• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
More people are ignoring social distancing but the number of deaths is going down?
Remember that everything's on a 5-14 day lag for cases, and probably 14-21 days (or more) for deaths. If the people who ignored social distancing this past weekend get sick, it'll be a while before we see the real impact.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if some of the bad death numbers we saw last week in the US were from people ignoring social distancing over the Easter weekend. The timing is about right.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
User banned (3 days): Hostility
Interesting how you estimated the numbers so the lesser evil fits your narrative.

BTW, hundreds of thousands of people already died globally from COVID-19 with a lockdown, so you might want to make that millions instead of tens of thousands if the transition is not done properly.

Also, there is no choice between lockdown and no lockdown, that's a fake dilemma. The choice is just when to ease the lockdown and what measures you still need to have in place afterwards.

Interesting that you think there is some sort of fucking narrative to my post to begin with. This isn't some fucking politics thread where it's one side against the other, in case you missed the world is kinda fucked right no, maybe calm it with the accusations once in a while..?

No wonder some of the old timers stepped away from this place recently with shit like this allowed to happen. God forbid you don't tailor each and every post with multiple caveats and qualifiers.

Accusing me of trying it on with narratives in the middle of a fucking pandemic, come the fuck on. You can definitely miss me with that shit.

Guess what! No fucking narrative here, apart from the very real one that we are all, ALL in the shit equally until this first wave is done for. Until this thing is done for.

The 'narrative' I supposedly laid out in my post. Hey, hey, hey what is interesting is that it is already being played out in governments across the world despite the so called narrative (must be fiction right?) I wrote. It's absolutely shit for everyone living on this planet, but yeah, many governments with the support of vast majority of the respective populations will choose the lesser evil I posted about. My parents, relatives, sibling and even SO can be classed at risk. So yeah excuse me. Hell it's already happening now with countries reopening. Really, no country should be opening up until the r number is around 0.2, like New Zealand has done and cut the R0 right down to size. Realistically many are opening up with the r number many degrees higher then that.

BTW, I find it interesting how you fixated on the numbers I posted rather then the words around them.

Very interesting indeed. So you agree with what I said then? I mean that's the narrative I got from your post,right? Funny how that works.

BTW, the numbers I posted are indeed on the low end of things, unrealistic even, but I did so purposefully not to cause alarm in an already fucked thread.

But you know what, to satisfy your need to call me out for no apparent fucking reason, hey I'll add a good couple of zeros to the numbers I posted, yknow just to further push people into blind panic in this thread, ah but you MUST be accurate right? No room for reading the temperature in this thread. Just endless cynicism pessimism and bleakness in the disguise of keeping things real.

BTW, I have, in multiple posts, threads and discussions already on here many times CLEARLY stated about in between measures and the new normal we all need to live with until a treatments and a vaccine is found. I expressed support for them many times and even posted multiple suggestions.

I already stated it's a dial like system when it comes to shutdowns on this very forum, I mean my posts are open to all to read and trawl through.

BTW, the false dilemma isn't so false for many, many poor countries who literally cannot afford to lockdown for weeks if not months on end and the expect to open up slowly, it quickly becomes a matter of countless people starving on the streets and entire countries going bust. IMF isn't getting loan applications from the likes of Pakistan for the fun of it just to fund its own fucking lockdown, with the PM effectively stating they cannot lockdown for long or take things slow as people will starve in the streets.

Maybe check out the lockdown stories from the likes of Afghanista sometime? India? Pakistan? Somalia?

Maybe don't be blinded by first world thinking so much when it comes to a serious global issue that will and has affected everything and everyone.

