• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ceek

Oct 29, 2017
Can someone share an article/statement where it specifies that the changes to WI's April 7th election would also extend to November's? What I'm reading says the change only applies to the spring election.

Juturna

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love how I'm seeing other states cancel going back to school for the rest of the year meanwhile the district my mom works for wants to get staff back into the building may 1st and just keep students home. How fucking dumb. This is NY, in the metro area.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone share an article/statement where it specifies that the changes to WI's April 7th election would also extend to November's? What I'm reading says the change only applies to the spring election.
It's only the spring election, nothing about the district court ruling, or the special session Evers is calling, has anything to do with the general election.

Text of the decision is here if you want to read it yourself: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6824298-Conley-Order.html

Oct 27, 2017
Lamont of CT now describing resource needs in terms of multiple peaks inside the state, one per major population region. In fairfield county (where I am), peak is projected around April 25. For New Haven (40 minutes away by car), peak is projected around May 7. For Hartford (a little over an hour away), peak is projected around May 20.

Nov 13, 2017
Question about asymptomatic carriers:

Can someone clarify this for me? Are there people who get the virus, experience zero symptoms or illness, and recover from it without even knowing it even happened at all?

Or, are they just asymptotic for a while, but eventually everyone that gets it gets ill to some extent?

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to go nowhere, last time he called a special session was for gun control measures and the GOP-controlled legislature gaveled in and out in less than 2 minutes. That is what is going to happen here as well.
They haven't even done legislation for getting rid of the 1-week wave period for Unemployment. I truly don't know how these people keep getting voted back in. Useless.

Ceek

Oct 29, 2017

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

Can someone clarify this for me? Are there people who get the virus, experience zero symptoms or illness, and recover from it without even knowing it even happened at all?

Or, are they just asymptotic for a while, but eventually everyone that gets it gets ill to some extent?

I'm fairly sure you can have it without recognizing it. I.e. such a minor cough or sniffles you think it's allergies.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Polis just called for all Coloradoans to wear face coverings when in public. Not mandatory, but very strongly encouraged and will likely become mandatory if nobody does it.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like our 4th of July celebration just got cancelled here in St Louis. I think people need to understand how long this is going to take before things get back to normal

Min

Oct 25, 2017

Both, apparently the mayor of Miami tested positive (and has now tested negative) and had almost no symptoms.

Grip

Oct 26, 2017

Symptoms run the entire spectrum from none at all/mild cold to severe illness/death.

Nov 13, 2017
I'm fairly sure you can have it without recognizing it. I.e. such a minor cough or sniffles you think it's allergies.
Both, apparently the mayor of Miami tested positive (and has now tested negative) and had almost no symptoms.
Symptoms run the entire spectrum from none at all/mild cold to severe illness/death.
Thanks! Here's hoping that all of us have already had it, successfully recovered without even knowing it, and will now be safe!

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm almost positive I've had it and had little to no symptoms.

I had a very minor cough (could still ski and go on runs)

But a friend of mine that was on a ski trip with me got an official test and tested positive. We were in very close proximity all the time.

I think it was something like 80% of cases had no to minor symptoms. Stuff you wouldnt even call out of work for.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017

But a friend of mine that was on a ski trip with me got an official test and tested positive. We were in very close proximity all the time.

I think it was something like 80% of cases had no to minor symptoms. Stuff you wouldnt even call out of work for.
I believe it's mild to moderate symptoms. You can still feel like shit but not have a need to be hospitalized.

Nov 13, 2017

Hm. I had a really bad dry cough at the start of the year, and my roomie got it too. I live in NYC, but I feel like it would have been a bigger spread if we got it that early. I hope those antibody tests become more available in the weeks to come. Wishful thinking on my part, but man that would be a relief.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I believe it's around 50% of carriers show little to no symptoms.

Grip

Oct 26, 2017

The 80% number is for people that don't need hospitalization. There are still a lot of people getting very sick but aren't severe enough to go the ER.

Grip

Oct 26, 2017
I am really interested in seeing what the numbers are going to look like when we get antibody tests that can detect if you've had it or not. Of course that won't be happening until this is more under control (at least not for the general public).

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I love how I'm seeing other states cancel going back to school for the rest of the year meanwhile the district my mom works for wants to get staff back into the building may 1st and just keep students home. How fucking dumb. This is NY, in the metro area.

My wife works in a school as well for children with disabilities and they had her go back in today for the first time in many weeks.

Long Island, NY.

Jan 31, 2018
The briefing has now moved to questions from journalists.

The first question asked if there is anything in the diet, lifestyle or drug protocol that Americans or Europeans use that make this virus more severe

Dr Michael J Ryan, executive director of the WHO's health emergencies programme, said the evidence so far would indicate that antihypertensive drugs that many people are on does not have any impact on the severity of the disease.

The difference in mortality rates between countries could be down to the age profile of the country, some have a higher population of older populations, and the presence of underlying conditions.
Ryan said WHO has repeatedly warned that young people are also at risk from this virus.

He said even in South Korea, which has managed to control the disease, one in six deaths have been of people under 60. In Italy, over the last six weeks, at least 10-15% of people in intensive care have been under 50, Ryan explained.

Ryan said:

It's not that anything has changed. It's that we collectively have been living in a world where we've tried to convince ourselves that this disease is mild in the young people and it's more severe in older people and that's where the problem is.
I think the evidence has been there all along that there is a spectrum of severity and its definitely more severe in older age groups, but there is a spectrum of severity in younger people as well.
www.theguardian.com

Falklands confirms first case of coronavirus – as it happened

President appears to undermine guidance; infection rate slows in Italy; Spain records first drop in daily death toll in four days

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
Just a little story from suburban Utah but a lady in my neighborhood is semi famous locally singer songwriter and she posted on facebook that she was doing a free concert at 2pm. It was heartwarming to see the neighbors outside on a nice day listening to beautiful music. really lifted me and the families spirits.

Humanity is so amazing and horrible all at the same time.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What's happening with Australia?

The number of new cases have basically peaked at 250/day and have remains there...

Is this a testing issue, or did they lock things down a while ago? Could the warm climate play a factor in limiting the spread?

Jan 31, 2018
While older people are more likely to die if they contract coronavirus, evidence continues to show that younger people are also being severely impacted.

Dr David Hepburn, ICU consultant at Newport's Royal Gwent hospital in south Wales, has said all the patients there are under-50.

Speaking to Channel 4 News, he said:

The pattern of illness that we've seen in Gwent, and I can't speak for anywhere else, is much younger patients than we were expecting. When the reports started coming out of Wuhan, we were led to believe that this was something that was particularly dangerous for the more elderly patients but I would say all the patients we've got an intensive care are in their 50s or younger at the moment.
Our youngest patient is in her early 20s. And there are, you know, there are patients who are very well, you know, a chap who's a fitness professional but you know there are a lot of patients who are not, do not have any pre-existing medical conditions. They're not diabetic or anything like that.
We've got 16 ventilated patients in the intensive care unit at the minute, which has led us to completely run out of space. So we've taken over theatre recovery, and we've got a further eight there. I think by the end of today, we will fill recovery. So that'll bring us up to 25 patients.
And then we have another area prepared, which is the old high dependency unit and coronary care that we've taken over as well. We can fit a further 22 patients in that area. The way things are going at the minute, the rate of growth and the amount of admissions that we're seeing, I would say we will fill that by the end of the week, probably.
www.theguardian.com

President appears to undermine guidance; infection rate slows in Italy; Spain records first drop in daily death toll in four days
The number of funerals in Jakarta rose sharply in March, a development the governor of Indonesia's capital city said suggested that deaths from the new coronavirus may be higher than officially reported.

Nearly 4,400 burials occurred in the month; 40% higher than any month since at least January 2018, according to a Reuters review of statistics from the city's Department of Parks and Cemeteries.

Jakarta's governor, Anies Baswedan, and some public health experts suspect the number of infections and deaths in Jakarta has been significantly under-reported due to one of the world's lowest rates of testing.

It is extremely disturbing. I'm struggling to find another reason than unreported Covid-19 deaths.
www.theguardian.com

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I believe it's mild to moderate symptoms. You can still feel like shit but not have a need to be hospitalized.

I'm not trying to mitigate the virus, like at all (stay home for a couple of time ok ! ) but the father of my friend got covid-19 from his boss, and he was test positive 2 weeks ago, and he had absoluty nothing more then cough for like 4 days. No fever, no problem with breathing, anything. I know some people got affect way harder then that. But it's still pretty strange.

Zerokku

Oct 25, 2017
Just a little story from suburban Utah but a lady in my neighborhood is semi famous locally singer songwriter and she posted on facebook that she was doing a free concert at 2pm. It was heartwarming to see the neighbors outside on a nice day listening to beautiful music. really lifted me and the families spirits.

Humanity is so amazing and horrible all at the same time.

