• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rhindle

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the decision making that goes into rescinding that in the first place.
There never was a statewide mask mandate. It was being regulated at the county level. This overules counties (e.g. Orange) that have rescinded (or never instituted) mask mandates.

Last edited:

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon is opening up playgrounds starting today. We live a couple blocks away from one of the bigger playgrounds so it'd be trivial to get my daughter in there early in the morning, but contact infections are still a risk. Are there any actual studies that tracked infections through playgrounds and such? All I can find are "expert opinions" which generally err on the cautious side, and the city website just says "practice social distancing!" At this point I think it's best to err on the side of caution and not go there at all, but that's only going to work for so long if she sees kids playing there.

has anyone here who works from home argued with their HR dept in order to stay home?

i'm worried that as soon as bullshit phase 2 starts in nyc, the company i work for will be asking everyone to return to the office, and i do not want to go back until there's a possibility of this thing being cleared. nyc transportation is fucking insane and i just feel like i'm guaranteed to get it.

Since I'm part of the safety committee at work I've been able to pitch in my concerns. I've basically told them that 1) wife is high risk group (autoimmune disease) and 2) we have 2 kids with no childcare now, and they said accommodations will be made -- I'm certainly not the only one in this situation, either.

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon is opening up playgrounds starting today. We live a couple blocks away from one of the bigger playgrounds so it'd be trivial to get my daughter in there early in the morning, but contact infections are still a risk. Are there any actual studies that tracked infections through playgrounds and such? All I can find are "expert opinions" which generally err on the cautious side, and the city website just says "practice social distancing!" At this point I think it's best to err on the side of caution and not go there at all, but that's only going to work for so long if she sees kids playing there.

Since I'm part of the safety committee at work I've been able to pitch in my concerns. I've basically told them that 1) wife is high risk group (autoimmune disease) and 2) we have 2 kids with no childcare now, and they said accommodations will be made -- I'm certainly not the only one in this situation, either.

Starting next week my wife has one week in office, two weeks at home, as a start of easing back into the office. They're rotating people in and out so it will be very few people who are actually in the office at one time. I don't think they've lost any productivity with most everyone at home up to this point, but we'll see how this goes.

Zerokku

Oct 25, 2017
So one of the Sherrifs here in AZ had a rally last week. A rally that had virtually no masks.
...He tested positive for Coronavirus this week.

www.azfamily.com

Pinal County Sheriff Mark Lamb tests positive for coronavirus

The sheriff for Arizona's third-most populous county said he believes he came into contact with an infected person on Saturday at a campaign event.

In a Facebook post, the sheriff for Arizona's third-most populous county said he believes he came into contact with an infected person on Saturday at a campaign event. On Tuesday, Lamb was screened before a planned meeting President Donald Trump at the White House. That's when he learned that he was positive for the virus. Lamb said he isn't showing any symptoms but will be self-isolating for at least 14 days. He said he called the Pinal County Public Health Department after his positive test and its staff members are working to track all the people he came into contact with following the Saturday event.

And who knows how many other people may have been infected at the same rally. Given that we know large public events without masks can act as super spreader events - How much of a shitshow are we expecting next week following Trump's campaign rally this weekend?

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
After 300+ new cases yesterday in Orange County (Orlando), effective Saturday everyone will need to wear masks outside.

Finally.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
In Finland there was technical trouble getting today's numbers so new infections could be either 14, or 2.
They don't know yet which one.

Hopefully it's 2 because for the last two days there's been only 4 infections per day.

R0 is 0.40 - 0.80 right now, so if the same trend continues there should be almost no new infections reported soon at all.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
Coronavirus hospitalizations

NY, NJ, CT, PA, MI
5/1: 25,683
Today: 4,881

All Other States:
5/1: 26,687
Today: 23,304

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, I meant that they are not testing at nearly the level the US is, US is doing 500k a day(which would be the equivalent around 150k a day in Germany)
That's because they are on a different parts of the curve.

