• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm really worried about what's going to happen from these protest. I'm in Canada and we had thousands of people congregate downtown today basically standing shoulder to shoulder. We only have about 400 active cases in my city and we have been trending in the right direction for a while but if one super spreader was at that protest things could spiral out of control again.

The thing that kind of infuriates is that a lot of same people that have been lecturing people online about staying indoors and wearing masks are the same people that turned up to this rally or cheered it on.

I'm in favor of the protests and sharing our voice but we need to be smarter about this and recognize we are still in the midst of pandemic and protestors need to practice social distancing otherwise they are putting just as many people in harms way as those idiots in the pools at the ozark.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
It's not just in the US that protests are happening, and US testing isn't in that bad of a place anymore(still could be better though). I don't think it's gonna spread a ton though because from beaches and the previous protests, I think it's fairly clear the virus doesn't spread too bad outdoors.

Also, I think it's clear that social distancing is done not just in the US, but across the world.
The idea that the virus doesn't spread as much outdoors is based on the assumption that you have more space to walk around and avoid people than you would indoors.

That assumption obviously does not hold when you have tens of thousands of people out protesting.

Yeah, it's for a necessary cause, but let's not kid ourselves that it magically won't spread as much just because we're all outdoors. It's the same kind of wishful thinking as 'the heat in the summer will kill it!'

We had 100k deaths in 3 months, half of which was spent in social distancing. I shudder to think how many more will die now from a combination of states reopening too quickly + anti-lockdown protests + the current protests.

Only one of these is righteous, but going solely off of numbers and the exponential nature of virus spread, the current protests will absolutely lead to many more deaths than we otherwise would have had.

Yeah I'm really worried about what's going to happen from these protest. I'm in Canada and we had thousands of people congregate downtown today basically standing shoulder to shoulder. We only have about 400 active cases in my city and we have been trending in the right direction for a while but if one super spreader was at that protest things could spiral out of control again.

The thing that kind of infuriates is that a lot of same people that have been lecturing people online about staying indoors and wearing masks are the same people that turned up to this rally or cheered it on.

I'm in favor of the protests and sharing our voice but we need to be smarter about this and recognize we are still in the midst of pandemic and protestors need to practice social distancing otherwise they are putting just as many people in harms way as those idiots in the pools at the ozark.
I know people will take this the wrong way, but in my honest opinion, I think the protests are nearing the point of diminished returns in terms of what societal shifts we're hoping they achieve.

Either we've already achieved them in terms of creating nation-wide consciousness to the problem of systemic racism and cops killing Black men, hopefully eventually translating into political action and reform--in which case there's not 'much of a point' in continuing to protest when you weigh it against the potential loss of human life (particularly among people of color) inevitable from having so many people so densely packed together--or the country is so far gone already that no amount of further protesting will change anything.

Again, these protests needed to happen, but I question the necessity and wisdom of sustaining them indefinitely when you weigh it against the potential loss of human life. You can tell yourself 'Well we were reopening anyway,' but does anyone really question the premise that greater density of people = greater virus spread? Or the exponential nature of virus spread?

Last edited:

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The idea that the virus doesn't spread as much outdoors is based on the assumption that you have more space to walk around and avoid people than you would indoors.

That assumption obviously does not hold when you have tens of thousands of people out protesting.

Yeah, it's for a necessary cause, but let's not kid ourselves that it magically won't spread as much just because we're all outdoors. It's the same kind of wishful thinking as 'the heat in the summer will kill it!'

We had 100k deaths in 3 months, half of which was spent in social distancing. I shudder to think how many more will die now from a combination of states reopening too quickly + anti-lockdown protests + the current protests.

Only one of these is righteous, but going solely off of numbers and the exponential nature of virus spread, the current protests will absolutely lead to many more deaths than we otherwise would have had.

I know people will take this the wrong way, but in my honest opinion, I think the protests are nearing the point of diminished returns in terms of what societal shifts we're hoping they achieve.

Either we've already achieved them in terms of creating nation-wide consciousness to the problem of systemic racism and cops killing Black men, hopefully eventually translating into political action and reform--in which case there's not 'much of a point' in continuing to protest when you weigh it against the potential loss of human life (particularly among people of color) inevitable from having so many people so densely packed together--or the country is so far gone already that no amount of further protesting will change anything.

Again, these protests needed to happen, but I question the necessity and wisdom of sustaining them indefinitely when you weigh it against the potential loss of human life. You can tell yourself 'Well we were reopening anyway,' but does anyone really question the premise that greater density of people = greater virus spread? Or the exponential nature of virus spread?

Na I'm with you here, especially outside of America where police brutality and systematic racism is not remotely on the same level (if anything there is systematic racism towards first Nations people). I get people want to help the cause and have their voice heard but it doesn't accomplish anything here and it's certainly not worth putting more lives at risk and forcing us to continue to shut down businesses.

