• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because of the PPP loans, I'm getting full pay regardless of hours worked for the next 6 or so weeks. Pretty awesome.

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a new ranking by Londoner Deep Knowledge Group (DKG)

d7b9fd_cbbad88ec5d544uajvy.png

d7b9fd_4823164372cc447akv1.png
Israel being #1 and Taiwan not being anywhere but #1 is a joke. lol.

Kleefeld

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Italy is counting retirement homes while Spain isn't, right?

This article is from 2 weeks ago:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...r-higher-than-reported/ar-BB122vvc?li=BBnb7Kz

MILAN–—In the town of Coccaglio, an hour's drive east of here, the local nursing home lost over a third of its residents in March. None of the 24 people who died there were tested for the new coronavirus. Nor were the 38 people who died in another nursing home in the nearby town of Lodi.

These aren't isolated incidents. Italy's official death toll from the virus stands at 13,155, the most of any country in the world. But that number tells only part of the story because many people who die from the virus don't make it to the hospital and are never tested.

In the areas worst hit by the pandemic, Italy is undercounting thousands of deaths caused by the virus, a Wall Street Journal analysis shows, indicating that the pandemic's human toll may end up being much greater, and infections far more widespread, than official data indicate.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
We must consider that only around 27k tests were carried out however, while in the past week the daily numbers were around 50k.
I think we will find out how the situation really is in the following 2-3 days.

Hmm, but the the results take a few days right? So the results from today should be from tests on friday or Saturday.

Dec 7, 2017
We must consider that only around 27k tests were carried out however, while in the past week the daily numbers were around 50k.
I think we will find out how the situation really is in the following 2-3 days.

Don't you think that the number of tests is not that much relevant? I mean, if they only test people with symptoms, could it be that less people are feeling sick?

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
From 56 deaths from Corona virus in Slovenia, 42 of those were from retirement homes. And majority of new deaths will be from that endangered group.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Hmm, but the the results take a few days right? So the results from today should be from tests on friday or Saturday.
I think that it works in the following way. After a person gets the test, (s)he receives the result after a few days. However, the number of tests that is daily announced is the number of processed tests in that same day. For example, out of these 27k tests performed yesterday (or Easter), they found out 2.9k positive results, and they announce them today.
However, you rose an interesting question, and I can't guarantee that what I described is how really is, since I don't know in exact details.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Don't you think that the number of tests is not that much relevant? I mean, if they only test people with symptoms, could it be that less people are feeling sick?
It might be that in Easter or Easter Monday less tests were done. The same happened in the past weeks, where the numbers of tests announced on Sunday and Monday were a bit lower than the other days of the week.
But I really hope that at least in part it is what you say, and that less people are requiring the test.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I think that it works in the following way. After a person gets the test, (s)he receives the result after a few days. However, the number of tests that is daily announced is the number of processed tests in that same day. For example, out of these 27k tests performed yesterday (or Easter), they found out 29k positive results, and they announce them today.
However, you rose an interesting question, and I can't guarantee that what I described is how really is, since I don't know in exact details.

I hope they did not find 29k positives on 27k Tests :D

But i get what you say, would be interesting to know the details

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I hope they did not find 29k positives on 27k Tests :D

But i get what you say, would be interesting to know the details
I forgot a dot (fortunately) :)
Another thing I read in the past, about the tests, is that the number of tests announced in Italy includes also the "check tests", i.e. the tests carried out to know if a person has recovered. At least two tests must be negative to be declared recovered. So, at least in part, this should be considered when discussing about the number of tests and its relationship with other numbers.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, it is a lot of people, CNN says hundreds of thousands, this has everything to be a disaster.
edition.cnn.com

Hundreds of thousands return to work as Spain relaxes coronavirus lockdown | CNN

Around 300,000 non-essential workers are estimated to have gone back to their jobs in Spain on Monday as the country began to lift lockdown restrictions aimed at curbing the spread of coronavirus, a spokesperson for Madrid's regional government told CNN.

Even with this, there are still less people than London, NY and Paris parks running and walking.

Smoothcb

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't care about any of these things. I do care about schools, however.

And if these things are true, school reopening does not bode well for the current generation of children.

These are great responses. Media has a Western bias, and I enjoy reading about how Asian countries didn't even have to flatten occur because they never let it become one.

Imagine living in a country where leadership values its citizens over "the economy."
Actually they don't necessarily care about the citizens. They only care as much as keeping the CCP in power and not losing the Mandate of Heaven to rule. This is a common theme throughout Chinese history.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
These are great responses. Media has a Western bias, and I enjoy reading about how Asian countries didn't even have to flatten occur because they never let it become one.