Yeah a friend of mine whos an accomplished Painist did a LotR piano stream for everyone, and you could tell it raised everyones spirits just to be able to enjoy the music like that. And then he ended it with the quote - "I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." and I was promptly in tears.

I'm not trying to mitigate the virus, like at all (stay home for a couple of time ok ! ) but the father of my friend got covid-19 from his boss, and he was test positive 2 weeks ago, and he had absoluty nothing more then cough for like 4 days. No fever, no problem with breathing, anything. I know some people got affect way harder then that. But it's still pretty strange.

I think a big part of the variance is that its almost less the virus itself being the issue so much as the immune system response to it. And well, theres a pretty large variation when it comes to peoples immune systems.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I heavily suspect almost everybody experiences symptoms.

It's just for some you won't even recognize it as sickness (maybe you feel congested one day or have minor aches another, but no prolonged or worsening symptoms that would lead you to believe you were seriously ill). In the middle of cold, flu, and now allergy season, it may not be noticeably different than what you already expect or are used to, and so you just don't ever actually know you were infected (and you sure as hell can't get tested).

Which counterintuitively makes it more dangerous, as those people wouldn't have known to take precautions and stay isolated.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I'm worried. My girlfriend was a nurse at Mass General but started an office job in another department for MGH but in a satellite building the last week of February. Earlier this week they told her that she (along with many other RNs who were former bedside nurses) would likely be brought back as the surge of patients is happening. Her old floor was turned into a COVID unit. It's looking like that's going to be happening, she may even be called in starting this weekend. I don't know what to do. I was so relieved she got out when she did. Our apartment is a tiny one bedroom. I have no idea how we're going to sterilize everything when she gets home.

ChrisBliss117

Oct 28, 2017
I was listening to my mayors update (Omaha, NE) and she shut down a frisbee golf place and put a sign up saying it was closed... vandalised the same day and hundreds of people continued to play. But no city or state shutdown is needed they say!

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm worried. My girlfriend was a nurse at Mass General but started an office job in another department for MGH but in a satellite building the last week of February. Earlier this week they told her that she (along with many other RNs who were former bedside nurses) would likely be brought back as the surge of patients is happening. Her old floor was turned into a COVID unit. It's looking like that's going to be happening, she may even be called in starting this weekend. I don't know what to do. I was so relieved she got out when she did. Our apartment is a tiny one bedroom. I have no idea how we're going to sterilize everything when she gets home.
Does she have options to change before she leaves? I would advise her to just strip down once she gets in the apartment and shower immediately.

I think the bigger concern is not sterilizing when she comes home, but what she brings in her lungs, this is by far the greatest risk.

My best wishes to your wife, my wife is a Nurse Anesthetist, and is going to be stepping into some of this as well. It's not easy.

notBald

Oct 27, 2017
Google launched a webiste that shows tracking data from Google Maps.

https://www.google.com/covid19/mobility/

It for instance shows a 94% drop in Italy for visits to retail and recreational stores. Compared to 85% for the UK, 47% for the US, 24% for Sweden and 19% for South Korea.

I'm surprised it's so low for South Korea, they were for a while at least one of the harder hit countries. Sweden is being criticized for being too lax, but has a bigger drop yet more deaths. Maybe there's something to everyone wearing masks.

I think a big part of the variance is that its almost less the virus itself being the issue so much as the immune system response to it. And well, theres a pretty large variation when it comes to peoples immune systems.
I've heard about this. Having different responses to an infection increases the chance of someone in the population surviving.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth

When I get home my first action is to walk inside, get undressed down to my under garments, toss them into a bag and then I hop in the shower

Granted I can do my laundry at the house. You may have it differently but putting it in garbage bags and closing them and placing them in the car or something until they can be washed may be a good start.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
They haven't even done legislation for getting rid of the 1-week wave period for Unemployment. I truly don't know how these people keep getting voted back in. Useless.

Conservatives don't like government, but it's something they can't get rid of, so they're perfectly OK with braindead morons being elected to keep anything from getting done.

These people are simpleminded, braindead idiots who lack anything close to critical thinking skills, which is why they hate colleges.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing is fucking changing here in florida. People are still out and about. Walmart was packed. I was just making a food run. A fucking sherwin williams store is open. No one is making any changes.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EciEvvN.png

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question which might have been asked a few times already, but would appreciate if someone can answer this.

What exactly does it mean when someone says "so and so is asymptomatic to the covid".
Does it mean that person has the virus but is kinda immune to it (but can still spread it around).
Or does it mean that person has the virus, doesn't show any symptoms but still can get seriously ill/die from it.