• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
so with all these protests and ppl not wearing masks, we're going to see a huge spike in June arent we?
Some research has indicated that spread occurs mostly indoors, but it's pretty certain that these protests will cause a lot of new infections.

I'm not entirely sure it will be obvious, though. Since the crowd is pretty young and testing in the US is barely available.

Also, considering that people have already started having pool parties again and are crowding up beaches and stuff like that, this won't be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Nov 13, 2017
The study is specifically referring to the viral load they are seeing in infected patients. But can't that be influenced by increased social distancing and wearing of masks?
I pray that it does. The issue with this article being reposted by every new site is that the simpletons of the world will interpret this as "oh it's just a common cold now" and the urgency to wear masks will deteriorate.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I am dreading those spikes in cases in most major US cities in a couple of weeks. Hope most go for testing to make sure they're ok.

And you know the protests are going to be the scapegoat going forward, lose-lose situation.

Nov 13, 2017
Some research has indicated that spread occurs mostly indoors, but it's pretty certain that these protests will cause a lot of new infections.

I'm not entirely sure it will be obvious, though. Since the crowd is pretty young and testing in the US is barely available.

Also, considering that people have already started having pool parties again and are crowding up beaches and stuff like that, this won't be the straw that breaks the camels back.
USA is doing nearly 500k tests a day now, so testing is definitely a lot more accessible.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
USA is doing nearly 500k tests a day now, so testing is definitely a lot more accessible.
How many people are on the streets?
500k tests a day isn't all that much when you have many millions of people potentially exposed.
Considering that a large chunk of infected is asymptomatic you will have many spreaders who will never get tested.

I don't think anyone can really predict what the consequences of this will be and it will be impossible to distinguish between resurgence in cases caused by the protests or the opening up of the economy.
But Trump will use it as another thing to deflect blame for sure.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017

Spread occured mostly indoors because people don't tend to have massive outside events in winter. Spread did occur in the lockdown protests, and quite a bit according to the takes in this topic.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Portugal:

32.700 confirmed cases.
+ 200 since yesterday. 0.6% growth.
1.424 deaths.
+ 14 since yesterday.
19.552 recoveries.
+ 143 since yesterday.

471 people hospitalised.
- 3 since yesterday.
64 people in the ICU.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scientist magazine has a worrisome piece about the study published on lancet last week.

Disputed Hydroxychloroquine Study Brings Scrutiny to Surgisphere

www.the-scientist.com

Scientists have raised questions about the dataset published in The Lancet last week that triggered the suspension of clinical trials around the world—and about Surgisphere Corporation, the company behind the study.

Questions raised over hydroxychloroquine study which caused WHO to halt trials for Covid-19

www.theguardian.com

Questions raised over hydroxychloroquine study which caused WHO to halt trials for Covid-19

Exclusive: Australian researchers query origin of data used for Lancet study, but stress there is no evidence drug is a safe or effective treatment

Seems like the australia data was wrong (or fake), they corrected the initial version since then but there's still questions where the data even comes from.

Last edited:

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Inside scoop is NJ is going to announce phase 2 today. Will report back after the governors press conference at 230 today.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Chile Update:

In the last 24 hours:

* 5.471 new positives, 105.159 total cases confirmed
* 59 new deaths, 1.113 total
*16.890 tests reported, 559.330 total

An estimated of 44.946 recoveries

MRYEAH

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The hall across the room
Saw this article on Medium
Wanted to share what research is finding to sum it up
Scientist saying it's airborne more than 6 ft
6feet is based on 1930's maybe an incorrect distance
Read
elemental.medium.com

How Covid-19 Really Spreads

Infected surfaces, airborne plumes, AC systems, toilet flushes, and close proximity may all be involved

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Scientist magazine has a worrisome piece about the study published on lancet last week.

www.the-scientist.com

Scientists have raised questions about the dataset published in The Lancet last week that triggered the suspension of clinical trials around the world—and about Surgisphere Corporation, the company behind the study.

