• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Still no bulletin for France for this weekend, i guess they have abandoned the thought of reporting saturdays and sundays now.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
As long as the New York tri-state area is under some degree of lockdown (no restaurants/bars open) and has high mask usage than it will act as a firewall for the rest of the NE. I doubt their is a large amount of folks from the worst hit states making their way to New England in droves right now.

Yeah, glad to see NY turning things around so well now as they were hit the worst when things started.
Very true on the traveling aspect of it too.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in CT and I don't know if we're gonna hold out doing well here. People seem to think that we've done it and beaten it and that attitude seems to be spreading. My biggest fear is that we go ahead with school openings (I'm a teacher and know how difficult it's going to be to actually try to distance students) and that makes things even worse.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in CT and I don't know if we're gonna hold out doing well here. People seem to think that we've done it and beaten it and that attitude seems to be spreading. My biggest fear is that we go ahead with school openings (I'm a teacher and know how difficult it's going to be to actually try to distance students) and that makes things even worse.
i'm assuming you saw that report of Bay Area principals meeting in person for no apparent reason and catching the virus, right? if left up to principals and district office staff around the country most schools would open up with zero restrictions whatsoever. they don't care.

i'd like to think the governors will step up in the next few weeks or so and at least delay the beginning of in-person instruction. the closer we get to opening back up the more insane this all feels.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
i'm assuming you saw that report of Bay Area principals meeting in person for no apparent reason and catching the virus, right? if left up to principals and district office staff around the country most schools would open up with zero restrictions whatsoever. they don't care.

i'd like to think the governors will step up in the next few weeks or so and at least delay the beginning of in-person instruction. the closer we get to opening back up the more insane this all feels.
Didn't hear about that. Our governor is the one who came out and said that we're going back and sent out a bunch of guidelines that all the superintendents and principals are trying to figure out how to implement right now.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't hear about that. Our governor is the one who came out and said that we're going back and sent out a bunch of guidelines that all the superintendents and principals are trying to figure out how to implement right now.
right, ours in VA announced a month ago that kids would be back in the classroom in the fall and sent out a book of guidelines as well. he then clarified after that those guidelines were not official law, so now a handful of superintendents in the state are attempting to file for a waiver from following them at all.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
How are you holding up Ramble ?

As far as I can tell I'm now on at least Day 13 of Coronavirus.

Thankfully it has been rather mild for me so far. Dry cough, sore throat, and a fever in the evenings only. Increased fatigue.

The downside is I have had to stop all my medication for my severe rheumatoid arthritis and it has come roaring back in full-force so I am once again crippled by arthritis, and am worried I have built up too many antibodies to the meds so they won't work. Only time will tell.

I go back this upcoming Thursday for another viral test. Hoping it will come back negative, because I cannot restart my RA meds until 2 weeks after I have tested negative.

We did find out my husband has low oxygen levels (from having coronavirus) by using that oximeter you recommended, so as soon we have permission he needs to go to the doctor to find out what can be done about that.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, glad to see NY turning things around so well now as they were hit the worst when things started.
Very true on the traveling aspect of it too.

I was afraid the protests would cause an increase in cases, but luckily this was not the case. With outdoor dining open for a week I hope they stay down. I guess it helps that over 80% of people I've seen are wearing masks.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
Turns out 50 "policy laboratories" handling the pandemic de novo was a complete failure.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think SARS just disappeared by itself, though? It was contained with a diligent public health response and the virus was not nearly as transmissible as this new one is.

The whole thing seems kind of nutty if I'm being honest, but they're of course welcome to present some evidence for their claim.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
That article has a lot of speculations and no proper explanation for those.

Also this " There was a cruise ship that went from South Georgia to Buenos Aires and the passengers were screened and then on day eight... they got the first case. Was it in prepared food that was defrosted and activated? " seems to lack basic understanding about how incubation period works.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think SARS just disappeared by itself, though? It was contained with a diligent public health response and the virus was not nearly as transmissible as this new one is.
It was less infectious, but there was a more basic advantage: Containment worked a lot better as you were only infectious when you were showing symptoms.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The whole thing seems kind of nutty if I'm being honest, but they're of course welcome to present some evidence for their claim.

I think they started with the same containment measure used for SARS when first the thing started spreading.

It's like when play the sequel in impossible difficulty thinking you can manage but get punched in the face.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Just had someone at work receive a call that his grandfather had passed from COVID and it was really heartbreaking. He started showing symptoms on Saturday and died just over 24 hours later. Apparently a cousin of his went over and gave it to a lot of his family without realizing it. He hasn't been in physical contact with them since February thankfully.

This is Florida of course.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Update from Slovenia: 16 new cases, 530 tests made. Half of them in the retirement home in Vipava, they are testing all employees and residents there.

Situation is Serbia is critical, they are assembling a field hospital in Belgrade Arena, because all beds are full all around the city of Belgrade.

