• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I don't see it as a big issue, contact tracing is easy in schools, imo they should've opened sooner but bars should've remained closed. You have to leave your adress and time of stay in bars but it doesn't get checked vs your papers and I guess there are a lot of Jane/John Does out there now. Also people fraternize in and outside bars like they did before. Infections don't seem to explode for now but if we do have new vectors it will be hard to contain them due to this. If there is an outbreak in a school worst case you close it down and send everyone into quarantine.
I hope you are right and I'm just overly afraid. Let's hope everything turns out to be fine ...

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
I hope you are right and I'm just overly afraid. Let's hope everything turns out to be fine ...
Well we had to open up schools eventually and that means there is a risk of infections. It should be pretty small atm though and we should be able to contain possible outbreaks due to contact tracing and testing abilities. Like I said I am more worried about the party people than schools.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Small news on the vaccines:
  • Germany has bought a €300 million stake in CureVac, the German company that Trump wanted to buy, to avoid that a foreign power can buy them.
  • NovaSep has made a deal with AstraZeneca in regards to starting production for the biological material needed for the Oxford vaccine.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest difference between the US and other countries is a unified country-level response versus a free-for-all.
Agreed that the US federal response could have been a lot better, and as a result of that we kind of have to compare on a regional basis.

You can see how the New York graph looks very similar to Italy, for instance:

XVWdpec.png

To some extent what we're seeing in the US nationally is a lot of distributions like this stacked on top of each other, with some starting at later times. Unfortunately, we also have patterns like this in Florida:

66LWSz5.png

So some parts of the US look like the European countries that got things under control, and some... really don't.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Chile Update June 15th

+ 5.143 new positives, 179.436 total
+ 39 new deaths reported, 3.362 total (weekend report, offices report less death. Statistic reported to WHO still isn't reported to the public)
+ 1.463 ventilated, 385 in critical condition, 391 avaliable
+ 18.808 tests reported, 858.958 total

Today in an interview new Health Minister basically confirmed that they will continue pursuing herd immunity, saying "The more people we have with IgG antibodies, we will be able to have a better percentage of immunity and a second wave will be less probable"

As far as I know, this is not a good sign, right?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Chile Update June 15th

+ 39 new deaths reported, 3.362 total (weekend report, offices report less death. Statistic reported to WHO still isn't reported to the public)

Today in an interview new Health Minister basically confirmed that they will continue pursuing herd immunity, saying "The more people we have with IgG antibodies, we will be able to have a better percentage of immunity and a second wave will be less probable"

Nope

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
www.marketwatch.com

‘Shameful, not cool, a sign of weakness’: Men are less likely to wear face masks to protect against coronavirus, study finds

Men are less likely to believe they’ll be seriously affected by COVID-19, despite data to the contrary, research finds.

Men in the U.S. report less intention than women to wear face coverings, especially in counties that don't mandate wearing them, according to a paper authored by researchers from Middlesex University London in the U.K. and the Mathematical Science Research Institute in Berkeley, Calif. This, the authors say, suggests that making face coverings mandatory "has a larger effect on men than on women."

Men are also less likely to believe they'll be seriously impacted by COVID-19, despite data to the contrary, the research found. "The fact that men less than women intend to wear a face covering can be partly explained by the fact that men more than women believe that they will be relatively unaffected by the disease," co-authors Valerio Capraro and Hélène Barcelo wrote.

This finding is "particularly ironic," they said, as men appear to be more severely impacted by the virus: In places such as China, Italy, Spain and New York City, men have died from COVID-19 at far higher rates than women.

