• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
My area of PA is moving to the "green" zone this Friday, which means most everything is open but with restrictions.

Masks are required at the gym which should be interesting. I wore one yesterday during my home workout to test it out. It wasn't ideal but I didn't over exert myself.

I'll check out my gym Saturday. If people are actually distanced, wearing masks and the staff are constantly cleaning, I'll go.
If those things aren't happening. My membership is going on hold.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Washington Post and Reuters posted a couple of info about the situation in Chile.

Washington Post basically tears apart the response to the virus

Reuters released a report on how one Hospital has implemented a safety protocol to let a relative say goodbye to their loved ones.

Taiwan marks 73 days without new local coronavirus case
Taiwan only has 4 patients still being treated for coronavirus, 435 released from quarantine

Taiwan's Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Wednesday (June 24) announced zero new cases of Wuhan coronavirus (COVID-19), marking 73 days without a new local infection.
During his weekly press conference on Wednesday afternoon, Minister of Health and Welfare and CECC head Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) announced there were no new cases of coronavirus. Taiwan's total number of cases still stands at 446.

www.taiwannews.com.tw

Taiwan marks 73 days without new local coronavirus case | Taiwan News | 2020-06-24 14:17:00

Taiwan only has 4 patients still being treated for coronavirus, 435 released from quarantine | 2020-06-24 14:17:00

It boils my blood every time an official says that "not one country was prepared for this" when talking about their own incompetence.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm in a small town in Illinois with 1 small local grocery. The grocery store just announced one of their workers tested positive for Covid19. They sent this person home, and expressed how they were sanitizing everything and that they use plexiglass screens and everyone is masked, etc. But are we not supposed to be contact tracing right now? My wife was a customer there on Saturday and for sure she was in a short distance of this person. Shouldn't they be sending every employee that was in reasonable distance of the infected person home and quarantining them until they test negative? I thought that was the whole point of this phase.

yup, contact tracing and quarantine protocols should have started once it was suspected, it should be part of national health guidelines of a country

Oct 27, 2017
Washington Post and Reuters posted a couple of info about the situation in Chile.

Washington Post basically tears apart the response to the virus

Reuters released a report on how one Hospital has implemented a safety protocol to let a relative say goodbye to their loved ones.

It boils my blood every time an official says that "not one country was prepared for this" when talking about their own incompetence.

Tamos hasta el lolly

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I live in Switzerland which has IMO performed "OK", they communicated well with a clear strategy but were too slow at the beginning to close the border with Italy and are opening up a bit too quickly for my liking. When you go to shops, the numbers are limited, got the curve right down, disinfectant everywhere, perspex screens at the checkouts etc. but there is a clear difference in behaviour now. Most people make no or little attempt to social distance, for many people It's clearly "over". The numbers have continued to be good, for several weeks had an average of 20 new cases per day and only the occasional death but there have been two "spike" days with 40 cases in the last week and it concerns me.
Considering this is one of the better Western countries, I fear for the world , places like India, South America, the redneck US States are going to be so fucked by this and so much of the death and damage done will have been avoidable.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Masks are once more mandatory indoors and on public transport in Slovenia, government put up a decree.

1222 tests done, 7 new cases today. 5 people in hospital, 1 on ICU

Last edited:

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Portugal:

40.104 confirmed cases.
+ 367 since yesterday. 0.9% growth.
1.543 deaths.
+ 3 since yesterday.
26.083 recoveries
+ 254 since yesterday.

439 people hospitalised.
- 2 since yesterday.
73 in the ICU.
+ 1 since yesterday.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+317 new cases (169982 total)
+48 deaths (12995 total)

Re-Opening news:
EbSxGk8XkAERT68

The governor went over the contact tracing ramp up in detail. It sounds very promising.

EbSvIBtXkAICqMx

EbSvXCmXsAMikSp

Once this on-boarding is done they'll have over 1100 contact tracers in place.

Positivity rate under 3%
EbSxVIyXQAExXAb

Rate of transmission still creeping up, the governor did note that 8 counties have a rate of transmission over 1.0

EbSxavYX0AMNZms

Something weird with the hospitalization data again, it went up a good chunk but according to the breakdown the discharges outnumbered the new hospitalizations.

