• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Chile update, June 17th

+ 4.757 new positives + 31.422 previously not reported, 220.628 total
+ 232 new deaths, 3.615 total
+ 1.529 ventilated, 356 ventilators avaliable
+ 12.636 reported tests, 886.169 total

There are 1.794 in ICU too. Positivity is at 37,7%

Death toll reported to WHO is supposedly to be added on friday, but we'll see.

Different academic requested that the capital should enter "hibernation" - which would actually be like a real quarantine and not the fake one we have. Today health authority said it would be impossible because it would disrupt the city and could worsen the pandemic

However, government is pushing a bill that would increase the penalty to those that get out without a permit. Government will also decrease the ammout of permit you can get from 5 to 2 per week per person. Social safety net is still up for debate, but not defined and the government proposal is still a below poverty-line emergency income. Basic services bills aren't being suspended. They are "asking please" for companies to be mindful, at the same time saying that suspending said bills would be against the constitution.

wait, positive rate is 37.7%? isn't that a bit high? :(

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
wait, positive rate is 37.7%? isn't that a bit high? :(

It is really high, it means likely, a lot of cases aren't being caught.

It really is high, we like to think that we are testing a lot, but in reality the situation is bad. I mean with a 37.7% positive rate we are at Nº9 in total positive cases yet we are only a less than 20 million population country.

It's also due to "quarantine" being anything but. This is the subway in the morning. Millions of "essential" workers everyday in the capital, that has around 40% of positive rate (it's super easy for a company to "prove" they are essential and it's in their criteria who has to be there or not. Also, basically there is no safety net and unemployment is so high that everyone's afraid of losing their jobs)

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Portugal:

38.089 confirmed cases.
+ 417 since yesterday. 1.1% growth. [ 325 of which just in Lisbon]
1.523 deaths.
+ 1 since yesterday.
24.010 recoveries.
+ 421 since yesterday.

416 people hospitalised.
- 19 since yesterday.
67 in the ICU.
- 2 since yesterday.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
I'm supervising a (Chinese national) PhD student in the Netherlands who is now in the final months of her contract. She just had to do one last user study at a school here in the Netherlands, but the moment she wanted to do it, all the schools closed down. After a lot of immigration hassle and staying in quarantine for weeks, she arrived in Beijing to finish the study there, and right as she found two schools and planned dates, they closed down again :/

Talk about timing sheesh.

That's so unfortunate, truly :(.

Also, it seems to be the case: Beijing is entering a second wave.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017

And Fauci's on the clock because if DT really wants that football vote and if Fauci says that and the other thing he said yesterday, he's opened himself for Don and his assholes to kick him out and if that happens, well...yeah.

Nov 13, 2017
Interesting new report. tl;dr masks are more effective than social distancing and washing your hands as a means of stopping the virus

www.pnas.org

Identifying airborne transmission as the dominant route for the spread of COVID-19

We have elucidated the transmission pathways of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) by analyzing the trend and mitigation measures in the three epicenters. Our results show that the airborne transmission route is highly virulent and dominant for the spread of COVID-19. The mitigation measures...

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Interesting new report. tl;dr masks are more effective than social distancing and washing your hands as a means of stopping the virus

www.pnas.org

Identifying airborne transmission as the dominant route for the spread of COVID-19

We have elucidated the transmission pathways of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) by analyzing the trend and mitigation measures in the three epicenters. Our results show that the airborne transmission route is highly virulent and dominant for the spread of COVID-19. The mitigation measures...

This is only a good thing, as it means we have an easy tool to combat the spread without having to lock all the way down.

now if only we can get our governments to mandate them

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Principal confirmed during our staff meeting today that we have no plans as of yet on how we'll return next year and committees are just starting now to figure it out. Makes sense, so no idea what will happen.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

www.pnas.org

Isn't this just saying that social distancing in public alone isn't enough and wearing masks on top of that is the most effective? That's my reading of it. Basically it's saying mask wearing is the biggest factor but it's saying that you need to combine that with distancing and quarantine and contact tracing, etc.

Oct 27, 2017
has anyone here who works from home argued with their HR dept in order to stay home?

i'm worried that as soon as bullshit phase 2 starts in nyc, the company i work for will be asking everyone to return to the office, and i do not want to go back until there's a possibility of this thing being cleared. nyc transportation is fucking insane and i just feel like i'm guaranteed to get it.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
C19-6-14.png

I never imagined the US would try to "ignore" the virus away.

