• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
New York state is just mind boggling how fast it goes. I get that City is super densely populated, but the whole state is just slightly bigger population wise than the Netherlands, and they just shot past it with 3x the number of deaths in no time (Netherlands numbers are probably underreported by a factor 2 though). Really hope it's not a harbinger for things to come in the US. Stay safe NY era.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
New numbers from Denmark with the changes since yesterday:

-161 deaths (+22)
-4077 cases (+405)
-507 currently admitted to hospitals (-10)
-142 in intensive care (-1)
-112 requiring respirators (-4)
-1283 recoveries (+90)

Death count continues to be relatively high, but hospital admissions have been stagnant for some time now.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We only tested about 1200 going into today's numbers, so an average amount of tests for the past week with a larger increase in confirmed cases. It's getting worse.

There's absolutely no way it won't get worse for the next two weeks, however the other metrics are showing the extreme to which it is. So far the jumps are not nearly as extreme as the potential. It absolutely will get way worse, but I think it's a somewhat positive sign that we aren't seeing a huge surge of hospitalizations yet. Given the window of symptoms and the time we took measures, signs point toward us doing a fairly good job at holding down a unmanageable spike when compared to our resources.

Zerokku

Oct 25, 2017
New York state is just mind boggling how fast it goes. I get that City is super densely populated, but the whole state is just slightly bigger population wise than the Netherlands, and they just shot past it with 3x the number of deaths in no time (Netherlands numbers are probably underreported by a factor 2 though). Really hope it's not a harbinger for things to come in the US. Stay safe NY era.
New York is city is one of those that is just uniquely situated for this to be an absolute shitshow. Much of America will get *bad* but I think NYC will be an outlier for a single city, at least in the US. It does make my fucking terrified for Tokyo though. If this thing escalates there... its going to be a bloodbath.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
It's going down but far far too slow. Let's see if the stricter rules from this week will have an positive aspect.

Can you prodive inside on ICU numbers?
Yes, of course. I will report the (cumulative) number of people in ICU beds in the last week:
-April 4: 3994
-April 3: 4068
-April 2: 4053
-April 1: 4035
-March 31: 4023
-March 30: 3981
-March 29: 3906

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, of course. I will report the (cumulative) number of people in ICU beds in the last week:
-April 4: 3994
-April 3: 4068
-April 2: 4053
-April 1: 4035
-March 31: 4023
-March 30: 3981
-March 29: 3906
Number of ICU patients declined by 74.

Now THAT is good news! As long as the number of ICU is going down things will get better. Last Days we saw a decline in Cases, but ICU still went up so this is really good news.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
More comprehensive Minnesota update:

hbjtdr6fvtq41.png

Testing
Total approximate number of completed tests: 25,423 (up 1,196)

• Total approximate number of completed tests from the MDH Public Health Lab: 8,738
  • Total approximate number of completed tests from external laboratories: 16,685
Minnesota Case Information
  • Total positive: 865 (active 425)
    • Patients who no longer need to be isolated: 440
Deaths
  • Total deaths: 24 (up 2)
Hospitalization
  • Total cases requiring hospitalization: 180
    • Hospitalized as of today: 95 (up 9)
      • Hospitalized in ICU as of today: 42 (up 2)

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Now THAT is good news! As long as the number of ICU is going down things will get better. Last Days we saw a decline in Cases, but ICU still went up so this is really good news.
I really hope that in the upcoming week the increments of positive cases decrease again too. They have been between 4k and 5k for a full week, a quite long plateau. If that happens, it has positive effects on everything, from the ICU beds to the number od deaths.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
It already feels like an eternity waiting for Italy's numbers to start dropping for good. I think that's a good reference point for those countries where an upwards climb is still happening. Once they reach their own plateau, it could persist for weeks before things start to slow down.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

measures took too long and enforcement was too lax, still kinda is

also public transportation is the norm for everyone there, not to mention everyone lives on top of each other. Up to 10 people could share a tiny apartment

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I really hope that in the upcoming week the increments of positive cases decrease again too. They have been between 4k and 5k for a full week, a quite long plateau. If that happens, it has positive effects on everything, from the ICU beds to the number od deaths.

Yes i hope too, from what i can read scrimming newspaper at least in lombardia going out with a mask will be mandatory. This week doing sport and going for a walk was prohibited. Soll all of this should have a positive effect on te numbers.

