• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Bulletin for the
French situation for today 19/05:

143427 confirmed cases + 524 in 24H
hospital:
18468 hospitalized -547 in 24 H (506 entries)
1894 in intensive care -104 in 24 H (69 entries)
17714 dead + 125 in 24 H

Care homes:
36530 confirmed cases -69 (correction from past errors)
10308 dead -342 (correction from past errors... )

Total 28022 deaths -217 (correction) with 125 death new deaths in 24H.
covidcare_hosp0519v3j9m.png

Hospital graphs:
covid051904jgz.png

ICU entries:
icu0519kxkm2.png

Hospital entries:
hosp0519tdkjs.png

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Nursing home directly across the road from me has a worker tested positive today.

I guess the only answer I have is to keep my family at home but both of us work anyways.

Im not looking forward to finding out what the testing will bring as far as cases.

not to mention my best friend at work is now in a coma from an accident yesterday.

I just want to scream.

RetroGiant

Oct 25, 2017
So apparently NSAIDs are now confirmed bad? Glad I fucked my shoulder up and am on Mobic now😞

Also just found out my niece who lives in rural Missouri (I don't live in that state) is now having shortness of breath, coughing and a fever. She's morbidly obese so this is not good at all.

Oct 25, 2017
It finally happened.. My sister got diagnosed with COVID-19 yesterday and my mom's been so upset since then. My sister is a doctor and the lack of PPE had seriously been a cause of concern for her.

Now the biggest problem is that she doesn't effect our extended family members who she is living with now while she self isolates.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Here in Singapore the lockdown is about a week from "ending", June 1st:

Last 3 days:
  • 5/19: 1 local case, 450 dorms, 530 discharged
  • 5/18: 5 local cases, 674 dorms, 998 discharged
  • 5/17: 2 local cases, 303 dorms, 495 discharged
  • Nationwide the ICU occupancy count is at 10
Of course by ending, it's a series of severe restrictions:
  • Masks still mandatory for anyone age 2+
  • Seniors can have 2 visitors/day if the visitors are from the same household (nobody else is allowed visitors)
  • Preschools have begun mass testing all staff before reopening
  • Other schools will be on biweekly schedules
  • Only a subset of businesses can reopen
  • All food and beverage seems to be reopening, but takeout only
  • Construction industry is allowed to restart, which is kind of a big deal
But the govt has also admitted they expect a case uptick, and if the number ticks too high we go back. So it seems likely, at least until October, that I work from home but my kid goes to school on alternate weeks.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017

It really looks like NM has turned the corner. Bernalillo county is where Albuquerque is located and only 9 new cases yesterday. Don't know how many tests have been run, but testing is free and available to all. The reservations are still the hot spots but those are improving, too.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Here in Singapore the lockdown is about a week from "ending", June 1st:

Last 3 days:
  • 5/19: 1 local case, 450 dorms, 530 discharged
  • 5/18: 5 local cases, 674 dorms, 998 discharged
  • 5/17: 2 local cases, 303 dorms, 495 discharged
  • Nationwide the ICU occupancy count is at 10
Of course by ending, it's a series of severe restrictions:
  • Masks still mandatory for anyone age 2+
  • Seniors can have 2 visitors/day if the visitors are from the same household (nobody else is allowed visitors)
  • Preschools have begun mass testing all staff before reopening
  • Other schools will be on biweekly schedules
  • Only a subset of businesses can reopen
  • All food and beverage seems to be reopening, but takeout only
  • Construction industry is allowed to restart, which is kind of a big deal
But the govt has also admitted they expect a case uptick, and if the number ticks too high we go back. So it seems likely, at least until October, that I work from home but my kid goes to school on alternate weeks.

by school, you mean like in a month, a student gets to go to school for only 2 weeks?

