• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Man this shit sucks I feel like I'm about to have a nervous breakdown. They added a second shift at work to split us up more for social distancing (small factory). I've been working 6am to 3pm for many years, and now I work 3pm to 11pm and I feel like I'm going insane. I can never sleep at the right times, my body feels crazy, I feel like I'm perpetually tired and just like a zombie. It's only day 4 and I feel like I'm close to losing it, I'm gonna see how fast I can drink 20 beers when I get home lol.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Man this shit sucks I feel like I'm about to have a nervous breakdown. They added a second shift at work to split us up more for social distancing (small factory). I've been working 6am to 3pm for many years, and now I work 3pm to 11pm and I feel like I'm going insane. I can never sleep at the right times, my body feels crazy, I feel like I'm perpetually tired and just like a zombie. It's only day 4 and I feel like I'm close to losing it, I'm gonna see how fast I can drink 20 beers when I get home lol.
In retail, they do that to us every week. It has completely wrecked me :-(

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine having to switch my current work schedule I've had for like 7 years at this point. It would destroy me too. Hang in there. Weird times.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Swings are the worst. I would have rather worked graveyard.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

As a healthcare worker this happens every week essentially

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I can't imagine having to switch my current work schedule I've had for like 7 years at this point. It would destroy me too. Hang in there. Weird times.
It's bonkers. No matter what I do my body is tired at around 8-9pm when I would usually go to bed. You'd think I could stay up til 5am or so after work, and get up at 1pm, or go to bed right when I get home and get up at 8am, but I haven't been able to do either. Instead I go to bed at like 2:30am and get up at 10 am. So I have a couple hours, go to work, a couple hours after work, go to sleep. I cant get anything done.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I used to work in a 2PM-11PM schedule and now that I'm sitting at home doing nothing, it's kinda strange to adjust to that kind of schedule. Went to sleep at 10AM and woke up at 5:30PM. It's bonkers, but I'm glad I'm not doing any morning home office right now.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe now Nigeria's leaders can bother to build up the healthcare system:

www.bloomberg.com

Trapped by Coronavirus, Nigeria’s Elite Faces Squalid Hospitals

For decades, powerful Nigerians could ignore the government’s failure to invest adequately in the health-care system by seeking medical treatment abroad. The coronavirus pandemic means they can no longer escape.
Something similar is happening in Nuevo León, México. San Pedro is one of the wealthiest cities in Latin America, so whenever the rich folks decided they didn't like the rest of Mexico, they flew all over the world or drove to Texas to get groceries and whatnot.

Now things are different they can't escape Mexico anymore, so they're doing their own groceries and shopping, since the service workers (maid, driver, nanny, you name it) got sent home to avoid contagions.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Today looks like it'll be the worst yet in terms of deaths WW. The US alone looks like it'll cross 2000 per day today. Now we wait to see how high the peak is, the forecasts seem to be pointing to around 3500 lets hope it doesn't go any higher. The sad part is looking at Spain and Italy these numbers will likely be around for weeks if not longer.

Oct 27, 2017
Trump and his goons are trying to kill citizens of states that don't like him, and didn't vote for him. Republicans are silent, or clap like trained seals when their ambulatory colostomy bag president bellows about Democratic governors dropping the ball

www.latimes.com

Hospitals say feds are seizing masks and other coronavirus supplies without a word

As hospitals battle the coronavirus, they're baffled as the Trump administration seizes hard-to-stock medical supplies.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
The way Trump got all defensive over death count and testing numbers tells me that numbers are inaccurate af

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Trump and his goons are trying to kill citizens of states that don't like him, and didn't vote for him. Republicans are silent, or clap like trained seals when their ambulatory colostomy bag president bellows about Democratic governors dropping the ball

www.latimes.com

Hospitals say feds are seizing masks and other coronavirus supplies without a word