Rank incompetence. $7.3 million down the tube soda bottle.
www.propublica.org

The Trump Administration Paid Millions for Test Tubes — and Got Unusable Mini Soda Bottles

The plastic tubes supplied for coronavirus testing by Fillakit, a first-time federal contractor with a sketchy owner, don’t even fit the racks used to analyze samples. And they may be contaminated anyway.
Ridiculous, I still remember the initial reports. Went as expected...

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
4 fucking days into our return to the office and some one that was there today tested positive tonight. We kept telling people that if you don't feel good to stay home, you could just WFH if you felt able enough or take PTO. But fucking no, they came in all week. I didn't have close contact with this person luckily and wore a mask and kept sanitizing every time after i got up, but that doesn't mean I didn't get anything and this person sat near a lot of people. Now we are back WFH for at least the next 2 weeks, and they already told us and masks and tempersture checks are mandatory whenever it does open again. I'm angry, scared I might have gotten something, and just shocked.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
4 fucking days into our return to the office and some one that was there today tested positive tonight. We kept telling people that if you don't feel good to stay home, you could just WFH if you felt able enough or take PTO. But fucking no, they came in all week. I didn't have close contact with this person luckily and wore a mask and kept sanitizing every time after i got up, but that doesn't mean I didn't get anything and this person sat near a lot of people. Now we are back WFH for at least the next 2 weeks, and they already told us and masks and tempersture checks are mandatory whenever it does open again. I'm angry, scared I might have gotten something, and just shocked.

Doesn't mean they knew they had it, any more than you.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I talked to someone that sits near this person tonight and apparently they could all tell that they were sick today at least and this person had close no mask contact with them all week so they are scared shitless now.

Why didn't people say anything? Before Illinois closed down, another employee and I flipped out and left, telling our boss we weren't coming back until they figure shit out because there were two sick employees at work. That was when there were like no known widespread cases of it. I can't fathom tolerating sick people at work now that this thing is everywhere.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium: Seems like a bad day compared to the previous, although weekly trend is still down everywhere. 12 new deaths, 10 from hospitals and 2 from retirement homes. 20 new hospitalisations, which is up, but only 27 discharges which is down. It does mean only 340 beds are used anymore, which is still a drop. Drop on intensive care as well, down 5 to 55. Considering the number of hospital deaths, this drop has a sad and easy explanation. R0 seems to remain 0,87 like the last week, but again a busy day, 128 new infections, out of 15.430 tests.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

This is why it makes no sense for offices where people CAN WFH should try and go back the first day it's possible. It's only a matter of time before this exact situation happens, and will happen again and again. Employers who force people back are just putting everyone at unnecessary risk

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
This is why it makes no sense for offices where people CAN WFH should try and go back the first day it's possible. It's only a matter of time before this exact situation happens, and will happen again and again. Employers who force people back are just putting everyone at unnecessary risk
These dumbass employers are just like the rest of these "leaders" in America...putting money before the health and safety of their employees.

Any job that can be done from home should be done from home until at least the end of the year. Employers that rush their talent into the offices are indisputably dumbasses

Sin Jawnz

Dec 8, 2017
We've got no known active cases and no new positives in three weeks.

The president of my company is still urging those of us who can work from home effectively to continue doing so. I am hoping this remains the case well into the "new normal" should my province continue controlling the spread.

I have to go into the office from time to time and would prefer the less people there the better. But some people are eager to isolate in their tiny office for some reason.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
These dumbass employers are just like the rest of these "leaders" in America...putting money before the health and safety of their employees.

Any job that can be done from home should be done from home until at least the end of the year. Employers that rush their talent into the offices are indisputably dumbasses

People gave huge pushback and the Executives were so upset when people didn't want to come back to the office. One of them told me "that says a lot about someone's character ". I nearly lost it on my boss when he told me that. At this point it was mandatory for people to go back at least twice a week and I guess this person was there all week and visibly sick yesterday. With people not taking masks seriously here this was bound to happen eventually, but i can't believe it did immediately. This entire situation was completely avoidable but our greedy ass corporate overlords got angry when only like 10% of our staff came in when the office first opened back up "voluntarily ". Almost everyone in the company can WFH, this whole thing was needless and now potentially dozens of people are sick.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017

