• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
forgot to buy some coke this morning when i went shopping and even tho i've cut back on soft drinks a ton, I still like my coke with pizza, so I ran to the nearby coffee shop (with mask of course), ton of people both outside and inside, no masks, everyone looking at me like im a crazy person.

Good times >_>

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the high level regulations are still in place, but majority of business will be opened up. Tbh, at this point this would be more dangerous for Germany since they have already a lower number of active cases than Poland and far more control over spread of COVID.

Yeah this is the one that's just blowing my mind. They stressed during the conference that they are not letting nightclubs to open yet since they are among the most dangerous facilities as far as spread of the disease goes, yet at the same time they are lifting all restriction on churches. Moreover, people who don't follow the news closely will probably get impression that the worst is over. I'm afraid of what might be coming and disheartened that so many people are doing their best to avoid contact and government will just waste this for political purposes.
We do have local outbreaks though, esp. regarding the meat industry and there are quite a few Polish farm hands who work under similar conditions. But maybe they are already allowed to travel, there are quite a few exceptions. And regarding churches we just had a major outbreak at a church, boggles the mind to have no restrictions there. Does that really mean no masks, no social distancing, nothing?

Nymir

Oct 27, 2017
Italy's update:
+584 new positive cases (total 231139)
+117 new deaths (total 33072)
+2443 new recoveries (total 147101)

384 of those are from Lombardia, that's scary but most regions are doing better than yesterday and some are even reporting 0 new infections. I'm not one clamoring for reopening, not even close, but I haven't seen my boyfriend in more than 3 months, hopefully some leeway can be applied starting next week. I live in one of the safest Northern regions and he lives in a 0 new cases region in Central Italy. It's been hard.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but there's Vienna and then there's the rest of Austria 😜 But seriously and slightly less Nehammer-ish, I think there's been, like, four new positive cases in the last seven days in the state I'm living in (Tyrol) as well as around 30 active cases currently. I'm not saying loosen all restrictions immediately, but I also think that the potential for big outbreaks is currently really low here.

You're right, my point is based on Vienna right now. It's also the state with the majority of cases right now, so most at risk. But remember in March it only took a couple of hotspots to quickly spread in all states. Not that I think it will, people (in Vienna) seem to be quite careful in general.

CJohn

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal:

31.292 confirmed case.
+ 285 since yesterday. 0.9% growth.
1.356 deaths.
+ 14 since yesterday.
18.349 recoveries.
+ 253 since yesterday.

510 people hospitalised.
- 3 since yesterday.
66 in the ICU.
- 5 since yesterday.

----------

We now have ~11k actives cases with only 510 people actually being hospitalised, meaning the vast majority are at home because they are either asymptomatic or easy enough cases that they don't require active medical care. That is fairly positive I think.

Now if only we could further reduce the contamination rate as well as the death rate... feels like we're stuck at this plateu for a while now (which is a much better place to be than what we had in April though).

Tbh, besides the Lisbon region there were 8 new cases. That seems kind of fantastic, no? The big issue is the Lisbon region that with the lockdown ending it might go up quite a bit...

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I've been following this data for quite awhile

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...king-the-spread-of-the-coronavirus-in-the-u-s

I scroll through each state to see how its doing on a daily basis.

Most of the states still have an upward slope to their curve. Nothing is dropping and only a few states show a flattened curve.

Aren't the CDC guidelines to move to the next phase when the states flatten their curve? Seems like we are not there yet unless I am reading the data wrong.

This may sound stupid, but what am I missing?
Here in NV, we're following the WHO guidelines to reopen which means we want to see less than 10% Positivity Rate. Well what better way to drop the Positivity Rate by opening testing to everybody even if you have no symptoms

FE5qlsw.png

So by those standards, we are "opening"

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So, had maintenance barge into my Apartment unannounced, they had no masks on and one of them apparently was not feeling well, and said to keep our distance. They were checking for water leaks or something, spent like half an hour in the kitchen and bathroom, etc. I kept myself and my parents in my room with the fans on and window open, but they did both venture out a couple times and speak to these guys at a distance. Anyways, they're gone now, and they didn't cough or sneeze as far as I know. Assuming the sick dude had Covid, what are the chances we could get it, and is there anything we can or should do now?

