• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
uh... on pa

www.mcall.com

Pennsylvania coronavirus update: Statewide case total jumps by 962 to 5,805; Gov. Wolf warns death toll could reach thousands

The number of coronavirus cases across Pennsylvania surged nearly 20% to 5,805 Wednesday, with Gov. Tom Wolf issuing a dire warning that the state’s death toll could run into the thousands if…

www.mcall.com

High coronavirus caseload for Allentown: ‘The virus is so prevalent that we are treating everyone as if they have it.’

During the initial weeks of the COVID-19 outbreak, Allentown first responders assessed how much personal protective gear was necessary on each call based on data from the Allentown Health Bureau an…

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
A statistic showing how we are still in the early phase of this is percentage of recoveries among closed cases in Denmark:
www.worldometers.info

Denmark COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

Denmark Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.

Closed cases means someone who was confirmed to have COVID and no longer has it.

Closed cases (105 people)
Deaths: 99%
Recoveries: 1%

Yes. So far only 1 person among confirmed cases has recovered. I sure hope lots of the confirmed cases that aren't closed soon recover because right now that statistic is an eyesore.

As I saw explained elsewhere, the quickest way for a confirmed outcome is to die

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Has anyone seen any information how this virus affects infants and toddlers ages <1-3?
This is obviously totally anecdotal, because the UK isn't testing anyone but the most extreme ICU cases and - to some tiny degree - healthcare workers. Anyway, we've been isolating for about three weeks because my son (who'll be three in June) developed a persistent cough.

In the space of about three days he went from "fine but coughing a lot" to "definitely under the weather" to "oh shit he can't breathe, he's gone limp, and he's burning up". We wound up having to break quarantine to take him to hospital, where he was examined by a doctor in a full suit and mask, while he was struggling to breathe. They were inclined it wasn't COVID-19, so they prescribed him antibiotics and an inhaler on the assumption that it was some other respiratory infection. But they couldn't rule it out.

The next two nights at home were pretty grim. His fever was 39c (about 102f) at points and he could barely speak in between coughs. We're not co-sleeping parents, and he's literally never slept in our bed before, but those two nights we had no choice. We didn't want to let him out of our sight.

After that he started to pick up: his temperature dropped after a couple of days, and about a fortnight later he no longer had a cough except in extreme cases of running around outside in the cold. So either the antibiotics worked - meaning it was a bacterial infection - or it was a virus he fought off on his own.

For a while I definitely thought he had COVID-19. The symptoms aligned perfectly, and he was the most ill I've ever seen him - and more ill than our daughter, who's nearly 6, has ever been. But the part that now has me thinking it wasn't? None of the rest of us have had so much as a sniffle. And while we're obviously teaching the kids good hygiene and hand-washing, when he was in our bed those two nights he was basically coughing directly into my nose and eyes all night. So given how infectious the coronavirus is, I guess perhaps that wasn't it.

If that wasn't it, though, I hope I don't have to see my kids, my wife, or anyone I know get it. Because we're not hypochondriac parents: my wife used to be a children's nurse, and we wouldn't have taken him to A&E if we hadn't believed it was necessary. It's horrible watching someone not being able to breathe. And whether our son had this virus or something else, that episode - and the hospital trip - gave me a really heightened appreciation for how awful it must be to die in a room, alone, fighting for breath.

I know intubated patients are in induced comas, but still, it's a horrendous thought. And nearly 600 people went that way in the UK today alone.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Nope, it's the so called best case scenario too.

The deaths seems insane because the trump admin allowed the virus to spread wholesale without zero checks for so long that the reponse short of a military lockdown wont flatten the curve enough. All the while calling the fuciking thing fake news. The death toll is insane simply because the reponse to it from trump is insane too.

Even here in the uk, the containing phase was South Korea level and brought bags if time, even though that was largely wasted. We had and still have a pretty good idea on where the virus is and where to focus on.