The study also found that men are more likely to report feeling negative emotions while wearing a face covering. "Men more than women agree that wearing a face covering is shameful, not cool, a sign of weakness, and a stigma; and these gender differences also mediate gender differences intentions to wear a face covering," Capraro and Barcelo wrote. That finding, they said, indicates that interventions to promote men's use of face coverings should work to decrease those emotions.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Italy's update:
+303 new positive cases (total 237290)
+26 new deaths (total 34371)
+640 new recoveries (total 177010)

A note is that, out of these 303 new positive cases, Lombardia has 259 cases (85).
All the other regions have less than 10 cases (Emilia 11). Nine regions have 0 cases,

Last edited:

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Portugal:

37.036 confirmed cases.
+ 346 since yesterday. 0.94% growth. [Once again, out of these, 300 are confirmed to be in the Lisbon region alone].
1. 520 deaths.
+ 3 since yesterday.
22.852 recoveries.
+ 183 since yesterday.

431 people hospitalised.
+ 12 since yesterday.
73 in the ICU.

----

My city (and the district the city is in) hasn't had a single case in 5 days. Which, not gonna lie, makes you feel pretty confident about going outside, going to a restaurant, resuming your regular day to day life in general (especially if you keep making sure to be safe by using masks, cleaning your hands, etc).

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+274 new cases (167103 total)
+52 deaths (12676 total)

Phase 2 starts today! Only thing of note on the data was central jersey hospital data was not completely reported.

EakYNdaXQAcBmrs

EakbZdQXsAAXYUt

EakbZ6MXgAg021a

EakcMpNXgAIoSJs

EakbmfkWoAYyF2E

EakbnOYX0AYu1SY

EakbsyUX0AEO2CE

EakbtbpWoAI0Qey

Eakbt_eX0AI6eEV

EakbuanWAAAyr1_

EakcDzqWoAMzdO7

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Chile Update June 15th

Herd immunity strategy has been a dud, we have examples, but no, some cynical hypocrites who probably think they are smarter than everyone will go for it.
It's just a social darwinism cynical experiment.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+274 new cases (167103 total)
+52 deaths (12676 total)

Phase 2 starts today! Only thing of note on the data was central jersey hospital data was not completely reported.

EakYNdaXQAcBmrs

EakbZdQXsAAXYUt

EakbZ6MXgAg021a

EakcMpNXgAIoSJs

EakbmfkWoAYyF2E

EakbnOYX0AYu1SY

EakbsyUX0AEO2CE

EakbtbpWoAI0Qey

Eakbt_eX0AI6eEV

EakbuanWAAAyr1_

EakcDzqWoAMzdO7

Damn! Is that the lowest amount of daily cases yet? I don't remember seeing them that low or is it just because it's Monday?

stew

Dec 2, 2017
Chile Update June 15th

This is what you say when you know you fucked up.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad my job is being strict about masks. We haven't had any real issues with customers. Just the occasional you'll see with the mask only covering their mouth and not their nose. So I am mostly feeling alright.

On the other hand, I keep thinking "Risking my life for $10.50 an hour..."

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Massachusetts is asking anyone who has been out to a large gathering over the last few weeks to get tested. They set up free testing sites for the 17th and 18th in various cities:

Get Tested for COVID-19: June 17th and 18th

The Commonwealth is urging anyone who has attended a large gathering in the past two weeks to get tested for COVID-19. This testing will be provided at no cost to you.

stew

Dec 2, 2017
It's what the former minister said back in April before everything went to shit (Despite, you know, everyone saying back then too that it was a bad idea). The new minister is just following the same line of thinking..
Thank you, it's even worse than I thought, Chileans are having a real hard time...

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts is asking anyone who has been out to a large gathering over the last few weeks to get tested. They set up free testing sites for the 17th and 18th in various cities:

Get Tested for COVID-19: June 17th and 18th

The Commonwealth is urging anyone who has attended a large gathering in the past two weeks to get tested for COVID-19. This testing will be provided at no cost to you.
Only 50 sites? Or is it a special campaign at those 50 locations only.

