• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, this is the same virus we've always had in Europe/U.S., it's just been more solidly confirmed recently that it is more contagious than the Wuhan strain, though not noticeably deadlier.

But news sites and doom-tweeters are picking up the "new" information and phrasing it like it's become more contagious in the past week or two, because they're either recklessly misconstruing it or going for panic clicks. Or whynotboth.gif

Oct 27, 2017
That's all of NYS and 2 weeks after reopening and a month after protests began. This is pretty encouraging.
Yeah if we make it to August without any spike. It's smooth sailing for awhile.

NY's been flat/wobbly for a couple of weeks now, it's kind of hard to tell what it's doing, although it's clear we haven't surged again. This is a weekend number but still a pretty normal number of tests. And then the other day we had the most daily cases in a few weeks and a high-ish positivity rate. Stalling is better than rising, certainly. Wish we could drop by half again though.

What's the excess "pneumonia" death rate look like?

NY / NYC has counted a few thousand probable COVID deaths. I don't think the "excess pneumonia" thing is something to really look at, it seems like a lot of murky misconstrued data reading.

This is not to say COVID deaths aren't undercounted. They are probably significantly undercounted. But the "excess pneumonia" feels like bad data to use.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
What's the excess "pneumonia" death rate look like?
I don't bother with that. I only deal with the hard data we do have not trying to tease out suspected malfeasance from other data sets. Hospitalizations are the main metric I use. If the hospitals are close to empty then things are stable right now.
NY's been flat/wobbly for a couple of weeks now, it's kind of hard to tell what it's doing, although it's clear we haven't surged again. This is a weekend number but still a pretty normal number of tests. And then the other day we had the most daily cases in a few weeks and a high-ish positivity rate. Stalling is better than rising, certainly. Wish we could drop by half again though.
I know what you mean. Wish it would just go away lol. With things reopening I think we can't expect it to get much lower than what it's at now. Atleast until a proven treatment or a vaccine shows up.

Oct 27, 2017
I also wish NY made it's new hospitalizations visible. I know they have it, Cuomo showed it sometimes in the updates. At this point we've had 600-900 daily cases for weeks. We must have a decent picture of what the real hospitalization rate is.

Well, NYC shows its own, but I think there's significant city/state discrepancies and too much to extrapolate. (It seems high if I ballpark estimate it.)

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+398 new cases (173402 total)
+23 deaths (13355 total)

Significant drop in hospitalizations. Hard to tell if it's because of the holiday weekend or not. It would be nice to keep this as low as possible heading in to schools reopening in 2 months.

917 in hospitals
210 in ICU
151 on ventilators

Dec 12, 2017
I also wish NY made it's new hospitalizations visible. I know they have it, Cuomo showed it sometimes in the updates. At this point we've had 600-900 daily cases for weeks. We must have a decent picture of what the real hospitalization rate is.

Well, NYC shows its own, but I think there's significant city/state discrepancies and too much to extrapolate. (It seems high if I ballpark estimate it.)

forward.ny.gov

COVID-19

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I've lost all hope that it's going to get better in the US. There is almost no leader in this country at any level who is willing to do what it would take to tackle this thing without compromise.

Even if all the sudden everyone magically started perfect mask wearing of their own accord it feels like it won't make much difference if we otherwise go about our daily business. We are so obsessed with the mask "debate" without even worrying about the myriad of other ways it will spread.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Is there an Unemployment thread or OT? I swear someone started one for the pandemic assistance, but I couldnt find one using the search.

Theres something going on with unemployment in multiple states that wont allow people to file their weekly claim this week. Not sure whats going on, but man its already such a pain the ass just to get your application in, if I have to go through that all over again. Especially with only 3 weeks or so left.

EDIT: I found this on Reddit regarding what may be going on with people's benefits for this week:

I'm not sure if this will help any of y'all but in Alabama right now they are redetermining claims with the year end date of 7/4/20 as required by law they have to redetermine eligibility of pua claimants every quarter. & since they have started a lot of people's trackers are showing theirs is ended and needing to refill a claim but adol says not to that it will automatically roll over and determine eligibility and they say it shouldn't break any claims so hopefully we still get paid as normal.

Says its for Alabama, but Im assuming other states are going through the same.

Last edited:

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
I thought we would see a bigger dip today due to the 4th but we are already at 28k with most states not reporting yet

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Chile Update July 5th

+ 3.685 new positives, 295.532 total, 330.183 with probable cases
+ 116 new deaths,
  • 6.308 total by government numbers
  • 6.888 total by the counting of DEIS (Health Information and Statistics Department)
  • 9.734 total with probable cases (every symptom, no PCR performed)
+ 18.004 new tests, 1.181.884 total.
- Daily positivity is 20,5%, 25,0% overall. A slight improvement.

We are still among the most affected countries in the world by the pandemic, but things seems to be stabilizing.

We expect a lot of talks about reopening to start now. Government is hiring to start a "safe reopening campaign" for the State workers (state offices and such). Budget is 130.000.000 Chilean Pesos, or 432 minimum wages, to do a communication campaign on reopening state services. This would be the second time they are attempting this.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
We had so much time to set up drive thru testing and tracing like South Korea did, but what happened? Jack shit, testing is backed up and I won't get my results for 7-10 days. I hate this country so much.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania had a chance to be in the Yellow and potentially green for progress, but nope. Gotta open up our state.

Fucking idiots.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure what more you expect of Do Nothing Donny.
LOL.

HIs polls are cratering and many pundits think his weak response to coronavirus is the reason. Yet, he's acting like an ostrich with his head in the sand.

You'd think he do something just for the politics, but the administration is letting the US burn literally.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
It seemed ppl stopped caring as well. Where's Trump? He's basically ignoring this.
I'd say what's happened in the U.S. is a lack of initial planning, a poorly thought out push to re-open, people not caring, and leadership failing spectacularly. We're at a point now where the Trump administration's messaging starting next week is supposedly "we need to learn to live with it."

Unfortunately, I don't really think there was ever going to be a solution to people no longer caring. Part of it has to do with the economic situation being as bad as it is in the U.S. People aren't able to pay the bills (this is entirely a failing of the U.S. government, not halting rent, electricity, water payments), and their Trump bucks are out. it turned out 1200 dollars was never going to get anyone very far.

This has resulted in people saying fuck it and trying to return to their normal lives, in part because they have to go back to their jobs and pay the bills. Some are doing it in a way that at least minimizes their chances of getting the virus (wearing masks, social distancing etc), while others are being much more reckless and not even wearing masks.

I spent the longest amount of time outside that I've probably spent since the pandemic started and I was extremely disheartened by the amount of people not wearing masks, not bothering to social distance (I'm in Georgia).

So it's just idk what to say other than for the next few weeks and months, things are looking pretty grim in the U.S.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Tension starting to simmer in BC, Canada about US license plates being spotted around the place, here's a post from the Vancouver subreddit:

Basically, people can cross the US/Canada border into Canada if they say they're going to Alaska. Many aren't, and are going on vacation in Canada instead. Understandably, people here don't want them and are starting to react

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
LOL.

HIs polls are cratering and many pundits think his weak response to coronavirus is the reason. Yet, he's acting like an ostrich with his head in the sand.

You'd think he do something just for the politics, but the administration is letting the US burn literally.

That means he actually has to do something!!! God forbid he gets off Twitter/watching TV.

And he knows it's something that he can't win against so it may as well not exist.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017

I know Baker isn't requiring MA residents who travel to other New England states to quarentine on return or require people from other New England states to quarantine if they visit MA but this worries me as it feels like it doesn't matter how well the northeast is currently handling it seems inevitable that the rising cases in all the other states are going to make their way and ruin all the progress that has been made and cause cases to spike in MA/other states closeby again. Currently scheduled to get my job back the week of August 2nd after being laid off since March but if the rest of the country spiking causes the infection rates in the Northeast to go up again who knows if I'll even end up getting it back =/

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Italy's update:
+192 new positive cases (total 241611)
+7 new deaths (total 34861)
+164 new recoveries (total 192108)

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
I know Baker isn't requiring MA residents who travel to other New England states to quarentine on return or require people from other New England states to quarantine if they visit MA but this worries me as it feels like it doesn't matter how well the northeast is currently handling it seems inevitable that the rising cases in all the other states are going to make their way and ruin all the progress that has been made and cause cases to spike in MA/other states closeby again. Currently scheduled to get my job back the week of August 2nd after being laid off since March but if the rest of the country spiking causes the infection rates in the Northeast to go up again who knows if I'll even end up getting it back =/

As long as the New York tri-state area is under some degree of lockdown (no restaurants/bars open) and has high mask usage than it will act as a firewall for the rest of the NE. I doubt their is a large amount of folks from the worst hit states making their way to New England in droves right now.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know the link for reporting violations for Illinois. I know for a fucking fact my stupid aunt and that whole family will be parading around after getting back between Illinois and Wisconsin when those idiots should be locked in for 2 god damn weeks.