• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

whalenapp81

Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand why nursing homes are getting hit so hard, i understand the part about the elderly/sick having a high death rate, but i don't understand why there's so many people getting infected there in the first place. Are they all together or something?

Having worked in the Admin part of a nursing home. It doesn't surprise me at all. You would be dismayed at what goes on.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I guess I'll find out tomorrow if my company will extend our home stay plan or if we are all coming back...

Edit: Traffic's gotten heavier so I guess things are back to *normal* lol.

Guess we'll see how it goes...

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017
Question:

One of my good friends had it in March and has since recovered and tested positive for antibodies. In early June, would it be risky for me to hang out with him at his place without a mask on?

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
theconversation.com

Masks help stop the spread of coronavirus – the science is simple and I’m one of 100 experts urging governors to require public mask-wearing

Recommendations around mask usage are confusing. The science isn’t. Evidence shows that masks are extremely effective to slow the coronavirus and may be the best tool available right now to fight it.

There are numerous studies that suggest if 80% of people wear a mask in public, then COVID-19 transmission could be halted

If everyone just wore a mask looks like Covid would be halted.

One of the only good things about living in one of the original hot spots (Long Island) is that everyone pretty much wears masks (stores don't let you in without one) and I think that's something Cuomo will hopefully keep mandatory.

The vast majority of people here saw up close how bad this got so there's not much resistance beyond the fringe lunatics.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Apparently my father in law posted on Facebook one of the dumb fucking memes about "my body my choice" in regards to quarantining. It upset me incredibly, but didn't surprise me since he's always been a piece of shit garbage person. I stay away from Facebook for the most part since my wife passed away last year, but I got so mad when my mom told me that. I said it was almost enough to get me on Facebook just to ask him how he felt his late daughter would feel about him appropriating language used for the defence of women, that she herself supported despite being extremely Christian, to mock those who are concerned about their well being - such as me, his son in law, or those who are too young to be compromised by selfish indulgences, such as my toddler son she left behind.

I didn't, because I don't need that drama in my life. But I'm just fucking seething with rage. My mother in law said he's had a lot of regrets since her passing, about the way he treated her and didn't respect her more liberal views. Well I don't see it. He was garbage while his daughter was on this Earth, and he's garbage now, and when he's thankfully gone from this world all that will be left is a stain of garbage rotting near the remains of my beautiful love filled wife. Hopefully that'll be soon so I feel better about eventually letting my mother in law see my child.

Just needed to rant, and had nowhere to vent, but the thread was close enough.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
My friend who survived was interviewed on the news tonight!

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loc...an-describes-battle-against-covid-19/2290621/

Doctors at Kaiser Permanente in Oakland feared they were so close to losing Kevin that they did something they rarely do. They allowed Martin, who was also infected with the virus, to be in the same hospital room as Kevin and hold his hand.

"All I know was that while I was under, all I could think of in my mind, I have to get back to Martin," Kevin said.

Martin said doctors tried a last-minute maneuver. They flipped Kevin on his stomach to help open up his airways.

"That started to make a significant difference," Martin said.

After 31 days in the hospital, Kevin was cleared, becoming the hospital's first severe COVID-19 patient to be discharged.

"They took very good care of me," Kevin said.

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
How are the local businesses that were the first to open up handling? I would assume that it isn't still that great considering less patrons and they would have to pay their workers now.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I need a fucking chrome extension so I stop seeing Fox News shit on youtube. Pisses me off that they even push that shit onto their front page, especially when I have clicked Tuckers dumb fucking face multiple times and told them to stop showing me that garbage.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017
Some good news on my end

My landlord decided to cut my rent in half for 3 months to show his appreciation for us (me and my wife are both nurses). We live in SF so this comes out to a lot of money we get to pocket.

I guess not all landlords are slumlord capitalist pigs

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I need a fucking chrome extension so I stop seeing Fox News shit on youtube. Pisses me off that they even push that shit onto their front page, especially when I have click Tuckers dumb fucking face multiple times and told them to stop showing me that garbage.

Click the three dots below the video to the right of the title and you can tell youtube to stop recommending the channel. I feel like I may still see it on other devices, but it's never in Chrome for me anymore.

Oct 28, 2018
Question:

One of my good friends had it in March and has since recovered and tested positive for antibodies. In early June, would it be risky for me to hang out with him at his place without a mask on?

