• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Still wondering if we are missing Weekend numbers in Germany. Because if not, the growth rate for the last 4 days would have been <5% each day. I hope this is true and we don't get a huge surge in weekend numbers today.
RKI said most of the weekend data was included in yesterday and today's numbers

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Well, you could do the math yourself and subtract recovered and death from the total cases ;)

???????

www.resetera.com

Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) resources and discussion thread (Discussion guidelines in OP) COVID - OT

As i said, Worldometers just didn't report the numbers on Monday and they added them yesterday. on The 5.4 we had 100.024 and 30.600 Recovered. Today we have 107.660 (+7636) cases and 38.287 recovered (+7687). So yeah 500 was wrong, but it went down by 50. Since numbers will change i don't...

:PP

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
The regional healthcare director of Grand Est region (the one the worst hit by the pandemic), Christophe Lannelongue, has been terminated in his functions because he announced a few days ago he would continue to remove beds (-174) and layoff of personnel (-598 people) in the Nancy Hospital.

Fucking moron.
He was a symbol of money before health.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
covid19.healthdata.org

IHME | COVID-19 Projections

Explore forecasts of COVID-19 cases, deaths, and hospital resource use.

how accurate are these numbers? it was showing a total of 100k deaths a few days ago down to 80k on monday and 60k since today. That seems to be showing that the problem is getting smaller?
Updated projection for Florida.

covid19.healthdata.org

IHME | COVID-19 Projections

Explore forecasts of COVID-19 cases, deaths, and hospital resource use.

-No longer shows a shortage of ICU beds.
-Ventilators needed down from ~2,100 to 1,300
-Projected deaths down from 6,800 to 4,400

All this is based on full social distancing through the end of May.

The IHME model has been already proven wrong in several countries that are further in the timeline.

Edit: that doesn't mean it couldn't be correct in some cases, but seeing how it is based on full social distancing until the end of May it's very unlikely to be correct for a lot of American states.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Portugal:

13041 confirmed cases.
+699 since yesterday. 5.6% growth.
380 deaths.
+35 since yesterday.
196 recoveries.
+12 since yesterday

1211 people hospitalised.
+31 since yesterday
245 in the ICU.
-26 since yesterday. ( BIG decrease in this # for the first time ever I think).

-------------------------------------------------

Our growth rate has very much remained stable in single digits and between ~5% to ~8% in the past week and half. I think it's now safe to say we're at or reaching our plateau. Unfortunately the deaths haven't exactly slowed down, but for the first time we're seeing a decrease in the ICU cases so maybe in the coming days things will be better in that regard.

Our recovery numbers remain sluggish though, not really sure why.

Last edited:

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
New numbers Netherlands:

20.529 confirmed cases (+969)
7735 hospitalizations (+308)
2248 deaths (+147)

These deaths don't represent a 24 hour period, but rather also include delayed confirmations of previous days. Also note that from now on, number of confirmed cases will most likely increase as testing capabilties are increasing (from ~4000 to eventually ~29000 daily).

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Spain will start adding more information on deaths in care houses on Fridays and Tuesdays it seems. And of course, Madrid somehow realized that they fuck it up big time (likely an additional 3.5k deaths):
elpais.com

Madrid atribuye al virus la muerte de 4.260 residentes en centros de ancianos y personas con discapacidad

La gran mayoría son víctimas no incluidas en el balance que da el Ministerio de Sanidad porque murieron sin diagnóstico

Reminder that care houses were fully under control of the regions and they didnt say anything about them until the mess was too big to hide. Fuck them all.

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The regional healthcare director of Grand Est region (the one the worst hit by the pandemic), Christophe Lannelongue, has been terminated in his functions because he announced a few days ago he would continue to remove beds (-174) and layoff of personnel (-598 people) in the Nancy Hospital.

Fucking moron.
Enculé ...