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
That's not all.
Wind, sun, humidity etc., basically weather in general, all have an effect on the virus and how long it can survive. Just having wind will already disperse the virus quite a lot to be not as infectious. Well ventilated rooms are also recommended (open window with proper air flow). This is helpful for schools for example where people sit together for some time.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium: 19 new deaths, 13 in hospitals and 6 in retirement homes. Total has now crossed 9.500. 26 new hospitalisations, which has lead to a slight increase in beds used. It is now 819 while it was 816 yesterday. Slight raise in intensive care as well, with 2 patients. But these are all weekend numbers, so no reason to panic.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Spread occured mostly indoors because people don't tend to have massive outside events in winter. Spread did occur in the lockdown protests, and quite a bit according to the takes in this topic.
I don't think there are any reliable studies to back that up, yet.
It would make sense, though. Especially considering the amounts of gas used on people.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
Only two confirmed infections in Finland today.
Restaurants opened yesterday so I guess the next two weeks will be critical regarding this summer.

GCX

Oct 27, 2017
Only two confirmed infections in Finland today.
Restaurants opened yesterday so I guess the next two weeks will be critical regarding this summer.
There's probably some lag with today's numbers for them to be so low.

The current quite steady data would indicate though that the opening of schools 3 weeks ago has had at most a pretty marginal effect on the spread. That's good.

Last edited:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there are any reliable studies to back that up, yet.
It would make sense, though. Especially considering the amounts of gas used on people.
We are lacking a lot of data indeed, but I wouldn't be ready to rule out spread in open air events if sufficient people. The assumed superspreader event for the Netherlands was carnival celebrations for instance.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of places in America were planning on re-opening or already re-opened before they even peaked on their first wave.

And then the protests happened. Watching everything go down is nuts.
Yup reading reports of how cops are detaining protestors then packing them closely together for 10+ hrs without charging them and not allowing them to wear masks. US numbers are going to spike within 2 weeks

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
We are lacking a lot of data indeed, but I wouldn't be ready to rule out spread in open air events if sufficient people. The assumed superspreader event for the Netherlands was carnival celebrations for instance.
Those were mostly indoors though. A better example would be Atalanta - Valencia, which was a superspreader event even though the stadium is very open. But even there it's not a complete done deal that the spread happened in the stadium, or in the public transport and bars surrounding the match.
I don't think there's any clear data from open air events. Spreading yes, super spreading no.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Portugal:

32.895 confirmed cases.
+ 195 since yesterday. 0.6% growth.
1.436 deaths.
+ 12 since yesterday.
19869 recoveries.
+ 317 since yesterday.

432 people hospitalised.
- 39 since yesterday.
58 in the ICU.
- 6 since yesterday.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Those were mostly indoors though. A better example would be Atalanta - Valencia, which was a superspreader event even though the stadium is very open. But even there it's not a complete done deal that the spread happened in the stadium, or in the public transport and bars surrounding the match.
I don't think there's any clear data from open air events. Spreading yes, super spreading no.
Carnival is an indoor event in the Netherlands? It is mostly outdoors in Belgium.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, we don't bother about the going inside part. Takes too much waiting.
Haha. Well, i'm not much of a carnival guy. In fact, i don't care for it at all. It's mostly the south of the Netherlands. I have been to a couple of them and had fun but it's just too crowded, loud and kinda stupid to me 😬 (absolutely hate the music involved). Not sure how it is in Belgium since i always think Belgium people are more refined and smarter than the Dutch.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Haha. Well, i'm not much of a carnival guy. In fact, i don't care for it at all. It's mostly the south of the Netherlands. I have been to a couple of them and had fun but it's just too crowded, loud and kinda stupid to me 😬 (absolutely hate the music involved). Not sure how it is in Belgium since i always think Belgium people are more refined and smarter than the Dutch.
Yes, we certainly think we are better than the Dutch. But yeah, loud, crowded and stupid is a good description for the Belgian side as well.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Carnival is an indoor event in the Netherlands? It is mostly outdoors in Belgium.
Yup way too cold outdoors around February. You dutifully look at a miserable parade and then conga-line (cause we're Dutch obvs) indoors to get wasted for five days straight. Even though I'm a bonafide 'ollander I went there too and curiously got struck down with flu like symptoms two weeks later.
It's interesting though because I always figured it was the same in Belgium, since much of the early spread was around carnival in both countries, and the curve as well (though quite a bit higher in Belgium, but that could have been explained by most of Belgium celebrating carnival, and not only 1/4th of the country like the Netherlands). What caused it in Belgium then?