EbSxkNnXYAIEVQB

EbSxkumX0AY-ak0

EbSxmpoXsAICk7A

EbSxnHSXkAEn7Ib

EbSxw6TWAAAzH4L

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The last few days (maybe 5?) i've had a chest irritation with a minor dry cough (no other symptoms) and wow it's stressful. if this happened 5 months ago i'd just consider it nothing.

(living in minnesota in a county with around 900 cases total)
Agreed with my husband to just wait and see if i get any other symptoms over time.

EDebs1916

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are there any theories on why Wisconsin hasn't exploded like a lot of the rush to open states? We seem to be heading in the right direction in IL, but I'm worried with the nicer weather, the 4th of July and the potential for outbreaks from our neighbors.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any theories on why Wisconsin hasn't exploded like a lot of the rush to open states? We seem to be heading in the right direction in IL, but I'm worried with the nicer weather, the 4th of July and the potential for outbreaks from our neighbors.
I think even with the Wisconsin Supreme Court canceling everything it was after states like Arizona, Texas, Florida, Georgia etc had reopened. I think most people expected a surge in cases much sooner but as other states have shown its more like 6 weeks before things start really ramping up. Also outdoor events are much safer so I think the heat in the south is being counterproductive by forcing people inside for air conditioning

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, we ventured out of our bubble today to go to the zoo with our little one. The entire time we were there we saw EIGHT people with masks. Total. I realize it's outside and not the hardest to distance, but come on...

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Chile Update June 24th

+ 3.649 new positives, 254.416 total, 280.600 with suspected cases
+ 226 new deaths reported, 4.731 total, 7.800 with suspected cases
* 1.742 connected to a ventilator, 424 in critical condition
* 12.575 reported tests, 1.007.635 total

Daily positive 29.0%, Total positive rate is 25.2%

Health Minister claims that in the last 7 days there has been a reduction in positive cases that is independent of daily tests. However, there are around 10.000 less tests in the past 7 days (June 17-24th), than the 7 days before them (June 9-16th). That's almost an entire day of tests less. Positive rate went from 19% to 25.2% in two weeks.

One thing that has been on discussion is that in the capital (hardest hit part), 60% of the workforce continues going to work every day. How is it possible that 60% are "essential"? Well, among the reasons are that companies can basically change their legal claims and pretend to be essential. That, and that there has been minimal to no fiscalization on the matter. In three months. So you'd think this would change, right?

Well, no. Of course not. Yesterday Government said that they would do an actual catalogue of what can and cannot be essential. Today Minister of Economy says that they can't do it because "necessities change every day". Businessmen celebrated that. Government claims there is no contradiction from yesterday to today.

I don't know if I should just post the numbers or if I also keep posting the context of what is going on here. There is something new everyday on how fucked things are, but if you are tired of it, you let me know.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I think we're seeing a shift in demographics of who is getting infected. It's skewing younger now which significantly lessens the chance of death.

Yeah I noticed there has been an uptick in infections with younger people now around the 20-30 age range. Not sure about severity but it's something I've noticed reading through some stuff.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Limited. The positivity rate of tests has remained stable/risen in a lot of states meaning that still a lot of more cases aren't being found. It is more likely the US previously simply had some bad epicenters, and that it now has spread widely through all the states except those previous epicenters.
Yup. It's best to think of individual states as their own entity/country in this situation and as such there is going to be different timelines for when cases get really bad due to different restrictions, reopening, etc.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Chile Update June 24th

+ 3.649 new positives, 254.416 total, 280.600 with suspected cases
+ 226 new deaths reported, 4.731 total, 7.800 with suspected cases
* 1.742 connected to a ventilator, 424 in critical condition
* 12.575 reported tests, 1.007.635 total

Daily positive 29.0%, Total positive rate is 25.2%

Health Minister claims that in the last 7 days there has been a reduction in positive cases that is independent of daily tests. However, there are around 10.000 less tests in the past 7 days (June 17-24th), than the 7 days before them (June 9-16th). That's almost an entire day of tests less. Positive rate went from 19% to 25.2% in two weeks.

One thing that has been on discussion is that in the capital (hardest hit part), 60% of the workforce continues going to work every day. How is it possible that 60% are "essential"? Well, among the reasons are that companies can basically change their legal claims and pretend to be essential. That, and that there has been minimal to no fiscalization on the matter. In three months. So you'd think this would change, right?

Well, no. Of course not. Yesterday Government said that they would do an actual catalogue of what can and cannot be essential. Today Minister of Economy says that they can't do it because "necessities change every day". Businessmen celebrated that. Government claims there is no contradiction from yesterday to today.

I don't know if I should just post the numbers or if I also keep posting the context of what is going on here. There is something new everyday on how fucked things are, but if you are tired of it, you let me know.

I appreciate what you are doing. Please continue.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Italy's update:
+190 new positive cases (total 239410)
+30 new deaths (total 346444)
+1526 new recoveries (total 186111)

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not from the UK but I was looking at photos of packed beaches there. Not only do these scenes look fucking awful under normal circumstances but with Covid, it makes it that much worse.

www.sfgate.com

Beaches packed as UK records hottest day of year

LONDON (AP) - Crowds flocked to Britain's beaches on Wednesday, as the U.K. recorded its hottest day of the year. Temperatures reached 32.6 degrees Celsius (90.7F) at London's Heathrow Airport. Forecasters expect the mercury to have risen to around 33C in parts of the country. The Met...

genericbrand

Oct 28, 2017
I suspect it's a combination of hiding some deaths as pnemonia and cardiac arrest (lying) and also more cases being detected than at the beginning where only very sick people were getting tested.

According to this tool

Mortality Tracker

As deaths attributed to COVID have declined, that has not occurred with the unclassified deaths or I'm not understanding the charts correctly

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I'm not from the UK but I was looking at photos of packed beaches there. Not only do these scenes look fucking awful under normal circumstances but with Covid, it makes it that much worse.

www.sfgate.com

Beaches packed as UK records hottest day of year

LONDON (AP) - Crowds flocked to Britain's beaches on Wednesday, as the U.K. recorded its hottest day of the year. Temperatures reached 32.6 degrees Celsius (90.7F) at London's Heathrow Airport. Forecasters expect the mercury to have risen to around 33C in parts of the country. The Met...
It isn't only in UK, I think it is in most of European countries - maybe not at the level of these photos on the beaches because the beach season is just beginning, but I saw comparable photos for the nightlife .

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin did not rush to open, the supreme court decision only opened things a week earlier than had been planned and a lot of counties and cities have been phasing in fairly slowly. Mask usage is low, a UW Madison study found only 41% usage in grocery stores, so we will eventually see numbers increase, it will just take longer than the Southern states where people are spending more time in air conditioned spaces.

Zerokku

Oct 25, 2017
Is the US lying about deaths? They've been really low lately.

Its one part different demographics getting sick, one part deaths being reported as a different statistic (Pneumonia deaths are unnaturally high almost everywhere, and particularly in a lot of red states with lower numbers.) And the last factor is that death is a trailing indicator and a lot of the places that started spiking have done so particularly over the last week or two. Which means another week or two before the death total starts spiking.

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
According to this tool

Mortality Tracker

As deaths attributed to COVID have declined, that has not occurred with the unclassified deaths or I'm not understanding the charts correctly

3) Are there any limitations of these data?

Yes. The tool displays provisional data which may be revised at any time by CDC. Limitations include that it can take weeks or even months for deaths to appear within the vital statistics system. It can also take months to resolve between certain common causes of death. For this reason, the most recent weeks have substantially fewer deaths than earlier weeks. Also some states are not shown in the tracker because of substantial delays in reporting.

That tool uses the CDC excess deaths data. It's lagging by a lot. If you add up the total for flu/pneumonia, and compare it to here, you will see it's way behind for a bunch of states.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, we ventured out of our bubble today to go to the zoo with our little one. The entire time we were there we saw EIGHT people with masks. Total. I realize it's outside and not the hardest to distance, but come on...
It doesn't spread outdoors very well. If you aren't coming into close contact with anyone else the chances of you getting it are nil.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
what will happen to America on July 4?

Imagine Memorial day - what happened then is what is happening now....

Now imagine that 100x more with half of the population wanting to celebrate the Independence of the nation by going to the beach/eating BBQ with family and the other half wanting to go out and celebrate by looking at fireworks.....