The us is still at the staring phase South Korea was on months ago, whilst the virus is everywhere.
Yeah. We did a pretty bad job, but the US has done an incomprehensibly bad job.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'm suspicious of China because of how virulent COVID19 turns out to be and how late they were with enacting the lockdown. Yeah it could be a harsh lockdown, but Hubei is more densely populated than Italy and slower to act. The correction will probably come in later and under the rug. I'm also suspicious of Germany, that seems impossible, sounds like they may count comorbidities as cause of death, though they still have a lot of capacity on the ICUs. I don't think anyone else is doing any fudging, just lagging in the possibility to accurately register.

honestly the data is just not really good for anything other than a broad picture, there's too many factors that make comparisons basically useless

testing, or lack thereof, asymptotic people (could be up to 80% by a sample done in Italy), demographics, population density, cultural differences (a big factor people aren't considering, Italians are very touchy feely for instance, and in general people in the West have a worse diet than people in the East)

Oct 26, 2017
I believe the same. I also work Aerospace and I went from working everyday on site to 2 days on site and now down to just 1 day.

Plus we have local suppliers and processing houses going down too due to positive cases.

We just learned of our companies first case yesterday.

It's coming for sure.
Ge Caledonian is closed til july now.

No warning, just bam.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
1c832bf3df45d030bca210a80f61cd779fba59b6.jpg

Apparently this is the field hospital being set up at Century Link event center.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
This is obviously totally anecdotal, because the UK isn't testing anyone but the most extreme ICU cases and - to some tiny degree - healthcare workers. Anyway, we've been isolating for about three weeks because my son (who'll be three in June) developed a persistent cough.

In the space of about three days he went from "fine but coughing a lot" to "definitely under the weather" to "oh shit he can't breathe, he's gone limp, and he's burning up". We wound up having to break quarantine to take him to hospital, where he was examined by a doctor in a full suit and mask, while he was struggling to breathe. They were inclined it wasn't COVID-19, so they prescribed him antibiotics and an inhaler on the assumption that it was some other respiratory infection. But they couldn't rule it out.

The next two nights at home were pretty grim. His fever was 39c (about 102f) at points and he could barely speak in between coughs. We're not co-sleeping parents, and he's literally never slept in our bed before, but those two nights we had no choice. We didn't want to let him out of our sight.

After that he started to pick up: his temperature dropped after a couple of days, and about a fortnight later he no longer had a cough except in extreme cases of running around outside in the cold. So either the antibiotics worked - meaning it was a bacterial infection - or it was a virus he fought off on his own.

For a while I definitely thought he had COVID-19. The symptoms aligned perfectly, and he was the most ill I've ever seen him - and more ill than our daughter, who's nearly 6, has ever been. But the part that now has me thinking it wasn't? None of the rest of us have had so much as a sniffle. And while we're obviously teaching the kids good hygiene and hand-washing, when he was in our bed those two nights he was basically coughing directly into my nose and eyes all night. So given how infectious the coronavirus is, I guess perhaps that wasn't it.

If that wasn't it, though, I hope I don't have to see my kids, my wife, or anyone I know get it. Because we're not hypochondriac parents: my wife used to be a children's nurse, and we wouldn't have taken him to A&E if we hadn't believed it was necessary. It's horrible watching someone not being able to breathe. And whether our son had this virus or something else, that episode - and the hospital trip - gave me a really heightened appreciation for how awful it must be to die in a room, alone, fighting for breath.

I know intubated patients are in induced comas, but still, it's a horrendous thought. And nearly 600 people went that way in the UK today alone.
Thank you for this. I'm glad your boy improved.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
... Call me crazy but arresting 30k people and putting them in likely cramped jails for a bit seems like a recipe for spreading the virus.
These arrests consist on taking them to the police station, writing down their information, and then they let them go. Legal action against them will come later.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Thank you for this. I'm glad your boy improved.
No problem. I don't know your situation, but I hope my post hasn't scared you unnecessarily. Like I said: we don't know if he had COVID. I don't think we'll ever know, unless wide-scale antibody testing rolls out here in the UK. Part of me believes he did, but the fact that none of the rest of the family developed any symptoms (we're nearly three weeks on from his worst point) suggests perhaps he didn't.