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Bulletin for the
French situation for today 27/05:

145746 confirmed cases + 191 in 24H
hospital:
15680 hospitalized -584 in 24 H (271 entries)
1501 in intensive care -54 in 24 H (32 entries)
18260 dead + 65 in 24 H

Care homes:
10336 dead + 1 in 24H

Total 28596 deaths +66 in 24H
covidcare_hosp05279vkda.png

Hospital graphs:
covid05277wj64.png

ICU entries:
icu052730j3a.png

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017

I almost did this yesterday. The envelope it comes in is plain white with no markings to indicate it's a letter from the US government. The company name on the return address "Money Network Cardholder Services" is so generic sounding I assumed at first the letter was one of those "lower your rate" type scams. Thankfully my curiosity got the better of me and I didn't just chuck it into the shredder.

After looking at the bullshit fees tied to using that debit card, I'd rather have gotten a simple check I could've directly deposited into my bank.

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
I almost did this yesterday. The envelope it comes in is plain white with no markings to indicate it's a letter from the US government. The company name on the return address "Money Network Cardholder Services" is so generic sounding I assumed at first the letter was one of those "lower your rate" type scams. Thankfully my curiosity got the better of me and I didn't just chuck it into the shredder.

After looking at the bullshit fees tied to using that debit card, I'd rather have gotten a simple check I could've directly deposited into my bank.
If you had a bank why not just set up direct deposit?

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
So, had maintenance barge into my Apartment unannounced, they had no masks on and one of them apparently was not feeling well, and said to keep our distance. They were checking for water leaks or something, spent like half an hour in the kitchen and bathroom, etc. I kept myself and my parents in my room with the fans on and window open, but they did both venture out a couple times and speak to these guys at a distance. Anyways, they're gone now, and they didn't cough or sneeze as far as I know. Assuming the sick dude had Covid, what are the chances we could get it, and is there anything we can or should do now?
Wipe down the common surfaces in the kitchen and bathroom. And ventilate those rooms if you can, I guess. That's about all you can do. A half hour is a long time for a sick person to be breathing all over your kitchen and bathroom.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
384 of those are from Lombardia, that's scary but most regions are doing better than yesterday and some are even reporting 0 new infections. I'm not one clamoring for reopening, not even close, but I haven't seen my boyfriend in more than 3 months, hopefully some leeway can be applied starting next week. I live in one of the safest Northern regions and he lives in a 0 new cases region in Central Italy. It's been hard.
I can totally see your point, and I think that since Wednesday you will have the possibility to see him again. As you mentioned, however, Lombardia's numbers are still high (not as high as before, of coursez bit before they weren't just high - they were hellish). For this reasons, as I wrote yesterday, I would just avoid that people from Lombardia and Piemonte (still high numbers there, too) go to other regions until mid June, so that in the meantime numbers can further decrease.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Wipe down the common surfaces in the kitchen and bathroom. And ventilate those rooms if you can, I guess. That's about all you can do. A half hour is a long time for a sick person to be breathing all over your kitchen and bathroom.
Well, wiped everything down, turned on the exhaust fan in the bathroom (it actually sucks the air out, I think) and opened all the windows and turned all the fans on for a couple hours before turning the air back on. Maybe that was good enough? At least I hope it was, as me and my parents are kinda high risk I think (I'm immunocompromised and they are both elderly with pre-existing conditions, so yeah). :/

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
Just did a small comparison using the CDC numbers.

