• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Chile Update:

+ 3.964 new cases in 24h, reaching 77.961 in total
+ 45 new deaths, reaching 806 total
+ 30.915 total recoveries estimated
+ 501.125 total tests, 13.084 in the last 24h
+ 1.029 connected to a ventilator, 229 in critical condition

We are a 18 million people country. When you put that in perspective, per million inhabitants, this is how it looks:

dTLenF0.png

XnFXDwH.png

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Portugal:

31.007 confirmed cases.
+ 219 since yesterday. 0.7% growth.
1342 deaths.
+ 12 since yesterday.
18.096 recoveries.
+ 274 since yesterday.

513 people hospitalised.
- 81 since yesterday.
71 in the ICU.
- 1 since yesterday.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Had an acquaintance who is a nurse text me last night to ask if I'd come help him assemble a new gaming PC. I told him I wasn't comfortable going to someones house. To which he responded by telling me a couple of his co-workers have had covid and it's just like having a mild cold. Fucking Republicans, man...

My cousin is a Republican, caught COVID and was texting me about how horrible he felt, how bad it was, how scared he was by it, etc. He recovered and over a month later is telling everyone on his Facebook now that it was like a mild cold, way blown out of proportion, etc. So I just post pictures of our phone conversation up on his comments.

It's wild how many of these guys believe their own reality about this stuff, then even change their own reality to what their party says it is after they've literally experienced otherwise.
Was hoping that after catching COVID and surviving it, he'd wisen up politically a bit, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
Spain numbers. They updated yet again the total numbers so:
+4909 cases (only PCR) (total 236259) real number for last 24h is: 194
+283 deaths (total 27117) real number for last 24h or last week, it's not clear is: 35

If this countinues I will stop to post updates, as it will maybe be disingenous for the conversation and instead will try to post the news of the press conference and what they are saying.

Nov 13, 2017
My cousin is a Republican, caught COVID and was texting me about how horrible he felt, how bad it was, how scared he was by it, etc. He recovered and over a month later is telling everyone on his Facebook now that it was like a mild cold, way blown out of proportion, etc. So I just post pictures of our phone conversation up on his comments.

It's wild how many of these guys believe their own reality about this stuff, then even change their own reality to what their party says it is after they've literally experienced otherwise.
Was hoping that after catching COVID and surviving it, he'd wisen up politically a bit, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Expose him!!

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017

You're doing good work. Keep it up!

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Numbers are looking really good. Deaths are still very high sadly.
And for 17/18 regions out of 20 the numbers of positive cases are even better than what they seem. Out of 397, 159 are in Lombardia, 86 in Piemonte (over 60% of 397). My biggest worry is that, because of the general relaxation of the restrictions, in these two regions the numbers could easily increase again. For example, in my city (around 50k people, so I would say a "medium" one but neighbouring with a really big one) new cases appeared again after days where there were any, and the major now imposed the use of the masks outside, since the governor instead hasn't put that restriction yet and the citizens immediately started to gather without masks or social distancing. If now these two regions become open to the others on June 3rd, this could have a negative impact. I thus hope that only the other 18 regions can have regular movement of people until mid June.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+703 new cases (155764 total)
+54 deaths (11191 total)

The governor said the low numbers may be because of the long weekend but it wasn't a definitive statement. The governor had all his slides but they haven't been made publicly available, if/when I can find them I'll update my post.

Some important notes, Sports teams are allowed to resume training and Graduation Ceremonies are allowed to start on July 6th with proper social distancing guidelines being followed.

Heat Map - Hunterdon county has disappeared from the heat map, its just Cumberland at 23 days rate of doubling.

Test positivity rate at 5%

2723 people in hospitals
786 in ICU
578 on ventilators

HiHowAreYou

May 31, 2019
NJ Daily Numbers:

+703 new cases (155764 total)
+54 deaths (11191 total)

The governor said the low numbers may be because of the long weekend but it wasn't a definitive statement. The governor had all his slides but they haven't been made publicly available, if/when I can find them I'll update my post.

Some important notes, Sports teams are allowed to resume training and Graduation Ceremonies are allowed to start on July 6th with proper social distancing guidelines being followed.

Heat Map - Hunterdon county has disappeared from the heat map, its just Cumberland at 23 days rate of doubling.

Test positivity rate at 5%

2723 people in hospitals
786 in ICU
578 on ventilators
Really appreciate you posting the NJ numbers, checking this thread every day from South Jersey.

