• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
The DIVI is the German interdisciplinary Association for Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine. I am a member they are legit. For once our bloated healthcare system and hospital capacity which usually causes all kinds of issues is a blessing.
The numbers do seem fairly large for regular day-to-day treatments (Germany, has what, some 80M people?) but at a time like this they are indeed a blessing.

Hope they keep up the good work, we bloody need a beacon of hope in Europe. It'd be great if at least 1 major country didn't get majorly screwed over by this.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Nate Silver comes off a bit dense here, the US is about two weeks behind those countries. They shut down around March 15. New york state (about the same size as the Netherlands) shot past NL in no time, and so will the rest of the US.
I'm confused. Sweden never did a lock down and isn't doing one now. Netherlands also doesn't have a shelter in place or travel restrictions as of right now. The U.K. put restrictions in place on the 23rd.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
I was absolutely stunned how much Contagion seemingly mirrored everything that is going on.

I was until I read how the writers went and prepared for the script. They did a ton of research and talked to a lot of experts to understand what a realistic response might look like. That's why the movie seems to predict the real thing so well, because they injected a hefty dose of reality into the film. Granted, the movie's virus is a much more lethal one than the one we're dealing with.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I think he is just giving those points of comparisons because the US will get even worse from now on. Or I hope he realices that.

What does "even worse" mean? Looking at the logarithmic scale for the US here shows that the curve is starting to flatten for the US. Which it should be given the measures put in place over the past several weeks. We've still got a long way to go for the peak but that is true for most countries right now.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
What does "even worse" mean? Looking at the logarithmic scale for the US here shows that the curve is starting to flatten for the US. Which it should be given the measures put in place over the past several weeks. We've still got a long way to go for the peak but that is true for most countries right now.
Most states in the US havent really started a lockdown or quarantine (or have just done it 1 week ago) and the % of positive tests in some of the areas point more towards the number of cases being "test contrained" rather than flattened the curve (the curve flattens AFTER the peak, not before).

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The curve is starting to flatten for the US? I'd love to believe it, but that's not what is happening. Most of the US isn't even testing yet (to a meaningful degree).

Pessimistic take: The curve in the US hasn't even BEGUN yet, due to this absolute mismanagement and naivety.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mom works in a nursing home in CT an hour from NYC. They already had positive cases. Uuuughhhh

The good thing is my dad is a carpenter and had a bunch of N95's laying around. Her facility is running very low and she is basically using her own supply. She texted me she had to hold a patients hand as a priest read her last rites.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Most states in the US havent really started a lockdown or quarantine (or have just done it 1 week ago) and the % of positive tests in some of the areas point more towards the number of cases being "test contrained" rather than flattened the curve (the curve flattens AFTER the peak, not before).

How many countries aren't test constrained at this point? Even with constraints we are testing more and more every day yet the growth on positive tests is dropping.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I'm trying to understand how California's numbers are so far below New York's totals despite CA having twice the population of New York. Apologies if this was already answered somewhere in the thread.

California's population is spread out over 4 major areas (Sacramento, the Bay Area, Los Angeles and San Diego). Once you leave the major cities, it's super rural and spread out.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Cuomo's press conference was interesting. He showed a McKinsey curve graph, with minimal social distancing impact, that peaks at end of April and steadily reduces until July 1. He also briefly discussed starting a new "normal" life for New Yorkers, so we can get back to work.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Cuomo's press conference was interesting. He showed a McKinsey curve graph, with minimal social distancing impact, that peaks at end of April and steadily reduces until July 1. He also briefly discussed starting a new "normal" life for New Yorkers, so we can get back to work.

I will literally cry the day we can all go back to our lives and work like normal.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
And 900k WW. We're gonna reach a million by Friday at this pace...

What? No, we will most likely break that barrier Thursday. The increase has been roughly 100,000 a day and the US is speeding up.

As soon as India starts testing on a massive scale the numbers will explode. The real number of infected worldwide is most likely already many millions. Many infected have either zero or very mild symptoms. They won't get tested as long as test supplies are limited.