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Yup way too cold outdoors around February. You dutifully look at a miserable parade and then conga-line (cause we're Dutch obvs) indoors to get wasted for five days straight. Even though I'm a bonafide 'ollander I went there too and curiously got struck down with flu like symptoms two weeks later.
It's interesting though because I always figured it was the same in Belgium, since much of the early spread was around carnival in both countries, and the curve as well (though quite a bit higher in Belgium, but that could have been explained by most of Belgium celebrating carnival, and not only 1/4th of the country like the Netherlands). What caused it in Belgium then?
It seems Belgium was hit heavily thanks to our tendency for ski holidays in Austria and the north of Italy combined with our annoying habit to go to work if we feel a bit under the weather. And refusal to test anybody that came back from Italy because it wasn't the 'right' part of Italy.

Oct 25, 2017
As the resident "brabo" in the board, l can promise you that the unsanitary conditions of Dutch carnival here in the south would make any distinction between inside or outside moot. : P
It's mostly just people being really drunk.

But yes, that was the major tipping point spread, even though we have evidence to suggest there was already some spreading going on before.

I think it's actually been a good thing because it had a type of shock effect. Like: "oh shit just got real", with the major cities following in the week after that.
What doesn't really make sense, data wise, is that other countries like Germany were equally made aware of the virus at that point, yet most of their cases came AFTER these events in March.

There's really no established theory of how this actually works.

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
So even after a couple months, states are still attributing deaths to Pneumonia instead of Covid-19. As you can see from below, Texas deaths for Flu/Pneumonia went up by 387, while Covid-19 Pneumonia only went up by 57.
For Florida, Flu/Pneumonia went up 330, while Covid-19 went up by 54.
Since the last up, only 12.8% and 14% of the deaths are being attributed to Covid-19 from those 2 states.

Texas up to May 23:
2018 Flu/Pnuemonia deaths: 3516
2018 Feb-May Flu/Pneumonia deaths: 1229
2020 Feb-May Flu/Pneumonia deaths: 5046
COVID-19 Pneumonia: 465

Texas up to May 30:
2020 Feb-May Flu/Pneumonia deaths: 5433
COVID-19 Pneumonia: 522
% of Covid-19 Pneumonia divided by Flu/Pneumonia: 57/444 = 12.8%

Florida up to May 23:
2018 Flu/Pnuemonia deaths: 3091
2018 Feb-May Flu/Pneumonia deaths: 1181
2020 Feb-May Flu/Pneumonia deaths: 5549
COVID-19 Pneumonia: 960

Florida up to May 30:
2020 Feb-May Flu/Pneumonia deaths: 5879
COVID-19 Pneumonia: 1014
% of Covid-19 Pneumonia divided by Flu/Pneumonia: 54 / 384 = 14%

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
As we get closer and closer to the fall semester the more and more anxious and panicked I get. It feels like there's a possibility that universities open up for the fall in my state (GA), and I legitimately don't know what I'm gonna do if they do open.

Unsure if I should cancel classes, or just stick it out for as long as possible. I really can't risk giving covid to anyone in my house. My siblings have asthma and my dad has a heart condition, and I just continue to be nervous, with the rhetoric coming out of my state.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
As we get closer and closer to the fall semester the more and more anxious and panicked I get. It feels like there's a possibility that universities open up for the fall in my state (GA), and I legitimately don't know what I'm gonna do if they do open.

Unsure if I should cancel classes, or just stick it out for as long as possible. I really can't risk giving covid to anyone in my house. My siblings have asthma and my dad has a heart condition, and I just continue to be nervous, with the rhetoric coming out of my state.

How many classes can you take online next semester? Also try going for once a week classes so you have to make less trips to campus. I did this in my latter years of college to save money driving (45 minute one way drive to class) and have more flexible class time while working 40 hours a week.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
How many classes can you take online next semester? Also try going for once a week classes so you have to make less trips to campus. I did this in my latter years of college to save money driving (45 minute one way drive to class) and have more flexible class time while working 40 hours a week.
the problem is that I'm a transfer student, and next semester is my first semester so I was able to only register for one class because everything else is taken.

The only spot I found was in class too. it's a Monday/Wednesday/Friday class.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
the problem is that I'm a transfer student, and next semester is my first semester so I was able to only register for one class because everything else is taken.