It's clearly working.
To be fair, Germany and Italy basically stopped testing and the US is testing more than ever before.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I think disneyland Paris is reopening soon.
I just received a mail that asks to do an online training about how to deal with covid at work (I work there from time to time)

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
C19-6-14.png

I never imagined the US would try to "ignore" the virus away.

It's clearly working.
I feel like at this point there needs to be a separation of states in these. Many blue states early on did a good job of containing and stop a quick spread, unfortunately red states have been botching shit up. I'm curious what a state-by-state breakdown looks like.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Due to rise of imported cases 14 day mandatory quarantine has been declared for all people travelling to Slovenia from Bosnia, Serbia and Kosovo. Even if they have working visas for Slovenia or temporary address.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
Fresh Air with Terry Gross had a Covid-19 discussion yesterday with Michael Osterholm, the founder and director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/17/8792...g-an-expert-explains-how-to-assess-covid-risk

A few things really stood out to me:

I think the one factor that we must keep in mind at all times is that, to date, we have about 5 to 7% of the U.S. population has been infected with this virus. That's it. All the pain, suffering, death and economic disruption have occurred with 5 to 7%. But this virus is not going to slow down transmission overall. It may come and go, but it will keep transmitting until we get at least 60 or 70% of the population infected and hopefully develop immunity — or if we get a vaccine, that can get us there too. And so I want to be really clear: None of us are suggesting this is going to stop and go away, but if we see these starts and stops of the virus in between times, it's just that we don't know quite what's happening.

On transmitting/catching the virus:

I don't worry about food. I don't worry about newsprint. I don't worry about packages I get here. I don't worry about doorknobs and railings any more than I would during the regular cold season. [That's not] what's going to be the major challenge with this virus. ... It's the air that we share with each other that is critical. That's why distancing is so important.

I mean, this is really all about air. Breathing someone else's air where the virus is present.

When you and I talk, we fill a room full of aerosols. If you actually had a special camera (that does exist and you can do this), you can actually see aerosols fill the room and these little particles after just 20 or 30 minutes of talking.

If you're in a building where the heating, ventilation and cooling system is not moving air very frequently, then that aerosol that that person is breathing in that conference room is going to build up over time.

70% of the population is 209 million

Assuming we're already at 180,000 deaths now at 7% of the population affected...

180,000 x 10 = 1.8 million dead total before herd immunity

So if we're underestimating/hiding bodies by a third, when the official numbers say 1.2 million we'll be there

Don't forget that at some point we will probably see exponential growth again so it'll probably take less time than that. Once a certain percentage of the population is infected it will be impossible not to get exposed.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like at this point there needs to be a separation of states in these. Many blue states early on did a good job of containing and stop a quick spread, unfortunately red states have been botching shit up. I'm curious what a state-by-state breakdown looks like.
I mean to be completely fair, blue states got hit far worse

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I mean to be completely fair, blue states got hit far worse

I think a problem was a lot of red states locking down a bit too soon, if only because case counts weren't really that high enough, so people got bored of the lockdown in combination of the fact it never really hit hard in their area - so it fueled belief the virus isn't a big deal or it's "fake" etc. Now they are opening up too fast, and the virus has spread throughout the country enough that interstate travel means people are flocking to these opened states from their locked down ones (huge problem here in AZ with people coming from CA), causing exponential growth.

When we all started locking down there was a massive pressure for all states to follow suit, which at the time felt appropriate due to fear and whatnot. But tbh it was probably a mistake, focus should have been on restricting interstate travel and phased lockdowns. We can't just throw down full lockdowns whenever we want, and many states used that lifeline way too soon.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, I meant that they are not testing at nearly the level the US is, US is doing 500k a day(which would be the equivalent around 150k a day in Germany)
At this point, Germany doesn't have enough suspected cases anymore to test 150k people. Being able to stop testing is also a show of control.

Oct 25, 2017
I think a problem was a lot of red states locking down a bit too soon, if only because case counts weren't really that high enough, so people got bored of the lockdown in combination of the fact it never really hit hard in their area - so it fueled belief the virus isn't a big deal or it's "fake" etc. Now they are opening up too fast, and the virus has spread throughout the country enough that interstate travel means people are flocking to these opened states from their locked down ones (huge problem here in AZ with people coming from CA), causing exponential growth.