The virus started spreading worldwide in november and it began spreading in both Europe and US early January (if not sooner). With how connected the world is through tourism and trade and how late measures to limit the spread were introduced it's highly likely that many millions already have COVID. Luckily just as many will have already had it too and are recovered without even knowing they dodged a bullet.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm having a really hard time not feeling a bit hopeless today. I wasn't expecting ventilators to be a silver bullet solution, but I definitely didn't anticipate the odds of recovery being so low once you are required to be placed on one. I'm terrified for my parents and older relatives.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If anything, China gave other countries a foreshadowing of what happens when you wait too long until you start taking measures.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
What? No, we will most likely break that barrier Thursday. The increase has been roughly 100,000 a day and the US is speeding up.

As soon as India starts testing on a massive scale the numbers will explode. The real number of infected worldwide is most likely already many millions. Many infected have either zero or very mild symptoms. They won't get tested as long as test supplies are limited.

The virus started spreading worldwide in november and it began spreading in both Europe and US early January (if not sooner). With how connected the world is through tourism and trade and how late measures to limit the spread were introduced it's highly likely that many millions already have COVID. Luckily just as many will have already had it too and are recovered without even knowing they dodged a bullet.
It''s been 70k actually (at least according to WorldMeters). It takes an entire day and a bit from the following one to do 100k. But even still, yeah, Thursday seems like more accurate bet... unfortunately... :S

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Dany1899 maybe you have a source for this?
I found some statistics which may be of interest for you.

From official data released from ISTAT (Istituto Nazionale di Statistica), a comparison between people died between 1-21 March 2019 and people died between 1-21 March 2020 has been performed.
There are the statistics for some of the most hit provinces (last column's label means Increment):
EUiBXaTWoAYqgrG

There are instead statistics related to single cities (first column's label means Total deaths):

Nembro, a city in the province of Bergamo, had a 1000% increment, it's crazy.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Mayor Lori Lightfoot blasts Trump for 'wildly wrong' statements, says Chicago faces a coronavirus peak but 'starting to trend in the right direction'
The number of coronavirus cases in Chicago are "starting to trend in the right direction," though much more work needs to be done to curb COVID-19, Mayor Lori Lightfoot said Wednesday.
"What we're also seeing is a lengthening of time between the doubling of cases. It's too soon to make any real predictions but it seems like we're starting to trend in the right direction. But the truth is, on our modeling, we don't believe we're going to reach the peak of this virus until mid- to late April," Lightfoot said, echoing a point she previously made in a Tribune interview. "So there's a lot more work that needs to be done. As you know, we've taken some fairly drastic steps, canceled a lot of outdoor activities, issued a stay-at-home order, closed our schools. All these things we know are necessary to really save lives and we've launched here a local campaign called stay home, save lives, which people are having fun with, which is great."
"What we're also seeing is a lengthening of time between the doubling of cases. It's too soon to make any real predictions but it seems like we're starting to trend in the right direction. But the truth is, on our modeling, we don't believe we're going to reach the peak of this virus until mid- to late April," Lightfoot said, echoing a point she previously made in a Tribune interview. "So there's a lot more work that needs to be done. As you know, we've taken some fairly drastic steps, canceled a lot of outdoor activities, issued a stay-at-home order, closed our schools. All these things we know are necessary to really save lives and we've launched here a local campaign called stay home, save lives, which people are having fun with, which is great."

She also said she's "disturbed by the states that still don't have a universal stay-at-home order."
"What happens in one state will absolutely have a ripple effect on the rest of the country, so anybody who thinks that they can continue the status quo, not implement aggressive stay-at-home measures, is fooling themselves," Lightfoot said.

www.chicagotribune.com

Mayor Lori Lightfoot blasts Trump for ‘wildly wrong’ statements, says Chicago faces a coronavirus peak and must ‘stay diligent’ or risk erasing progress

The number of coronavirus cases in Chicago are “starting to trend in the right direction,” though much more work needs to be done to curb COVID-19, Mayor Lori Lightfoot said Wednesday.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
According to the news, Belgium is on track to have less deaths than even the best case scenario originally foreseen. So the lockdown is working.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California's numbers are straight up skewed. They have no tests. My dad's nursing home just called and they have 1 case positive for COVID-19.

Told me the risk of infection is low because the person was only there for 3 days. So that's why they aren't testing everyone. Only temperature checks. When I asked about the COVID test she said only hospitals have them.

This is bullshit. Nobody has the test except the ER and they dont want to use them. This is fucking nonsense, how can you have a case in a nursing home and not test everyone?