As hospitals battle the coronavirus, they're baffled as the Trump administration seizes hard-to-stock medical supplies.
Maybe you guys should redo that Civil War since no one will punish your openly genocidal chief executive

acruztic

Mar 10, 2020
Hello Era,

Kind of new here, I'm usually a lurker but I have a serious question. Are we (the U.S.) just letting people who are experiencing symptoms and can't be tested to fend for themselves pretty much? I Just called the Health Dept for my state to see if I can get a drive-through appt set up for my dad but they won't take him unless he's been in contact with a confirmed case, traveled outside of the states, or is a health care worker. If he does have the virus he can spread it to the family. To me, it just seems like we're sacrificing bodies because the supply and demand are too high. And here's my little rant/vent, I love this country, but I'm so aggravated and disappointed with it. It started with the country and the media downplaying the situation. The regular joe walking down the street downplaying it is whatever, but when someone who has a media presence or is in a position of power is downplaying it, then that becomes unacceptable. People like Trump and Dr.Drew did a whole 180 after seeing the reality of things and they will most likely never be held accountable. This is ridiculous. It makes me wonder how much this country spends on the military in comparison to medicine, scientific research, and education. I'm afraid if I start analyzing those numbers it'll aggravate me more. Venting over, had to let that out.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe you guys should redo that Civil War since no one will punish your openly genocidal chief executive

I take your point, but the world should be wary of a nuclear superpower melting down.

If I could get guarantees that our stockpiles of fuel and bombs would be under UN control, I would be the first guy on the beach waving the blue helmet ships ashore.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
Hello Era,

Kind of new here, I'm usually a lurker but I have a serious question. Are we (the U.S.) just letting people who are experiencing symptoms and can't be tested to fend for themselves pretty much? I Just called the Health Dept for my state to see if I can get a drive-through appt set up for my dad but they won't take him unless he's been in contact with a confirmed case, traveled outside of the states, or is a health care worker. If he does have the virus he can spread it to the family. To me, it just seems like we're sacrificing bodies because the supply and demand are too high. And here's my little rant/vent, I love this country, but I'm so aggravated and disappointed with it. It started with the country and the media downplaying the situation. The regular joe walking down the street downplaying it is whatever, but when someone who has a media presence or is in a position of power is downplaying it, then that becomes unacceptable. People like Trump and Dr.Drew did a whole 180 after seeing the reality of things and they will most likely never be held accountable. This is ridiculous. It makes me wonder how much this country spends on the military in comparison to medicine, scientific research, and education. I'm afraid if I start analyzing those numbers it'll aggravate me more. Venting over, had to let that out.
Same thing happened to me and my brother. It is virtually impossible to get tested unless you are I'll enough to need to see a doctor and even then it isn't a guarantee.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kind of new here, I'm usually a lurker but I have a serious question. Are we (the U.S.) just letting people who are experiencing symptoms and can't be tested to fend for themselves pretty much? I Just called the Health Dept for my state to see if I can get a drive-through appt set up for my dad but they won't take him unless he's been in contact with a confirmed case, traveled outside of the states, or is a health care worker. If he does have the virus he can spread it to the family. To me, it just seems like we're sacrificing bodies because the supply and demand are too high.
That is the case around here in Seattle, and from what I'm hearing from friends and family in other part of the US, this seem pretty much the norm.
Washington State is handling this better than most, but still, I have a couple of friends who got symptoms and ended up infecting their whole family. They are all fine, and they can't know for sure if that was COVID-19 because they couldn't get tested, but their doctors suspect that it was.

As for your rant, yeah, the response of the US government has been amazingly disappointed and a lot of people are going to die because of it.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Hello Era,

Have you considered just saying he came in contact with someone who had it, shouldn't be too hard to find out the details of someone in your area who has it

acruztic

Mar 10, 2020
Same thing happened to me and my brother. It is virtually impossible to get tested unless you are I'll enough to need to see a doctor and even then it isn't a guarantee.
I really hope that after this whole thing is over we get a sense of unity, and focus on what truly matters in life. Work on a better system that's able to handle something of this magnitude or even bigger. We were clearly unprepared for this. We basically need reform.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Whenever reporting cases by age, why is it broken down 0-4, 5-12, 13-18, 19-24, 25-49, 50-64, 65+? Won't this overrepresent 25-49 year olds?

