• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone help me understand the difference between a regular test and a rapid test? I have coworkers who've each had one or the other, and from what they said it sounds like the regular test involves swabbing one nostril while the rapid test swabs both (and also the rapid test may be more physically intense, literally swabbing the nostril faster/harder, but that may just come down to differences between the tester). But I'm looking at videos to see what the rapid test looks like and only seeing ones that show a finger prick blood draw?

So I'm confused, is the rapid test a two-nostril nasal swab or a blood draw?

finger prick is rapid antibody test, and not very accurate

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Hollywood Duo XMonkey

So yeah my parents went out to eat and they said everything was spread out but under like a wedding tent basically. When they sat people it was always the furthest away from another table. The waiter (who they said sat in a chair 6 feet away to talk lol) said they are keeping the outdoor dining indefinitely for people who are more comfortable to eat outside when NJ gives the ok to open indoor dining. They said they felt safe and there weren't that many people either when they went.
Nice, my experience has been similar. Everyone taking it seriously. Last night I had to do a temperature check and logged my info for contact tracing.

Kubuh

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Portugal (20th of July):

38.841 confirmed cases.
+ 377 since yesterday.
1.528 deaths.
+ 1 since yesterday.
24.906 recoveries.
+ 429 since yesterday.

422 people hospitalised.
70 in the ICU.
+ 3 since yesterday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has Sweden stopped sharing it's numbers? Or is WorldOMeter bugging out? Their last set of data is from the 18th.

Sweden has stopped reporting on the weekends as those numbers are pretty much useless anyway because of late reporting. And friday was a holiday as well. Numbers for the last 4 days coming tomorrow.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
Numbers for NY.

Today's update on the numbers:

67,526 tests were performed yesterday. 664 tests came back positive (0.98% of total).

Total hospitalizations fell to 1,142.

Sadly, there were 15 COVID fatalities yesterday.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
So all rapid tests are finger pricks? Or are there nasal swab rapids and finger prick rapids?

'rapid' tests are blood tests for antibodies

I don't know if a few hours result from a nasal swab can be called 'rapid' , but generally, rapid tests are finger pricks, and there is no rapid swab tests

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Sorry for not posting the update yesterday, it's an important one

Chile update, June 20th

+ 5.355 new positives, 236.748 total
+ 202 new deaths reported, 4.295 total (SEE COMMENT BELOW)
+ 1.683 ventilated, 416 in critical condition, 311 ventilators avaliable
+ 20.080 reported tests, 943.593 total

26.7% daily positive rate, 25.1% total

What was previously said to be "fake news", according to the government, the report that claimed that many more had died and was reported to the WHO and hidden from the public was true. 3.000+ deaths were not reported since they had every symptom but no PCR test.

The reported death toll up until yesterday is 7.364 with the chance of being more.

Right wing politicians and social media bots are still defending the government, even after they hid 30.000+ positives and 3.000+ deaths.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for not posting the update yesterday, it's an important one

Chile update, June 20th

+ 5.355 new positives, 236.748 total
+ 202 new deaths reported, 4.295 total (SEE COMMENT BELOW)
+ 1.683 ventilated, 416 in critical condition, 311 ventilators avaliable
+ 20.080 reported tests, 943.593 total

26.7% daily positive rate, 25.1% total

What was previously said to be "fake news", according to the government, the report that claimed that many more had died and was reported to the WHO and hidden from the public was true. 3.000+ deaths were not reported since they had every symptom but no PCR test.

The reported death toll up until yesterday is 7.364 with the chance of being more.

Right wing politicians and social media bots are still defending the government, even after they hid 30.000+ positives and 3.000+ deaths.

uh 26.7% positive rate is not good, and 20,080 tests is too few I think :(

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

'rapid' tests are blood tests for antibodies

I don't know if a few hours result from a nasal swab can be called 'rapid' , but generally, rapid tests are finger pricks, and there is no rapid swab tests
Gotcha, thanks. I'm planning to get tested this week and the clinic I'm going to said they offer just rapid tests.

WillRobBanks

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't about anyone else but out of five orders I placed on Etsy since the quarantine started, only two ever made it. Ridiculous, I'm guessing there is some major theft going on for anything that doesn't come from big retailers.

Sucks for those who risk going out of business because of all those lost orders refunds.

My wife and I both ordered from UK Etsy sellers. They shipped when stated but both took over a month to arrive, held up in customs

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
uh 26.7% positive rate is not good, and 20,080 tests is too few I think :(

Most of the positives are in the capital, where we've been for more than a month under "total" quarantine. Situation is out of control, mainstream media are still blaming the people, but in reality people has no other option but to keep working, either because of no social safety net or because is so easy for companies to say they are essential and just make workers assist.

It blows my mind that the government think they are protecting the economy. They aren't even doing that.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+411 new cases (169142 total)
+17 deaths (12870 total)

1105 are in hospitals
278 are in ICU
219 are on ventilators

EbDR5E0XgAAnEax

EbDR5PCXgAEX1qX

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Hollywood Duo XMonkey

So yeah my parents went out to eat and they said everything was spread out but under like a wedding tent basically. When they sat people it was always the furthest away from another table. The waiter (who they said sat in a chair 6 feet away to talk lol) said they are keeping the outdoor dining indefinitely for people who are more comfortable to eat outside when NJ gives the ok to open indoor dining. They said they felt safe and there weren't that many people either when they went.
That sounds like very abundant precautions, especially if it's still outdoors. If most places stick to something like that I can't see dining being a problem. Good job to NJ for taking it seriously.

Gotcha, thanks. I'm planning to get tested this week and the clinic I'm going to said they offer just rapid tests.
There are rapid tests for active infections that can give results in about 15 minutes (specifically I know Abbott makes one, probably others by now). That's what they use at the White House. They can use a variety of sampling methods to do the test.

But, if it's any sort of test involving blood then it's looking for antibodies only, not an active infection as far as I know. Infection tests are run off nasal swabs or saliva.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Nice, my experience has been similar. Everyone taking it seriously. Last night I had to do a temperature check and logged my info for contact tracing.

Ah nice yeah I remember Murphy saying they got over 50,000 applicants for contact tracing jobs so I'm glad the state is taking it seriously.

That sounds like very abundant precautions, especially if it's still outdoors. If most places stick to something like that I can't see dining being a problem. Good job to NJ for taking it seriously.

Yup here's hoping!

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Bulletin for the
French situation for the 21/06:

160377 confirmed cases + 284 in 24H
hospital:
9823 hospitalized -14 in 24 H (48 entries)
715 in intensive care no change in 24 H (5 entries)
19183 dead + 7 in 24 H

Care homes:
37901 cases
10457 dead

Total 29640 deaths +7 in 24H
covidcare_hosp06219cjqz.png

Hospital graphs
covid0621s8j6p.png

ICU entries:
icu0621q4k60.png

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Italy's update:
+224 new positive cases (total 238499)
+24 new deaths (total 34634)
+440 new recoveries (total 182893)

Meanwhile, today I read that R-rate in Germany returned to be 2.88:
metro.co.uk

Germany fears second coronavirus wave after 'R' rate leaps to 2.88

Authorities have called on police to enforce quarantine measures to stop the spread of coronavirus.
which seems quite a high value again, since it is important to keep it under 1.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Portugal:

39.133 confirmed cases.
+ 292 since yesterday.
1.530 deaths.
+ 2 since yesterday.
25.376 recoveries.
+ 470 since yesterday.

407 people hospitalised.
- 15 since yesterday.
69 in the ICU.
- 1 since yesterday.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
We had a meat plant with 7000 workers and so far over 1000 of those have tested positive. Not sure if all have been tested by now, but I doubt it. So it's localised.
Many of them returned to their home countries before they could be put under quarantine...I think? the whole story is infuriating on many levels.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I never worked in a meat factory. But 1 in 7 infected sounds awful, especially in a place that SHOULD be top-notch with their hygiene and mask usage.
How did they all get infected? What is the difference between the social contacts and distances involved in a meat factory and other crowded places like call centers and schools? Or is there no difference and we are looking at new infection spikes after more reopenings?

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I never worked in a meat factory. But 1 in 7 infected sounds awful, especially in a place that SHOULD be top-notch with their hygiene and mask usage.
How did they all get infected? What is the difference between the social contacts and distances involved in a meat factory and other crowded places like call centers and schools? Or is there no difference and we are looking at new infection spikes after more reopenings?
As far as I got from the news, the proposed standards were simply not followed. No 1,5m distance during lunch for example - and god know how many people in there at the same time. Also many people working there were migrant workers who came from, for example, poland to work there. And due to the long weekend we had last week (thursday was a day off and then take 1 additional day off on friday for a 4 day weekend) many of those returned home to their families.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Chile Update June 21st

+ 5.607 new confirmed positives, 242.355 total - 264.252 with suspected cases
+ 184 new deaths, 4.479 total - 7.548 with non PCR deaths
+ 1.713 ventilated, 393 critical condition
+ 20.115 reported tests, 963.708 total

* Chile is now at Nº8 in total positives in the world, surpassing Italy
* 27.9% daily positive rate
* 25.1% total positive rate
* 90% of available ventilators are in use

Oct 25, 2017

because the whole meat industry is FUBAR, and Hassan Minhaj already did an episode on that with Patriot Act:

I time stamped on the second half of the episode, because the first half is about the federal supplies, with the second half being specifically about meat production and why these places are where outbreaks happen. Take about 10 minutes of your time.

Not just in Germany or the USA btw. The Netherlands closed about a dozen factories a few weeks ago because they were seeing spreads there.

The American numbers are just way worse due to various factors, as discussed in the episode.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Over 26k in the United States on a fucking Sunday. Next few weeks will be interesting to say the least with no fucking plan or leadership for half the country

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
Over 26k in the United States on a fucking Sunday. Next few weeks will be interesting to say the least with no fucking plan or leadership for half the country

Yea our state (Missouri) hasn't been too bad but yesterday was our biggest single day so far but our city (St Louis) is still heading downward. It seems like whatever areas got hit the hardest are still trending downward while everywhere else is doing the opposite

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Since the government gave the go ahead for the national music festival "Fete de la musique", many people gathered, stuck to each other, and vastly without protection.

I hope we got enough rid of it to not see a catastrophe in 3 weeks.

In Guyana, our territory with a border with Brazil, the state is eyeing another lockdown if the cases increase continue there.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
US numbers seem terrifying - like nothing has changed in 2 months.

I'm in the UK, so whilst I've been focusing on our own response/numbers (which is bad in itself), I always found myself watching the US briefing/checking the CNN coverage of the US situation.

First wave doesn't appear to have ended.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
US numbers seem terrifying - like nothing has changed in 2 months.

I'm in the UK, so whilst I've been focusing on our own response/numbers (which is bad in itself), I always found myself watching the US briefing/checking the CNN coverage of the US situation.

First wave doesn't appear to have ended.

In Northern California the active cases in my county have been a steadily increasing curve from the initial lockdown on March 18th~. Things flattened slightly in April when people took shelter in place seriously and testing became available. Then it all kept steadily increasing in the middle of May with no signs of stopping as businesses are opening back up.

soncov.png

Last edited:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Daily new infections according to WHO are pretty scary.

And because their regions are so unclear:
* Eastern Mediterranean Region includes most of North Africa aside from Algeria; and Somalia but no European nations
* Western Pacific is Oceania, China, Japan and then the usual suspects in that area. Except Indonesia and Papua New Guinea are split.
* South East Asia is everything from India to Indonesia, and North Korea.
* Europe includes a huge part of Asia as it includes Russia and most of the Stans aside from Afghanistan and Pakistan.

World_Health_Organisation_regional_offices.svg

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Remember back in May when Israel seemingly almost defeated the virus?
They are now approacing that second wave as they opened up more businesses and schools.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/israel/

Let's see wether this acts as a warning for every country with low number thinking this is over.
Yup, we've flattened the curve and now it's going up again. TBH, I think it's the masks. In April and May people here listened to instructions but ever since we've "beat" COVID19, it seems like everyone thinks it's over. You go outside and half of the people don't wear masks and the police are being too kind, they go around with boxes full of masks and when they see someone without a mask, they just tell them to put one on and if they don't have one, they give them a mask. They should be handing out reports left and right, hurt people where it matters, their pockets. After a week of strict policing of mask-wearing, everyone here will put their freaking masks back on.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Some uplifting news from the Netherlands: zero deaths have been reported today for the first time since the beginning of the epidemic. Could be a result of the weekend effect, but it's still a great thing to see.

Only 2 hospitalizations and 69 new cases as well. Number of patients in IC is 57 (yesterday, update for today will come later), over half of IC facilities don't have patients with the coronavirus currently.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
The Netherlands reports its first day with zero registered Covid deaths since March. NB registrations lag a few days especially on Sunday which is being reported today, but there have actually been no registered deaths for June 19 and June 20 either.

edit: ninjad.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Cautious relief due to the low Covid numbers reported for the Netherlands today!

Now, please don't rush to open up things and keep borders closed from countries who don't have their shit together please.

Dec 31, 2017
And because their regions are so unclear:
* Eastern Mediterranean Region includes most of North Africa aside from Algeria; and Somalia but no European nations
* Western Pacific is Oceania, China, Japan and then the usual suspects in that area. Except Indonesia and Papua New Guinea are split.
* South East Asia is everything from India to Indonesia, and North Korea.
* Europe includes a huge part of Asia as it includes Russia and most of the Stans aside from Afghanistan and Pakistan.

World_Health_Organisation_regional_offices.svg

What kind of weird regionality is this. I wonder what the criteria are. Like why is Australia grouped with China. Pakistan Grouped with Morocco.

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
This is just for 4 states.

AZ + CA + FL + TX:
June 15-21 - 89398 (Just 4 states the past week)
June so far - 189199 (almost 200K in 21 days)

AZ:
June 15-21 - 16699
June so far - 32454

CA:
June 15-21 - 25685
June so far - 65983

FL:
June 15-21 - 21723
June so far - 41128

TX:
June 15-21 - 25291
June so far - 49634

Edit: AZ was off by 6K for June total.

Last edited:

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
This is just for 4 states.

AZ + CA + FL + TX:
June 15-21 - 89398 (Just 4 states the past week)
June so far - 195199 (almost 200K in 21 days)

AZ:
June 15-21 - 16699
June so far - 38454

CA:
June 15-21 - 25685
June so far - 65983

FL:
June 15-21 - 21723
June so far - 41128

TX:
June 15-21 - 25291
June so far - 49634