Florida:
2018 Flu/Pnuemonia deaths: 3091
2018 Feb-May Flu/Pneumonia deaths: 1181
2020 Feb-May Flu/Pneumonia deaths: 5549

Texas:
2018 Flu/Pnuemonia deaths: 3516
2018 Feb-May Flu/Pneumonia deaths: 1229
2020 Feb-May Flu/Pneumonia deaths: 5046

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm
https://wonder.cdc.gov/controller/datarequest/D76;jsessionid=79613680F2D76D396E1F3B335F1CB3D6

It's interesting that Florida is still at 97% of expected deaths in that timeframe from averages so what other deaths are substantially down to offset the much higher rise in covid/pneumonia reported deaths?

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
It's interesting that Florida is still at 97% of expected deaths in that timeframe from averages so what other deaths are substantially down to offset the much higher rise in covid/pneumonia reported deaths?
I remember seeing something about fatalities being down in just about everything. Auto fatalities (insurance companies had to issues refunds due to so few accidents) and any other type of accidents are big ones. I think they mentioned even infant mortalities was down.

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018

I would venture it is accidents. Less driving and less people outside. Accidental deaths is 4x that of flu/pneumonia in 2018.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Has there been any further study on the role of shared HVAC systems in spreading covid-19?

I remember the one on the spread within a restaurant but haven't come across any further research.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
My county is now pushing to be allowed to enter stage 3. Counting down the days until we threaten to sue Newsom again, like last time.

www.abc10.com

Placer County says it's 'prepared to address' coronavirus spike; pushes Newsom to reopen gyms, movie theaters

"As we open up, we anticipate a spike will happen. The good news is that we're well prepared to address those surges," said county supervisor Bonnie Gore.

This would include our movie theaters and gyms. demanding to be allowed to open by June 1st for tourism.

"As we open up, we anticipate a spike will happen," Gore said. "The good news is that we're well prepared to address those surges. As we move forward, we all have to continue being kind to one another and taking precautions to keep one another safe."

Good luck with that.

Last edited:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Driving less so less accidents, less strokes with the stress of the daily commute. Less going to bars and restaurants, so less drunk driving, food and drinking habits that change. ... A whole lot of changes that cause less deaths on the short term.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
news.yahoo.com

South Korea re-imposes some social restrictions to combat new virus cases

The new cases -- mostly centred in the Seoul metropolitan area where half the South Korean population lives -- prompted officials to strengthen social distancing rules that were eased on May 6. Citizens were also advised to refrain from social gatherings or going to crowded places -- including...
South Korea on Thursday re-imposed a series of coronavirus social distancing measures it had eased early this month, as a series of clusters threatened to challenge its success in containing the epidemic.
The country has been held up as a global model in how to curb the virus, but reported its biggest spike in new infections in nearly two months as life appeared returning to normal.
The new cases -- mostly centred in the Seoul metropolitan area where half the South Korean population lives -- prompted officials to strengthen social distancing rules that were eased on May 6.
Museums, parks and art galleries will all be closed again from Friday for two weeks, said health minister Park Neung-hoo, while companies were urged to re-introduce flexible working, among other measures.
"We have decided to strengthen all quarantine measures in the metropolitan area for two weeks from tomorrow to June 14," he said.
Citizens were also advised to refrain from social gatherings or going to crowded places -- including restaurants and bars -- while religious facilities were asked to be extra vigilant with quarantine measures.
There were no new delays, however, to the phased re-opening of schools that is currently underway.
"The next two weeks are crucial to prevent the spread of the infection in the metropolitan area," Park said, adding: "We will have to return to social distancing if we fail."
The health minister said the government will be forced to re-impose an all-out social distancing campaign if the country sees more than 50 new cases for at least seven consecutive days.

pollo

Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any further study on the role of shared HVAC systems in spreading covid-19?

I remember the one on the spread within a restaurant but haven't come across any further research.

www.erinbromage.com

The Risks - Know Them - Avoid Them

Please read this link to learn about the author and background to these posts. It seems many people are breathing some relief, and I’m not sure why. An epidemic curve has a relatively predictable upslope and once the peak is reached, the back slope can also be predicted. We have robust data from...

