• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Im really worried about this meat shortage. Am i over reacting, or should i be stock piling meat in my freezer.
Just keep like 3-4 lbs of meat in your freezer if you're worried. You don't need to "stockpile" though. Since this thing began I've had a backup supply of foods as both dry goods and frozen that would easily last me and my SO two weeks if we had to be fully quarantined. But I mean ... we're not sitting on a bunker-style stockpile of food. Even with that, I've had groceries dropped off at my door for over a month now, so it's not like I couldn't easily get groceries if I was in full lockdown. Meat is not going to run out, despite what Tyson is saying. Tyson's business is suffering, and they're trying to make it seem like a global shortage is on the way.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any evidence of this (link, etc)?
metro.co.uk

Coronavirus has mutated into three separate strains as it spreads across world

Dr Peter Forster, geneticist and lead author from the University of Cambridge, said: 'There are too many rapid mutations to neatly trace a Covid-19 family tree.'

Don't mind the second picture, it is showing early spread, it doesn't take into acount the spread of the Italian outbreak to Spain, Belgium, New York and France through the holiday period.

As for Cuomo's statement

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Situation in Chile:

After a change in methodology, we had several days with huge increases in daily cases, some days over the 1.000 positives. Today came close: 980 new positives in 24hrs. 10 new deaths too.

Total Cases: 20.643
Total deaths: 270
Estimated recovered (criteria is 14 days after confirmation or first sympthom, minus deaths): 10.415
Estimated active cases: 9.958
Connected to Ventilators: 354, 71 in critical state
7.913 tests reported in 24 hours, total of 214.131

Government went from using words like "Safe return", "Re-opening", "New normal" to "The Battle of Santiago" in a couple of days.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Italy's update:
+1221 new positive cases (total 211938)
+195 new deaths (total 29079)
+1225 new recoveries (total 82879)

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ schools closed for the rest of the year (digital only remains)

twitter.com

Governor Phil Murphy on Twitter

“#BREAKING: ALL SCHOOLS WILL REMAIN CLOSED for in-person instruction for the remainder of the school year – to protect the health of our children, our educators, and their families. Guided by safety and science, this is the best course of action.”

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+ 1621 new cases (128269 total)
+ 45 deaths ( 7910 total)

The governor noted there was a network outage which may have artificially depressed the numbers today.

Heatmap continues the same trend
EXL6qcpWAAAZvS8

Hospitalizations continue down for now

EXL6-zbWoAgrnlB

EXL7JcaWoAEgfxT

EXL7RbMXgActLsq

EXL7UDqWsAI9ds4

EXL7Z_1XQAUKAt7

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Portugal:

25524 confirmed cases.
+ 242 since yesterday. 0.95% growth rate.
1063 deaths.
+ 20 since yesterday.
1712 recoveries.
+ 41 since yesterday.

813 people hospitalised.
- 42 since yesterday.
143 in the ICU.
- 7 since yesterday.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Big business got trillions, regular people got crumbs and more debt, and now they want you to go out and spend invisible money and risk getting sick.

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
welp, looks like remote work for me will continue for at least until "end of summer" which means through august here in Finland.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It's based partly on a study that's been circulating for awhile, but get outside says British Columbia's provincial health officer. It's a couple of days old, but I think this is a good way to strike a balance as society moves forward.

The chance of catching COVID-19 from someone coughing as they walk past you in a park is "infinitesimally small," B.C.'s provincial health officer said Wednesday.

During her daily briefing on the pandemic, Dr. Bonnie Henry said people should still feel comfortable spending time outside, as long as they stick with members of their household and keep a two-metre distance from others.

"The risk that somebody who is sick spreads this virus from coughing or sneezing outside and you walk by them very quickly, even when it is within six feet, that risk is negligible.... We always say 'never say never' in medicine, but the risk would be infinitesimally small," Henry said.

The real risk comes inside, where it's much easier to be exposed to the droplets from coughs and sneezes that might carry the virus. Transmission is most likely to happen when people are spending time in close contact with each other in enclosed spaces, during dinner parties or meetings, Henry said.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Bulletin for the
French situation for today 04/05:

131863 confirmed cases + 576 in 24H
hospital:
25548 hospitalized -267 in 24 H (689 entries)
3696 in intensive care -123 in 24 H (84 entries)
15826 dead + 243 in 24 H

Care homes:
33791 confirmed cases + 430 in 24H
9375 dead + 63 in 24H

Total 25201 deaths + 306 in 24H.
covidcare_hosp0504sqkyn.png

hospital graphs
covid0504a7k96.png

Icu entries:
icu050424jfn.png

Last edited:

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's based partly on a study that's been circulating for awhile, but get outside says British Columbia's provincial health officer. It's a couple of days old, but I think this is a good way to strike a balance as society moves forward.