Alligot80

Jan 1, 2018
We are trying to get our Junior football league in town going. Practice is supposed to start tonight. Got a call last night and a few family members of one of the kids on our team is showing symptoms and is getting tested today.
I was looking through the return to play guidelines, our schools guidelines and there is ZERO mention of what to do when family members might have it.
Obviously we are not going to allow him to come to practice until we know the test results. This entire thing just makes me realize that sports programs and schools are going to be damn near impossible to pull off this year.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I start to wonder if the E-cigs related pneumonia cases of last year might have something to do with Covid.

It's going to be interesting for the "chinese virus" narrative and blaming on China and the WHO if this ends up being true.
Wasn't that proven to be black market stuff? Like illegal cans of weed smoke.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We are trying to get our Junior football league in town going. Practice is supposed to start tonight. Got a call last night and a few family members of one of the kids on our team is showing symptoms and is getting tested today.
I was looking through the return to play guidelines, our schools guidelines and there is ZERO mention of what to do when family members might have it.
Obviously we are not going to allow him to come to practice until we know the test results. This entire thing just makes me realize that sports programs and schools are going to be damn near impossible to pull off this year.

Not to mention there will be people who don't disclose this information in fear of being blamed for shutting down the activity, it's a total mess. Team sports and school stuff just need to be cancelled in the US until a vaccine because we can't help ourselves

GarbColle

Sep 5, 2019
I start to wonder if the E-cigs related pneumonia cases of last year might have something to do with Covid.

It's going to be interesting for the "chinese virus" narrative and blaming on China and the WHO if this ends up being true.

This was linked to vitamin E acetate:

Outbreak of Lung Injury Associated with the Use of E-Cigarette, or Vaping, Products | Electronic Cigarettes | Smoking & Tobacco Use | CDC

CDC is investigating an outbreak of e-cigarette, or vaping, product use associated lung injury (EVALI). Learn CDC’s recommendations, and the latest outbreak information.

Alligot80

Jan 1, 2018
Not to mention there will be people who don't disclose this information in fear of being blamed for shutting down the activity, it's a total mess. Team sports and school stuff just need to be cancelled in the US until a vaccine because we can't help ourselves

My biggest fear is the people that won't report it. We live in a very small town but people are running all over for vacations and coming back right in time to start practice. I have 3 boys, one is going to be a senior this year and they all love sports. It sucks but I don't know how you do it with minimal risk, not just to players but coaches and teachers. I don't think people realize how old or unhealthy a lot of coaches are.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
They smoked crap, they paid for it. Most of them even admitted it. If it was Covid, we should have at least seen non-vapers get it.
This was linked to vitamin E acetate:

Outbreak of Lung Injury Associated with the Use of E-Cigarette, or Vaping, Products | Electronic Cigarettes | Smoking & Tobacco Use | CDC

CDC is investigating an outbreak of e-cigarette, or vaping, product use associated lung injury (EVALI). Learn CDC’s recommendations, and the latest outbreak information.
Nah, that was vitamin E acetate, from what I understand.

They would also have tested for viruses and bacteria in those who were struck by that illness, where a new coronavirus would have been identified.

Yeah, thanks for the info.

I guess it'll take a while to be sure about where did this novel coronavirus came and how.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it'll take a while to be sure about where did this novel coronavirus came and how.

It doesn't matter a lot. It comes from bats, infects another animal and that leads to human transmission. All the rest is at this point more political.

This will hopefully put to rest that schools and young kids aren't vectors for outbreaks.

"Our K-2 camp (ages 13-18) will be closed for the remainder of this term

These aren't young kids, these are teens. They were not the point of discussion.

Oct 27, 2017
Of course it had to be in the city I work at.

I'm not blaming you for thinking this, but for the hundredth time, this has nothing to do with Houston specifically, it's the strain that has been spreading in the US since it came from Europe. Almost the entire epidemic in the US is from this strain. We just are surer now that it's more contagious than the Wuhan strain.

The headline is shittily misleading, and the tweet is amplifying the shitty misleading. Kyle Griffin's kind of a shitty twitter feed, to be honest.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I'm not blaming you for thinking this, but for the hundredth time, this has nothing to do with Houston specifically, it's the strain that has been spreading in the US since it came from Europe. Almost the entire epidemic in the US is from this strain. We just are surer now that it's more contagious than the Wuhan strain.

The headline is shittily misleading, and the tweet is amplifying the shitty misleading. Kyle Griffin's kind of a shitty twitter feed, to be honest.

Ahh okay.

Still sucks regardless mainly because there's people in Houston still not taking this serious.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Has this scientific article been discussed before?

Reduction and Functional Exhaustion of T Cells in Patients With Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Reduction and Functional Exhaustion of T Cells in Patients With Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Background: The outbreak of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) has posed great threat to human health. T cells play a critical role in antiviral immunity but their numbers and functional ...