TheHyde

Oct 29, 2017
Spain will start adding more information on deaths in care houses on Fridays and Tuesdays it seems. And of course, Madrid somehow realized that they fuck it up big time (likely an additional 3.5k deaths):
elpais.com

Madrid atribuye al virus la muerte de 4.260 residentes en centros de ancianos y personas con discapacidad

La gran mayoría son víctimas no incluidas en el balance que da el Ministerio de Sanidad porque murieron sin diagnóstico

Reminder that care houses were fully under control of the regions and they didnt say anything about them until the mess was too big to hide. Fuck them all.

What the actual fuck!? Surely this will get exposure outside Spain as well - truly horrific...

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
elpais.com

Pretty sure that Aragon and Leon (?) were reporting those. Others were not because of bad methods or political issues. Madrid and Catalonia (200 deaths overnight) will probably show a massive spike after this.

I believe that the main issue is that deaths outside of hospitals are simply not counted. In some cases it may be due to the lack of resources, as testing those who are still alive is much more urgent. I don't know if it's feasible to keep biopsies for post-mortem analysis, but if so, everybody should be doing that.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
What the actual fuck!? Surely this will get exposure outside Spain as well - truly horrific...
Spain numbers are only of those confirmed coronavirus. The 3.5k are extra deaths that had symptoms that could be related to coronavirus but were not tested.

Pretty sure that Aragon and Leon (?) were reporting those. Others were not because of bad methods or political issues. Madrid and Catalonia (200 deaths overnight) will probably show a massive spike after this.
Pretty sure they are different. The 3.5k extra are from symptomatic but not tested deaths. Most of those deaths are actually accounted on the tally if they were tested (which I think in the current situation most are).

Still, really nice from For Profit care houses to not tell about the magnitude of their problem until it was just too big to hide it. And Madrid calling the daughter of the one that started the privatization of Madrid's healthcare system (which is also at fault of the bad numbers in Madrid) to fix the care houses situation up. Its almost like poetry.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the actual fck, CDC is considering to allow asymptomatic virus carriers to go back to work

www.khou.com

Coronavirus updates: CDC issues new guidance for essential workers

Here are the latest headlines on COVID-19 in Houston and nationally for April 8, 2020

First of all, how could one be certain if they're asymptomatic carrier without receiving an actual testing? Just because people close to them got the virus doesn't mean they have it. Also, how much we can trust these people to keep the mask on their face at all time? One slip here and there could contaminate the working/public place that they share with uninfected populations.

What the fuck, that's incredibly stupid. They might get an even bigger viral load and that's not good.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium has potentially reached the peak: the number of patients in the hospital has dropped with 324, meaning more people left the hospital than entered. 16 extra people on ICU though.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Spain numbers are only of those confirmed coronavirus. The 3.5k are extra deaths that had symptoms that could be related to coronavirus but were not tested.

Pretty sure they are different. The 3.5k extra are from symptomatic but not tested deaths. Most of those deaths are actually accounted on the tally if they were tested (which I think in the current situation most are).

Still, really nice from For Profit care houses to not tell about the magnitude of their problem until it was just too big to hide it. And Madrid calling the daughter of the one that started the privatization of Madrid's healthcare system (which is also at fault of the bad numbers in Madrid) to fix the care houses situation up. Its almost like poetry.
The worst part is that general accouting is just horrendous and all over the place as each region is reporting its numbers the way it pleases. Not just deaths, but ICU patients, too.

The lack of coordination is beyond belief. It's going to be extremely difficult to get the full picture of what's going on in Spain.

nikkop

Mar 20, 2019

Fucking moron.

He was just doing what the government asked him to do. It is a little too simple for Macron to play the good guy here, even though he refused for 3 years to recruit more people in hospitals and to stop closing them, sending the police to deal with protestors (as near my appartment where an hospital should be closed, with 2 others, to be replaced by a new one 20 km away with no public transportation to go there ).

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New numbers Netherlands:

20.529 confirmed cases (+969)
7735 hospitalizations (+308)
2248 deaths (+147)

These deaths don't represent a 24 hour period, but rather also include delayed confirmations of previous days. Also note that from now on, number of confirmed cases will most likely increase as testing capabilties are increasing (from ~4000 to eventually ~29000 daily).
The numbers keep rising steadily. Do you think the lockdown will be extended over the course of June?

