• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
So, the projections for my state are starting to look up.

For weeks now, the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) had been expecting my state of Virginia to reach its pandemic peak in mid-May, which has been later than the general average in the US. Well, their projections are now seeing the peak happen a month earlier, in mid-April. We'll still be seeing daily deaths like everyone else, sadly. =(

But, on the plus side, not only is it looking like we'll peak sooner than previously thought, but we may even end up seeing the daily death counter hit 0 by the first of June, which is also sooner than previously thought.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm here in Queens. Not in Elmhurst, the hardest hit neighborhood, but as I mentioned above, I live on the same block as a hospital.

For a week or so the worst thing was the sirens. Normally you hears tons of cars passing by, but since the roads have been so empty every single siren you hear cracks through the silence like a gunshot. I noticed them getting more and more frequent, but now I've been able to tune them out. Now the starkest reminder are all of the gloves and masks littering the ground, because New Yorkers are gonna New York. People have generally stopped picking up their dog poop, too. We're scared, but I think on the whole we're mostly sad. It's so drab and joyless out there, it genuinely feels like City 17.

It's really difficult working from home in a tiny apartment. We don't have upstairs and downstairs, or backyards. I have a bedroom, a living room, a bathroom and a kitchen. That's my whole world now. My fiancee is working from home as well, and since her job is more technical she's working at my computer desk while I've essentially been typing on a laptop in my bed for a month out of necessity. We have our windows wide open and are trying to get as much sun and fresh air as we can. I can't imagine what it's like trying to ride this out in a one-room studio apartment.

We can't really load up an SUV with a month's worth of groceries, since we don't have cars and live in small apartments, so we make more trips than we should to the store just out of necessity. The big supermarkets are frequently out of stock for essentials, but the bodega on the corner is bizarrely more well-stocked than ever. They even hooked me up with some surgical masks when the dude saw my home-made monstrosity I was wearing on my face. It's still scary every time you step in the store, though. The aisles are tiny and they're designed like mazes to fit into 100 year old buildings that were by no means designed to accommodate dairy aisles, and when at the very least 1/1000 people have the virus, it feels like you're always rolling the dice.

Most of the people I see on the streets and sidewalk are being compliant. There are still groups of teens hanging out not giving a fuck, but good luck ever getting an NYC teen to do anything you say. It's just not gonna happen. I see older assholes who should know better walking around without masks, but for the most part we are keeping our distance. I saw more masks today than yesterday.

NYC makes it easier to realize that most other people are just as scared as you are. In the suburbs, you probably don't see other people unless you're fighting them for toilet paper at Costco, and those that you do see are still probably not taking it as seriously as they are here. I still have to see ~5-6 people a day when I walk my dog. They're wearing masks. They're walking in the street. They give you a nod when you wait for them to pass by. They are scared people who are worried about their loved ones, themselves, and their livelihoods just like you.

There are signs in my apartment building lobby offering to help out neighbors in need. We've converted schools into places where anyone can get three meals a day, no questions asked. There's still a lot of problems right now. The prisons are rife with COVID and there are still communities defiantly holding gatherings. Joggers keep blasting down the sidewalks sweating and panting a trail of aerosolized droplets behind them. But we're turning the corner.

New Yorkers have a reputation for being assholes but the solidarity I've seen over the last month has genuinely moved me. I've never been more proud to live here and I can't wait to see how we bounce back.

This a good post, mostly see the same.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Sitting in the ER now. In a white tent. Moving from tent to tent.

This is the weirdest feeling I've ever had. It's surreal.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
twitter.com

Chicago Tribune on Twitter

“More than half of Chicago's confirmed coronavirus patients are African American, despite Black residents making up just 30% of the city's population, Mayor Lori Lightfoot says https://t.co/kST8dnvGFN”
giphy.gif

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
There's a call for strike by unions in France for food supply/supermarkets starting next wednesday.

The social distancing/stay at home was already hard to keep for some, this will bring chaos if people scramble tomorrow to get enough to eat.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, the projections for my state are starting to look up.