Imagine living in a country where leadership values its citizens over "the economy."
Actually they don't necessarily care about the citizens. They only care as much as keeping the CCP in power and not losing the Mandate of Heaven to rule. This is a common theme throughout Chinese history.

Your are saying Taiwan, South Korea, Singapore and Vietnam government only care about keeping the CCP in power?

edit: emphasis added

Last edited:

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
1227 people hospitalised.
+40 since yesterday. **
218 in the ICU.
+30 since yesterday. **

** - Pretty big growths here, after a very positive week with consistent drops :S

I assume there was some kind of mistake/lack of data yesterday since ICU dropping by 40 was completely abnormal.

In 2 days we went from 228 to 218 so it's fine, hopefully the trend continues.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
Single day high for NJ but much of that comes from the weekend backlog:

Average deaths last 3 days: 208
Average deaths over previous 3 days: 233

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily numbers (more detail):

+4059 new cases (68824 total)
+365 deaths (2805 total)

Both are new highs but you have to account for the holiday weekend. Tomorrow should be very telling.

Single day high for NJ but much of that comes from the weekend backlog:

Average deaths last 3 days: 208
Average deaths over previous 3 days: 233

Hospitalizations over 8k now.

Last edited:

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Bulletin for the
French situation:

103573 confirmed cases + 5497 in 24H
hospital:
32292 hospitalized + 179 in 24 H ... still positive, dammit... (1965 entries)
6730 in intensive care -91 in 24 H (this is a net decrease, 275 entries)
10129 dead + 541 in 24 H

Care homes:
39370 cases
5600 dead + 221 in 24H

Total 15729 deaths + 762 in 24H
covidcare_hosp0414vtk80.png

hospital graphs:
covid04141vkch.png

covidtable04140ujc5.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Minnesota just continues to hold strong. We have not yet seen a surge and have kept a pretty good cap on any kind of major growth.

That said we're literally surrounded by idiots who aren't issuing SIP orders. South Dakota isn't looking hot.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Minnesota just continues to hold strong. We have not yet seen a surge and have kept a pretty good cap on any kind of major growth.

That said we're literally surrounded by idiots who aren't issuing SIP orders. South Dakota isn't looking hot.

Yeah, I just checked the SD numbers, 988.

I wish I could get my fiancée out of there before shit really gets bad.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

Again... Wisconsin shares a very large border with you, and we are doing fairly decent with the shelter in place orders and general control of this thing. Not perfect, but fairly good, especially for Wisconsin, so stop calling us idiots :/

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Again... Wisconsin shares a very large border with you, and we are doing fairly decent with the shelter in place orders and general control of this thing. Not perfect, but fairly good especially for Wisconsin, so stop calling us idiots :/

Sorry, I meant on our left and below.

I've been impressed with WI and I normally like to make fun of you all (it's a sport/regional thing - so I mean it in jest)! Especially proud of your election results. Way to go!

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
www.forbes.com

What Do Countries With The Best Coronavirus Responses Have In Common? Women Leaders

From Iceland to Taiwan and from Germany to New Zealand, women are stepping up to show the world how to manage a messy patch for our human family.

Looking for examples of true leadership in a crisis? From Iceland to Taiwan and from Germany to New Zealand, women are stepping up to show the world how to manage a messy patch for our human family. Add in Finland, Iceland and Denmark, and this pandemic is revealing that women have what it takes when the heat rises in our Houses of State. Many will say these are small countries, or islands, or other exceptions. But Germany is large and leading, and the UK is an island with very different outcomes. These leaders are gifting us an attractive alternative way of wielding power. What are they teaching us?

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
NJ was reporting 2,700-3,000 cases for a few days and now it jumped to 4,200 cases in a day today? Thats worrying

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I meant on our left and below.

I've been impressed with WI and I normally like to make fun of you all!
I know what you meant, and usually Wisconsin does stupid things, but darn it, we deserve some credit this time. I mean we even managed to get the Dem supreme court pick in with a commanding lead despite the GOP trying to kill us all and reduce voters to the point where it felt impossible going in (Milwaukee down to 5 polling places from the usual 180)

I really feared we would be worse than Michigan going into this given Milwaukee isn't that far from Chicago but so far we have been alright.