On another note, i've seen in here that they did only about 2500 Tests a day in the beginning of march. This is scarily low considering they manage to do up to 40K Tests a day now. This low numbers could also be a reason for the horrendous situation.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Yes i hope too, from what i can read scrimming newspaper at least in lombardia going out with a mask will be mandatory. This week doing sport and going for a walk was prohibited. Soll all of this should have a positive effect on te numbers.
Yes, from tomorrow in lombardia everyone who goes outside must wear a mask. I hope the other regions (starting from the most hit ones) will follow this example, since many people still go to the groceries without a mask.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Well, at least the west is finally catching up with the wear-a-fucking-mask thing that's been part of Asian culture for a while now. Good news.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Btw, who started that trend against wearing masks? I always ignored that nonsense, so I'm quite curious of who it was... Was it the WHO? The CDC?

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Btw, who started that trend against wearing masks? I always ignored that nonsense, so I'm quite curious of who it was... Was it the WHO? The CDC?
Well since this virus is not airborne, if you keep a safe distance from people you should be fine. Of course some people can't keep a safe distance, like when using public transport.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, at least the west is finally catching up with the wear-a-fucking-mask thing that's been part of Asian culture for a while now. Good news.
I would hope the next step is to try to do more than nothing to make them available to the general public.
Homemade masks are better than nothing, but they're not as good as actual masks.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
www.fox35orlando.com

Florida coronavirus cases top 10,000; death toll rises to 170

Orange County now has 602 cases in the state.

Over 10k cases in Florida and 589 in Orange County.

Testing sites are only limited to 250 people and closes just hours if not minutes after opening. What's worse is they only provide test to people who only shows symptoms after removing the restricting to only test the elderly.
Florida's in for an absolute shitstorm. They're going to see the results of their unrestricted spring break very soon.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I'm wondering how long we can stay at home. With May not that far I think it will be very hard to enforce lockdowns. And if we just go from winter to winter expect a lot of depression and economic meltdown.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering how long we can stay at home. With May not that far I think it will be very hard to enforce lockdowns. And if we just go from winter to winter expect a lot of depression and economic meltdown.
The global economy isn't going to shut down for an entire year. I might sound overly optimistic but there is a huge amount of money for companies to make on a legitimate treatment for Covid 19. A vaccine is far away but the real solution is to mitigate the symptoms with something.

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
Decent numbers coming out of Australia lately with the rate of infection dropping over the week.

However, Australia is different to other countries as it has been focusing heavily on tracking down travelers with the virus so it doesn't circulate among the general population.

To date that's worked out pretty well but unknown community transitions are ticking up, which is concerning.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
The ICU numbers is the most important stat since in the west we generally don't do massive tests like in South Korea or Hong Kong. But the ICU number is the easiest to properly follow and if it goes down it means that the contagion is seriously slowing down. So, yeah, VERY VERY good news from Italy.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
New York is city is one of those that is just uniquely situated for this to be an absolute shitshow. Much of America will get *bad* but I think NYC will be an outlier for a single city, at least in the US. It does make my fucking terrified for Tokyo though. If this thing escalates there... its going to be a bloodbath.
We are worried about cities like Tokyo and New York, but it will be an allout disaster if really hits cities like Lagos, Kinshasa, Mumbai, Dhaka, ... Cities with their population, but a healthcare system that is not up to the same level.
(Funny, I never realized there are 5 Belgian cities in the list of 50 most densely populated towns in the world. Of course, they are all quite low in actual population.)

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The global economy isn't going to shut down for an entire year. I might sound overly optimistic but there is a huge amount of money for companies to make on a legitimate treatment for Covid 19. A vaccine is far away but the real solution is to mitigate the symptoms with something.

Even a realistic development of a treatment is years away unless you are talking about the trials of the already developed drugs. There is no miracle drug coming in the next year so I wish people wouldnt get their hopes up

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To stay in line with the government dispositions here in Italy, my company is staying closed until the 13th, just got official confirmation today. Hard to imagine things going back to normal on the 14th however.

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure the financial incentive to create a treatment is all that strong. Giant companies are all hesitant to invest money in something like this. If some other company beats them to the punch or if a vaccine comes out before they can ship enough to get a return on their investment, they would be holding the bag.

I am not optimistic that giant drug corps are going to do the right thing here. It seems much more likely they will just half ass it.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Today in Turkey

19.664 tests (161K total)
3.013 positive (23K total)
76 deaths (501 total)
302 recoveries (786 total)
1.311 in intensive care
909 intubated