• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Lots of cases cropping up in my city now, we didn't really get anything back before the initial shutdown but now we've had multiple tracking to establishments the last two days.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's crazy about the US situation is that it's a lot more younger people getting infected now then in the NY outbreak so in theory that wouldn't strain the hospital system as much since younger people tend to get over it on average, without hospitalization. BUT we have so many fucking cases now that Arizona and Texas are already starting to see a strain on their hospitals and could legitimately get overrun. Just wild

Europe is finally realizing that there's no way to go back to normal life until we get a vaccine.

US will get there by sheer force of overwhelming death, but we'll get there.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Even excess deaths probably doesn't really capture things correctly since deaths that would occ
Maybe this is being discussed in Wrestle Era but this is the first time I've heard of someone (semi famous) claiming to be reinfected:

I'm hoping maybe a false positive like the other cases? Or is this common (and terrifying) knowledge?

The problem is that this thing is too new to know for sure. There have been a few cases that indicate it might be possible, but there's been no comprehensive studies that prove it either way.

I think it's wise to still be careful even if you've had it.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Evidence seems to be likely not. Massachusetts announced they tested 17,000 people from the protests and they were just 2.5% positive which is barely above their normal testing percent. NYC is still going downward and had some protest tests too I believe which came back pretty similarly.
I don't think you can look at the raw numbers of infected protestors - the major impact will be from people travelling to the protests and then taking it back to communities and populations that have had minimal exposure.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
So that's what I'm asking. Do multiple studies show that people can't get reinfected? I hadn't heard conclusive evidence either way, and it's a pretty important topic. You'd think if even one person was verified as reinfected that would throw a wrench into a lot of things.

Hopefully at least one of the tests she took was faulty or there's some other explanation.
everytime there was a story about a reinfection it was more so the fact that you can still test positive long after you got it. Viral shedding seems to be variable and for some reason can stay in certain people's systems for a LONG time. They aren't contagious during that, but can be positive. You would most likely see more of this in sporting events where they would repeatedly treat people over a long period of time.

it's only been 6-8 months of the virus so no one knows how long immunity lasts because it really hasn't been that long in general.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I watched alot of streams while that was going on and got to say, a overwhelming majority where wearing masks. I don't think it was lost on them that they still had to protect themselves from the virus.....which just goes to show. Wear the damn masks people
Seattle is generally pretty good with mask usage, but it was still way higher in protests. Pretty close to 100% from what I've seen, and in every march I've been to there were people handing out free masks and hand sanitizers.
They did a whole lot of testing here recently and I believe they have found no evidence that those protests are a serious infection vector.

Not sure about that dumb occupy shit though.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Ugh one of my co-workers just had another person he knew suffering from "pneumonia". The first one died suddenly and sounds like this person isn't doing any better. I really DO wonder if it's an undocumented COVID case (the first person came back as negative, supposedly). With hearing how some hospitals (especially in specific states) have been fudging their numbers and calling everything "pneumonias", I do have to wonder... Not that it makes the situation any better when someone is in critical condition, but it kind of makes it WORSE if it does end up being a case of a somewhat fake diagnoses just to make the numbers low :/

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+406 new cases (170196 total)
+26 deaths (13018 total) There are another 1854 deaths as "probable" covid deaths they went through so the real number is 14872.

Uptick in positivity and rate of transmission, not unsurprising as the state continues to open up, the important thing to note is that the positive cases and the hospitalizations are still flat/trending down so the numbers now will come from spike events like a party or a bar breaking the rules.
EbX63swWoAERAI-

EbX64KRXQAEWkAP

EbX7JmcWsAIO2Cp

EbX7KJJXQAM9C1I

EbX7KsrXQAAnNpa

EbX7LH_WoAY0q3e

EbX7a0QXYAAqn03

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
My adopted mom's friend came over last week, and today she tested positive for COVID. Now my grandma, my brother, and I are showing symptoms.

*fnaf yayyyyy sound*

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh one of my co-workers just had another person he knew suffering from "pneumonia". The first one died suddenly and sounds like this person isn't doing any better. I really DO wonder if it's an undocumented COVID case (the first person came back as negative, supposedly). With hearing how some hospitals (especially in specific states) have been fudging their numbers and calling everything "pneumonias", I do have to wonder... Not that it makes the situation any better when someone is in critical condition, but it kind of makes it WORSE if it does end up being a case of a somewhat fake diagnoses just to make the numbers low :/

I'd hope they did a second test. Seen a few in a bad way that were only caught with the second test.