TenCentTacos

May 9, 2018
I haven't seen anybody talk about it but Missouri's allowing any businesses or places of worship that want to be open to reopen on May 4th. Restaurants, movie theaters, arenas, churchs, whatever wants to open up. There will be NO requirements to wear a face mask, just the requirements of businesses limiting the amount of people that they have in their building and for people to maintain 6 feet away from each other. They are also allowing social gatherings with NO restrictions on the amount of people as long as social distancing of 6 feet or more is adhered to. I know people are talking about Texas a bunch, but Missouri's about to be a shitshow too.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen anybody talk about it but Missouri's allowing any businesses or places of worship that want to be open to reopen on May 4th. Restaurants, movie theaters, arenas, churchs, whatever wants to open up. There will be NO requirements to wear a face mask, just the requirements of businesses limiting the amount of people that they have in their building and for people to maintain 6 feet away from each other. They are also allowing social gatherings with NO restrictions on the amount of people as long as social distancing of 6 feet or more is adhered to. I know people are talking about Texas a bunch, but Missouri's about to be a shitshow too.

City and countries can overrule it so Kansas City and St Louis both aren't opening on May 4 (St Louis locked down faster then NYC) Missouri also upped their testing capacity to 50k a week which isn't bad for a state with 6 million, could be better but it was 1-2k a day so quite an improvement

crimnos

Oct 27, 2017

Live in St. Charles County and our local administration has already indicated they're going to follow the lead of places like California so I'm not too worried locally but it's going to get ugly outside the cities. Parson is beyond useless.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
White House and CDC released guidelines today on how states should proceed with reopening: https://www.whitehouse.gov/openingamerica/

I don't think it'll matter since it seems like every state is going to do its own thing. The idea that we're going to have some nationally coordinated standards is a pipe dream.

If Trump was a halfway competent leader, would could have.

Well, maybe. I'm sure that a few Red states would still be ignoring shit and doing their own thing.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
So, I'm in a group with people on Facebook and they are talking about feeling as if they potentially got the virus again. Some are saying that the second time isn't as intense as the first, while others saying the virus hit em harder than it did the first time. One said that they were getting better and the virus went dormant but came back in full force like others had reported.

All and all i felt like i had it at some point and got better from it. Right now it feels like i'm getting a reoccurring feel of the virus but this time its giving me slight stomach pain. I drink some heavily infused vitamin C tea and the feeling went away. Currently i have some aches and pain so i may have to self quarantine once again. Mind you i am one of these essential workers, who heavily protect himself even when working around co-workers. I pretty much wear my mask soon as a step out of my house, on the bus and at work. Only time i take it off is when i get home. Harsh times.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Ugh.. I totally forgot the RNC is going to be hosted here in August.. looking at these protesters and imagining that level of stupidity from all over the country descending on Charlotte at once.

Its no fun being at risk and thinking about how much more my chances of dying are going to go up in August.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
So, I'm in a group with people on Facebook and they are talking about feeling as if they potentially got the virus again. Some are saying that the second time isn't as intense as the first, while others saying the virus hit em harder than it did the first time. One said that they were getting better and the virus went dormant but came back in full force like others had reported.

All and all i felt like i had it at some point and got better from it. Right now it feels like i'm getting a reoccurring feel of the virus but this time its giving me slight stomach pain. I drink some heavily infused vitamin C tea and the feeling went away. Currently i have some aches and pain so i may have to self quarantine once again. Mind you i am one of these essential workers, who heavily protect himself even when working around co-workers. I pretty much wear my mask soon as a step out of my house, on the bus and at work. Only time i take it off is when i get home. Harsh times.
From all accounts so far, the virus might come back and hit harder, but the infectious period is at the beginning.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Apparently R0 is back at 1 again here in Germany and that is without the reopening which happened yesterday. I don't see good things happening.

Naru

May 11, 2019
Apparently R0 is back at 1 again here in Germany and that is without the reopening which happened yesterday. I don't see good things happening.
Forget the reopening (which was a mistake of course and probably 2-3 weeks too early) for a second. When I see the people and how they wear their masks I get really angry. If we had masks like in China or Japan, real proper masks or at least the capacity to hand out normal proper surgical masks I would be ok with the obligation to wear them in trains etc. but the people with their self-made masks that don't fit right, that are too loose so they touch their faces constantly to readjust them... that's crazy. When suddenly keeping distance isn't that important anymore since you have a "mask"... that's crazy. To be honest, I feel more in danger now that everyone is wearing a mask in stores since most people completely changed their behavior.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Forget the reopening (which was a mistake of course and probably 2-3 weeks too early) for a second. When I see the people and how they wear their masks I get really angry. If we had masks like in China or Japan, real proper masks or at least the capacity to hand out normal proper surgical masks I would be ok with the obligation to wear them in trains etc. but the people with their self-made masks that don't fit right, that are too loose so they touch their faces constantly to readjust them... that's crazy. When suddenly keeping distance isn't that important anymore since you have a "mask"... that's crazy. To be honest, I feel more in danger now that everyone is wearing a mask in stores since most people completely changed their behavior.