Conclusions:
T cell counts are reduced significantly in COVID-19 patients, and the surviving T cells appear functionally exhausted. Non-ICU patients with total T cells counts lower than 800/μL may still require urgent intervention, even in the immediate absence of more severe symptoms due to a high risk for further deterioration in condition.

bigsnack

May 9, 2018
Los Angeles
I have a question for everyone. I think a number of folks originally suspected that they may have already gotten COVID19 earlier in the year, based on being unbelievably sick in the December - Feb timeframe. I'm also one of those people. I was sicker than I ever remember being as an adult, with muscle weakness and body fatigue, intense headache and eye pain for 3 days, fever for about a week. I didn't lose my sense of taste / smell from what I remember though. I did take an antibody test, but that was months later and I've now heard that the active antibodies may actually already be gone by then.

I know I've been exposed (found out after the fact) to folks that have had COVID19, and luckily I haven't fallen ill. My question to everyone is, did anyone here get that super bad sickness in the winter AND then later got COVID19? I'm starting to think again that maybe I actually did have it back in February.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This will hopefully put to rest that schools and young kids aren't vectors for outbreaks.

www.news-leader.com

Missouri health department: 49 Kanakuk campers, counselors positive for COVID in Stone County

The positive case count increased from Thursday into Friday, according to a state health department spokesperson.
As in, they are vectors? I'm reading they shutdown the camp site after campers (13-18) "given to us from parents of asymptomatic campers already returned home"

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
With the unemployment benefits ending at the end of the month, earlier for some places. What are people supposed to do that can't go back to work? It sounds like a very safe prediction that it won't be extended in the next bill. And no idea when the next bill will even happen.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
NY numbers. Cuomo also had a conference this morning updating on how the state was reopening and ripped on Trump for the "test less" remarks.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Chile Update July 6th

+ 3.025 new positives, 298.557 total and 333.458 with probable cases.
+ 76 new deaths
  • 6.384 reported by government
  • 7.338 reported by the Health Statistics Department
  • 10.440 with probable (this number is the one reported to the WHO)
+ 16.377 reported tests, 1.198.261 total tests.
- 18.5% daily positivity, 24.9% total positivity. A new improvement.

Despite improvements, Chile is now 6th in total cases in the world, 5th counting probable cases (only below India, Russia, Brazil and USA). 5th Per cápita, 3rd in the world counting probables. I hope we keep improving. If this is the case, we might be looking at the peak, at least for the capital (250.000+ cases just there with 7 million population), currently around 23% positivity here. Other regions, like the one right next to us with its positivity near 50%. , are facing different moments of the curve.

In other related news, heavy critisism is being aimed at the government since the announcement from the President last night: a new bill to help the middle class during the economic crisis due to Covid-19. His plan? Give easy access to loans and credit line to an already heavily in debt class.

It doesn't matter a lot. It comes from bats, infects another animal and that leads to human transmission. All the rest is at this point more political.

Indeed.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
woay.com

Gov. Justice makes masks mandatory in indoor places - WOAY-TV

CHARLESTON, WV (WOAY) - Gov. Jim Justice is ordering everyone to wear a mask out in West Virginia starting on Tuesday, July 7, at 12 am. Justice made the announcement during his daily press briefing, and as the state is continuing to see an increase in cases. On Sunday, the Mountain State saw...

CHARLESTON, WV (WOAY) – Gov. Jim Justice is ordering everyone to wear a mask out in West Virginia starting on Tuesday, July 7, at 12 am.

Oct 27, 2017
Kid and I got haircuts today. In the middle of the haircut, a woman walks in with her mask below her nose. Because of course.

Here in CT I don't think the bars are going to open for a while yet. And movie theaters opened a few weeks ago, but shut down again due to slow business (running classic movies at 50% occupancy wasn't something people were going to come out for, I guess).

My opinion is that any delay in opening indoor spaces to at least 50% occupancy, whether for health or economic reasons, is going to delay opening schools in-person. That and trying to open schools in-person with as many as 130 less positions due to budget cuts, at least in my town.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017

These aren't young kids, these are teens. They were not the point of discussion.

www.cnn.com

Texas coronavirus cases top 1,300 from child care facilities alone | CNN

Texas, along with 31 other states, is dealing with a new influx of coronavirus cases -- leaving many parents in limbo about when or whether to send children back to day care.

Are these young enough?

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
My best friend went on a roadtrip to Yellowstone from Chicago two weeks ago with his partner. They primarily kept to themselves and what contact they had with other people was while wearing masks and mostly outdoors... until they got to Wisconsin and went to a gay bar. Of course last week they both got really sick. My friend especially was incredibly ill. He said he was so sick, he thought he was going to die, while his partner only experienced mild flu-like symptoms. They're still waiting for results, but with all of his symptoms, it seems pretty obvious it's COVID. All because they couldn't wait to go on a trip or go to a bar. They are both very educated and seemingly intelligent, and politically liberal. This virus doesn't care how smart you are or who you voted for. A beer at the bar isn't worth dying for or causing harm to others! Unfortunately, many people refuse to take it seriously until it's too late. We're really in for a world of hurt as the summer progresses...