Please don't take anything I said as any indication of how confirmed COVID might or might not manifest and progress in someone my son's age. It's extremely likely to be a lot milder, although it could, obviously, be a lot worse.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
California's numbers are straight up skewed. They have no tests. My dad's nursing home just called and they have 1 case positive for COVID-19.

Told me the risk of infection is low because the person was only there for 3 days. So that's why they aren't testing everyone. Only temperature checks. When I asked about the COVID test she said only hospitals have them.

This is bullshit. Nobody has the test except the ER and they dont want to use them. This is fucking nonsense, how can you have a case in a nursing home and not test everyone?
Yeah, I'd be skeptical of that. There's a nursing home in Yucaipa that has 51 confirmed cases so far and they're assuming everyone there has it.
www.dailybulletin.com

51 residents, 6 staff at Yucaipa nursing home test positive for coronavirus

Two residents of Cedar Mountain have died

Plus, the overall healthcare response to this in the SoCal has been frustrating to read. There was a report in the paper yesterday about a 34 year old man in Whittier who died yesterday after continuously being sent home, even though he had all of the symptoms:
Andrews says Scott went to the emergency room after developing a fever and cough. Initially he was told he had an upper respiratory virus and he should go home and take over-the-counter medications.

When his condition got worse, he returned to the hospital. He was then told he had viral pneumonia. By the time he got his coronavirus test results back as positive, he was already on a ventilator.

He died two weeks after his initial visit to the hospital.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On pace to have 1 million cases and 50K+ deaths tomorrow. That would be a 5% death rate after 1 million cases...

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Apparently this is the field hospital being set up at Century Link event center.

You know whats aggravating?

I wish I can find the tweet but it was some congresswoman that thought this virus is a hoax and tried to start a media campaign to #FilmYourHospital because she went for a visit and saw empty wings with empty beds. People are using this as proof that its a hoax despite them not getting the fkn point that these places are empty because they are preparing the the peak.

Anyway... RE the china thing the other frustrating thing wll be this

Rest of the world: Wow we need to punish china for endangering the worlds health
China: We literally make all your shit so you better cool it
Rest of world: Oh shit tru, nevermind

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
My little town in Central New Jersey has test messaging setup to let people know of town related items. It has been things like road closures, school closings due to snow. That sort of stuff.
Well the past week or so they have been using it to let people know how many people in the town itself are infected. Yesterday it was 20. Today it is 25 with 5 more cases. And there is no doubt in my mind it will just keep getting higher and higher.
Part of me appreciates the fact they are doing it. The other part of me is wondering what ultimately is the point. I don't know, maybe I am wrong there on the latter. I just know it is both a good and a not so good thing.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts has the same death rate of 1.3% as Pennsylvania, despite being way further along in the curve with a lot more cases and deaths per population. Both states are also very average in number of tests per population among the states, and both states are very average in demographic distribution.

I really don't have an explanation for them being so much lower than the 2.1% death rate of the rest of the country.

PA looks to have a young skew for infection. The cities have a young population with a lot of teaching hospitals, which may also be why it's skewing younger. This can have an impact on why the death rate is lower as well. I live in a shutdown suburb, the positive case rate is pretty young.
Also the hospitalization rate is low, icu beds are available, etc. if you look at the website with projections for peaks it notes that the peak stays below capacity in PA as well (it will surely stress Philadelphia, but the state has a lot of university hospitals)

ZW33

Oct 25, 2017
twitter.com

BNO Newsroom on Twitter

“NEW: Connecticut Governor Lamont says a 6-week-old baby who tested positive for coronavirus has died, believed to be the world's youngest victim https://t.co/47MXF0XUJ0”

So heartbreaking. Hopefully this stays an extremely rare occurrence.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
986 new cases and 42 more deaths in Illinois.