True. The other idiotic thing I am seeing people having it on their mouth but not their nose.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
News from Austria:

- The lockdown ends with 1 May, though it has always been less strict than in some other countries (you were allowed to go for a walk, for example).
- You are allowed to meet up with other people outside, but you still have to keep your distance.
- All shops will reopen on 2 May (1 May is a holiday).
- Restaurants will reopen on 15 May with certain restrictions (e. g., distance between tables, masks for waiters, reservations are mandatory)
- Hotels, museums, tourist attractions etc. are allowed to reopen on 29 May, again, with restrictions

That's all possible because the current R0 is 0.63 and has been below 1 since the beginning of April. People apparently overwhelmingly adhere to the rules.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
This has been mentioned a few times.

www.forbes.com

More Than 10,000 Suicides Tied To Economic Crisis, Study Says

During the economic downturn there were more than 10,000 "excess suicides," researchers say.
Thanks, had not seen it before. So this deals with the financial crisis. Effects could be more severe this time around due to the economical as well as psychological (lockdown) impact being higher was my first thought. As I read on it got interesting, majority of cases was from people already suffering from depression. I'm not a psychologist but I had a gf who was suffering from depression and she was basically socially distancing herself. Not all depresssions are equal though so we will have to see if social distancing has an effect on people with depression.

The big point for me was that countries like Sweden basically felt no impact bc they have a social security system, that helps people affected by an economic downturn with the US and UK being hit the hardest. That explains why it was not a big talking point here in Germany I guess. I really feel for the people in the US and UK, the pandemic hit them hard bc of their incompetent leadership (or lack thereof) and now the measures fighting the pandemic have the potential to hit them exponentially again...

That is the opposite of my experience, people in stores are better socially distancing than before with masks on. Outside is a different case though not mask related. Yesterday was really great weather and there were huge crowds and big groups everywhere, sitting together tight, having picknicks, hugging and drinking beer together. That's what all this Laschet talk gets you I guess.

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From all accounts so far, the virus might come back and hit harder, but the infectious period is at the beginning.
All accounts? What? The South Korea articles about the virus coming back even mentions that it is there but dormant etc. First time i see someone saying it comes back a second time and with harsher symptoms.

DarkMagician

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How are some of you coping with this mentally? Being locked in at home has been depressing (legitimately clinically depressing) for me and I don't know what to do. I'm losing interest in playing games or watching TV or even doing work now. :\

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
My hospital is finally going to start doing coronavirus tests in-house. Guess who's the lucky night shift guy that's going to do them!! Lol

ugh. Business as usual I guess.

Test itself is a PCR test from Cepheid very, very similar to their flu/RSV pcr test. I think they're done setting it up and we go live with it tomorrow. 45 min turnaround time is gonna be nice. No more waiting for 1 day after sending it out to USC.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Mmm, hospital told my family we can come visit our covid positive uncle. Bad sign I fear.

All accounts? What? The South Korea articles about the virus coming back even mentions that it is there but dormant etc. First time i see someone saying it comes back a second time and with harsher symptoms.
We have had lots of people say that they felt better at two weeks, to have it come back hard a couple of days later. Not dormant, but the calm after the storm. That is why people tend to end in the hospital after two three weeks.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
How are some of you coping with this mentally? Being locked in at home has been depressing (legitimately clinically depressing) for me and I don't know what to do. I'm losing interest in playing games or watching TV or even doing work now. :\
Maybe pick up a lapsed hobby? I started drawing again. Or pick up a new one. I ordered a sewing machine and will learn how to sew. Cooking is also a great hobby to pick up in these times.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

well, *cough*

it isn't different than before?