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Hello Era,

It's like this all over the United States. Basically the president and his administration are just spewing lies about testing availability and have completely fucked up the situation. To cover their tracks they have completely redefined what government agencies are for like fema and have basically said it's up to states to fend for themselves

acruztic

Mar 10, 2020
Have you considered just saying he came in contact with someone who had it, shouldn't be too hard to find out the details of someone in your area who has it
I considered it but dam my integrity is too strong. I automatically have a guilty conscience and tell myself "what if there's someone who actually came in contact with a confirmed case and my dad took his spot"
Right now the only symptom he's not experiencing is shortness of breath and has stayed the same throughout the week. I would take him to the hospital but seems like a bad idea right now in NYS, kind of waiting out the next two weeks since it's supposed to be the deadliest.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
People forget flattening the curve is about moving the maximum new death per day out as many days into the future as possible, and epidemiologists focused on that for good reason. I can't stress this enough, the idea everyone has of a managed up and down roller coaster doesn't really make sense. That will not be how this plays out unless we have test and tracing, and if we did I'd assume we'd be able to keep it down for good.

It's extremely unfortunate IHME's model picked up so much steam because they appear to have made the crucial mistake of assuming there can be an early decline just by social distancing, because unless you can get near 100% social distancing for two weeks, all that can do is slow how fast it's doubling. This virus is clearly way too contagious to eliminate spread this way alone.

Maybe social distancing will make things double every 7 or 10 or 30 or 100 days instead of every 2 days, but it alone logically would still cause cases to exponentially increase forever until it gets an assist from test and trace or from herd immunity. Because we aren't test and tracing, and we're probably still far away from herd immunity, the idea that this week will be anything close to the peak is ridiculous.

My state says they're seeing social distancing, and I think that's relatively pretty good, but what that did according to their model is make us double every 10 days up to a peak in June until it can finally start declining. IHME on the other hand believes we're already past the peak and will be almost completely done with it by May and that just doesn't make sense given what we've done so far. Many other states are saying the same.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I really worry about my area. In Virginia the governor and health officials got ahead of it so things have been kept calm, I think filling people with a false sense of security. It's spreading from the north to the south and down here in "Hampton Roads" people are pretty cavalier - I barely ever see people in masks and lots of people gathering in groups. Especially in grocery stores. It's not contained. Please be careful. Wash your hands. Then wash them again.

Edit: if you heard the stories I did, from caregiver's mouths / fingers, about x-rays of people's lungs looking like glass that someone took a hammer to, you'd understand the urgency of this.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
Today looks like it'll be the worst yet in terms of deaths WW. The US alone looks like it'll cross 2000 per day today. Now we wait to see how high the peak is, the forecasts seem to be pointing to around 3500 lets hope it doesn't go any higher. The sad part is looking at Spain and Italy these numbers will likely be around for weeks if not longer.

I fear we will start to see Spain-like numbers in LatinAmerica and Eastern Europe in the next 2-3 weeks.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
What I don't understand is why places like Mexico are still showing comparatively low numbers. Mexico City should be a hotspot -- Mexico's president downplayed the virus long after Trump came around, Mexico City is highly populated, densely packed, and highly polluted, and they don't have the level of emergency medical care that the U.S. does. (not sure about their access to tests) Are they just a ticking time bomb and will ramp up in 1-2 weeks? Or is there some factor I'm missing?