For weeks now, the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) had been expecting my state of Virginia to reach its pandemic peak in mid-May, which has been later than the general average in the US. Well, their projections are now seeing the peak happen a month earlier, in mid-April. We'll still be seeing daily deaths like everyone else, sadly. =(

But, on the plus side, not only is it looking like we'll peak sooner than previously thought, but we may even end up seeing the daily death counter hit 0 by the first of June, which is also sooner than previously thought.

That's a very cool site. Thanks.

I can't really tell how things are in my part of NY though since NYC blows all that data out of the water. Buts it's night to be able to check on other states like NC who seem to have a good handle on things.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no Boris Johnson

The odds don't seem in his favor at this point, hope he pulls through

Bad time for the UK to lose its leader

Even for someone relatively young like him, the survival rate after being admitted to the ICU is bad, right? Like, less than a coin flip?

Washington schools are done for the year (continue distant e-learning)

Fuuuuuucccckkk I thought we flattened the cure? I'll be so pissed if they reopen restaurants instead of schools.

Yay, distance learning is going to continue... Except they haven't even fucking started it yet and my kids are going to get less than an hour per day of it.

Halo

Banned
Dec 5, 2019
Hey, can someone create a CORONA-19 Virus tread towards the impact of Wold Leaders? Boris Johnson, Trump, etc. It would be very helpful to keep up with their progress or lack of. Thank you

Halo

Banned
Dec 5, 2019
Hey, can someone create a CORONA-19 Virus tread towards the impact of Wold Leaders? Boris Johnson, Trump, etc. It would be very helpful to keep up with their progress or lack of. Thank you. Such an excellent human being. Truly amazing person.
We all hope they make it but they might not.
Holding out for Trump as we (USA) loves him so much (lol).
Angela Merkel, and many others are now in the mix.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Even for someone relatively young like him, the survival rate after being admitted to the ICU is bad, right? Like, less than a coin flip?

Fuuuuuucccckkk I thought we flattened the cure? I'll be so pissed if they reopen restaurants instead of schools.

Yay, distance learning is going to continue... Except they haven't even fucking started it yet and my kids are going to get less than an hour per day of it.

We are flattening the curve, but as soon as we go back to the way things were, it's going to come back.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Take a lesson from Anthony Wiener--Check which account you're logged in to before replying to anything, or Donald Trump might become president. Replying to yourself, seriously? Well, a Bing user...

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017

Are your kids in Issaquah School district too?

fucking garbage 1 hour a day

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Holy hell. Please keep us updated. What symptoms are you showing?
A deep burning in the chest, coming and found for several days, but really feeling it today, compounded with just a nasty chest tightness. Strewn with what could be panic attacks or genuine shortness of breath.

Figured I didn't want to play around with chest pain.

They've been super efficient here at the hospital though.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There's no chance of schools re-opening this school year. That train left the station a long time ago.

Kids cannot social distance properly (well heck adults have major problems too). But watch two 6 or 7 year olds play, they'll touch their nose and then with the same hand touch another kids face within 5 seconds. Then that kid takes it home and infects the parents and siblings and away you go with another cluster of cases.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Are your kids in Issaquah School district too?

fucking garbage 1 hour a day
Haha, yep! So disappointed with the lack of effort so far. I hope everyone at ISD enjoys their hard-earned "spring break" next week after a busy month of doing nothing beyond sending out links to free online resources. :/

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
A deep burning in the chest, coming and found for several days, but really feeling it today, compounded with just a nasty chest tightness. Strewn with what could be panic attacks or genuine shortness of breath.

Figured I didn't want to play around with chest pain.

They've been super efficient here at the hospital though.

I had the same issue for a while (still have some slight chest tightness), but my Doctor and the testers wouldn't test me because I am not running a fever, or have some out-of-control cough. I just hope you are alright! Do you happen to have Asthma? I ask because allergies are insane this time of year (depending on where you are located).

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I decided today that I'm going to stop working and use all of my paid time off. I can't stand to half ass leading my kids through lessons while I try to work any longer. I might burn a lot of bridges at my job, but I don't care.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, yep! So disappointed with the lack of effort so far. I hope everyone at ISD enjoys their hard-earned "spring break" next week after a busy month of doing nothing beyond sending out links to free online resources. :/

so frustrating right? When we moved here we picked issaquah for the schools lol