It's not even that, If your employees can work from home that should save any company some money. It's most likely the (middle) management being control freaks more than anything.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I was on a team meeting yesterday and the lead told us there are no plans to reopen our office. Management has all but confirmed they will downsize the physical office space so they can save some money. My direct manager polled our team about WFH permanently. The management seems pretty happy with our productivity so there is no rush to have people back in.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Stuff like permanent work from home gives me nightmares. I like my coworkers, I want to see them.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
So, uh, it appears Spain has messed up.

https://www.abc.es/sociedad/abci-sa...ndo-morian-68-media-202006182143_noticia.html

The news is behind a paywall, but the gist of it was the official government numbers were super low in terms of deaths per day - many of those being 0 deaths apparently- since late May, while in reality, an average of 68 people died every single day.

So... uh yeah... things seem a bit messy over there. We're talking about at least 1.437 deaths that were missing since late May.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
So, uh, it appears Spain has messed up.

https://www.abc.es/sociedad/abci-sa...ndo-morian-68-media-202006182143_noticia.html

The news is behind a paywall, but the gist of it was the official government numbers were super low in terms of deaths per day - many of those being 0 deaths apparently- since late May, while in reality, an average of 68 people died every single day.

So... uh yeah... things seem a bit messy over there. We're talking about at least 1.437 deaths that were missing since late May.
I am going to wait until there's more info from another newspaper, ABC I don't exactly like, but I can't think any way this could be real. The change in reporting was suspect as fuck, but going from 0 to 68? No way it wouldn't have been noticed.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like permanent work from home gives me nightmares. I like my coworkers, I want to see them.

I like working in a office as it is a clear separation between my work and personal life. I can focus just on work and when the work day is over, it truly is over. So, I'd be fine going back to normal. But my job has always had the potential for WFH. If the weather called for snow, we brought our laptops home and it was a WFH day. Most of the management only appeared in the office once or twice a week and we've increasingly becomiea company with workers in multiple states across the US. It seems like the office (well 2 actually as we opened one in another state 2 years ago (?)) would be available to those that need it, and for when we have meetings, but otherwise the expectation will be WFH. I enjoy working with my co-workers and having lunch with them, so it's a bummer in that regard. My commute was never that bad either. Still, I've enjoyed seeing my wife and dogs more. So I've kind of accepted this new situation. I think I might go in once a week when the office reopens. Hope that fulfills that socialization aspect a little.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
https://news.yahoo.com/virus-already-italy-december-waste-water-study-finds-091612239.html

The coronavirus was already present in two large cities in northern Italy in December, over two months before the first case was detected, a national health institute study of waste water has found.

That suggests the virus appeared in Italy around the same time it was first reported in China.

Researchers discovered genetic traces of Sars-CoV-2 -- as the virus is officially known -- in samples of waste water collected in Milan and Turin at the end of last year, and Bologna in January, the ISS institute said in a statement seen by AFP on Friday.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I am going to wait until there's more info from another newspaper, ABC I don't exactly like, but I can't think any way this could be real. The change in reporting was suspect as fuck, but going from 0 to 68? No way it wouldn't have been noticed.
Ideally it's fake, yeah.
No idea about ABC's reputation though. Landed there from reading the news on Portuguese media first (they all mentioned ABC).

Y-Z

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands

They went from 50-100 a day to 0 everyday in may. The numbers were obviously wrong :(.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Ah roger that. Had no idea. I can remove the link and replace it with one in Portuguese if need be, just figured posting the actual source would make more sense.
Just read what happened, it seems it wasn't really a coverup, but there were some issues in the data so they stopped releasing data until today.
28313 deaths is the new number. 180 deaths in the past two weeks.
So shitty, but not what ABC said.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Just read what happened, it seems it wasn't really a coverup, but there were some issues in the data so they stopped releasing data until today.
28313 deaths is the new number. 180 deaths in the past two weeks.
So shitty, but not what ABC said.
Gotcha. Still all of this could have been a non-issue if they hadn't changed the reporting method out of the blue. Weird move in the end.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My downstairs neighbor tested positive, though I haven't interacted with them in a week or so. My doctor said to get tested anyway even though I don't have any symptoms or anything. I guess it's a good thing I'm able to? Not looking forward to the whole swab shoved all the way down my nose but oh well.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
My downstairs neighbor tested positive, though I haven't interacted with them in a week or so. My doctor said to get tested anyway even though I don't have any symptoms or anything. I guess it's a good thing I'm able to? Not looking forward to the whole swab shoved all the way down my nose but oh well.

