• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
NY Times has this on their main page right now...

"American officials depicted some parts of the United States as climbing toward the peaks of their crises, while warning that new hot spots were emerging in Pennsylvania, Colorado and Washington, D.C."

...but then doesn't' say where these "hot spots" are. Anyone here know what the PA is in reference to? I'm guessing maybe Philly as it's so close to NYC?

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017

"American officials depicted some parts of the United States as climbing toward the peaks of their crises, while warning that new hot spots were emerging in Pennsylvania, Colorado and Washington, D.C."

...but then doesn't' say where these "hot spots" are. Anyone here know what the PA is in reference to? I'm guessing maybe Philly as it's so close to NYC?

Not sure. I don't know where in Colorado they mean either unless they mean the whole state. Denver is not surprisingly the highest case load but I'm most worried about Weld County and Colorado Springs right now. Both didn't do anything until the governor's statewide order and have 22 deaths each (and counting) so far. They've both overtaken Denver in a matter of a few days as far as deaths are concerned.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Is there the chance that the virus could devolve into a more impotent strain as time goes on?

Not more impotent, but less deadly, more than likely. The goal of the virus is to multiply and have its family live jumping from individual to individual. Killing the host is not optimal, so a strain with a lesser prevalence of inflammatory escalation but longer asymptomatic stage is very likely. Less deaths, so the hosts live through to get reinfected the next "season", it's a better scenario for both us and the virus.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

The only data showing peaks is this one:

covid19.healthdata.org

IHME | COVID-19 Projections

Explore forecasts of COVID-19 cases, deaths, and hospital resource use.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

I had heard Taiwan was doing handling this well but I didn't realize it was this good. Meanwhile in America states still aren't on full lockdown, and even the ones that are still have a bunch of places open because they're "essential".

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I sent a text to my ex to see how they were doing and to see how my 9yr old son is.

She told me that my son had a nightmare last night that she had died and he would have to go to a new family.

He lives about 30 miles from where that earthquake hit last night in Southern California and he was scared at that.

I think a lot of people are forgetting, or not caring, about the impact this is going to have on kids, especially since kids really aren't going to understand.

Eeeyup -- on top of all this, my in-law's had her bladder removed for an extremely rare cancer and she hasn't seen her kids in maybe three weeks now. (The resettling-at-home process takes time and she had to go back at one point due to a urinary infection -- the latter happened just as the hospitals started going crazy, so it's been tough for everyone involved.)

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018

I had heard Taiwan was doing handling this well but I didn't realize it was this good. Meanwhile in America states still aren't on full lockdown, and even the ones that are still have a bunch of places open because they're "essential".

The logistics behind their efforts are nothing short of amazing. Damn.

Edit: "Another reason Taiwan acted so early: they didn't trust either the Chinese government or the head of the WHO, who in January praised the Chinese response."

LOL <3.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I am covid positive. Started showing symptoms on the 20th. Got tested on the 25th. Got results this past Wednesday that I was positive. My fiancé lives with me and is a nurse for the Red Cross . She was tested that same Wednesday and got results back as NEGATIVE. It's proof that being careful can protect people under same roof.

Only symptoms were cough and shortness of breath . I have asthma and it feels like a long asthma episode that lasts 2 weeks and counting. If you are not used to asthma complications then it may feel like you are suffocating during bad parts. It is NOT LIKE THE FLU.
Aw, man. :( Does albuterol help at all? Are you using a nebulizer at home or anything like that? I have moderate asthma and I've got a nebulizer with albuterol solution and an albuterol inhaler; just curious if they help you breathe at all. Hope you feel better soon!

kess

Oct 27, 2017

I'm guessing the Lehigh Valley and the Poconos. The latter is more hard put to it because they have comparatively few hospitals, a large population of people who work in NYC, and a lot of rural poverty.

We are going to see a lot of hot spots emerge over the next few months. People are treating the simulated peaks on the University of Washington site as aurhoritative.

Grip

Oct 26, 2017

The Philly area is accounting for the vast majority of cases in PA and the big increases we've been getting this week have largely been on the eastern part of the state. It's really hard to say what's going to happen with Pittsburgh, but we haven't been getting hit nearly as hard (roughly 500 cases out of over 10K in PA) and I feel like people are taking this serious around here. Every time I've had to go out people were keeping their distance and wearing gloves (I expect to see more face masks now) and we're also much less densely populated compared to Philly which is probably a big factor in how quickly this spreads. And for what it's worth, a lot of doctors and healthcare workers in the area have said that they haven't been seeing a drastic increase in activity since this started.

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile.... some dude was coughing and spitting on produce and the plumbers union took him to the floor. Marty the robot wants nothing to do with this shit.

These crazy people are bioterrorists.

Fucking insane. Yeah, anyone that does this shit deserves YEARS of prison time. What a complete piece of shit.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Fuck stupid people.

Wife is a pharmacist.
A mom comes in saying they need to pickup meds for their covid positive daughter. They tell them to gtfo. Then the mom comes back in the drive thru with the positive daughter in the car trying to hand papers over.

Also.
Inside they have big shield with little windows to talk around the counters. Some dude said he couldn't hear them so he puts his head on the counter and puts his mouth through to start shouting.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
Argentina: +98 infected (for a total of 1451) and +1 death (for a total of 43) today.
The government reacted with an impressive speed and we are containing the curve. Even the most ferocious opposition recognizes the relative effectiveness of the policies implemented.

