• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
If only these projections weren't pretty much meaningless since they assume full social distancing, which is something not happening in the vast majority of states.

Yeah, that's what gives me pause. Some areas within states are doing better than others. *stares at the conservative Colorado counties AGAIN*

iyox

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's what gives me pause. Some areas within states are doing better than others. *stares at the conservative Colorado counties AGAIN*

This is definitely the "light at the end of the tunnel Trump was referring to". I guess the good news is we will know very soon if these are valid predictions.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of a strange post man.

Yeah, I know. I'm just really dreading the numbers we're gonna see in two weeks due to so many states (and individual people in other states) half-assing social distancing policies.
IHME projections got updated. Florida peak got updated from first week of May to mid April. Like the post below me

covid19.healthdata.org

IHME | COVID-19 Projections

Explore forecasts of COVID-19 cases, deaths, and hospital resource use.

I wish it could give me hope. But it assumes maximum social distancing, which even the best prepared states like WA and CA are NOT doing. Which means the numbers are gonna be bad in those states and FAR FAR worse in states that were late to lock down and still not doing a full enforcement of it.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
It's a fine thing to look at for a 'what could be' situation.
But when you have places like Florida leaving beaches and churches open with easter coming soon, that shelter in place order might as well not exist for the purpose of predicting how things will be.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
If only these projections weren't pretty much meaningless since they assume full social distancing, which is something not happening in the vast majority of states, and won't be happening as long as Trump remains in charge.

I think you are reading the results wrong, because of places like Alabama, which does not have a stay at home order is faring much worse compared to somewhere like Washington in the study/projections. They are taking into account the states and their actions.

Edit: and those numbers are the middle point of a range, which they explain In their FAQ and Notes section.

I've seen this team of scientists and researchers and their data constantly being torn down or dismissed. This isn't some amateur hour blog, it's kind of obnoxious to see.

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I think you are reading the results wrong, because of places like Alabama, which does not have a stay at home order is faring much worse compared to somewhere like Washington in the study/projections. They are taking into account the states and their actions.
it says right on the top
aZhGyIc.png

and the only way the numbers drop like that is if everyone is properly social distancing, which isn't remotely happening.

You can take these numbers as a best case scenerio, and if you want to believe that will be how it will be feel free.
but there is no logical reason to believe that these numbers are remotely accurate given what we have seen from other countries and the state a lot of these places are already in.

for example they are projecting only 6770 total deaths for Florida.

while it's over 15k for new york. and quite frankly given how Florida has handled this it's going to be much worse than New York.

the study is adjusted for when they started the order and where they were at when they started, but it assumes a 100% shelter at home following in general.

Edit: so I don't double post. sounds like Japan will be shutting down soon https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...o-declare-state-of-emergency-in-japan/.158325

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't trust that IHME thingy, it says full social distancing which is not happening , I'd say it is the best case scenario

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
it says right on the top
aZhGyIc.png

and the only way the numbers drop like that is if everyone is properly social distancing, which isn't remotely happening.

You can take these numbers as a best case scenerio, and if you want to believe that will be how it will be feel free.
but there is no logical reason to believe that these numbers are remotely accurate given what we have seen from other countries and the state a lot of these places are already in.

for example they are projecting only 6770 total deaths for Florida.

while it's over 15k for new york. and quite frankly given how Florida has handled this it's going to be much worse than New York.

the study is adjusted for when they started the order and where they were at when they started, but it assumes a 100% shelter at home following in general.

While I do believe things here in FL will get much worse, the fact that in Florida outside of maybe miami you don't have people living on top of each other by the millions in such small land areas, I just don't think it will get as bad as NY.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Holy smokes the curve for Ohio on the IHME website. Just about nonexistent. Says peak resource use will be in two days, and peak deaths in six days. All thanks to Governor DeWine taking this seriously from the jump.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
While I do believe things here in FL will get much worse, the fact that in Florida outside of maybe miami you don't have people living on top of each other by the millions in such small land areas, I just don't think it will get as bad as NY.
It's going to be the difference between people taking it seriously, and not taking it seriously.

You are right given the population density of areas like NYC NY should have been much worse than Florida.
But Florida is run by a moron making it even slower to improperly social distance let alone properly.
Easter is april 12th, with how things are currently being run in Florida the churches will be packed.
Combine that with already poor interactions for weeks, and the older demographic I'm fully expecting Florida to reach around 1k deaths per day in the second half of April unless something drastically changes. Which with Trump going back to how we need to open things back up... seems unlikely.

I'm really hoping I'm wrong, but I really don't see a reason to treat Florida as they are remotely sheltering in place for predictions.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Yeah, I know. I'm just really dreading the numbers we're gonna see in two weeks due to so many states (and individual people in other states) half-assing social distancing policies.

I wish it could give me hope. But it assumes maximum social distancing, which even the best prepared states like WA and CA are NOT doing. Which means the numbers are gonna be bad in those states and FAR FAR worse in states that were late to lock down and still not doing a full enforcement of it.
Lots of states, including WA and CA have done a lot better than their model predicted so far, which I guess should mean they're doing the social distancing thing where they need to. For whatever reason, most of the adjustments upward seem to just come from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Florida, Massachusetts, Indiana, Illinois, and Kentucky.