When we all started locking down there was a massive pressure for all states to follow suit, which at the time felt appropriate due to fear and whatnot. But tbh it was probably a mistake, focus should have been on restricting interstate travel and phased lockdowns. We can't just throw down full lockdowns whenever we want, and many states used that lifeline way too soon.
I completely agree with this, especially living in NC. We locked down really early when cases were low and stable; we started opening back up in May when cases were stable and now everything is fucked (although not quite as fucked as TX, AZ, FL and CA). People got tired of it and now that things are getting worse, no one seems to care. Only TWO counties in the entire state have mandates making masks a requirement and even then it's not enforced. I have no idea how NC is going to slow the spread now and that really scares me.

kazinova

Oct 27, 2017
I'm frustrated too, but i don't think that twitter bait is helping anyone...

And before anyone complains, I did click through. She just posts a lol jk as the second post. Very funny

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Italy's update:
+333 new positive cases (total 238159)
+66 new deaths (total 34514)
+1089 new recoveries (total 180544)
For the first time since April 3, there is an increment of cases in ICU. It is only +5, though. Let's hope it is a single case.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+442 new cases (168107 total)
+38 deaths (12800 total)

Re-Opening News:

Eaz025YWoAEuhgY

Positivity under 3%
Eaz3PiqXYAIp0Q9

Rate of Transmission still well under 1
Eaz3Q99X0AgVH56

Hospitalization data seems to be back in line today, another drop.

Eaz3ywIWsAAI6ao

Eaz32ODWoAAvnrD

Eaz32vAWAAYKzub

Eaz33MPXkAIpM_D

Eaz3813XkAAQC5g

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Bulletin for the
French situation for the 18/06:

158641 confirmed cases + 467 in 24H
hospital:
10125 hospitalized -142 in 24 H (136 entries)
752 in intensive care -20 in 24 H (15 entries)
19146 dead + 28 in 24 H

Care homes:
37901 cases
10457 dead

Total 29603 deaths +28 in 24H
covidcare_hosp0618lnkep.png

Hospital graphs
covid0618a8k7o.png

ICU entries:
icu0618w8jok.png

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Chile Update June 18th

+ 4.475 new positives, 225.103 total
+ 226 new deaths, 3.841 total
+ 1.845 in ICU, 399 critical, 353 ventilators avaliables
+ 16.997 reported tests, 903.166 total

Had a reduction in daily positive rate (26.1%).

Death toll reporting is a cumulative of several days, but the official report indicates that the record of deaths in 24h, up until today at least, was on June 9th, 158 deaths due to Covid-19. We are at 20 deaths per 100k inhabitants

Yesterday the law to punish quarantine infractors got passed, however now a report claims that over 2.5 Million people have been inspected during quarantine. Out of them, only 0.5% didn't have their papers to get out. So a law to criminalize the 0.5% got passed quick, but a law that would allow 22 thousand mothers to stay with their 6 months old children is on the verge of being dropped because government party say it's against the constitution. Social safety net for those that if they don't break quarantine, can't eat, is still up in the air.

Also, the government speaker now claim that no one has ever, ever, thought about following herd immunity. Despite having several health official, including former and current health ministers, basically describing herd immunity when talking strategy. Everyone but the right wing is calling the failures of the strategy as it is.

PUT ME OUT OF THE MISERY OF LIVING HERE PLEASE

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Seeing some people turn to the still droping death data for hope as hospitalizations start to increase everywhere not realizing that of course death data will be the last to start rising because it takes more time to die than to be hospitalized or tested positive.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Not sure what is happening there. Weirdly they only closed down the schools. Bars and restaurants remain open, which, uh, doesn't make any sense to me. Schools contribute very little to spread and closing them shuts down the economy way more.

According to some comments, it's people wanting to get tested at a local hospital. I suppose we'll get more info and videos in the upcoming hours (if they don't get censored).

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Fun little anecdote from today:

Our office has started bringing staff back (everyone was work from home, now it's two days in the office, three at home).

I'm the only one wearing a mask. I had an exchange with a coworker who asked, "Parthenios, you're the smartest person who works here and you're the only one wearing a mask. You still think coronavirus is real? We all know it's a hoax to let the government control us."