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
elpais.com

Wtf. That's insane.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
The numbers keep rising steadily. Do you think the lockdown will be extended over the course of June?
Most of European counties will be out of lockdown by end of April, in May probably all of them will be out. if will work or not who knows but by June I imagine no country will be in lockdown on the world.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The worst part is that general accouting is just horrendous and all over the place as each region is reporting its numbers the way it pleases. Not just deaths, but ICU patients, too.

The lack of coordination is beyond belief. It's going to be extremely difficult to get the full picture of what's going on in Spain.

The main problem is some communities (which sadly are the ones hit the worst) really wanting to not get blamed and push it into the national government. Gotta love spanish politics (and here I though at the beginning of this crisis that only Vox would play politics on the crisis)!

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Once the dead start piling up it won't take long for the lockdowns to come back. Unless the country is doing extensive testing and similar measures, it will explode again and again, and barely anyone is doing that.

Plus, winter is coming for the southern hemisphere.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
The numbers keep rising steadily. Do you think the lockdown will be lifted in June or will it be extended?
The numbers keep rising steadily, but the number is actually quite stable. Exponential growth is pretty much gone and the number of new ICU patients is rising much slower than before (which many are hopeful means we'll stay below the maximum capacity of the ICU's).

It really looks like the measures we've taken are working and make things manageable, which means we should keep it up of course. I think the measures for June (big events that need licenses and such) will definitelty remain in place and the measures until April 28th (social distancing, no groups bigger than 3 etc.) will also remain for a long time.

However, if things continue to improve, I think we'll start seeing a movement to return to a new normal. Basically, measures will remain in place, but we'll start seeing bars and restaurants, theaters and such open with restrictions in regards to number of visitors, to ensure social distancing can be upkept. When that will be though, that remains to be seen.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'm still expecting a full lockdown to happen here in the Netherlands at one point simply because the warmer the weather the more idiots you see out on the streets without good reason.

Twenty Three

Oct 28, 2017
Most of European counties will be out of lockdown by end of April, in May probably all of them will be out. if will work or not who knows but by June I imagine no country will be in lockdown on the world.
I think thats optimistic, given Wuhan had 2-3 months of lockdown. It also neglects those late to the party especially African countries).

That also underestimates how screwed up the US is. Unless they get a serious and honest grip on things, I see the US being offline till late summer.

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The numbers keep rising steadily, but the number is actually quite stable. Exponential growth is pretty much gone and the number of new ICU patients is rising much slower than before (which many are hopeful means we'll stay below the maximum capacity of the ICU's).

It really looks like the measures we've taken are working and make things manageable, which means we should keep it up of course. I think the measures for June (big events that need licenses and such) will definitelty remain in place and the measures until April 28th (social distancing, no groups bigger than 3 etc.) will also remain for a long time.

However, if things continue to improve, I think we'll start seeing a movement to return to a new normal. Basically, measures will remain in place, but we'll start seeing bars and restaurants, theaters and such open with restrictions in regards to number of visitors, to ensure social distancing can be upkept. When that will be though, that remains to be seen.
The increase in most things seem to have significantly slowed down. I'd expect some change in measures but in what way is uncertain.
Alright, thanks for the input lads.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
I think thats optimistic, given Wuhan had 2-3 months of lockdown. It also neglects those late to the party especially African countries).

That also underestimates how screwed up the US is. Unless they get a serious and honest grip on things, I see the US being offline till late summer.
Yeah but I don't think countries will be so cautious. 6 countries are trying to go out of lockdown after Easter in Europe. Spain's president said April 26 Spain will be out. Let's be honest countries are desperate to restart economy even if that means more deaths.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any indication that this virus can change the way influenza does? Or are the scientists confident that the vaccines they're working on will get the situation under control when its ready?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Yeah but I don't think countries will be so cautious. 6 countries are trying to go out of lockdown after Easter in Europe. Spain's president said April 26 Spain will be out. Let's be honest countries are desperate to restart economy even if that means more deaths.