The data could be wrong, but if it's right then it's working so far for most of the country. Problem is the problem spots are getting hit really, really hard.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Holy smokes the curve for Ohio on the IHME website. Just about nonexistent. Says peak resource use will be in two days, and peak deaths in six days. All thanks to Governor DeWine taking this seriously from the jump.
Is there a Link? My county cases has been increasing with only 2 deaths so far.
Edit: never mind I just saw you mention the IHME

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The PA estimates were essentially cut in half in the new IHME update. I don't believe it. However, I am seeing less people out, starting to see masks since Wolf recommenced them at the end of the week, stores are definitely making changes with maximum occupancy and sanitizing chceckouts after each customer.

bgbball31

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, DeWine has been straight up amazing during this. With early closings and stay-at-home orders (especially the Arnold, though I'm not sure the hand he played in that), daily updates with Q&A covering a broad range of topics and worries, listening to his medical staff and having Acton part of the daily briefing, and directly opposing some of the things Trump has said, he's handling this perfectly so far. Granted, we are lucky because we don't have the major international hubs like New York, California, and Michigan, and our major world destination in Cedar Point was for the winter, but that doesn't take away how well he is handling the problem at hand.

Oct 25, 2017
Cool cool cool apparently being laid-off due to not being deemed an essential worker doesn't get me unemployment benefits after all.
totally cool, awesome, fantastic.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Being in rural areas aren't going to help at all once the disease becomes rampant. For example, one of the worst hit areas in Georgia is a rural community. The other problem is that being in low population dense areas give people a false sense of security so any outbreaks have a chance of being really bad. Couple that with the lack of ICUs in rural hospitals, and we will probably start seeing horrible numbers within the week.

kess

Oct 27, 2017

Edit: and those numbers are the middle point of a range, which they explain In their FAQ and Notes section.

I've seen this team of scientists and researchers and their data constantly being torn down or dismissed. This isn't some amateur hour blog, it's kind of obnoxious to see.

It would help if many newspapers and the executive weren't using it as the authoritative truth. In any case, the model seems to assume that the death rate will fall to near zero by June, which seems unrealistic.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
It would help if many newspapers and the executive weren't using it as the authoritative truth. In any case, the model seems to assume that the death rate will fall to near zero by June, which seems unrealistic.

once resources are freed up and treatments emerge in the summer I think it's reasonable to expect death rate to fall significantly

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
This might be temporary but the UW simulation says Washington state is past it's peak in deaths, and is predicting far fewer deaths than originally projected.

That will probably all change this week.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
How is the general US supply chain looking for good and essential items? Is there a threats of that being disrupted in a major way?

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
That's nuts bro. I feel like a lot of red state are gonna be looking like this in a few weeks.
My humanity has suffered these last four years of the insane conservatism of the GOP/Faux news death cult reflected by a lack of empathy for these morons. I have zero empathy for her and her family still trying to hide the truth but deleting mentions of covid in both GoFundMe and Facebook. Thankfully the original posts have been saved.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is the general US supply chain looking for good and essential items? Is there a threats of that being disrupted in a major way?
food will be fine. don't know about medical supplies in the short term but people are ramping up. I don't expect anything essential to be affected too much

issue is china and their slowdown in getting parts to US

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
the "corona is a democrat hoax" angle is bizarre because what is their excuse for the rest of the world?

Why am I trying to find logic in these people tho?

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's made it to my family. My uncle has tested positive and my aunt is presumed to be so as well. They're around 70, still at home after about a week of symptoms. They live near Seattle.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Sure wish I could get a bit more hand sanitizer for trips to go out and get food... They are back in stock on Amazon, but only allow sales to hospitals and government agencies. I really don't want to scrounge stores to find anything. Just rationing what I have, for now...

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
US gonna cross 10K deaths in a few hours

May 21, 2018
the "corona is a democrat hoax" angle is bizarre because what is their excuse for the rest of the world?

Why am I trying to find logic in these people tho?

Don't you know? The media controls everything! A handful of news corporations in which the most deadly implement of war in their possession is probably Murdoch's old man fart can cause entire governments of major, developed and powerful nations to unleash a deadly disease upon their own populace for.... reasons!!!

What reason? SSshshhh!!! They're listening!

*Crawls into a tinfoil bed with tinfoil blankets inside a tinfoil bedroom, wearing tinfoil jammies*

(PS: But seriously though, these people's obsession with the media is weirdly intriguing. Why media, and not some other industry?)

(PPS: The obvious reason is obviously because the media built a profession and industry on trying to question things and hold leaders accountable. What better scapegoat for a fascist leader than the group of people whose job is to question you?)

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
www.cnn.com

Surgeon General: This week will be like a 'Pearl Harbor' and '9/11' moment

The US surgeon general said this week is going to be the "hardest and the saddest" for "most Americans' lives," describing the upcoming grim period of the coronavirus pandemic in the United States as a "Pearl Harbor moment" and a "9/11 moment."

What's the deal with this guy? I've only seen him during these press conferences and a handful of tv interviews and he comes across as an utter tool. Defending Trump's lies, denying federal mismanagement of medical supplies, justifying the Republican governors' refusal of announcing shelter-in-place etc. etc.

He seems wholly unqualified for the position, at the very least when it comes to integrity.

Engell

Oct 28, 2017
What's the deal with this guy? I've only seen him during these press conferences and a handful of tv interviews and he comes across as an utter tool. Defending Trump's lies, denying federal mismanagement of medical supplies, justifying the Republican governors' refusal of announcing shelter-in-place etc. etc.

He seems wholly unqualified for the position, at the very least when it comes to integrity.

i think his name is Token, maybe last name Tool.