Here's something that was posted earlier in this thread that was pretty informative. Pretty dated now (May 6) but still a lot of good information.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium: 31 new deaths, 18 in hospitals and 9 in retirement homes, meaning there are now 9.388 total deaths. 47 new hospitalisations, 107 have been discharged. Leading to 1.060 beds used, which is the lowest since 21st of March. Intensive care has seen a small drop again, to 208 beds used, which is 16 less.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Update from Slovenia:

After few days without any case, found four in the last two days. That bring number of found cases to 1473.
108 people died in total, 7 are in the hospital and only 2 are on IC

Looks like all elementary schools will reopen for all students on Monday.
Every citizen of EU countries that has a valid reservation in tourist facilities (camps, hotels, apartments...) can freely enter the country.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
1) Stop trying to downplay this shit
2) Our population density and lack of mass transit relative to most European nations means we should have an enormous built in advantage
3) Our enormous undertesting means there are likely lots of deaths from COVID not being caught in the numbers.
4) Numbers are not even being counted in the same way in every country. Some places are releasing preliminary numbers that assume a lot of deaths are from COVID while others are only counting confirmed cases that led to deaths. That is to say nothing of deliberate obfuscation and fudging of numbers.

This is USA we're talking about, while much of it is spread out you still have mass transit and built up areas, I made that point a few months ago so it's not like I didn't factor that in and US is a major country for world travel and business, said it take a bit longer to work through these areas. Spain has lots of spread out areas barely hit, much of it is in Madrid Barcelona and Madrid was out of control early similar to NY. Many European countries we're slow in testing to begin. I'm looking at excess deaths for Europe so your concern there is not valid either. Per head US 100k is roughly similar to Spain having just 15k deaths. Whether US is actually 120-150k is not the point and further exemplifies as I said 100k was a conservative prediction a few months ago.

All I said was a few months was 100k deaths for a country the size of the US with 330 million is a conservative estimate and here we are. Not down playing, it was inventible not matter how alarming 100k sounds, you have to take the size and population and world prominence of this region we call a single country into account.

Last edited:

plow

Oct 28, 2017
We do have local outbreaks though, esp. regarding the meat industry and there are quite a few Polish farm hands who work under similar conditions. But maybe they are already allowed to travel, there are quite a few exceptions. And regarding churches we just had a major outbreak at a church, boggles the mind to have no restrictions there. Does that really mean no masks, no social distancing, nothing?

Can only talk for our church, but we have really strict rules. And we are a really small church.

Rules include:

1. Wearing masks the whole time.
2. Once you leave the building you can't come back
3. No singing
4. Many free seats between people
5. Cleaning up and applying disinfectant afterwards

Bigger churches have to include a list of people that visited that day. Some churches even use an app where people that enter the church have to Log In, so that they can contact trace IF something happens.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Portugal:

31.596 confirmed cases.
+ 304 since yesterday. 0.96% growth. (first time over 300 in a while..)
1.369 deaths.
+ 13 since yesterday.
18.637 recoveries.
+ 288 since yesterday.

512 people hospitalised.
+ 2 since yesterday.
65 in the ICU.
- 1 since yesterday.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
My office in NYC just gave us an update on potential return to office dates - we won't be going back until *at least* Labor Day, so we're WFH through the summer.

Curious to see how the summer develops and if that will be pushed back even further. I am really in no rush to head back into the city at this point.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Can only talk for our church, but we have really strict rules. And we are a really small church.

Rules include:

3. No singing

Bigger churches have to include a list of people that visited that day. Some churches even use an app where people that enter the church have to Log In, so that they can contact trace IF something happens.

the rules are reasonable

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017

Rules include:

3. No singing

These are reasonable but were they mandatory before in Poland and now are not anymore?

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Chile update:

* 4.654 new positives in 24 hours, reaching the total of 86.943
* 36.150 estimated recoveries
* 49 new deaths in 24h, reaching 890
* 15.650 tests reported in 24h, total of 530.173

So our positivity is sky high, we reached China numbers in positive cases but thousands less dead. Either the capacity of our system is better than China's, medics weren't caught off guard here, or something else is going on.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
Spain yesterdaay only had 1 death, and today too 1 death. I obviously don't believe it, but given the chaos on the release of numbers from each region, I think they decided to report updated weekly numbers instead.
elpais.com

Últimas noticias del coronavirus, en directo | Estados Unidos supera los 10 millones de contagios, casi el 20% de los casos en todo el mundo

El País Vasco acusa la presión en sus hospitales por la covid-19 y empieza a reprogramar operaciones | Sanidad notifica 512 muertos, cifra récord en un fin de semana de la segunda ola | Pfizer asegura que su vacuna tiene una eficacia de más del 90%

Oct 27, 2017
Chile update:

* 4.654 new positives in 24 hours, reaching the total of 86.943
* 36.150 estimated recoveries
* 49 new deaths in 24h, reaching 890
* 15.650 tests reported in 24h, total of 530.173

So our positivity is sky high, we reached China numbers in positive cases but thousands less dead. Either the capacity of our system is better than China's, medics weren't caught off guard here, or something else is going on.
Deaths are a lagging statistic. The people dying now were the new cases two or three weeks ago. If you haven't peaked in cases yet you unfortunately have a long way to go before deaths peak and come down.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Italy's update:
+593 new positive cases (total 231732)
+70 new deaths (total 33142)
+3503 new recoveries (total 150604)

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Deaths are a lagging statistic. The people dying now were the new cases two or three weeks ago. If you haven't peaked in cases yet you unfortunately have a long way to go before deaths peak and come down.

Indeed. In fact, there are a good chunk of "respiratory disease" related deaths registered since March (up to a couple of thousands) but the actual cause hasn't been confirmed so there's that too.

As for the second, sadly you are also right. We are still weeks from the peak, and we are talking that 80% of the positives are in the capital alone, so there are more regions that are still in early stages.

What pains me is that the "total quarantine" of the capital is everything but total. There are, of course, people that just get out and stuff, few police control preventing it (which boggles our mind since when protests broke last year, we saw them everywhere, but now? nothing), but also a lot, and I mean a lot, of people are still working. Both healthy and postivies, a study found that 15% of positives are still working due to lack of social safety net. It's so easy for a company to get a pass and continue working, and yeah, if the company has to close, then the workers starve. We are really doomed one way or the other. And personal passes are also easy to get, so, this number will just keep growing and growing

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Several new updates from Slovenia:

Masks are no longer mandatory in closed spaces, if there is enough space between people.
Fitness centers are opening on Monday and elementary schools will resume classes for all grades. High schools will remain closed.
Gatherings for up to 200 people will be allowed, but not on sporting events
All tourism-based facilities (thermal spas, hotels, resorts, camps) will open
Borders with Hungary and Croatia are open

Last edited:

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+1261 new cases (157851 total)
+66 deaths (11401 total)

EZHst02XQAE12qP

Positivity rate at 6%

EZHsuVnXkAEGm_1

Hospitalizations still flat/trending down

EZHtTDfXQAMeWRY

EZHtTjUX0AAy-Wv

EZHtXVSWsAE6PHn

EZHtXkZXsAAeSDP

The governor made a note of the large number of new hospitalizations today. Something to watch.
EZHtYDHXkAI2Wqj

EZHtYXWWAAEB7xG

EZHtjCtWoAQuYMm

Oct 27, 2017
NY tested 65000 people yesterday. Jesus.

(Perhaps some holiday weekend backlog, as the last two days were a little lower than usual. Anyway, 1768 new cases, 2.7% positive.)