If you've ever had a test for strep, the nasal swap is less worse.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Strep swab is down your throat still right?

I had strep as a kid. The prescription pills they gave me were the largest pills I've ever seen and that's when my throat has hurt the worst I'm my entire life. Doctors can be dumb sometimes.
They go down the nose right? I always gag with the strep test to the back of the throat so I'm hoping that I don't with this.

Yeah strep is down the throat, covid the nose.

The gagging with the strep test is bad. And yeah it also left my throat pretty raw. But there's not a similar mechanism for the nose. It doesn't feel pleasant but also not terrible. And didn't leave my nose feeling raw (this is also just my experience so maybe I got lucky).

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The gagging with the strep test is bad. But there's not a similar mechanism for the nose. It doesn't feel pleasant but also not terrible.
I still remember the swab being covered with green mucous when they took it out of my throat and that was like 28 years ago or something.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

The gagging with the strep test is bad. And yeah it also left my throat pretty raw. But there's not a similar mechanism for the nose. It doesn't feel pleasant but also not terrible. And didn't leave my nose feeling raw (this is also just my experience so maybe I got lucky).
Cool. Well, here's hoping it's easy and painless, and also obviously that I don't have it, haha.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

We are not close to hitting the numbers they said we will need to hit to re-open in Seattle (which is King county), but fuck it, let's do it anyway, maybe people will protest less.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Chile update June 19th

+ 6.290 new positives, 231.393 total
+ 252 new deaths, 4.093 total
+ 20.347 reported tests, 923.513 total

1.645 connected to a ventilator, 395 in critical condition, 322 ventilators avaliable

Death toll it still isn't updated, it should be more than 6.000 by now.

Daily positivity at 27,6%, total positive rate is 25,1%

Chile's capital is now the fourth city/state with the highest current cases.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
In a move that certainly will not backfire, the Serbian music festival Exit will take place this summer. They will 'only' allow 30.000 visitors for each of the four days instead of the usual 50.000.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+516 new cases (168496 total)
+37 deaths (12835 total)

Ea4kgcuWoAAWb-h

Ea4kg57X0AASfDb

Ea4lBV1WAAEJ8Oa

Ea4lF7UXgAQjQ_y

Ea4lGX5XYAEWxna

Ea4lHdvXgAk1zPd

Ea4lVeQXgAABrWR

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So, that one meat plant in germany? 730 new cases as of 7 hours ago. 7000 people working there and I think not even half have been tested yet. Many of the people working there are actually from eastern europe and drove back home over the long weekend we had last week.

Seems like that was a really bad idea.

Here is a english news from yesterday:

edition.cnn.com

Germany reports 650 new coronavirus cases in a meat processing plant | CNN

Germany is racing to stop a new coronavirus outbreak after 650 workers at a slaughterhouse in the western state of North Rhine-Westphalia tested positive for Covid-19.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
It's been a while:

South Africa is by far the worst effected country at the moment with 83,890 cases as of June 18th. Egypt now holds the highest number of deaths with 1,938 as of June 18th despite having far fewer cases with 50,437.

Algeria and the other North African countries seem to be doing the best right now.

As for Nigeria... well it just recorded its highest number of cases yesterday with 745 new cases as of June 18th for a total of 18,480 total cases. That makes it the third highest number of cases for African countries. Lagos and KanovState as well as the FCT (Abuja) all have more than 1,000 cases, but nearly 2/3 of states have over 100 cases now and none of them are showing signs of slowing down.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Italy's update:
+251 new positive cases (total 238011)
+47 new deaths (total 34561)
+1363 new recoveries (total 181907)