www.theguardian.com

Exclusive: Australian researchers query origin of data used for Lancet study, but stress there is no evidence drug is a safe or effective treatment

Seems like the australia data was wrong (or fake), they corrected the initial version since then but there's still questions where the data even comes from.
A pretty massive fuckup for such a controversial situation.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017

www.the-scientist.com

www.theguardian.com

correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like Surgisphere is just making numbers up to me :(

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017

NJ now number one in per capita testing

EZb8JCaWkAAVaTe

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil is heavily fucked, we are constantly beating the record for confirmed cases, with the latest one being 33k new cases compared to the last day being 26k.

Our death toll Is going to get really bad (as if it weren't already) this month.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil is heavily fucked, we are constantly beating the record for confirmed cases, with the latest one being 33k new cases compared to the last day being 26k.

Our death toll Is going to get really bad (as if it weren't already) this month.
I believe i read an article that Bolsonaro's position is weakening as a result of covid. Any thoughts on that?

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe i read an article that Bolsonaro's position is weakening as a result of covid. Any thoughts on that?
Among the population? Sure, it is. There is only a vocal minority protesting in favor of him because they don't care about Corona and think it's all a hoax. The president supports and endorses it by being part of the protests. We don't have an health minister for 16 days now, since anyone that gets indicted will heavily disagree with Bolsonaro because no sane medical leader will want to throw their certification into the trash by supporting Bolsonaro and his heavily screwed and 100% going against all health procedures. So he (Bolsonaro) simply chose to not have an health minister.

The large majority of people (who also don't support Bolsonaro) are at home because Brazil has turned into a huge hotspot with probably the highest R* in the world atm, we are easily beating 1k deaths per day and it's going to get way worse since last few days our positive cases have been going 30k, while our numbers for the last few week were around 16k, almost an 100% increase. Our hospitals are already overrun, I sadly expect for us to beat the 2k-3k daily death mark by the end of this month.

In another note, the protests going on at the USA has inspired some brave heroes to go out and protest during these really hard times, Paulista Avenue (which is our Times Square) had peaceful protests for BLM movement until they were met with counter-protests from Bolsonaro's supporters and fascists cops had to intervene to prevent an escalation (also they obviously treated the Bolsonaro supporters way better and the anti-fascist/BLM movement with harsh measures). Not all is lost because my social media is "overrun" (in quotations because it's a good thing, aside from what the word "overrun" would imply) by awareness about Black Lives Matter, if it weren't for the huge gravity of the situation going on at the moment, I would also have expected to see a good number of protests going on around the country, especially since we had our own case of cops racially killing a 14 year old boy that has turned into a martyr for the movement just like George Floyd has.

Last edited:

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Still, I think we've been having the one of lowest death counts in Europe.
Still with idiots doing things like el macrobotellón in tomelloso I think we need the phone app asap.
IIRC the phone app will use the Google/Apple API and starts trials in Canary Islands soon. It really can't come soon enough as a help to manual contact tracing.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Still, I think we've been having the one of lowest death counts in Europe.
Still with idiots doing things like el macrobotellón in tomelloso I think we need the phone app asap.
I know Asturias at least has had 3 deaths today (so probably along the weekend). Still, the number of new infected is quite low and seems that most of the tracking capacity of the autonomies is working. Lets see if nothing happens during the holidays (just booked my flight home for mid july...)

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
IIRC the phone app will use the Google/Apple API and starts trials in Canary Islands soon. It really can't come soon enough as a help to manual contact tracing.
I hope so. It is essential for the "new normality".
I know Asturias at least has had 3 deaths today (so probably along the weekend). Still, the number of new infected is quite low and seems that most of the tracking capacity of the autonomies is working. Lets see if nothing happens during the holidays (just booked my flight home for mid july...)
I feel you, there's no way to know how international travel will work :(

Oct 25, 2017
meanwhile, the Dutch cases (pop. 17.3 million) have now dropped to single digit cases (even though the people who report having it is still about a 100), with (cafe / tourist) businesses re-opening as of today, under certain restrictions like 30 people max per establishment and still maintain 1.5 meters distance.