Do we have any new excess deaths data for US? Seems so far it's inline roughly but maybe this month and next will expose any attempts to make it seem low.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I'd hope they did a second test. Seen a few in a bad way that were only caught with the second test.

I'm not sure how many post-mortem tests even get done since this sounded like it happened very quickly (also as seen with many people that died in a few days of COVID symptoms). What's sad is if/when sketchy stuff like that gets done, it REALLY can diminish what COVID is capable of and have people think "oh, they weren't well/older and just happened to get sick" way of thought.

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
Woldometers is showing a big jump in deaths in the US (more than 2000), mostly coming from NJ (1743 deaths from that state alone).

Was there an update?

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
so a number of districts here in VA have started releasing school reopening plans and looks like most are settling on some variation of 2 days of in-school learning, 3 days of online while opening on time in August

it's crazy

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
So that's what I'm asking. Do multiple studies show that people can't get reinfected? I hadn't heard conclusive evidence either way, and it's a pretty important topic. You'd think if even one person was verified as reinfected that would throw a wrench into a lot of things.

Hopefully at least one of the tests she took was faulty or there's some other explanation.
With every disease there will always be a chance of reinfection, but you can generally assume that for normal individuals it will be very low. It will also depend on the virus itself, if antigenic drift is possible without removing function then a slightly different strain may appear that can infect those previously exposed.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
so a number of districts here in VA have started releasing school reopening plans and looks like most are settling on some variation of 2 days of in-school learning, 3 days of online while opening on time in August

it's crazy

Are they going to actually stagger which kids are in school which day? If the entire student body is coming on the same 2 days each week that plan might as well be 5 days each week.

Oct 27, 2017

it's crazy

I don't know how you have kids in school 4 days (alternating 2 days), while teachers in school 5 days when their own kids are home 3 days. Plus there are so many medically-at-risk staff that work at schools, they may not be able to risk showing up to work. And substitute teacher mechanisms are basically a bust if they can only serve as forced class babysitters. When there's a case of potential exposure in the school then everyone has to quarantine at home for two weeks anyway, while the school is cleaned (again).

We're about to get this kind of thing disclosed in CT in about 10 minutes or so, will update on what they say.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Portugal:

40.415 confirmed cases.
+ 311 since yesterday. 0.78% growth.
1549 deaths.
+ 6 since yesterday.
26.382 recoveries.
+ 299 since yesterday.

436 people hospitalised.
+ 7 since yesterday.
67 in the ICU.
- 6 since yesterday.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Governor Lamont's about to go on and talk about how school for CT will work next year. I'm prepared to hear a bunch of stuff that it will be impossible for me to implement in my classroom...

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Italy's update:
+296 new positive cases (total 239706)
+34 new deaths (total 34678)
+614 new recoveries (total 186725)

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
Even excess deaths probably doesn't really capture things correctly since deaths that would occ

The problem is that this thing is too new to know for sure. There have been a few cases that indicate it might be possible, but there's been no comprehensive studies that prove it either way.

I think it's wise to still be careful even if you've had it.

We don't know for how long immunity lasts in general. With so many cases, there are always going to be people whose immunity doesn't last for long, but if it turns out to be temporary immunity for pretty much everybody (I've heard 3 months to 1 year as the range other Coronaviruses are in), then there's no real "herd immunity" strategy to be followed at all.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Bulletin for the
French situation for the 25/06:

xxxxxx confirmed cases (unpublished, was 161348 yesterday)
hospital:
9141 hospitalized -158 in 24 H (124 entries)
651 in intensive care -7 in 24 H (15 entries)
19264 dead + 21 in 24 H

Care homes:
37995 cases
10488 dead

Total 29752 deaths +21 in 24H
icu0625mkk52.png

Hospital graphs
covid0625ohj1c.png

ICU entries:
covidcare_hosp0625w2j5b.png

Oct 27, 2017
Governor Lamont's about to go on and talk about how school for CT will work next year. I'm prepared to hear a bunch of stuff that it will be impossible for me to implement in my classroom...

Well that was unexpected - 5 days, all students, but be prepared for remote learning anyway. Lower grades K-8 are kept to one class, so if a kid or teacher is exposed at home or something, it's isolated to the 25 students in a class. Nothing on sports or the arts. So there really isn't a plan yet.

Here in Stamford the preliminary plan they're trial ballooning is alternating two groups of students two days a week. Still a tough thing.

It seems to me like we're basically going to ultimately end up with district-by-district plans anyway, either by outbreak or teacher/parent pushback.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Are they going to actually stagger which kids are in school which day? If the entire student body is coming on the same 2 days each week that plan might as well be 5 days each week.

Ya, that wouldn't make much sense. If you're spreading it out to two days in school per week so that half the students are there at a time, which would allow significantly greater social distancing, that would make some sense for areas which are doing okay since we know kids doing elearning aren't getting the same level of education.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Well that was unexpected - 5 days, all students, but be prepared for remote learning anyway. Lower grades K-8 are kept to one class, so if a kid or teacher is exposed at home or something, it's isolated to the 25 students in a class. Nothing on sports or the arts. So there really isn't a plan yet.

Here in Stamford the preliminary plan they're trial ballooning is alternating two groups of students two days a week. Still a tough thing.

It seems to me like we're basically going to ultimately end up with district-by-district plans anyway, either by outbreak or teacher/parent pushback.

Teacher unions are really strong in our state, I imagine they'll be a lot of push back if plans put teachers at risk.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Their plan is no plan beyond:
1. Try to keep students together (impossible at high school)
2. Keep desks far apart (in my classroom for the amount of students I have that's... not very far)
3. Wear masks
4. Wash hands

Also I'm probably going to have a bunch of kids I have to teach online on top of in person because I know some parents are going to hold their kids at home.

At least they left open the idea of closing down again if things are bad...

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Chile Update June 25th

+ 4.648 new positives, 259.064 total, 286.257 total with suspected cases
*HOWEVER* the state office - independet of Health MInistry - that is counting death toll is reporting today 5.257 deceased, NOT counting the probable cases
+ 172 new deaths, 4.903 total, 7.972 total with suspected cases
* 1.751 connected to a ventilator, 427 of them in critical condition. 2.078 in ICUs in total.
+ 17.446 new tests reported, 1.025.081 total

A bump in tests and a bump on positives. Daily positive rate is 26,6%, total positive rate is now 25.3%.

However Health Minister again said that we saw a slight decrease in total cases in spite of how tests have behaved.

Days ago, we knew that the driver of Health Sub-Secretary Paula Daza had Covid so she initiated quatantine since she was in the same vehicle with him. Supposedly she fufilled the quarantine, however, one of the main newspaper today revelaed that she just had 5 days of quatantine instead of 14. Healthcare Network Sub-Secretary also did a short quarantine that sparked controversy by that time. Well, anyway, today, on the wake of this news, new Health Minister Enrique Paris gave his full, "100% support" of what Daza did.

It's also pretty much confirmed that the Uncle of President Piñera did indeed died of Covid19 related pneumonia. So, by all accounts, every single health and safety protocol was broken by him and their relatives at his funeral.

Oct 27, 2017

One person getting reinfected doesn't necessarily throw a wrench into things, although it sure as shit would make one want to look for more possible reinfections.

You can't really show "Not getting reinfected", you just have to see if reinfections ever show up. The longer it takes for them to show up, the more likely immunity is preventing them from showing up.

We have millions and millions of cases now and no verified reinfections. And even with overwhelming immunity, some number of people are likely just going to be wildly unlucky and not produce enough antibodies or whatever. That doesn't really mean "no immunity".

The question isn't really "is reinfection possible", it's "how long before *most* people are vulnerable to reinfection". If like one to five percent of people can get reinfected after a few months but it lasts years for the other 95%, that's still effectively long-term immunity.

But if, say, HALF the cases are vulnerable again after a few months or less than a year, that's a problem.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is getting pretty fucking insane, we have to pray that the younger skew of these infections help deaths because otherwise the rest of the country is going to make NY's outbreak seem like a walk in the park

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
This is getting pretty fucking insane, we have to pray that the younger skew of these infections help deaths because otherwise the rest of the country is going to make NY's outbreak seem like a walk in the park
Hopefully they are staying away from older folks.

But.....they probably aren't.

Oct 25, 2017

While it is, the problem is that a runaway infection in younger people will trickle up either through family, or jobs, over time. For example, a lot of nursing homes employ cheaper, younger employees in a lot of different capacities to keep costs down soooo....

Oct 27, 2017
While it is, the problem is that a runaway infection in younger people will trickle up either through family, or jobs, over time. For example, a lot of nursing homes employ cheaper, younger employees in a lot of different capacities to keep costs down soooo....
Yep. I think we're watching the "invisible" part of the northeast wave in the rest of the country now