• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
My son was really sad because he left a toy (stuffed crayon) at his pre-school and we can't get it back. He was so worried his toy would catch the Coronavirus and die.

I told him not to worry. Toys don't get sick and they can't die.

Then he hit me right in the feels last night. I was in the bathroom with him while he was going potty, and he said:
"you know what I what for, Daddy? I wish I was a toy. I wish you and mama were toys too. That would be nice, right?"

I laughed and asked him why.

"Because then we can't catch the Coronavirus and we won't die. I'd like that wish to come true."

It was about 3 weeks since his school closed and I forgot about that conversation. He's been holding onto that idea/hope/fear this whole time.

I just hugged him and told him It'll be ok. Then he asked me why I was starting to cry.

😔

Heartbreaking.

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
Bulletin for the
French situation:
68605 confirmed cases + 4267 in 24 H
In hospitals:
28143 hospitalized + 711 in 24 H
6838 in intensive care + 176 in 24 H
5532 dead + 441 in 24 H

In care homes:
21348 confirmed cases
2028 dead

for a total of 7560 deaths in France for Covid-19
covid0404cwk4f.png

hospital graphs:
covidcare_hosp0404r9k1q.png

increments (hospital)
covidtable040433jmo.png

note: we have report people are playing stupid once again this afternoon. School Easter holidays started, weather was sunny, temperatures raising to summer-like, and a lot of "fake exercise" (leaving the house multiple times in the day for an hour or more, to walk around in the sun along the parks with families etc) are reported.
It's probable the hard work will be completely obliterated in a week.

Well besides Hospitals and In care homes, the numbers of people dying at home (presumably not tested) is not in here and it might be high. In Seine St Denis (poor suburb near Paris) the numbers did skyrocket.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
My son was really sad because he left a toy (stuffed crayon) at his pre-school and we can't get it back. He was so worried his toy would catch the Coronavirus and die.

Then he hit me right in the feels last night. I was in the bathroom with him while he was going potty, and he said:
"you know what I what for, Daddy? I wish I was a toy. I wish you and mama were toys too. That would be nice, right?"

"Because then we can't catch the Coronavirus and we won't die. I'd like that wish to come true."

It was about 3 weeks since his school closed and I forgot about that conversation. He's been holding onto that idea/hope/fear this whole time.

I just hugged him and told him It'll be ok. Then he asked me why I was starting to cry.

😔
Wow, I'm so glad my son is too young to know wtf is going on. That's just too much.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
I'm so obnoxiously paranoid about my body with this stupid virus out. Wondering if I've got it or if it's just my allergies. I've had this really weird feeling in my throat for like three days now. The last couple days it was only at night but today I'm feeling it a lot sooner. My nose gets a tiny bit runny too. I don't have to cough but I do some sometimes on purpose just to temporarily relieve the feeling on the right side of my throat. It almost feels like a pressure. I don't have a fever or any body aches but I'm still kinda worried. Someone help!

This was me for like 8 days straight. Super dry throat but it would randomly flare up and feel like a giant lump would swell up and make me feel like I was choking. It usually got worse at night but it was constant dryness at least. No cough, no recorded fever but a couple of times at night I got the chills. I also had pressure and soreness in my chest. Was it allergies, which I have, or a mild version of this? Allergies typically don't make my throat dry and make me feel chest tightness but until theres an antibody test available or I get really sick during this, I don't know for sure what the hell that was.

Oct 27, 2017
That IHME model assumes full social distancing in the US, including air travel restrictions which no one is actually doing. So your peaks are going to happen later than the model suggests. In CT alone we expect three different peaks, one for each major population area, so this may happen in other states too. The model says it will be updated sometime today so we'll see how things are adjusted.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno

😔

I sent a text to my ex to see how they were doing and to see how my 9yr old son is.

She told me that my son had a nightmare last night that she had died and he would have to go to a new family.

He lives about 30 miles from where that earthquake hit last night in Southern California and he was scared at that.

I think a lot of people are forgetting, or not caring, about the impact this is going to have on kids, especially since kids really aren't going to understand.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bulletin for the
French situation:
68605 confirmed cases + 4267 in 24 H
In hospitals:
28143 hospitalized + 711 in 24 H
6838 in intensive care + 176 in 24 H
5532 dead + 441 in 24 H

In care homes:
21348 confirmed cases
2028 dead

for a total of 7560 deaths in France for Covid-19
covid0404cwk4f.png

hospital graphs:
covidcare_hosp0404r9k1q.png

increments (hospital)
covidtable040433jmo.png

note: we have report people are playing stupid once again this afternoon. School Easter holidays started, weather was sunny, temperatures raising to summer-like, and a lot of "fake exercise" (leaving the house multiple times in the day for an hour or more, to walk around in the sun along the parks with families etc) are reported.
It's probable the hard work will be completely obliterated in a week.
Holy shit i didn't know France was this much in trouble!!

Oct 26, 2017
Trump and republicans including Fox News and extreme fox OANN ensured that no model can accurately predict what is going to happen. You got people derailing trains trying to uncover the "hoax", so imagine how many people are out there not taking this seriously because they too think it is a hoax or "just the Flu".