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
This is true in a lot of countries. The true death count won't be known until after all this has died down and it'll be much higher. Truth be told though we'll never know the full number.
It will take a while but estimates will come out. People will analyze the typically daily death rate of cities/states etc and look at spikes that are not explained by directly diagnosed deaths. We've already seen snippets posted here and there from all over.

learning

Jan 4, 2019
What I don't understand is why places like Mexico are still showing comparatively low numbers. Mexico City should be a hotspot -- Mexico's president downplayed the virus long after Trump came around, Mexico City is highly populated, densely packed, and highly polluted, and they don't have the level of emergency medical care that the U.S. does. (not sure about their access to tests) Are they just a ticking time bomb and will ramp up in 1-2 weeks? Or is there some factor I'm missing?
A big part of this is not all countries are testing their populace at the same rate per capita or even the types of people being tested aren't the same

The data we have is incomplete and kind of shit for comparatives country to country. Pretty much every population is different and you can't compare them

Even within country or region it's hard to say how useful any of this data is except for ballpark numbers

Basically sampling mix is fucked on many levels so I wouldn't try comparing

My two cents

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I honestly have no recollection of that many people dying from H1N1.
Probably because it was out of 60 million infections and 13,000 deaths over a year. And the fact it was a form of flu - just something people are much more used to.

While this will hit 13,000 sometime today or tomorrow after less than 2 months.

Plus less social media. And a near depression going on already.

Bisha Monkey

Banned
Aug 12, 2018

Chile. Health Minister says that "recovered" people number, "according to international suggestion", includes all those that aren't "contagious" to other people, those that have passed day 14 since being notified as positive, and the dead

Wow, so they are considering those with just 14 days of having been detected with the virus to be not contagious, WTF, hope you are ok, but all the signs point to Chile being in deep trouble if that's the case. Stay safe brother. :(

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I fear we will start to see Spain-like numbers in LatinAmerica and Eastern Europe in the next 2-3 weeks.

I think places like India could end up becoming hot spots as well, if it gets big places like that I could see the numbers being huge.

It will take a while but estimates will come out. People will analyze the typically daily death rate of cities/states etc and look at spikes that are not explained by directly diagnosed deaths. We've already seen snippets posted here and there from all over.

Will we get that number from all countries? Some are actively attempting to hide their data and others I'm not sure if they will even get all that days (like 3rd world countries).

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Will we get that number from all countries? Some are actively attempting to hide their data and others I'm not sure if they will even get all that days (like 3rd world countries).
Absolutely. Just like estimates today for flu or past pandemics in history researchers will have to make certain assumptions to make educated guesses on worldwide losses, country and area specific losses. Unfortunately it will be educated guesses and it will take a while for people to sort through data and come up with assumptions on how much certain countries are underreporting etc

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
I should stay away from Twitter. Why is Candace Owens pushing so hard for this to be some conspiracy that every doctor in the world suddenly decided to stop counting heart attacks as heart attacks but as Covid deaths? People keep reposting her dumb ass like crazy.

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
Have you considered maybe it's 5G??? That's actually part of the root of that conspiracy theory when in fact the only nations with large scale testing are the richest.

Can't have high numbers if you don't test. And it's not necessarily out of malice... even rich countries are having issues with large scale testing.

If you want a preview look at what's happening in Ecuador (even though their officials numbers aren't high) : https://www.ft.com/content/5e970473-0710-44f6-bfae-2a830b78a3a1

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
So my store started counting customers today. Can't have more than 125 in the store at a time. I spent around 7 hours of my shift just pressing a button, taking count of every person who came in.

The very first person I counted said, "This is the biggest hoax ever perpetrated against mankind."

I replied, "Oh just shut the fuck up."

It felt good. Highlight of my day.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020

We got over 400 new cases just today. That's almost 20% of total cases before, in just one day.

Plus, poor testing. The current death rate is already at 5%, which suggest testing isn't being done enough. I would expect the death rate in Mexico to be close to double digits by the end of next week if the poor level of testing continues.

Oct 25, 2017
So do we know if there is a difference in the severity of the virus on you if you spent hours talking to 50 people with covid or just 1 minute with 1 person who has covid?

Both scenarios you contract the virus.