NJ was reporting 2,700-3,000 cases for a few days and now it jumped to 4,200 cases in a day today? Thats worrying

reduction in testing due to the holiday weekend. Part of that jump is from catching up on that, the other part is that we are likely not at the peak yet, as that is likely still a few weeks out.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I am catching up with governor Cuomo briefing... he gave the percentage of people intubated that don't make it to leave the ventilator.
80% of intubated people die in the state of New York.
It's 40 to 50% iirc in France, but we don't intubate people whom we know will not make it, because of condition too advanced, and we don't displace people from nursing homes if they are in a too advanced stage, since they wouldn't survive the artificial comatose state procedure. I guess in NYS they try to intubate even if there's no real chance to make it out alive.

Last edited:

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
US deaths spiking today, but its really just a lag from the holiday weekend reporting. Still, not a great sign that things are slowing significantly.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Daily Pennsylvania update. Looks like we have really flattened the curve!

Total Tested: 133,631 (roughly 1% of the state population)

Cases
April 2 +1,211 (+21%)
April 3 +1,404 (+20%)
April 4 +1,597 (+19%)
April 5 +1,493 (+15%)
April 6 +1,470 (+13%)
April 7 +1,579 (+12%)
April 8 +1,680 (+12%)
April 9 +1,989 (+12%)
April 10 +1,751 (+10%)
April 11 +1,676 (+8%)
April 12 +1,178 (+5%)
April 13 +1,366 (+6%)
April 14 +1,146 (+5%)

Total: 25,345 cases

Deaths
April 7 +78 (+48%)
April 8 +70 (+23%)
April 9 +28 (+9%)
April 10 +78 (+23%)
April 11 +78 (+19%)
April 12 +13 (+3%)
April 13 +17 (+3%)
April 14 +60 (+11%)

Total: 584 deaths

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I am catching up with governor Cuomo briefing... he gave the percentage of people intubated that don't make it to leave the ventilator.
80% of intubated people die in the state of New York.
It's 40 to 50% iirc in France, but we don't intubate people whom we know will not make it, because of condition too advanced, and we don't displace people from nursing homes if they are in a too advanced stage, since they wouldn't survive the artificial comatose state procedure. I guess in NYS they try to intubate even if there's no real chance to make it out alive.

I think that was the same number either in Italy or worldwide though? Or even higher, 86% was reported earlier. But yeah for the same reason you mention.

I'm not sure this should be spoiler tagged, like there's a genuine discussion to be had whether you send someone to the ICU to die alone with noone allowed near

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I know what you meant, and usually Wisconsin does stupid things, but darn it, we deserve some credit this time. I mean we even managed to get the Dem supreme court pick in with a commanding lead despite the GOP trying to kill us all and reduce voters to the point where it felt impossible going in (Milwaukee down to 5 polling places from the usual 180)

I really feared we would be worse than Michigan going into this given Milwaukee isn't that far from Chicago but so far we have been alright.

reduction in testing due to the holiday weekend. Part of that jump is from catching up on that, the other part is that we are likely not at the peak yet, as that is likely still a few weeks out.
Weekend lag made worse with a holiday. Today might be another record day for deaths in the US too.
The governor noted in his press conference that there was a lag due to the weekend. If it's at 4k again tomorrow its time to be worried.

Alright thanks guys, I missed the conference and went with the online tracking. I just want to see it stable and heading towards a decline as it was before the numbers that came out today. Glad it wasn't a spike in cases

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I think that was the same number either in Italy or worldwide though? Or even higher, 86% was reported earlier. But yeah for the same reason you mention.

I'm not sure this should be spoiler tagged, like there's a genuine discussion to be had whether you send someone to the ICU to die alone with noone allowed near

Hmm i see your point... i never thought it was that high.
wandering : an opinion ?
Shall we open this ?

thefit

Oct 25, 2017

Even with this, there are still less people than London, NY and Paris parks running and walking.

Yeah but it spreads like wildfire by just touching surfaces or breathing the same air, relaxing work restrictions also gives you a false sense of security to go back to doing what you did before the pandemic, going out when you should stay in, socializing, traveling etc and you are back to jump in cases and spreading it beyond your borders again. Countries are going to watch Spain like they did Asian countries who also have a resurgence. Their leaders are using their countries as experiments and people agreeing to it is scary and sad.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno

It's only going to get worse there too, especially on the western side of the state as the weather starts to warm up and people travel (which you know will happen), plus you're going to have all the snowbirds (people who leave in the winter for warmer weather and come back to an area in the summer) start to come back to the state.

I really wish I could get my fiancée out of there, but I can't (we have nowhere to go).

Last edited: