getting a notification every day about the "COVID report" and "WHO says shit is more fucked than yesterday, click here for details" finally got to me.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Gov Dewine in OH isn't supposed to have a conference scheduled until next Tuesday.
Today we learned that there was over 1500 new cases confirmed in Ohio.

kazinova

Oct 27, 2017
Gov Dewine in OH isn't supposed to have a conference scheduled until next Tuesday.
Today we learned that there was over 1500 new cases confirmed in Ohio.

There's no justice in this world, the people depicting him as a Nazi on Twitter and those arguing, essentially, in favor of the virus will never see any punishment that doesn't also hit innocent people. I don't know what it will take to convince the morons that were initially programmed by Fox News to care.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Chile Update July 10th

+ 3.058 new positives, 309.274 total, 346.674 with probable cases
+ 99 new deaths,
  • 6.781 total by govt numbers
  • 7.735 total by Health Statistics Department
  • 10.837 total with probable cases, reported to the WHO
- 35.5 mortality per 100.000 inhabitants, 56,7 with probable cases

+ 17.727 reported tests, 1.255.359 total
- 17.3% daily positivity, 24,6% total positivity

General improvement, specially for the capital.

The elefant in the room is being addressed by part of the scientific community: the 4.000 death toll difference

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting tired of seeing people not wearing masks indoors in my state, and neighbors having large gatherings (including many children), none of whom are social distancing or wearing masks.

I just got back from the drugstore on the corner of my neighborhood, needed a few items. Some guy with a Trump shirt (first Trump hat or shirt I've ever seen in public) and no mask is complaining because he can't understand the worker, who is wearing a mask and eye protection. "You need to take off the mask so I's can unda'stand ya" he says, then proceeds to sneeze and complain about the cold he has.

Dude.

We've flattened the curve in my state (especially in my city, it never got out of hand) but with so many people like this walking around I fear another surge.
You're in NC, right? Whereabouts? In Durham, people have been pretty good about wearing masks indoors (except Home Depot/and Lowes, still awful there), but we've pretty much had a mask mandate since things really started kicking off.

Cases haven't been rising here as much as other states, but the positivity rate remains pretty damn high and hospitalizations are steadily increasing, as is the 7-day rolling average for new cases. Testing remains a huge barrier, especially in underserved communities and given there's still a 5-6 day wait for test results. But I work for DHHS and review the state-wide hospitalization data daily, so I'm generally pretty anxious about the state of things here. One of the regions in particular is in pretty bad shape considering the % of beds available. :(

Vic2003

Dec 8, 2017
Not going to happen but I would love to make the anti mask anti socially distance people sign a hypothetical waiver accepting responsibility for their actions saying neither them nor their families cannot receive medical treatment if they contract COVID. I wonder how many would agree to those terms?

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Italy's update:
+276 new positive cases (total 242639)
+12 new deaths (total 34938)
+295 new recoveries (total 194273)

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
You're in NC, right? Whereabouts? In Durham, people have been pretty good about wearing masks indoors (except Home Depot/and Lowes, still awful there), but we've pretty much had a mask mandate since things really started kicking off.

Cases haven't been rising here as much as other states, but the positivity rate remains pretty damn high and hospitalizations are steadily increasing, as is the 7-day rolling average for new cases. Testing remains a huge barrier, especially in underserved communities and given there's still a 5-6 day wait for test results. But I work for DHHS and review the state-wide hospitalization data daily, so I'm generally pretty anxious about the state of things here. One of the regions in particular is in pretty bad shape considering the % of beds available. :(

Virginia Beach, Virginia actually.

For our little pocket of the region we had the most cases the last I checked, but it was never many compared to other states. I work in healthcare IT myself, so I routinely "sit in" on the weekly meetings where cases and hospital load in our network is discussed. We did really well, and continue to do well, even though we had to basically transform a section of our largest hospital into a lab capable of handling COVID-19 testing early on in the epidemic (this was mostly to handle tests coming in from Northern Virginia).

Our network has a hospital in NC but I am not sure where they stand. I don't speak with my counterpart there often, and they never integrated well after we acquired them a few years back - they thought we would take their jorbs, so some of their leadership never gelled well with us. Instead, we gave them new titles, raises, and access to the latest and greatest tech. *shrug* What are ya gonna do?

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
I got gasoline for the first time in 4 months due to WFH. Stopped by the gas station after picking up my food. Man I was nervous lol. I wore my mask, and I also had Clorox wipes with me in the car, so I used a wipe as a sort of glove while touching the pump. Immediately afterwards I doused my hands in hand sanitizer I keep in my glove compartment and when I went home I washed my hands.

That was anxiety-inducing to say the least!