Highest number of deaths so far here sigh.
Officials reported 986 known new cases and 42 deaths on Wednesday. That's the highest number of daily deaths reported since the outbreak began. There now have been 6,980 known infections and 141 deaths statewide.
www.chicagotribune.com

Coronavirus in Illinois updates: Here’s what happened April 1 with COVID-19 in the Chicago area

Here are the latest updates on the coronavirus in the Chicago area and Illinois.

Smoothcb

Oct 27, 2017
You know whats aggravating?

I wish I can find the tweet but it was some congresswoman that thought this virus is a hoax and tried to start a media campaign to #FilmYourHospital because she went for a visit and saw empty wings with empty beds. People are using this as proof that its a hoax despite them not getting the fkn point that these places are empty because they are preparing the the peak.

Anyway... RE the china thing the other frustrating thing wll be this

Rest of the world: Wow we need to punish china for endangering the worlds health
China: We literally make all your shit so you better cool it
Rest of world: Oh shit tru, nevermind
Good thing is, industries are starting to decentralize supply chain out of China. China of course will be one player but things are moving towards a multipolar supply chain moving forward.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018

My son is the same age and has problems with asthma and pneumonia. Any time he would even catch a cold he had breathing issues. He had what you described about a year ago, couldn't breathe and had a fever, was also vomiting. We rushed him to the childrens hospital nearby and they did xrays and diagnosed him with pneumonia, his 3rd case in 2 years. He's now on multiple inhalers and a breathing machine if it gets real bad when hes sick, but since being on the inhalers he does much better and has been sick with colds without needing to be rushed to the hospital.

Very glad your son recovered. Its incredibly frightening to not be able to help your child or even know what is going on with them since they cant tell you.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
USA

What are people using for grocery delivery? InstaCart and all participating stores are completely backed up (I know because of the strike).

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
USA

What are people using for grocery delivery? InstaCart and all participating stores are completely backed up (I know because of the strike).
I have been using Walmart's grocery app, and have tried pickup and delivery. I've just been adding items to the cart through out the week. It seems the best time to pick a delivery/pickup is at midnight. The times run out fast, but at midnight is when they unlock for the following day.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

I've seen a lot of photos of field hospitals like this being set up, but are any actually currently in use or are they just precautionary right now?
We have been using Kroger curbside but have had to get our order in like 5 days in advance.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I have been using Walmart's grocery app, and have tried pickup and delivery. I've just been adding items to the cart through out the week. It seems the best time to pick a delivery/pickup is at midnight. The times run out fast, but at midnight is when they unlock for the following day.

this might be a dumb question, but how is frozen or cold food treated for delivery or pickup? Last time I went to the grocery store they had a whole bunch of orders in bags behind the service desk waiting for pick up, and it made me wonder what they do if someone orders milk or ice cream or something

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen a lot of photos of field hospitals like this being set up, but are any actually currently in use or are they just precautionary right now?

We have been using Kroger curbside but have had to get our order in like 5 days in advance.
It's a precaution since we haven't hit peak cases yet.

Oct 25, 2017
USA

I've been using Hello Fresh for 3 meals a week and then we had a lot of stocked supplies. We're doing curbside pickup at one of the grocery store chains (Harris Teeter) tomorrow, but we have to reserve those timeslots pretty much a week in advance.

Oct 25, 2017
Do we even have new numbers for Washington state yet? Last I heard they haven't put any out since Saturday do to being overwhelmed.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
this might be a dumb question, but how is frozen or cold food treated for delivery or pickup? Last time I went to the grocery store they had a whole bunch of orders in bags behind the service desk waiting for pick up, and it made me wonder what they do if someone orders milk or ice cream or something
I ordered from Costco earlier this week and the cold/frozen stuff came in a cooler. Was definitely still frozen solid when it got to me.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
This quote from here:

" Yet another grandfatherly gentleman is there with obvious viral pneumonia, telling me through gasping breaths about his loving son who had been visiting him weekly, but who had some mild flu-like symptoms when he came last week. "

People are killing their own parents through negligence.