If you haven't already give them a call, send emails voicing your concern and seeing what alternatives may exist. There are definitely people at the uni that are there to help you, but you do need to reach out to them. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, be courteous but be heard and get your issues taken care of now. Don't stop until you've gotten a response, and check in with people until they act on what they say they will. Good luck and hope you and your family stay in good health.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

On top of what Muu said, keep an eye on the classes you do want, people always drop during add/drop week for any number of issues. Sometimes you can get an over ride into an online class by talking to advisors or professors.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Italy's update:
+318 new positive cases (total 233515)
+55 new deaths (total 33530)
+1737 new recoveries (total 160092)

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Chile update:

+ 3.527 new positives, 108.686 total
+ 75 new deaths in 24 hours (almost 20 more than last day), 1.188 total
+ 1.202 with a ventilator, 326 critical, only 326 ventilators available nation wide
+13.442 new tests reported, 612.772 total

Due to change of methodology, weird one, governemt claim that there are only 21.325 active cases, despite having 30.000+ new cases in the last 7 days.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+708 new cases (161545 total)
+51 deaths (11770 total)

The governor opened with an eye opening graph showing the rate of infection. It was over 5 when the lockdown was ordered, now its in the 0.8-0.9 range. Note the massive drop in 3 weeks immediately after the lockdown began.

EZhdIYEXYAUR3Tb

EZheKZGWAAI_UD0

Positivity rate at 3.6%

EZheKy3WsAA0Drq

Hospitalizations are flat/trending down
EZhet2kWAAEYMEQ

EZheuNxX0AIGI2q

EZhex53XYAAOMTI

EZheyT0XsAAD7-4

EZheypqWoAsI_DJ

EZhezHfXkAINDP1

EZhe7n0WAAQeL3y

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Very encouraging numbers out of NJ. That R0 drop after the lockdowns is great to see. LA County found something similar.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Went to McDonalds for some lunch. Every employee was wearing a mask... around their neck. Literally every single employee in sight. Not covering their mouths, not covering their noses... full neck protection!

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Bulletin for the
French situation for today 02/06:

151325 confirmed cases -766 (correction)
hospital:
14028 hospitalized -260 in 24 H (229 entries)
1253 in intensive care -49 in 24 H (33 entries)
18590 dead + 84 in 24 H

Care homes:
37405 cases +132
10350 dead +23

Total 28940 deaths +107 in 24H
covidcare_hosp06024xj60.png

Hospital graphs:
covid0602e9j7o.png

ICU entries:
icu06028ek34.png

Olorin

Oct 27, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+708 new cases (161545 total)
+51 deaths (11770 total)

The governor opened with an eye opening graph showing the rate of infection. It was over 5 when the lockdown was ordered, now its in the 0.8-0.9 range. Note the massive drop in 3 weeks immediately after the lockdown began.

EZhdIYEXYAUR3Tb

EZheKZGWAAI_UD0

Positivity rate at 3.6%

EZheKy3WsAA0Drq

Hospitalizations are flat/trending down
EZhet2kWAAEYMEQ

EZheuNxX0AIGI2q

EZhex53XYAAOMTI

EZheyT0XsAAD7-4

EZheypqWoAsI_DJ

EZhezHfXkAINDP1

EZhe7n0WAAQeL3y

NJ numbers are so mentally lifting. Every day is progressively positive. NJ acted a bit late but got their shit together and kept it together.

Oct 27, 2017
CT reporting only 8 deaths and a 3% daily positivity rate, with less than 300 new positive cases. Still not fully set statewide with contact tracing.

Hair salons, casinos opened this week. Dining is still outdoor or curbside pickup. Malls are open, haven't heard much in the way of incidents there. My shopping trip today: mask usage and distancing was much improved from a couple of weeks ago, not fully 100% but close.

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
CT reporting only 8 deaths and a 3% daily positivity rate, with less than 300 new positive cases. Still not fully set statewide with contact tracing.

Hair salons, casinos opened this week. Dining is still outdoor or curbside pickup. Malls are open, haven't heard much in the way of incidents there. My shopping trip today: mask usage and distancing was much improved from a couple of weeks ago, not fully 100% but close.
Wow that sounds amazing. Here in Arizona we for the first time hit over 1000 new cases added in a day and over 1000 hospitalization statewide.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I missed Cuomo the last two weeks, how is New York doing? Anyone catch numbers?
Numbers steadily going down. Numbers as of the day they're reported:
  • May 20: 1525 cases, 133 deaths
  • May 21: 2088 cases, 107 deaths
  • May 22: 1696 cases, 112 deaths
  • May 23: 1772 cases, 87 deaths
  • May 24: 1589 cases, 109 deaths
  • May 25: 1249 cases, 97 deaths
  • May 26: 1072 cases, 76 deaths
  • May 27: 1129 cases, 79 deaths
  • May 28: 1768 cases, 79 deaths
  • May 29: 1551 cases, 58 deaths
  • May 30: 1376 cases, 68 deaths
  • May 31: 1100 cases, 57 deaths
  • June 1: 941 cases, 54 deaths
  • June 2: 1329 cases, 64 deaths
If you want to keep track of it, there's a huge Wikipedia template which records newly recorded confirmed cases and confirmed deaths by state by day https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:COVID-19_pandemic_data/United_States_medical_cases