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Trump and republicans including Fox News and extreme fox OANN ensured that no model can accurately predict what is going to happen. You got people derailing trains trying to uncover the "hoax", so imagine how many people are out there not taking this seriously because they too think it is a hoax or "just the Flu".
It is time to start showing those people the actual statistics. The flu kills about 40.000 people per year in Europe. A month since the start of the big outbreak in Europe, corona has killed 60.000.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
That IHME model assumes full social distancing in the US, including air travel restrictions which no one is actually doing. So your peaks are going to happen later than the model suggests. In CT alone we expect three different peaks, one for each major population area, so this may happen in other states too. The model says it will be updated sometime today so we'll see how things are adjusted.

It states limited air travel, so even if there aren't restrictions put in place, it's having an impact.

Do we know the peak times are not taking that into account?

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017

What's insane is this hoax/just-a-flu thing is getting louder and not softer as more data comes in. It's just hopeless.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Fuck Trump forever, and I'm sure the Obama administration would have handled it much better, but the swine flu pandemic was in 2009 and in 7 years the most the US government managed to do is to have a plan for a design for a machine that maybe address this issue.
Our government is broken and it goes beyond Trump.
Taiwan solved that problem in like two weeks.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
lol - its way higher than this for sure.
For sure. When people are like "holy smokes 10k more cases in the US!" Or whatever it doesn't make any sense to me. Like, it's obviously in the millions. The only way I could possibly get tested here is if I required hospitalization, or had symptoms and known contact with someone who tested positive. And both of those qualifiers still aren't guaranteed. There is EASILY 3-5 million cases in the US.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just found out one of my friends' mothers died a few days ago and they're having to cremate her with a maximum of 6 people in the building. So grim. Jesus.

Jan 31, 2018
It is time to start showing those people the actual statistics. The flu kills about 40.000 people per year in Europe. A month since the start of the big outbreak in Europe, corona has killed 60.000.

If you think facts will change the minds of republicans, then you don't know any republicans, particularly the magas. It's basically a cult at this point.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
For sure. When people are like "holy smokes 10k more cases in the US!" Or whatever it doesn't make any sense to me. Like, it's obviously in the millions. The only way I could possibly get tested here is if I required hospitalization, or had symptoms and known contact with someone who tested positive. And both of those qualifiers still aren't guaranteed. There is EASILY 3-5 million cases in the US.

My sister was in contact with someone who tested positive and both of us got sick. She's been waiting on her results for over a week now. They will won't test me because she hasn't tested positive yet even though I still feel like garbage.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
It states limited air travel, so even if there aren't restrictions put in place, it's having an impact.

Do we know the peak times are not taking that into account?
It's a mathematical model that is using faceless numbers.

The reason it assumes "full restrictions in place" is because that's what China, SK, Italy, et al., did, and those are the numbers that the model is using to predict the future.

There's ample reason to suspect that it is a wildly optimistic estimation of the course this epidemic will take.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I just looked at the numbers and France has over a thousand deaths today? Is this accurate? That seems like a large jump. And USA already has 900 and it's only mid-day. It looks like Italy and Spain may starting to be plateauing though.

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
Meanwhile.... some dude was coughing and spitting on produce and the plumbers union took him to the floor. Marty the robot wants nothing to do with this shit.

These crazy people are bioterrorists.

Oct 25, 2017
So the federal government is now sequestering gowns from my hospitals' suppliers putting all of us at grave risk. Where these gowns are going, nobody fucking knows.

I am so fucking angry right now.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
first time i heard race being a factor tbh

We know, in my city poor neighborhoods are having more cases. Usually people who can't telework or needs the money so they just can't stop working cleaning rich ppl houses, store clerks, uber eats workers and other low qualifier jobs are likely going to me infected than office workers.

So being poor (and thus race) is a factor

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Colorado coronavirus skeptic gains new perspective after being hospitalized with it

kdvr.com

Colorado coronavirus skeptic gains new perspective after being hospitalized with it

SOUTH FORK, Colo. (KDVR) — You’ve probably heard someone say it at this point: the coronavirus is being blown out of proportion by the media, especially because more people die from the…
Does he really expect other deniers will accept that coronavirus is real because he got infected and said his story? Only way is they, or their close ones, get infected. Otherwise, they will continue spewing bullshit.

Naru

May 11, 2019
So they are he is talking about opening up again soon? (in the US) Because... sports?!

Oct 26, 2017
What's insane is this hoax/just-a-flu thing is getting louder and not softer as more data comes in. It's just hopeless.

Thats because even when Trump and Fox and the rest of them do say the right things now these people take it as a nod and a wink. Not to mention Trump is still downplaying the severity of this and saying it will be over soon which affirms to those same people that it is not indeed so bad.

Oct 30, 2017
Been wearing a mask for weeks when going shopping. Intially I got looks and people hastily moving away from me (thanks btw :D) but now seeing more people wearing them here (Ireland).