Chances are it'd be fine. Up to you as to whether you're willing to take the risk, no matter how small it'd be. I think it's always best to err on the side of caution in these circumstances though.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Slovenian government called off pandemic at midnight , looks like due to the fact that two Corona relief packages can be cancelled at the end of May. Otherwise they would be obliged to extend them till end of June.

All stores are opening on Monday, inside service will be possible in restaurants and pubs (with seating limitations) .

Last edited:

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Slovenian government called off pandemic at midnight , looks like due to the fact that two Corona relief laws can be cancelled at the end of May.

All stores are opening on Monday, inside service will be possible in restaurants and pubs (with seating limitations) .
Here's hoping things go well over there. :) People will get tested or quarantined if they try to get into Slovenia? How is the border control gonna work?

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Here's hoping things go well over there. :) People will get tested or quarantined if they try to get into Slovenia? How is the border control gonna work?

Borders could open in June (in cooperation with neighboring countries), border checks will remain on border crossings. Every vehicle will receive guidelines for prevention of spreading the virus (calling off pandemic doesn't mean that preventive stuff will simply go away).

As I understand what government wrote, there won't be any mandatory quarantene for residents from EU countries that did not left EU in the last two weeks. But there will be for those from non-EU countries. Government will check and alter this measures e

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
They plan to restart the Portuguese Football League June 4th, meanwhile most teams are getting covid infected players every day, what a shitshow this is / will be.

Oct 27, 2017
How are the local businesses that were the first to open up handling? I would assume that it isn't still that great considering less patrons and they would have to pay their workers now.
Work at a local golf course and we opened back up on the 1st, business picked up like crazy and hasn't slowed at all, all our available tee times are booked from 6am to 5pm every day. No ones got anything to do so they come and play golf every day. We didn't have enough staff so they're hiring and I'm back to working full time and overtime was ok'd so there's a couple days I work 12 hour shifts.

I was making more on unemployment and the expanded unemployment assistance. Was afraid if I refused to go back I'd loose unemployment benefits and or would go back to work but at reduced hours as someone would have taken my original shifts. Now I'm dealing with at least 100 people every day and am wondering how long before I catch it because it seems inevitable at this point.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
aaand work from home status has been extended again, now we are scheduled to go back to the office by the start of July..if they don't reschedule again.

not exactly complaining since at least they are taking this stuff seriously enough

so they never tried to use something as simple as flipping people on their stomach until now?

i'm no medic but it doesn't seem like something you would "rarely do"

Oct 30, 2017
so they never tried to use something as simple as flipping people on their stomach until now?

i'm no medic but it doesn't seem like something you would "rarely do"

I mean - I remember seeing 6 weeks ago that being common practice in Italy on an exclusive report so....

Is something not getting through from foreign counterparts on best method of treatment?

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
Spain numbers:
+643 cases (only PCR) (total 230183, 0,28% increase)
+138 deaths (total 27459, 0,51% increase)
+1409 recoveries (total 144783, 0,98% increase)

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium: 56 new deaths, 35 of those in hospitals. Total has risen to 8.959. So to prove it is just another flu, it is more than twice as high as the harshest flu season in recent history. 67 people have been hospitalised, while 190 people have been discharged. It means 1.862 beds are used, which is the same level as 24th March. Intensive care has dropped to 380, same level as 24th March. It is 27 less than yesterday. Of those, 231 require ventilators.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, social distancing rules for work: only use 1 urinals out of 2. Covid finally making sure weirdos are forced to follow male etiquette.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
They plan to restart the Portuguese Football League June 4th, meanwhile most teams are getting covid infected players every day, what a shitshow this is / will be.
I'd rather they finish the damn thing already, like they did in France and Holland. Even if it screws over my own club (we'd finish 6th right now, missing out on the European competitions) the safety of all involved >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> a couple of extra matches.

Haha, social distancing rules for work: only use 1 urinals out of 2. Covid finally making sure weirdos are forced to follow male etiquette.
To be fair, most dudes already followed the "1 empty urinal of distance" rules lmao

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My employer (bank) extended our 300/week extra pay until June 15th. Been hording all the extra money for the past month and a half just in case they decide to say "just kidding, you're all fired".

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
coronavirus.jhu.edu

COVID-19 United States Cases by County - Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center

Johns Hopkins U.S. County Level COVID-19 Tracking Map

Anyone notice the deaths are being revised upwards on a day to day basis?

ICZJbyY.png

Dreaver

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium is basically re-opened? Looks like schools, bars and non essential stores are all open. Is Belgium an outlier?
It's pretty much the same in The Netherlands, at least soon. Schools are opening right now. Bars can open on June 1st. Non-essential stores were never forced to close, but a good bunch nonetheless. Most are open again.

GCX

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium is basically re-opened? Looks like schools, bars and non essential stores are all open. Is Belgium an outlier?
Here in Finland schools were opened yesterday (mainly elementary level only though) and non-essential stores have been open the whole time (though some were voluntarily closed). Restaurants should be able to open on June 1st with heavy restrictions in place.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty much the same in The Netherlands, at least soon. Schools are opening right now. Bars can open on June 1st. Non-essential stores were never forced to close, but a good bunch nonetheless. Most are open again.
Disclaimer that only elementary schools are open now (since monday) and bars and other venues will be allowed to open with heavy restrictions in regards to the number of visitors etc.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I hope schools will in general return to smaller size classes after this is over.
This would help teachers and students alike, not just from the health perspective.

That's gonna be a nightmare for music and physical education classes, which generally want a larger number of students. There is also the scheduling issue as music and physical education (classes that can have 50-100 kids in one block) are often used to help give other teachers prep periods.

Bjorn

Feb 11, 2018
Denmark
Denmark:
+78 cases (total 10,791)
+0 deaths (total 537)
+154 recoveries (total 8,959)

First daily update with no deaths since 22. March.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Portugal:

28583 confirmed cases.
+ 264 since yesterday. 0.9% growth.
1190 deaths.
+ 6 since yesterday.
3328 recoveries.
+ 130 since yesterday.

673 people hospitalised.
- 7 since yesterday.
112 in the ICU.
+ 4 since yesterday.

Denmark:
+78 cases (total 10,791)
+0 deaths (total 537)
+154 recoveries (total 8,959)

First daily update with no deaths since 22. March.
That's awesome! :D Hope it keeps going like that!!

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Damn I haven't kept up on the numbers for awhile, but New York really doing great.

Ohio opening gyms in 10 days? Wow.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's gonna be a nightmare for music and physical education classes, which generally want a larger number of students. There is also the scheduling issue as music and physical education (classes that can have 50-100 kids in one block) are often used to help give other teachers prep periods.

That seems somewhat trivial to solve though? If you have something that needs larger classes such as PE or something elsethat justifies it, could you not just timetable that two of the now halved (for example) sized classes go to the same lesson at the same time.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
As the situation runs worse on Chile, specially the capital, with 37.040 cases total and 22 deaths reported yesterday, reaching a total of 369, serious doubt are being placed in the authorities.

An official document from the Civil Registration Office (which, for example, gives birth and death certificates) shows that between March 03 and April 29 there were 4.201 deaths due to "respiratory problems" while in a normal year they sit in 1200. This document is real and legal, was obtained using the transparency act that allows anyone to demand these kind of document to be published.

Health Ministry, however, says this is not right, and that the number is 1.949 while last year was 1.700. They publish a screenshot of a spreadsheet with the numbers.

Funerary services also claim that deaths are higher, while a last night photo shows bodies lining in a single hospital (spoilered due to sensitive content). However, not every one is from Covid, claim is that at least half should be due to other causes, however it does show that the system is collapsing

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
That seems somewhat trivial to solve though? If you have something that needs larger classes such as PE or something elsethat justifies it, could you not just timetable that two of the now halved (for example) sized classes go to the same lesson at the same time.

That might work for Physical Education but music depends upon having the entire band or choir together to practice and build to a concert. You could do chamber units all year (small groups of 3-6 players who are 1-2 on a part) but that requires a lot of classroom space most schools don't have.

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
I was not having music and PE classes in mind, just in general. Class sizes get bigger and teaching and trying to pay attention in a big class is way more difficult than in a smaller class. Also, the teacher could take more time for each individual student.

For PE and music, at least when I went to school, the classes were divided (not everyone had to take music classes) between different subjects.
PE was also usually done together with other classes, so I don't see really a problem there as soon as it is over.

Currently it would be a problem since being in a closed room which is not well ventilated would not be a good idea.