Mar 3, 2019
Man the twin cities are pissing me off. Even the fancy grocery stores have at most 30 percent of the people wearing masks despite their being a city wide ordinance in both cities. None of the business' are enforcing any of this stuff. Almost had an altercation today calling out this dude for trying to make fun of this other guy for wearing a mask. Shits messed up man.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I got tested for antibodies today. Will get the results tomorrow. I got very sick in March so I'm curious to find out if I had it.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Bulletin for the
French situation for the 15/06:

157372 confirmed cases + 152 in 24H
hospital:
10752 hospitalized -129 in 24 H (114 entries)
846 in intensive care -23 in 24 H (12 entries)
19052 dead + 29 in 24 H

Care homes:
37599 cases
10384 dead

Total 29436 deaths +29 in 24H
covidcare_hosp0615vsjce.png

Hospital graphs
covid0615cljgi.png

ICU entries:
icu0615aoj4t.png

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
Man the twin cities are pissing me off. Even the fancy grocery stores have at most 30 percent of the people wearing masks despite their being a city wide ordinance in both cities. None of the business' are enforcing any of this stuff. Almost had an altercation today calling out this dude for trying to make fun of this other guy for wearing a mask. Shits messed up man.
Yep. I had to get groceries yesterday. Fortunately the most people there had masks, but of course one of the few without a mask was coughing. Booked it out of there ASAP. There were a few that brought their entire families to shop with them, naught a single mask among them. Haven't seen anyone giving people shit for wearing masks tho.

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
The "Corona-Warn-App" will be released today in Germany to further help with keeping track of infections.
Let's see how many people will install it (it's not mandatory) and if there is a noticeable improvement. The daily new infections in Germany are quite low right now, but if fall comes around, it might actually be helpful.

The app will work decentralized, meaning all the contacts are saved locally on the phone and only shared (if you want) with a server that will warn your contacts.
No geo-location data is tracked and no access to other parts of the phone except Bluetooth is needed or asked for.

Seems really simple (basically just one button to activate it).

And even if the app is not needed anymore, at least we have something ready for the next pandemic that eventually will come.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Colorado is just about to enter another phase where bars can reopen, summer camps can have up to 10 kids, and indoor activities like museums and certain concerts can start happening again.

So far we've handled Covid very well out here, but I hope this doesn't send us spiraling into another wave too soon. Just because we've got very low numbers now doesn't mean we should just let loose.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017

Why do I have a feeling that this and that party in East Village a few days ago in gonna send NYC back to phase 0?

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
Colorado is just about to enter another phase where bars can reopen, summer camps can have up to 10 kids, and indoor activities like museums and certain concerts can start happening again.

So far we've handled Covid very well out here, but I hope this doesn't send us spiraling into another wave too soon. Just because we've got very low numbers now doesn't mean we should just let loose.

Look at Utah's numbers if you want to see what will happen.

Also 64% of Utah sewage tested positive for Covid.

Found this part interesting.

"Monitoring virus in Utah's sewage systems offers a tool for early detection of rising infections, monitoring community infection trends, and confirmation of low infection rates. We hope that monitoring the sewage can help in prioritizing limited state resources such as mobile testing."

kslnewsradio.com

64% of sewage samples in Utah test positive for COVID-19

The state of Utah has been testing sewage samples for two months to track the spread of COVID-19 and the results are in. The Utah Department of Environmental Quality says 64% of their samples tested positive for the virus.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017

anamika

May 18, 2018
Can I just say a big Fuck You to WHO. Their idiotic press conference/video about how asymptomatic transmission is rare is now spreading like crazy through social media like whatsapp in India. People keep sending me and others this video to say that look it's not so dangerous, lockdowns are not necessary, let's all go out and mingle. I have informed like 10 people this morning that WHO walked back those comments but there's no stopping it.

SushiReese

Oct 30, 2017
Why America continent in generally response to this crisis so badly? Canada seems to be the few OK ones even compared to EU nations.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Corona app for Germany is up

apps.apple.com

‎Corona-Warn-App

‎Das Robert Koch-Institut (RKI) als zentrale Einrichtung des Bundes im Bereich der Öffentlichen Gesundheit und als nationales Public-Health-Institut veröffentlicht die Corona-Warn-App für die deutsche Bundesregierung und für die Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Die App fungiert als digitale Ergänzung...

play.google.com

Corona-Warn-App - Apps on Google Play

Let‘s fight Corona together