I told her, "If you think I'm the smartest person here, you should ask yourself why the smartest person is wearing a mask and everyone else isn't."

She paused on that for a couple of seconds and said, "You know what, I think I'm going to start wearing my mask again."

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
Fuck. The school district I work for in Colorado just retracted their plans on having an A/B schedule with Friday's being virtual and decided to just have everyone back in buildings like nothing happened starting in August. I get that numbers are down in Colorado, but this is going to be a nightmare. My wife is pregnant as well (due in September) and she also works for the district. She can take medical leave but I can't. If I have to go back, she'll have to live at her parents house before and after the baby is born while I take care of our 4 year-old. This re-opening business is completely stupid.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think the clock is ticking on Fauci being fired.

With this sudden resurgence, Fauci has been interviewed more lately, and like usual he's giving his sober, clear-eyed presentation of the science and public health. But, in that he's saying things that are true, and of course, contradict the Trump administration.

Pence says cases are going down and talk of a resurgence is "overblown." Fauci, correctly, contradicts him.
The Trump Administration goes forward with it's rally in Tulsa. Fauci suggests this is a bad idea.
Trump wants the economies opened immediately. Fauci calls for caution.
Trump can't wait for sports to be back. Fauci warns against the NBA resuming play and the NFL kicking off this Fall.
Trump and Pence talk about breakthroughs in vaccines and how they're producing a vaccine faster than ever. Fauci says he opposes the idea of announcing a vaccine by October, that it's not enough time.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the leading infectious disease expert on the White House coronavirus task force, pledged on Thursday to publicly oppose any effort by the Trump administration to rush an announcement of a COVID-19 vaccine by the November election unless the medicine has been proven "safe and scientifically sound."

In an interview with McClatchy, Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said he disapproved of the use of the term "Operation Warp Speed" – the name of the federal vaccine development project – because it incorrectly implies that critical scientific benchmarks for safety and effectiveness might be sidestepped in a rushed government effort to achieve a vaccine.

I will eat my hat if Fauci is not fired, forced to resign, or resigns before November 4th. I see it as a question of when. When will Trump override his campaign advisors and fire him anyway? Will he do it right now, 5 months before the election? WIll be do it in OCtober when Trump begins to promise he's delivering a vaccine and Fauci warns that it hasn't been scientifically tested? Will he wait for the next scandal and do it quietly over night?

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Rank incompetence. $7.3 million down the tube soda bottle.
www.propublica.org

The Trump Administration Paid Millions for Test Tubes — and Got Unusable Mini Soda Bottles

The plastic tubes supplied for coronavirus testing by Fillakit, a first-time federal contractor with a sketchy owner, don’t even fit the racks used to analyze samples. And they may be contaminated anyway.
Since May, the Trump administration has paid a fledgling Texas company $7.3 million for test tubes needed in tracking the spread of the coronavirus nationwide. But, instead of the standard vials, Fillakit LLC has supplied plastic tubes made for bottling soda, which state health officials say are unusable.

The state officials say that these "preforms," which are designed to be expanded with heat and pressure into 2-liter soda bottles, don't fit the racks used in laboratory analysis of test samples. Even if the bottles were the right size, experts say, the company's process likely contaminated the tubes and could yield false test results. Fillakit employees, some not wearing masks, gathered the miniature soda bottles with snow shovels and dumped them into plastic bins before squirting saline into them, all in the open air, according to former employees and ProPublica's observation of the company's operations.

"It wasn't even clean, let alone sterile," said Teresa Green, a retired science teacher who worked at Fillakit's makeshift warehouse outside of Houston for two weeks before leaving out of frustration.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017

Our office has started bringing staff back (everyone was work from home, now it's two days in the office, three at home).

I'm the only one wearing a mask. I had an exchange with a coworker who asked, "Parthenios, you're the smartest person who works here and you're the only one wearing a mask. You still think coronavirus is real? We all know it's a hoax to let the government control us."

I told her, "If you think I'm the smartest person here, you should ask yourself why the smartest person is wearing a mask and everyone else isn't."

She paused on that for a couple of seconds and said, "You know what, I think I'm going to start wearing my mask again."
lol wow, maybe you should go on tv

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile

Lmao I too see a lot of folks not wearing their masks at work. I have to keep reminding the Health and Safety guy to put his mask.