• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a rural v Metro issue that has been occurring across the country. For the most part when talking people, Chicagoland (10M people) is the bulk of Illinois (12.7M people), but land mass wise it's not. If you were to draw a red blue congressional district map the state would look red, but since the vast majority of the population takes up residence in the small northeastern lakeside part of the State it's a blue State.

Minnesota outside of the Twin City Metro is similar although not quite as severely lopsided population wise (yet...).

The more rural the area is the more difficult it is to see why shit is shut down. Essentially they have a small Main St that's closed, Walmart has reduced hours, and their kids are locked out of school, but their Covid 19 cases are very low and it just doesn't add up when your vision is limited. That is until the cases pop up in the next county over or in their own town. Then it's already too late and the lock-downs were not thorough enough...

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
3.737 in Chile. 333+ in the last 24 hours, 22 deaths +4 in the last 24 hours

Health minister "assumes" 427 are recovered since they have not died in the last two weeks.

Last night, Health Minister claimed that the strategy is not preventing infection, is slowingly infecting everyone. Good idea, really good idea.

All that people in queue waiting for unemployment benefits will spike the infected rate.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is meaningless considering every state is practicing differently.

I'd rather compare NY to Cali to Washington to Florida etc. as to which states are practicing social distancing the best.

It is not meaningless because it is still the same country and people can travel from one state to another, so if a couple of states fuck it up the rest will also eventually pay the price.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Bulletin for the
French situation:
64338 confirmed cases + 5233 in 24 H .
hospital:
27432 hospitalized + 1186 in 24 H
6662 in intensive care + 263 in 24 H
5091 dead + 588 in 24 H

care homes:
17827 positive cases
1416 deaths

That makes for a total of 6507 deaths.

Week 13: the excess of deaths is now 23%

covidcare_hosp03049wjz8.png

Hospital graphs:
covid0304bgj1q.png

covidtable0304tzjre.png

52club

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure they'll change their tune if the agreement includes no access to Chicago hospitals.

I own a home in this area that my mom lives in, and I grew up in this area. I now live in the Chicago area. One thing is they send their serious medical cases to the St. Louis area, so losing access to Chicago medical care isn't a big deal.

The thing I'll add is this idea of creating a state without Chicago has been around for a while. Things like elections and events like this virus stirs up this thought again. I'm not totally against the idea of a peaceful change of state lines, and certain states relationships to the US govt. I could see some states take a hard look after the lack of response by the federal govt what the exit plan might look like after this virus situations concludes. I know it sounds insane, but keeping these 50 states tied to each other might even be crazier at this point.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
This is a rural v Metro issue that has been occurring across the country. For the most part when talking people, Chicagoland (10M people) is the bulk of Illinois (12.7M people), but land mass wise it's not. If you were to draw a red blue congressional district map the state would look red, but since the vast majority of the population takes up residence in the small northeastern lakeside part of the State it's a blue State.

Minnesota outside of the Twin City Metro is similar although not quite as severely lopsided population wise (yet...).

The more rural the area is the more difficult it is to see why shit is shut down. Essentially they have a small Main St that's closed, Walmart has reduced hours, and their kids are locked out of school, but their Covid 19 cases are very low and it just doesn't add up when your vision is limited. That is until the cases pop up in the next county over or in their own town. Then it's already too late and the lock-downs were not thorough enough...

Sounds about right. I'm in a rural town in California and all I hear are these people bitching (especially my parents), yet they're going to be in for a rude awakening when this thing does get here.

Grip

Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania
8,420 cases (+1,404)
102 deaths (+12)

The state just went into full lockdown instead of just specific counties, so it might be awhile before the peak.

The areas that weren't already in lockdown are much smaller and less populated than the parts that have been getting hit the hardest (the vast majority being in the Philly area) so I doubt that will have much impact on the numbers.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Bulletin for the
French situation:
hospital:
5091 dead + 588 in 24 H

care homes:
17827 positive cases
1416 deaths

Hospital graphs:
covid0304bgj1q.png

covidtable0304tzjre.png
17.800 in nursing homes?? That's a lot of high risk people infected.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

The divide is the same here in Ontario. People will proudly proclaim that they wouldn't live in Toronto even if someone paid them, and then turn around and whine about how unfair it is that our services and infrastructure are better than their small town's.

One of the big stories in this province right now is how the small town of Bobcaygeon had 21 residents die in a senior's residence, and two dozen staff test positive, so the reality is actually starting to hit people.

Chaos17

Oct 27, 2017
France
Bulletin for the
French situation:
hospital:
5091 dead + 588 in 24 H

care homes:
17827 positive cases
1416 deaths

Hospital graphs:
covid0304bgj1q.png

covidtable0304tzjre.png
This is a disaster for the nursing homes...

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit. If Evers get's this thing passed WI will likely be in the bag for the Dems. Who woulda though a .1% win for Gov would have led to what is possibly the critical change to beat Trump.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
17.800 in nursing homes?? That's a lot of high risk people infected.
This is a disaster for the nursing homes...
Indeed, it's 2.5% of residents whom have been infected and we are not done yet :(
And we don't even have the complete picture ! (iirc for now we have an 80% complete coverage)

It's a high distress period for many, because they cannot see their families, and are now in isolation in their rooms... tablets or computers are one thing, but the physical presence is so much more potent in warming hearts.

Some nursing homes have floors or aisles dedicated to covid+ residents... which are felt like death rows for the families (we know the magnitude of the initial viral charge is important in outcome)... and the more fragile elders among the elders can only pray to escape the dreaded ARDS, there is no 50/50 chance to escape a grim fate to them.

Measures have been introduced to reinforce protection last week with increased PPE deliveries to personnel... but it's a little late.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
This map is insane.

EUs04g5XQAkZkEM.jpg

khn.org

Millions Of Older Americans Live In Counties With No ICU Beds As Pandemic Intensifies - KFF Health News

A Kaiser Health News analysis shows that counties with ICUs average one ICU bed for every 1,300 older residents, those most at risk for needing hospitalization.

If the virus spreads in the midwest they're fucked.

I'm in Lassen county in Northern California (the middle yellow state on the eastern border with Nevada). Holy shit, I had no idea our hospital had no ICU units.

We're really going to fucked if this thing blows up here.

We've got two state prisons and if it gets into there, holy shit.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
This map is insane.

EUs04g5XQAkZkEM.jpg

khn.org

Millions Of Older Americans Live In Counties With No ICU Beds As Pandemic Intensifies - KFF Health News

A Kaiser Health News analysis shows that counties with ICUs average one ICU bed for every 1,300 older residents, those most at risk for needing hospitalization.

Looking at this map gave me chills...It can be a total disaster in those regions without hospitals/ICU beds

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
I live in IL and my brother was killed by a drunk driver last year so we have been going to court almost monthly due to the girl that killed him. I just got a call today that the Cook County courts are now closed till 5/31. That has to say something that we will all be on this isolation till then if not longer.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Holy shit. If Evers get's this thing passed WI will likely be in the bag for the Dems. Who woulda though a .1% win for Gov would have led to what is possibly the critical change to beat Trump.

As a European, that's something about America I learned from this board. Regional elections can matter a lot more than one might think.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
This map is insane.

EUs04g5XQAkZkEM.jpg

khn.org

I've seen a lot of shit posted in my state about stupid rural areas acting like the Illinois article. Those areas will get it and then all of a sudden they are going to want care.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I live in WI and just happened to send in my absentee ballot anyways..but yeah that move would be huge for the rest of the state.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in Lassen county in Northern California (the middle yellow state on the eastern border with Nevada). Holy shit, I had no idea our hospital had no ICU units.
They may be able to open up space, but I'd definitely go into isolation if I lived there. They'd probably need to transport you to Shasta, so on top of potentially dying if you need urgent care, you could also be facing significant costs (since most insurance doesn't cover airlifts).

Stay safe.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
They may be able to open up space, but I'd definitely go into quarantine. They'd probably need to transport you to Shasta, so on top of potentially dying if you need urgent care, you could also be facing significant costs (since most insurance doesn't cover airlifts).

Reno would be closer, but they've got their own issues cases to deal with, so who knows how that would go.

I've barely left my house since I got laid off last weekend. My concern is my dipshit family who isn't taking this nearly as seriously as they should.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Man, home depot wasn't playing around. Had to pickup and online order and they were single file letting people in with constant instructions. On the other hand, publix had these hilariously ineffective sneeze guard things up that weren't even in front of where customers stand

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Are Worldometer's Spain numbers correct for the last 24 hours?
Yes. Spain has two updates:
-Spain Health Minister gives a complete breakdown of all of Spain at ca. 12 in their timeline
-Some regions give new information at last hour of the day (so ca. 22) which adds new cases.

As Worldmeter uses all information, the first update at ca.12 tends to be a smaller + compared to the information that the Health Minister says (as the information was added previously) but the total number of people is correct.

Last edited:

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London