RJeddy

Dec 4, 2017

twitter.com

Reto Gregori on Twitter

“Good. Covid patients testing positive after recovery aren’t infectious, South Korean study finds https://t.co/I3AfpOqAEs via @business”

Super dumb question and I feel silly for not knowing how this works: say between now and when the vaccine is released someone is 100% known to be infected with the virus and ends up surviving, would they still need a vaccine? Or would the vaccine be only for people who have not been infected or those who are unsure, since (it's believed that) those that have had the virus cannot be reinfected?

stew

Dec 2, 2017
Super dumb question and I feel silly for not knowing how this works: say between now and when the vaccine is released someone is 100% known to be infected with the virus and ends up surviving, would they still need a vaccine? Or would the vaccine be only for people who have not been infected or those who are unsure, since (it's believed that) those that have had the virus cannot be reinfected?
It's an interesting question because no one knows for sure.
They wouldn't need the vaccine right away, but they might eventually need it later depending on the duration of immunity, which we don't know yet.
In the worst case scenario, the immunity wouldn't last long so they would need the vaccine when it goes out, but as far as I know it's very unlikely.

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
Not dumb because different viruses behave differently. If you ever get the flu, you can get it during another year. If you get the chicken pox, you are usually immune for the rest of your life. It is why parents used to have chicken pox parties so the kid could build immunity as a child when it is thought to be less dangerous.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Mmm. Netherlands has suspected animal to human transmission. A guy in a mink farm.

Not dumb because different viruses behave differently. If you ever get the flu, you can get it during another year. If you get the chicken pox, you are usually immune for the rest of your life. It is why parents used to have chicken pox parties so the kid could build immunity as a child when it is thought to be less dangerous.
Once you got a strain of the flu, you are immune. There are people with antibodies to the Spanish flu alive today. It is just that flu is not one virus, it is an entirely family.

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
Very depressing news

China's New Outbreak Shows Signs the Virus Could Be Changing

Chinese doctors are seeing the coronavirus manifest differently among patients in its new cluster of cases in the northeast region compared to the original outbreak in Wuhan, suggesting that the pathogen may be changing in unknown ways and complicating efforts to stamp it out.

Patients found in the northern provinces of Jilin and Heilongjiang appear to carry the virus for a longer period of time and take longer to recover
, as defined by a negative nucleic acid test, Qiu Haibo, one of China's top critical care doctors, told state television on Tuesday.

Cases in the northeast also appear to be taking longer than the one to two weeks observed in Wuhan to develop symptoms after infection, and this delayed onset is making it harder for authorities to catch cases before they spread, said Qiu, who is now in the northern region treating patients.
www.bloomberg.com

China’s New Outbreak Shows Signs the Virus Could Be Changing

Chinese doctors are seeing the coronavirus manifest differently among patients in its new cluster of cases in the northeast region compared to the original outbreak in Wuhan, suggesting that the pathogen may be changing in unknown ways and complicating efforts to stamp it out.
Perhaps it warrants its own thread. This could be big.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Fearmongering
Very depressing news

www.bloomberg.com

I have no doubt that this could be a long, drawn out process that sends use the way if the dinosaurs. I'm not trying to be alarmist, I just think this is why the world needs to come together to fight this shit.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Very depressing news

www.bloomberg.com

I wouldn't put too much stock into this yet, but it is worrying. They say in the article that it is hard to compare to Wuhan since people weren't as well tested and looked after during the outbreak due to being overwhelming - vs now they are probably being studied extensively.

They also hypothesize that this strain came from Russia, which of whom is just now experiencing their first wave, so that's 6 months give or take of time to slightly mutate and reach its way back to China.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium: 42 new deaths, 20 in retirement homes and 20 in hospitals. It means total death toll is now 9.150. 58 people have been hospitalized, while 160 have been discharged. It means only 1.527 beds are used anymore. Usage in intensive care has dropped with 32, to 313. It is clear these are 'monday' hospital discharges, as doctors suddenly started discharging again.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
I'm extremely skeptical of these kind of news. Where are the links to studies supporting the claim? Even when they name the study more often than not it's completely taken out of context or deliberately misunderstood to create click bait headlines - even on "reputable" news sites. For example the different strains bullshit that's been floating around since the virus first spread out of china.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
So, finally I couldn't find why the Spain numbers doesn't match. Even Worldometers gave my lower death numbers so it match with the total. This is from two days ago, I will post later the numbers for today.
Spain numbers (18-05):
+431 cases (only PCR) (total 232037, 0,19% increase)
+69 deaths (total 27778, 0,25% increase) The official number was 83 deaths, but the total number is still 27778.
Recoveries were not given yesterday.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
So, finally I couldn't find why the Spain numbers doesn't match. Even Worldometers gave my lower death numbers so it match with the total. This is from two days ago, I will post later the numbers for today.
Spain numbers (18-05):
+431 cases (only PCR) (total 232037, 0,19% increase)
+69 deaths (total 27778, 0,25% increase) The official number was 83 deaths, but the total number is still 27778.
Recoveries were not given yesterday.
I quoted you. It seems some numbers from Asturias were removed because they were "supposed coronavirus deaths" (aka with symptoms but no test)

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Portugal:

29660 confirmed cases.
+ 228 since yesterday. 0.8% growth.
1263 deaths.
+ 16 since yesterday.
6452 recoveries.
+ 21 since yesteday.

609 people hospitalised.
- 20 since yesterday.
93 in the ICU.
- 8 since yesterday.

Nov 13, 2017
Very depressing news

www.bloomberg.com

No.

"Scientists still do not fully understand if the virus is changing in significant ways and the differences Chinese doctors are seeing could be due to the fact that they're able to observe patients more thoroughly and from an earlier stage than in Wuhan."

"Researchers worldwide are trying to ascertain if the virus is mutating in a significant way to become more contagious as it races through the human population, but early research suggesting this possibility has been criticized for being overblown.

"In theory, some changes in the genetic structure can lead to changes in the virus structure or how the virus behaves," said Keiji Fukuda, director and clinical professor at the University of Hong Kong's School of Public Health. "However, many mutations lead to no discernible changes at all."

It's likely that the observations in China don't have a simple correlation with a mutation and "very clear evidence" is needed before concluding that the virus is mutating, he said."

I have no doubt that this could be a long, drawn out process that sends use the way if the dinosaurs. I'm not trying to be alarmist, I just think this is why the world needs to come together to fight this shit.
Please, just stop posting stuff like this. For the sake of everyone's mental health, stop speculating that humanity will go extinct because of this. There is zero logic behind that speculation and all you're doing is scaring people.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Please, just stop posting stuff like this. For the sake of everyone's mental health, stop speculating that humanity will go extinct because of this. There is zero logic behind that speculation and all you're doing is scaring people.
I agree with this. We're living through extremely uncertain and unpleasant times, but we can say with absolute certainty that this coronavirus is not an apocalyptic event. It killing 1% of the world's population would be horrific in scale, but it'd still leave 99% of us alive.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No.

"Scientists still do not fully understand if the virus is changing in significant ways and the differences Chinese doctors are seeing could be due to the fact that they're able to observe patients more thoroughly and from an earlier stage than in Wuhan."

"Researchers worldwide are trying to ascertain if the virus is mutating in a significant way to become more contagious as it races through the human population, but early research suggesting this possibility has been criticized for being overblown.

"In theory, some changes in the genetic structure can lead to changes in the virus structure or how the virus behaves," said Keiji Fukuda, director and clinical professor at the University of Hong Kong's School of Public Health. "However, many mutations lead to no discernible changes at all."

It's likely that the observations in China don't have a simple correlation with a mutation and "very clear evidence" is needed before concluding that the virus is mutating, he said."

Thanks. The "doom and gloom" posts are fucking tiring.

Accident

Oct 28, 2017

It really looks like NM has turned the corner. Bernalillo county is where Albuquerque is located and only 9 new cases yesterday. Don't know how many tests have been run, but testing is free and available to all. The reservations are still the hot spots but those are improving, too.

Hospitalizations are still low but increasing in NM
USiCMgQ.png

Oct 27, 2017
I'm extremely skeptical of these kind of news. Where are the links to studies supporting the claim? Even when they name the study more often than not it's completely taken out of context or deliberately misunderstood to create click bait headlines - even on "reputable" news sites. For example the different strains bullshit that's been floating around since the virus first spread out of china.
To underscore this, here's something I just read in an otherwise very straightforward summary of recent NY COVID news:

www.nbcnewyork.com

Shutdown Ends in 70% of New York Regions; Infection Spread Still High in Some NYC Nabes

And then there were three. Just New York City, Long Island and the Mid-Hudson regions remain shut down, more than two months after Gov. Andrew Cuomo initially issued his sweeping closure. New Jersey is inching along its reopening roadmap, relaxing more restrictions each day, while Connecticut...

The uncertainty around this virus has stalled progress to some degree. It has proven highly adaptable, mutating into a more contagious strain since first emerging in China last year.
This is just slotted in among a bunch of other perfectly acceptable facts about the virus. And it's either not true at all or very highly speculative, and just based on that article a while ago about the Europe strain being the large majority of cases in the US.

Oct 27, 2017
The major hospital in town now has 30 covid patients, down from its height at 160. As a result, the military national guard / army reserve task force is departing.

Today is reopening day here for malls and outdoor dining, an unseasonably cool and breezy but sunny day. Tonight will be cold.

The major anchor stores at the mall won't open until Friday, and the mall restaurants with outdoor entrances don't have the space for outdoor dining so they will continue with curbside. We'll see what happens over the long weekend, I'll be staying home.

EDIT: I haven't had any issues with curbside takeout of food or curbside pickup from retail these past two months. We still have super-long food bank lines in town and a neighboring town, which may continue for some time.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Put lease Kratos.
Good god if you lived through 1914 - 1946 who knows what you would be posting LOL!!!!!!

Yes this is a difficult time, unprecedented for this century...but perspective please.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
In the Dominican republic the government is reopening the economy and they're calling Secure COVIDianity. smh
Traffic is horrible and people are barely respecting social distancing. I don't see this ending well.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Italy's update:
+665 new positive cases (total 227364)
+161 new deaths (total 32330)
+2881 new recoveries (total 132282)

It seems that the daily increment of positive cases is between 600 and 1000 in the week days, too, with Lombardia and Piemonte's number the only one above 100 (294 and 158, today).

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Chile update:

New cases in 24h: 4.038 -> 53.617 total
New deaths in 24h: 35 -> 544 total

Estimated recoveries: 22.504 total -> active cases at 30.569
Connected to ventilators: 758, 143 in critical state

12.469 informed tests. 409.669 total.

85% of active cases are in the capital, which will remain in quarantine at least another week (but we know it will be more)

vastag

Oct 26, 2017

Look at the scar on the trachea from the intubation and the gastric feeding tube. Even if he didn't die he is going to be suffering the sequels from it the rest of his life. This are invasive procedures that have very real consecuences and are going to make him more exposed to other pathologies. A lot of survivors are going to have side effects that are going to impact the rest of their lifes. The numbers of dying people are only half of the story, that's why is so important to do everything in your hands to avoid getting it.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Look at the scar on the trachea from the intubation and the gastric feeding tube. Even if he didn't die he is going to be suffering the sequels from it the rest of his life. This are invasive procedures that have very real consecuences and are going to make him more exposed to other pathologies. A lot of survivors are going to have side effects that are going to impact the rest of their lifes. The numbers of dying people are only half of the story, that's why is so important to do everything in your hands to avoid getting it.

To say nothing of the way in which the impacts spread out amongst the loved ones of the people who suffered from the disease. Tons of people unable to say goodbye properly, the trauma of losing or having to worry about loved ones, the economic impact not just of shutdown but of time unable to work due to illness. No matter what the number ends up being this things impacts will extend long past just that simple number.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+1670 new cases (150399 total)
+168 deaths (10747 total)

EYegIFPWAAEKK9W

Slight uptick in positivity rate yesterday
EYegIYpXYAIVMfu

Heat Map is showing something potentially brewing in Hunterdon County

EYeghLMXQAgQwTV

Hospilatizations still flat/trending down

EYeg48eXsAM6TgL

EYeg7RVXYAA4c8P

EYeg_2bWsAI3kB9

EYehAGfWAAkmF1f

EYehAaIX0AEeVbi

EYehA2UXYAYQcHw

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone else has taken the time to show that the SoDak Dept of Health is fudging their data/data representation to misrepresent our States Data