It's strange to see it drop off the Earth this quickly. Also, I should note that the Dutch data collection is probably some of the best available within the EU (this goes to infrastructure, transparency of bureaucracy, and other factors that just happened to already exist here), so that number is likely to be an accurate assessment of current reality.

I fully expect to see a rise next week as a result of reopening though.

What weird for me is that four months ago I was reading the same threads about it here and was like "yeah, it's gonna stay in China, right?" as well. I will say that knowing about it made me somewhat more mentally prepared for it going global though. So, I would like to thank all of you for keeping up with the news in spite of what it is.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Italy's update:
+178 new positive cases (total 233197)
+60 new deaths (total 33475)
+848 new recoveries (total 158355)

Deleted member 9932

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like Surgisphere is just making numbers up to me :(

It smells kinda funky they don't release the data nor allow for confirmation of the data integrity. And the order of magnitude of some results don't seem to add up.

"Data from Africa indicate that nearly 25 percent of all Covid-19 cases and 40 percent of all deaths in the continent occurred in Surgisphere-associated hospitals which had sophisticated electronic patient data recording," the scientists wrote. "Both the numbers of cases and deaths, and the detailed data collection, seem unlikely."

www.nytimes.com

Scientists Question Validity of Major Hydroxychloroquine Study (Published 2020)

Experts demanded verification of data and methods used in a study of drugs to treat Covid-19. The study suggested the drugs might have increased deaths.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Portugal super steady. Cascais at least is pretty maskless outside. Got my antibody test schedule for two weeks from now lol. They're trying to test all residents.

MANUELF

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico until yesterday (change from the day before)

Cases - 90,664(+3,152)

Deaths - 9,930(+151)

Recoveries - 64,326

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+509 new cases (160918 total)
+27 deaths (11721 total)

Biggest news as I alluded to in my earlier post is the Governor announced Phase 2, which starts June 15th

EZcq5mAWkAYuwaS

EZcq_tQWsAATNFk

EZcp_7JWkAAl46Z

EZcqL57WoAAWYog

EZcr7PzXQAEpH9v

Positivity rate at 3.5%
EZcr7hiXsAETWqI

Hospitalizations going down but its a Monday
EZcsHI6WkAEfUgZ

EZcsIBAWAAQEgMA

EZcsVIRX0AEIYXQ

EZcsVaOXkAAOCuo

EZcsV2NWoAIYeBZ

EZcsWF_WkAI3zoz

EZcp23_WkAIgqCE

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"We used to have task force meetings every single day, including Saturday and Sunday, and about 75% of the time after the task force meeting we'd meet with the president," Fauci said. "So I was meeting with him four times a week back a month or so ago."

He continued: "But as you probably noticed, that the task force meetings have not occurred as often lately. And certainly my meetings with the president have been dramatically decreased."

The White House did not immediately respond to HuffPost's request for comment.

Be safe out there, people, even if the WH wants to act like the pandemic is over.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Bulletin for the
French situation for today 01/06:

152091 confirmed cases + 338 in 24H
hospital:
14288 hospitalized -35 in 24 H (89 entries)
1302 in intensive care -17 in 24 H (9 entries)
18506 dead + 31 in 24 H

Care homes:
37273 cases
10327 dead

Total 28833 deaths +31 in 24H
covidcare_hosp0601tlk9o.png

Hospital graphs:
covid0601tmk5y.png

ICU entries:
icu0601u5jq1.png

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's not just in the US that protests are happening, and US testing isn't in that bad of a place anymore(still could be better though). I don't think it's gonna spread a ton though because from beaches and the previous protests, I think it's fairly clear the virus doesn't spread too bad outdoors.

Also, I think it's clear that social distancing is done not just in the US, but across the world.

Last edited: