• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I'm getting serious cabin fever. Anyone else?

Every day is the same:
1. Wake up
2. Coffee
3. Exercise bike while watching Amazon/Hulu/Netflix
4. Restroom, shower
5. Check email. Logon to work, even on weekends to remain on standby (healthcare IT)
6. After work study for next cert out on balcony
~7. Work in meals when I feel like eating; my appetite has plummeted
~8. Clean, even when things are already cleaned because I am going mad
9. Sleep

I have like 5 hobbies I can do just at home, with three kids and a wife I still don't get to enjoy many of them, even stuck in the house, LOL.

I wish I could get like one or two hours to do something I want to do. 😆

TJG662

Oct 25, 2017
California
On some good news it looks Ike California is doing a good job and fighting the virus. We are starting to see some supplies come in we have been doing a ok job and lockdown and the state seems to be doing a good job at adjusting to ever changing situations. They are turning the old sacramento kings stadium into a make shit hospital that will help take pressure off the health care system. I only had a few pts today at the clinic for the virus today.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
On some good news it looks Ike California is doing a good job and fighting the virus. We are starting to see some supplies come in we have been doing a ok job and lockdown and the state seems to be doing a good job at adjusting to ever changing situations. They are turning the old sacramento kings stadium into a make shit hospital that will help take pressure off the health care system. I only had a few pts today at the clinic for the virus today.

Arco's still standing, I figured they would have taken it down after the Kings moved to their new arena.

Anyways, update on the South Dakota numbers, it's now up to 187 cases, with two deaths.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

My county's infection rate is below the national average. California seems to be handling it about as well as it could be right now.

Feel like there's still too many workers deemed essential though that should be sent home with sick pay.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Its amazing what a difference entering lockdown just a couple days before anyone else has done. These few hours probably saved lives...

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
someone at my dads job(steel factory) has corona virus. they shut down the whole place and are deep cleaning it.
its the first case around me so far that i know of (cicero, il)

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So my wife came home crying on Thursday.

She is a nighttime manager of a specialty ICU. So they are trained and use all of the special equipment. They still have regular emergency patients, but they aren't full like usual cause of no elective surgery.

So that means she has to float people to other jobs. She had two spots to float to per her work's orders and one was a clean floor and one covid. They want her crew since they already know how to work the equipment.

They keep a running log of who's floated when so it's basically whoever hasn't floated the longest goes and so forth. So she sends that person to the bad floor and the next up got the good floor.

It's like an impossible choice though. She's like how can I willing send someone to deal with this when she knows hospitals across the US aren't equipped for this. She asks her boss who just tells her hurry up and send someone. The person who got sent to take care of covid patients said 'fuck you mother fuck you.'

It's just a disaster and where I live it's just getting started.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Issues a stay-at-home order but then forces the beaches open.

What in the actual fuck? (I've said this a lot every day the past few weeks)
After packing those churches on Easter you have to go to the beach afterward to wash away any remaining sin you have obviously.

This is the worlds biggest, saddest, slowest, train wreck ever. So many people will suffer because of this stupidity.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
So my wife came home crying on Thursday.

She is a nighttime manager of a specialty ICU. So they are trained and use all of the special equipment. They still have regular emergency patients, but they aren't full like usual cause of no elective surgery.

So that means she has to float people to other jobs. She had two spots to float to per her work's orders and one was a clean floor and one covid. They want her crew since they already know how to work the equipment.

They keep a running log of who's floated when so it's basically whoever hasn't floated the longest goes and so forth. So she sends that person to the bad floor and the next up got the good floor.

It's like an impossible choice though. She's like how can I willing send someone to deal with this when she knows hospitals across the US aren't equipped for this. She asks her boss who just tells her hurry up and send someone. The person who got sent to take care of covid patients said 'fuck you mother fuck you.'

It's just a disaster and where I live it's just getting started.

One of the hidden tolls of this is going to be the mental health of healthcare workers across the world.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017

Don't know if this was posted but there's a lot of missed numbers in what we're seeing.

The 25-county region surrounding Houston had reported fewer than 950 confirmed coronavirus cases among its 9.3 million residents as of Monday. But on that same day, there were 996 people hospitalized in the region with confirmed or suspected cases of COVID-19, according to the advisory council count. That figure is not cumulative and does not include patients with COVID-19 who were hospitalized and released before Monday.

What the fuck Texas. Get your shit in order

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Seems like the next order from DeWine is to limit the amount of people in grocery stores at once. A local company has offered the service they made that Disney uses to know when the park is at capacity to stores in the area.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni

Don't know if this was posted but there's a lot of missed numbers in what we're seeing.

The people in the city are so fucking stupid and on top of that, the officials and the people who are suppose to be maintaining order during this pandemic are incompetent.

So no surprise.

The talk about the peak in May for Houston is gonna show just how grim and unprepared H-town is.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
can your immune system be compromised after experiencing harsh physical pain? Weird question but I really messed up my back doing deadlifts in my backyard. Bad enough to the point where I was basically crawling back into my house because it was the most comfortable position.

Next thing I know I wake up with a cold sore the next morning. Just curious if this actual pain put my nervous system into this.

I hope I didn't get somehow sick from ordering food 2 times lol.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Anyone know how accurate this site has been with its projections?
covid19.healthdata.org

IHME | COVID-19 Projections

Explore forecasts of COVID-19 cases, deaths, and hospital resource use.

I'm no epidemiologist, but if I understand what I'm reading in that 100,000-200,000 death model is it's based on the assumption that mid April is based on the time it took to go from lockdown to maximum death per day in Wuhan, and fitting the rate of death and time of lockdowns we've seen.

What scares me is I'm really not sure we have a Wuhan style lockdown in any state, and it's a fact that lots of states still have no official lockdown order at all. Now that we're a week out from a lot of lockdowns, is there any good indication that the rate of increase is slowing because of these lockdowns yet?

I can clearly see an immediate drop in new cases as people decide to stay home instead of getting tested or are denied a test from a test shortage, but I was hoping for more than that.

Last edited:

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
my child just asked me when he will go back to school, did not have the heart to tell him not until they have a vaccine or a cure

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
Has any country succeded in flattening the curve?
Vietnam is doing relatively well. They were under 50 until 6-7 planes of tourists came and a bunch of them turned out to have Coronavirus. One British couple, for example, ended up directly infecting something like 16 other people.

Now, the country as a whole is at around 270 cases and a full, national lockdown has been in place since Wednesday.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my child just asked me when he will go back to school, did not have the heart to tell him not until they have a vaccine or a cure

That probably wont be until 2021. You think school wont start up in September? There's the possibility of a second wave around then too. My daughter is supposed to start all day kindergarten in the fall.

I dont know how we're supposed to replace that at home, though I suppose homeschooling at that level has to be less rigorous than any older age. Still, things will be nuts if we're still in lockdown by the start of the next school year.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
That probably wont be until 2021. You think school wont start up in September? There's the possibility of a second wave around then too. My daughter is supposed to start all day kindergarten in the fall.

I dont know how we're supposed to replace that at home, though I suppose homeschooling at that level has to be less rigorous than any older age. Still, things will be nuts if we're still in lockdown by the start of the next school year.

I think it would depend on how lockdown the area is, if there are no new cases for a few weeks then we reach a stage of contact tracing which is good

social distancing is going to be impossible in schools

Oct 25, 2017
can your immune system be compromised after experiencing harsh physical pain? Weird question but I really messed up my back doing deadlifts in my backyard. Bad enough to the point where I was basically crawling back into my house because it was the most comfortable position.

Next thing I know I wake up with a cold sore the next morning. Just curious if this actual pain put my nervous system into this.

I hope I didn't get somehow sick from ordering food 2 times lol.

If I had to guess, the acute pain you experienced caused elevated serum cortisol levels which can be immunosupressive. I wouldn't however worry too much about it within the context of COVID-19 susceptibility.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017

Pretty sure some people believe we will be living the Death Stranding lifestyle permanently.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Border patrol will be huge in the new few months, state to state border x airline border patrol, if you fly to a state you'll be immediately tested before leaving or placed in a 2 week quarantine before being allowed in.
All it takes is just 1 person and an entire new wave breaks out.

naturally I feel like so many people will bolt this summer so get ready for round 2 in different countries/ states

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it would depend on how lockdown the area is, if there are no new cases for a few weeks then we reach a stage of contact tracing which is good

social distancing is going to be impossible in schools

I'm in Washington which is way ahead of things as far as reducing the impact. Current projections look like things are pretty much leveled off by June. But how do you prevent people from elsewhere coming in and starting the infection cycle all over again?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Border patrol will be huge in the new few months, state to state border x airline border patrol, if you fly to a state you'll be immediately tested before leaving or placed in a 2 week quarantine before being allowed in.
All it takes is just 1 person and an entire new wave breaks out.

naturally I feel like so many people will bolt this summer so get ready for round 2 in different countries/ states
I don't think the border patrol can operate outside the 100 miles border zone. Now it's true, that 100 miles zone is just something the government started doing and the courts said "cool, the 4th amendment is whatever anyway", so I guess they can expand it further, but I were to guess, I would imagine truly inland checkpoints if implamanted will be handled by state troopers and/or the national guard.
I would sure hope so because border patrol are fucking awful.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck Texas. Get your shit in order
It's not unique to Texas (or to the US, really).

As of yesterday, CA has 2,188 hospitalized cases. But it also has another 3,417 suspected cases. (That's 5,605 COVID-19 patients, but the official number is still just 2,188.)

There is no state that has sufficient testing capacity right now. And if they don't test you (or can't get the results), they don't count you (not even if you die). And there was a note yesterday that the best estimate for accuracy in current testing in the US is just 73% (meaning if you're positive you still have a 1-in-4 chance of testing negative).

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Washington which is way ahead of things as far as reducing the impact. Current projections look like things are pretty much leveled off by June. But how do you prevent people from elsewhere coming in and starting the infection cycle all over again?

you do not let anyone in without very strict screening

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You put state troopers/national guard at the borders and test anyone that wants to come in. Same with the airports.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You put state troopers/national guard at the borders and test anyone that wants to come in. Same with the airports.

What does that actually look like with interstate highways? Traffic rolls through those things all day long. I live about 40 miles from the Idaho border. Tons of people commute to my city in Washington for work. All of a sudden it's a six hour wait to get into Washington?