That said, yesterday a crucial mistake was made. Banks opened all at the same time after some two weeks of strict nationwide lockdown (which is still in place at least until April 13th, by the way) and queues of thousands of retirees, who don´t use online banking and wanted to get some much needed money, were spotted along the country. A disaster in the making.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
By the end of today only EIGHT states will still have less confirmed cases than California did when all gatherings over 10 people were made illegal (with actual enforcement and penalties) in the state.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina: +98 infected (for a total of 1451) and +1 death (for a total of 43) today.
The government reacted with an impressive speed and we are containing the curve. Even the most ferocious opposition recognizes the relative effectiveness of the policies implemented.

That said, yesterday a crucial mistake was made. Banks opened all at the same time after some two weeks of strict nationwide lockdown (which is still in place at least until April 13th, by the way) and queues of thousands of retirees, who don´t use online banking and wanted to get some much needed money, were spotted along the country. A disaster in the making.

oh no, all that hard work

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Aw, man. :( Does albuterol help at all? Are you using a nebulizer at home or anything like that? I have moderate asthma and I've got a nebulizer with albuterol solution and an albuterol inhaler; just curious if they help you breathe at all. Hope you feel better soon!
Respiratory therapist here, if you are covid positive and self isolating at home with others that live in the home, use an inhaler. If you don't have one, try getting your doc to switch out the prescription asap. If you absolutely have to use a nebulizer, stick something in/on the end of the piece of corrugated tubing to cut down on the amount of aerosol that comes out of the end. The virus can stay suspended in the aerosol and live in the air for up to 3 hours. Hospitals are trying to only use inhalers for covid+ patients, and here's why

flamingo

Oct 27, 2017
COBOL is back, baby!

giphy.gif

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017

Taiwan did/is doing a great job but as I've said before, a lot of its success is due to politics. China banned all Chinese citizens from visiting Taiwan to pressure Taiwan's economy (which is heavily dependent on tourism) since last year - so anyone that had the possibility of carrying it back to Taiwan were just expats. Now compare to daily flights out of Wuhan to virtually everywhere else in the world before they locked it down mid Jan.

Mar 29, 2018
I am covid positive. Started showing symptoms on the 20th. Got tested on the 25th. Got results this past Wednesday that I was positive. My fiancé lives with me and is a nurse for the Red Cross . She was tested that same Wednesday and got results back as NEGATIVE. It's proof that being careful can protect people under same roof.

Only symptoms were cough and shortness of breath . I have asthma and it feels like a long asthma episode that lasts 2 weeks and counting. If you are not used to asthma complications then it may feel like you are suffocating during bad parts. It is NOT LIKE THE FLU.
... Tests also aren't that accurate though? Like 80% or something?

Either way, very glad your symptoms aren't too bad. I'm asthmatic too and fairly concerned

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
I have been taking alvesco and ventolin before I tested positive and I continue to take them now. They help with asthma so I'm sure they help me now with the asthma still. I bet it's worse if I'm not controlling the asthma at the same time.

I would go to the hospital for a ventilator if it felt worse and would not count on my inhalers.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Every day other states delayed literally cost lives...

Almost all of my relatives were PISSED at the time. They thought that Newsom was killing the state and country just to make Trump look bad.
Some of them are taking it seriously now. Some.
It was a brave move by the standards of this country and its culture.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
... Tests also aren't that accurate though? Like 80% or something?

Either way, very glad your symptoms aren't too bad. I'm asthmatic too and fairly concerned

I wouldn't say aren't bad. I was told by a doctor that they were using ventilators on people who could barely speak due to shortness of breath.

The shortness of breath I feel is like catching your breath after a 20 minutes jog, but the feeling lasts from several minutes to several hours. This is the best way I can describe the feeling in non asthma terms. In terms of asthma it feels less severe than an asthma attack, but still bad enough to need to use inhaler for prolong periods.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I know someone who does COBOL programming and makes a ton of money from it. Mostly finance software I think.
yeah tons of business system financial software still runs on mainframe systems (albeit emulated in most cases these days) but COBOL is great and designed to deal with these kinds of transactions, If you have COBOL skills you are super necessary. Fortran as well to as lesser degree with engineering/electrical based systems.

back when I was still a developer for the city I live in, I built the front and backend interfaces for their ebill website for utility billing and interfacing C# with Cobol was a fun experience.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking insane. Yeah, anyone that does this shit deserves YEARS of prison time. What a complete piece of shit.
Why is the answer to always lock people up for years at a time like that's going to do anything. Quarantine him, short jail sentence so he knows to take things seriously and take away the contaminated food.

Incarcerating stupid people isn't going to stop this antisocial behavior

Nov 13, 2017

I hope you feel back to 100% real soon!!

rhindle

Oct 27, 2017
covidtracking.com

California

Cases, testing, hospitalization, outcomes, long-term-care, and race and ethnicity data for California, plus data sources, notes, and grade.

It's worth noting that the big testing backlog in California is almost completely resolved, with no increase in positive cases.

Apparently the problem (according to LA's public health director) was that the biggest lab in the state was only reporting positive test results (and apparently sitting on the paperwork for negative tests).

So California has now run 60% as many tests as NY, with only around 10% the number of positives. We're doing OK, all things considered.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
covidtracking.com

California

Cases, testing, hospitalization, outcomes, long-term-care, and race and ethnicity data for California, plus data sources, notes, and grade.

It's worth noting that the big testing backlog in California is almost completely resolved, with no increase in positive cases.

Apparently the problem (according to LA's public health director) was that the biggest lab in the state was only reporting positive test results (and apparently sitting on the paperwork for negative tests).

So California has now run 60% as many tests as NY, with only around 10% the number of positives. We're doing OK, all things considered.

I've been saying it since this all started, but I really think that CA's spread out populace, car culture and general avoidance of public transportation really saved our asses this time, especially in SoCal.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
covidtracking.com

California

Ya that was a big relief today. Before that I think we were around a 30% positive rate.