Yup. Nice to see a health office back this up. Parks opening up is good for health and doesn't pose much of a disease risk

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
3k deaths/day would mean nearly 100k just in June at that rate! There will be no 2nd wave, just an awful non-stop 1st.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Some information from Finland about the results from their contact tracing in the Helsinki area.
  • Public events were a big spreader as expected.
  • Most situations where spread occurs are similar. Close contact or staying in the same place indoors for a longer time.
  • Most transmission now are within households, from one of the adults bringing the infection home. A lot of the time the entire household gets sick but not always, children are usually the ones staying healthy. Unclear if this is because they don't get infected or because they are asymptomatic.
  • Asymptomatic children getting tested very rarely test positive, when schools were still open they found one infection in a student at the beginning of March. 4 classes were quarantined and zero other cases came up. Appears to be that kids have a harder time getting infected as well as milder symptoms when infected.
  • When schools were still open very few cases happened there and almost always in teachers.
  • People not being able to work from home are clearly overrepresented, as to be expected.
  • Health care personnel is not overrepresented compared to other parts of the working population.
  • Very few cases of infected people in turn infecting care givers and only single digit confirmations of patient -> doctor transmission.
  • Construction workers have been the most surprising area of overrepresentation.
  • Grocery store employees are surprisingly not overrepresented at all. Assumption is that they take hygiene seriously and keep social distancing in the stores.
  • Restaurants have a small transmission risk for people at the same table, but no transmissions to other tables have been found at this point. This is data from before the restaurants were closed for table seating.
  • Zero confirmed infections from people that have got it from packages/food/other objects. All cases in Finland come from people that have human contact.
  • Probably very small chance of being infected outside as long as some distance is being kept. Indoors has a much higher chance.
Article in Finnish here: https://www.hs.fi/tiede/art-2000006495503.html
This is great info, thanks.

metro.co.uk

Coronavirus has mutated into three separate strains as it spreads across world

Dr Peter Forster, geneticist and lead author from the University of Cambridge, said: 'There are too many rapid mutations to neatly trace a Covid-19 family tree.'

Don't mind the second picture, it is showing early spread, it doesn't take into acount the spread of the Italian outbreak to Spain, Belgium, New York and France through the holiday period.

As for Cuomo's statement

There's still no good evidence any particular strain is worse/more infectious than the others. Cuomo is just saying it's speculation right now. It could be true, but we don't know yet. While it does appear true that NY has more cases of the European strain, we know that all the major strains were already present on both coasts here in the US for some time.

Given the virus' resistance to big mutations I'd speculate it's more likely that differences in mortality rate largely come down to the general age and overall health of the local populace as well as how overloaded the hospital capacity gets.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are they suddenly expecting such a huge spike in cases and deaths?
Continued spread (its not slowed down in many places) in addition to reopening in these very places will just accelerate this.

The NYC metro area is really the only real area that's seen a true downward bending of the curve.

Look at the map in this https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthe...f7319f4a55fd0ce5dc9/optimized/full.pdf#page=1

especially continued growth and continued plateaus

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for sharing, hopefully we can calm down on demonizing people for going to the park with their family now.

Oct 27, 2017
Costco in the US is now limiting fresh meat purchases (beef, pork, poultry) to 3 items per customer. We'll still hear about no supply issues, though.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
'It makes no sense': Feds consider relaxing infection control in U.S. nursing homes

www.usatoday.com

'It makes no sense': Feds consider relaxing infection control in US nursing homes

A rule proposed by the U.S. government would change the time an infection preventionist must devote to a facility from part-time to "sufficient" time.

The federal government is considering rolling back infection control requirements in U.S. nursing homes – even as the long-term-care industry's residents and workers are overwhelmed by the coronavirus.

A rule proposed last year by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) would modify the amount of time an infection preventionist must devote to a facility from at least part-time to "sufficient time," an undefined term that lets the facility decide how much time should be spent. The regulation has not been finalized, but CMS last week defended its proposal, saying it aims to reduce regulatory burden and strengthen infection control.

Opponents of the change said the rule could leave nursing home residents more vulnerable to infection. They expressed concern, especially given the devastation COVID-19 has caused within long-term care facilities.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yep. WA is already opening state parks and I'm hoping National Parks/Forests follow suit.

Obviously might need to make a few adjustments. Maybe cap parking. Do a better job sanitizing restrooms or close them if need be. Keep picnic areas and playgrounds taped off.

But like, I have no issue with people responsibly going to parks and beaches. I saw a tweet shaming some beach goers but the picture was using a super zoomed in perspective that made it look a LOT busier than it was. Can I guarantee all the groups were household members? No, but I didn't see any group of more than 5-6 and the groups were spread out/

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Yep. WA is already opening state parks and I'm hoping National Parks/Forests follow suit.