These countries ending their lock downs early will be a barometer for the rest of the world. If they open up and the numbers don't spike in 2-3 weeks most places will start easing restrictions. If they do spike most places will further extend their lockdowns.

Oct 25, 2017
Asymptomatic carriers in China are rising. These are people who mostly returned from overseas. So it's just an idea of how many people were infected through this asymptomatic spread in other countries.

Asymptomatic patients and imported infections have become China's chief concern.

Mainland China's new coronavirus cases doubled in 24 hours as the number of infected overseas travellers surged, and new asymptomatic infections more than quadrupled.

New confirmed cases rose to 62 on Tuesday from 32 a day earlier, the National Health Commission said, the highest since March 25. New imported infections accounted for 59 of the cases.

The number of new asymptomatic cases rose to 137 from 30 a day earlier, the health authority said on Wednesday, with incoming travellers accounting for 102 of the latest batch.

Chinese authorities do not count asymptomatic cases as part of its tally of confirmed coronavirus infections until patients show symptoms such as a fever or a cough.

As of Tuesday, 1,095 asymptomatic patients were under medical observation in China, with 358 of them travellers arriving from abroad.

tribune.com.pk

China's Wuhan lockdown ends, but another begins as local coronavirus cases rise | The Express Tribune

China maintains strict screening protocols, concerned about any resurgence in domestic transmissions

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Once the dead start piling up it won't take long for the lockdowns to come back. Unless the country is doing extensive testing and similar measures, it will explode again and again, and barely anyone is doing that.

Yep. If we cut the current approach too short, we'll inevitably come back to where we are and it will hit the economy even harder. Trump and other leaders fail to understand this. We HAVE to get this shit under control the first time.

Deleted member 14459

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SWEDEN
deaths: 687 (+91)
hospitalized:
ICU: 469 (+47)
cases: 7693 (+487)

DENMARK
deaths: 218 (+15)
hospitalized: 453 (-19)
ICU: 127 (+-0)
cases; 5386 (+408)

NORWAY
deaths: 83 (+7)
hospitalized: 250 (-31)
ICU 95 (-6)
cases 6033 (+168)

FINLAND
deaths: 40 (+6)
hospitalized: 239 (+8)
ICU: 82 (-1)
cases: 24878 (+179)

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
No but they obviously aren't an active case any more

Wow, so they are considering those with just 14 days of having been detected with the virus to be not contagious, WTF, hope you are ok, but all the signs point to Chile being in deep trouble if that's the case. Stay safe brother. :(

Seems that they misused the terms, since they literally speaked about considering deaths as part of "recovered" because it's part of the standard model, but it shouldn't be "recovered" as in healthy, but in retreated from the total number. They don't even know what they are saying, basically.

They announced that they will stop "estimating" actual recovered numbers due to the backlash it got that they aren't confirming if people are in good health, they were just taking it as a fact because 14 days had passed. It's a shitshow.

Wearing mask is now enforced in public transportation. If you don't wear *any* kind of face mask you expose yourself to up to 3.000 USD fines. Worth noting that a couple of days ago they said we should wear them, then said we shouldn't, now follows the CDC recommendation and says we should build our own, and as of today, it's enforced. I hope it helps though, it may help in the asymptomathic cases

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019

I think in some countries things will go bad. Other will be like it is now and others will improve. I don't believe lockdown will come back at least for work. I predict by end of May regular work will be back in all countries.

Deleted member 9932

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I agree with most of what Bosch been posting. Countries will try to move forward by the end of April, beginning of May, opening up slowly, especially after starting to assess how spread was the contamination in their communities (with the developing antibodies test), and with health services better prepared with more ventilators/ppe's. This is just the starting point, from there and with clear guidelines of social distancing, mask usage, hygiene habits, the next stop would be to test widely so we can isolate the sick. Go full sanatorium, like we handled tuberculosis. And in the next few weeks we will have more clear information about certain clinical trials going on. I think that's what several european countries are preparing. Hopefully it works but I'm never confident in anything that requires the collective trust of citizens.