Zerokku

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah its kind of fascinating/angering. I broke quarantine yesterday to visit my parents for a quick dinner before things likely escalate here in AZ cause its probably not going to be safe to in a few weeks here. And my god. Still so angry at my dad. For some context my younger brother was handicapped and passed away from the flu back in 2014. Last month on said brother's birthday my dad had made a long facebook post about how it was almost comforting that he wasnt with us anymore cause this pandemic is the kind of thing that would almost assuredly taken his life if he was still alive. Meanwhile yesterday my dad was parroting all the right-wing talking points about how "most of the deaths are just nursing homes" and "let at risk people worry" and I almost blew up at him. Wheres his fucking empathy to realize at risk people are people like his own fucking deceased son.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
And for 17/18 regions out of 20 the numbers of positive cases are even better than what they seem. Out of 397, 159 are in Lombardia, 86 in Piemonte (over 60% of 397). My biggest worry is that, because of the general relaxation of the restrictions, in these two regions the numbers could easily increase again. For example, in my city (around 50k people, so I would say a "medium" one but neighbouring with a really big one) new cases appeared again after days where there were any, and the major now imposed the use of the masks outside, since the governor instead hasn't put that restriction yet and the citizens immediately started to gather without masks or social distancing. If now these two regions become open to the others on June 3rd, this could have a negative impact. I thus hope that only the other 18 regions can have regular movement of people until mid June.

I can tell you things based on my experiences in germany.

Of course, the situation here was never as bad as in Italy, but we relaxed the rules about 3/4 ( cant remember right ) weeks ago. Many schoold are opened already, Restaurants and shops are open. Of course, masks are mandatory in public services and Shops.

Still, numbers are steadily declining. 3 Weeks ago we had roughly 1000 cases a day. We dropped to about 500 cases a day. This is a really good sign, that social distancing and the usage of mask works wonders IF, and that's an big IF, the numbers are low enough. So low, that you can "easily" contact trace.
Now i don't know the situation in Lombardia, but 150 cases seems "managable" IF, they are spread. If 80 of these 150 cases are in Bergamo, then there is no Chance imo.

In Germany, they put a rule that says that a city can't have more than 50 cases per 100K habitants a week. If a city reaches that limit, they have to restrict the rules again.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Bulletin for the
French situation for today 26/05:

145555 confirmed cases + 276 in 24H
hospital:
16264 hospitalized -534 in 24 H (318 entries)
1555 in intensive care -54 in 24 H (37 entries)
18195 dead + 83 in 24 H

Care homes:
37235 + 382 confirmed (not yet published)
10335 dead (-10 correction)

Total 28530 deaths +83 in 24H
covidcare_hosp0526iqjkh.png

Hospital graphs:
covid0526vvjta.png

ICU entries:
icu05269zjd5.png

Last edited:

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Chile Update:

+ 3.964 new cases in 24h, reaching 77.961 in total
+ 45 new deaths, reaching 806 total
+ 30.915 total recoveries estimated
+ 501.125 total tests, 13.084 in the last 24h
+ 1.029 connected to a ventilator, 229 in critical condition

We are a 18 million people country. When you put that in perspective, per million inhabitants, this is how it looks:

dTLenF0.png

XnFXDwH.png

still, impressive number of tests per million

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I think I'm going to do the test next week (antibody and antigen). No symptons whatsoever, but kept working all this time (Lisbon, Portugal).

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
To add onto this, I've been hearing fireworks all weekend long, and there was a ton in particular yesterday. It's like people suddenly decided we're not in a middle of a pandemic anymore.

People got bored and tired of it so now it's apparently not a thing I guess? It is incredibly frustrating. We had people cheering and protesting to open in my state and just today we reported our highest number of cases yet, and this is before any reports come out of how the last week or two has been. And after seeing behavior from everyone this last memorial weekend I am sickened and not looking forward to the harsh reality that is going to inevitably strike sooner rather than later.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
still, impressive number of tests per million

It is. So much that for a couple of days privates ran out of them, but it was still a lot. EDIT: also, the Health Minister said that we are testing "too much" lmao

What happens is that everything else has failed. "Dynamic" quarantines, people that don't stay at home, people that CAN'T stay at home because of work, government discourse of "a new normalcy" and a shit ton of contradictions and just ignoring experts warnings has now the capital on the verge of collapse. Well some say it's already collapse and we'll see the death toll going up any following day

EDIT: Forgot to add that experts here also claim that number of cases should be at least 7 times what it is in the capital.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Been noticing more and more relaxing of quarantines, with more and more people out and about, not just locally, but seemingly nationwide - both people taking precautions and plenty who do not.
It's most likely this will lead to increased numbers of outbreaks, but legit question, what would happen if after a few weeks of this and we don't have an increase in outbreaks?

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Been noticing more and more relaxing of quarantines, with more and more people out and about, not just locally, but seemingly nationwide - both people taking precautions and plenty who do not.
It's most likely this will lead to increased numbers of outbreaks, but legit question, what would happen if after a few weeks of this and we don't have an increase in outbreaks?

what if there is no significant increase but no significant decrease either

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018

The biggest problem is that not all the states are operating with the public health as priority #1. We are seeing more articles on states either excluding the stats or making it so that it's obfuscated and support their plan for opening. The other issues is that the spike take quite a while to come about. 1-14 days for symptoms to show. Weeks for symptoms to get worse and needing hospitalization. Also factoring in that the spread of the virus also take some time. So basically it's a hard job to do.

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
What are theories about why georgia hasn't seen a spike since opening up at the beginning of the month?

GA website is a pain to get the information needed to see the trends. Had to use another tracker that took snapshots of the numbers over time. As you can see below, there was a spike the first week of May and last week.

13-Apr 13315
20-Apr 18,947 (+5632)
27-Apr 23,913 (+4966)
4-May 29,368 (+5455)
11-May 33,927 (+4559)
18-May 38,081 (+4154)
25-May 43,344 (+5263)

https://covidtracking.com/data/state/georgia

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why you phrase this likes its a bad thing. The research is pointing to people being "out and about" as a very minor risk. Even more so when the spread has been contained. The only thing we really can't have is large scale indoor events until a vaccine exists.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017

People will continue to relax their social distancing and precautions to the point that they will be an afterthought. That's when the second wave of infection hits and it will hit hard. This virus won't just magically go away.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
My parents are going out to dinner tomorrow for their wedding anniversary. Going to a restaurant that's sitting people six feet away from each other... not sure why they couldn't just order in.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
That would be a major positive. It would show that despite opening up certain things, we've mitigated the types of vectors that result in exponential growth. That helps us manage things until a vaccine is readily available.

The big potential problem is whether this creates a false sense if security with political leaders and people pushing the envelope with higher risk behavior.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017

Pretty useless if it's not saying which type of tests are inaccurate (I suspect it's the rapid ones). At the end it conveniently throws this out there:

" Therefore, it is best to use tests with high specificity – which are unlikely to produce a lot of false positives – and in populations where doctors suspect there are many cases," the CDC said."

We already have antibody tests with 99%+ specificity and sensitivity. They just require blood draws and lab work instead of finger pricks and on-device readings so it's not as easy to test wide swathes of the population.

Oct 27, 2017
Cuomo and Lamont today basically beginning to distance themselves from the crisis, seems like they are accepting the current levels, absent more-cautious company from other governors and federal guidance recommending safety. Cuomo meeting with Trump tomorrow to lobby for funds for public works projects. But basically he said the top earners will be just fine and small businesses will be the opposite of that. Small business failures won't necessarily translate to public works employment or other employment, and there's currently no plan to address this possible shift.

The food lines even now are beyond long. The child syndrome is still a threat. As of today there is no medical cure, vaccine, or standard treatment for COVID-19. Soon in one or two states there may not be a bed for you if you need hospitalization. There isn't even a protocol for people (or businesses) who are exposed, beyond quarantine/shut down for two weeks. As I understand it now there's no compensation in place for lost business or lost time at work, unless quarantined people will have access to unemployment and/or PPP over the next month or two. But except for NYC it seems like we're all basically "open" in the US now: people will come and go as they please, and people will defy orders to stay closed. Surely nothing worrisome about this.

Oct 27, 2017

This is another case of the CDC restating old information and news headlines turning it into garbage.

You shouldn't use an antibody test as an immunity certificate. And there are a lot of shitty ones out there. But if you know which one you're getting, you'll know how accurate it is. The Abbott and Roche blood tests (not rapid ones), and the ones being used for NY's survey, have a very high specificity.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
So a thought I've been having recently, is what would be the best way to get people to continue wearing masks during the flu season even after covid-19 is dealt with.

A lot of people die of the flu every year as well, and the measures we are taking to reduce the spread of covid-19 will work on plenty of other illnesses such as the flu as well. If we can get more people to accept masks in the winter, and get people to try to keep 6 feet between them and other people during the winter we could potentially save thousands of lives a year just in the USA from the flu. No crazy shut downs or anything, just masks and giving people personal space, but this only works if a decent portion of our population wears masks like a lot of Asian countries do.

I know I plan to keep wearing a mask during the flu seasons whether covid-19 is a threat or not, but it would be great if people in general could band together and do that as well so it could actually be effective.

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
I'm not sure why you phrase this likes its a bad thing. The research is pointing to people being "out and about" as a very minor risk. Even more so when the spread has been contained. The only thing we really can't have is large scale indoor events until a vaccine exists.
Yea, I don't see any discos or pubs opening soon, but a well ventilated room should also reduce the risk by a lot. This could help in schools and kindergardens to have a nice air flow getting rid of the lingering virus.
But outside activities seem to be a really low risk so I wouldn't call out all the beach goers to soon. If it turns out the cases do not rise after those outdoor activities they have more reason to doubt anyone who tries to tell them what to do. It could backfire.

Another interesting point that has been mentioned in today's podcast with Prof. Drosten is that only few people spread the virus and many just do not infect other people. That's probably connected to the fact that one person is only infectious for a short time period. 2-3 days before symptons start until 3-4 days after.
1 day before symptoms the person is at peak infectious and after a week they are most likely not infectious at all anymore.