Obviously might need to make a few adjustments. Maybe cap parking. Do a better job sanitizing restrooms or close them if need be. Keep picnic areas and playgrounds taped off.

But like, I have no issue with people responsibly going to parks and beaches. I saw a tweet shaming some beach goers but the picture was using a super zoomed in perspective that made it look a LOT busier than it was. Can I guarantee all the groups were household members? No, but I didn't see any group of more than 5-6 and the groups were spread out/

In general, I find that pictures from a horizontal perspective aren't doing a great job showing how close groups actually are. In my area, the outdoor locations were certainly busy this weekend, but people were also (generally) abiding by distances between groups. In a picture I sent someone, I realized it looked like people were on top of each other when that wasn't really the case. If the data shows that there is significantly reduced threat to being outside, I think it should be encouraged and not shamed. As you mentioned, the restrooms and other supporting facilities are the tricky part.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In general, I find that pictures from a horizontal perspective aren't doing a great job showing how close groups actually are. In my area, the outdoor locations were certainly busy this weekend, but people were also (generally) abiding by distances between groups. In a picture I sent someone, I realized it looked like people were on top of each other when that wasn't really the case. If the data shows that there is significantly reduced threat to being outside, I think it should be encouraged and not shamed. As you mentioned, the restrooms and other supporting facilities are the tricky part.
One of my personal hopes is the open up Mt Rainer park but close the lodge/or limit access to it.

Ski season got shortened but there's still snow up there lemme iiiiiinnnnn

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
Once you come to terms with the facts that the White House is filled with eugenecists who don't even think the weak, destitute or elderly have anything to offer, it becomes quite easy to understand why they don't care about 3,000 Americans dying each day.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I find this one even crazier to be honest:

In addition, as reported here:
www.ilmessaggero.it

Istat, a marzo quasi il 50% di morti in più, record a Bergamo: +568%, a Roma -9,4%

Coronavirus, i dati Istat e Iss di marzo dicono che a marzo 2020 ci sono stati quasi il 50% di morti in più rispetto rispetto alla media 2015-2019 del mese di marzo, con record a Bergamo...
If we consider the period from 20 February to 31 March, deaths rose from 26,218 to 49,351 (+23,133); just over half of this increase (52%) is accounted for by deaths reported to the Covid Integrated Surveillance System19 (12,156).

Given this percentage (52%), I suppose that many other deaths, which were nor reported because a test wasn't carried out, are due to Covid, and consequently the total count would be even more impressive.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
I was surprised how well people kept the distance in the opened pubs (on terraces) . Four of us occupied two tables and we had a nice chat. Around 25 people in three hours.

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017

MADISON, Wis. — Gov. Tony Evers announced a plan Monday to make Wisconsin one of the top states in testing per capita, according to a news release.

The plan to increase testing includes four major goals: respond to every outbreak throughout the state, test every nursing home resident and staff member, establish community testing programs in target communities and make sure everyone who has COVID-19 symptoms gets a test.
Health officials are working to establish a website so the public can find nearby community testing sites to ensure as many people are tested as possible. Evers is mobilizing 15 more Wisconsin National Guard units to help health officials set up testing sites around the state.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Newsom's announcements today for CA:

10k current contract tracing individuals "hired", goal is 20k
Up to 30k tests per day (goal is 60-80k by fall)
Pickup for retail stores (like clothing, toy stores, etc.) will be allowed by Friday (Phase 2 beginning)
Counties that are further along can proceed further into Phase 2 changes on a local level so long as they meet certain criteria
Counties will be allowed to stay more strict than State's guidelines

Mixen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
'It makes no sense': Feds consider relaxing infection control in U.S. nursing homes

www.usatoday.com

'It makes no sense': Feds consider relaxing infection control in US nursing homes

A rule proposed by the U.S. government would change the time an infection preventionist must devote to a facility from part-time to "sufficient" time.

This seems absolutely crazy!

If there is one thing you should be focused on it's protecting the elderly. Forget about everything else, this is by far the most important thing.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
UK will get past Italy tomorrow and will have the second-highest death-count in the world.

Case doubling (after x amount of days, the total case number is doubled):
Russia is getting crazy with one of the lowest doubling dates for new cases worldwide (8 to 9 days the last week) Only Brazil and Peru are in the same boat (9 to 10 days)
France and Germany are above 90 days for case doubling,
Italy is above 70
Spain gets better with >110 days
Canada is still in the red with 19 days (basically flat)
UK not better at 24 (improving at 0,5 days per day)
And the US at 27 (Improving roughly 1 day per day, it was 20, 7 days ago)