Vennt

Oct 27, 2017
I think in some countries things will go bad. Other will be like it is now and others will improve. I don't believe lockdown will come back at least for work. I predict by end of May regular work will be back in all countries.

Not a chance. Not without mass testing and tracing, just not going to happen.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
SWEDEN
deaths: 687 (+91)
hospitalized:
ICU: 469 (+47)
cases: 7693 (+487)

DENMARK
deaths: 218 (+15)
hospitalized: 453 (-19)
ICU: 127 (+-0)
cases; 5386 (+408)

NORWAY
deaths: 83 (+7)
hospitalized: 250 (-31)
ICU 95 (-6)
cases 6033 (+168)

FINLAND
deaths: 40 (+6)
hospitalized: 239 (+8)
ICU: 82 (-1)
cases: 24878 (+179)
Sweden's numbers really seem strange when put next to it's nordic neighbours.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
It all depends on what is considered to be a lockdown. Spain's lockdown is much more intense than here in Germany for instance. Measures will be eased but there will still be "lockdown" measures in place.

Oct 27, 2017
I read that the White House's original estimate of 100-240k dying was because they thought only 50% of Americans would adhere to social distancing, but now think that projection will be lower because 90% is adhering. One expert who advised the White House on the possible death count even said 40-150k. So that's good right?

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know about you guys over there but here if bodies start dropping en masse people will straight up stop the country, we did it already for way dumber things in the past and we can and will do it again.

May is a pie in the sky eurocentric dream that forgets the world got the virus in different waves.

Last edited:

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden's numbers really seem strange when put next to it's nordic neighbours.

The increases in the number of deaths and ICU vs. the increase in the number of infections are not matching with the number of tests and the percentage of the positive results among the tests (54k total tests until yesterday - so around 14-15%) not only vs. their neighbours but also vs. many other countries. Like the most plausible explanation would be that they test the wrong people.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
What the actual fck, CDC is considering to allow asymptomatic virus carriers to go back to work

www.khou.com

Coronavirus updates: CDC issues new guidance for essential workers

Here are the latest headlines on COVID-19 in Houston and nationally for April 8, 2020

First of all, how could one be certain if they're asymptomatic carrier without receiving an actual testing? Just because people close to them got the virus doesn't mean they have it. Also, how much we can trust these people to keep the mask on their face at all time? One slip here and there could contaminate the working/public place that they share with uninfected populations.

That sounds fucking disastrous and I can't believe that's even being considered.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017

Not a chance. And actually no country so far has announced to end the lockdown by the end of April. Some are starting to relax some measures, but many measures still remain also during May.

Plus a huge part of US is still way behind on the spread timeline, UK is still growing and not all countries in Europe have slowed down.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The new right-wing narrative is that the models were too aggressive--duh! You want to overreact. Moreover, imagine if we didn't apply social distancing.

Another taking point is that they're counting people with pre-existing conditions as not really dying of COVID-19. It's vile stuff.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
What is regular work? Like all people that worked before will work the same way? Not possible. I can't see bars and clubs opening for instance. Retail with distancing sure. Shutdown of non-essential workplaces like in some countries like Spain and Italy will go for sure but we never had that nationwide in Germany.

BFIB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I read that the White House's original estimate of 100-240k dying was because they thought only 50% of Americans would adhere to social distancing, but now think that projection will be lower because 90% is adhering. One expert who advised the White House on the possible death count even said 40-150k. So that's good right?

Never trust a number the WH puts out. Likely they threw that number out there to spread fear to get people to listen on social distancing. Deaths come in lower, Trump treats it as his major victory for reelection.

Deleted member 6215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Where did you read this? How is social distancing adherence being measured? Maybe in specific areas like NYC you might get close to 90% (a big maybe), but in the majority of the country right now? Hell no.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Don't know about you guys over there but here if bodies start dropping en masse people will straight up stop the country, we did it already for way dumber things in the past and we can and will do it again.

May is a pie in the sky eurocentric dream that forgets the world got the virus in different waves.

America has a massive death cult. It's insane. They want to kill and be killed. They fantasize about it.

Source: American.