• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even Japan is now worried that cases are rising, they put on a straight face because of the Olympics but now that's gone.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
3- People say this is conspiracy theory but I don't see why: I still think the outbreak of vaping-related lung injury/illness was actually Covid which was simply supercharged if people were vaping with products laced with vitamin-e acetate because it helped the virus bind itself to the lungs. There is still no culprit identified. I'd be really curious to hear from someone who knows more about this stuff if it would have been possible for the virus to not be noticed in those cases because we would not have been looking for it at the time. The symptoms are extremely similar, people end up on ventilators, getting or dying of pneumonia, and even the CT scans of lungs are pretty much showing the same. If that is the case, the CDC would never want to admit they missed this, ever.
The really obvious reason to think that it isn't SARS-COV-2 is that our hospitals didn't get overwhelmed with millions of cases of severe pneumonia from non-vapers last year, which would have happened if there were loads of random COVID-19 cases walking around undetected with the population taking no general response.

The other big reason is that doctors generally search for the presence of infectious agents in situations like this. The fact that the patients weren't responding to antibiotics makes a viral agent especially suspect. If the patients had upper respiratory infections from a novel coronavirus, not detecting it would be a very strange outcome.

Zerokku

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Phoenix and in a constant flux of how bad will this be here. One sec I am convinced that it's a large population, but spread over a large area, with little public transport. I live in the suburbs, so will likely see low impact, but it's a day to day worry.

I'm with you on this. The only way Phoenix gets through this without being a horrible hotspot is gonna be cause its so much less dense than almost any other major city, our downtown is comparably tiny and much of phoenix is suburbia. I'm hopeful...

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The really obvious reason to think that it isn't SARS-COV-2 is that our hospitals didn't get overwhelmed with millions of cases of severe pneumonia from non-vapers last year, which would have happened if there were loads of random COVID-19 cases walking around undetected with the population taking no general response.

The other big reason is that doctors generally search for the presence of infectious agents in situations like this. The fact that the patients weren't responding to antibiotics makes a viral agent especially likely. If the patients had upper respiratory infections from a novel coronavirus, it definitely would have been caught.

Ok good to know, always wondered since even some scientists speculated Covid might have started infecting humans in September:

AAAS

The genomic data cannot pinpoint the origin, but they do show that the jump from animals to humans happened recently, Koopmans says. An analysis of the first 30 publicly posted sequences shows they differ from each other by no more than seven nucleotides (see graphic, right). Using these differences and presumed mutation rates, several groups have calculated that the virus began to spread around mid-November 2019—which supports the thesis that spread may have occurred before any of the cases linked to the market. One group put the origin of the outbreak as early as 18 September 2019.

Weird coincidence.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US flu deaths...

2010-2011: 36,656
2011-2012: 12,447
2012-2013: 42,570
2013-2014: 37,930
2014-2015: 51,376
2015-2016: 22,705
2016-2017: 38,230
2017-2018: 61,099
2018-2019: 34,157

Those nine years total 337,170.
That's with zero meaningful change to anyone's routines.
200,000 in a few months with major lockdowns is not in the same universe as that.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bruh
www.theadvocate.com

Central pastor holds service hours after arrest on violating governor's stay-at-home order

The pastor of Life Tabernacle Church in Central went ahead with an evening religious service Tuesday night just hours after city police cited him over allegations he violated a state

A fool. Here's what my pastor wrote in an email today:

"Someone asked me what I thought about pastors who were violating the meeting ban, holding church services because it is their constitutional right to do so. As Christians, we willingly sacrifice our rights to love and serve others. It's what Jesus did for us. He sacrificed His right to live so we could live—forever. He calls us to do the same. Any pastor that stands on his constitutional right to meet and jeopardizes the health and safety of his church and his community is not representing Jesus well. We should be leading the way in loving others well, not standing on our rights to the detriment of others."

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many people are just gonna get used to living like this and will feel kinda disturbed when things go back to normal.

Oct 25, 2017
Do you all remember the ill-conceived ban on European travelers by the Trump administration that directly caused massive confusion and overcrowding at airports while the passengers all breathed the same air in confined spaces AND THEN traveled to their final destination in US as we now are coming to the unsettling realization that the virus is clearly capable or aerosol transmission?

Talk about the worst thing you can do the accelerate the spread of the virus in the US, and the above was it.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Its gonna look different for sure. A lot of restaurants won't be able to survive/reopen after this period.

MrBanballow

Not changing this tag
May 1, 2019
I have a friend that I care for that moved to New Orleans the end of January. When I got my tax refund, I booked a trip to visit the city for the first time and see how she's been doing. Obviously the trip isn't gonna happen now, and while I try to talk to her a bit each day, I still worry about her constantly. :(

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do you all remember the ill-conceived ban on European travelers by the Trump administration that directly caused massive confusion and overcrowding at airports while the passengers all breathed the same air in confined spaces AND THEN traveled to their final destination in US as we now are coming to the unsettling realization that the virus is clearly capable or aerosol transmission?

Talk about the worst thing you can do the accelerate the spread of the virus in the US, and the above was it.

Yeah, the worst of it was March 14th. The incompetence of Trump's customs department is limitless. Those people were packed like sardines for ten hours each. I believe I likened it to a mosh pit at the time.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I already have the feeling that nothing will ever be the same again.

I'm sure our previous generations thought this after many of the terrible situations and pandemics in the last century. The situation is extremely serious and a dark time for the world, but things will indeed go back to normal for the world, sooner then many of us think.

We often think in the here and now, and that whatever we are going through is the worst that it has ever beven.

We are extremely lucky this pandemic is not deadlier then it is. We are even more lucky it impacts much more certain demographics then it does. The medical tech and expertise we have now dedicated to keeping people alive no matter what is incredible to what was available even a few decades ago. At no demographic is this disease a death sentence.

No doubt this is a terrible time but already, months into this, on a global scale things are ticking along better then in other parts of the world and entire blocs and counties are coming out of the other side.

However for the likes of the us, indeed it will be a much longer return to normalcy then other parts of the world. That I would have to agree with, the handling of this by the trump admin is nothing short of a disaster.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Also helps that shaking hands isn't normalized in Japan.

Yeah, when you bow you don't touch, deference means you won't knock your head against each other by bowing too low at the same time ;)

You could get infected by card exchange or tissu distribution (though i believe we are passed the big epidemic of tissue that happened in late 90s/00s)

Nov 27, 2017
California
USA will take the longest to recover and it'll be embarrassing when the rest of the world is back to normal x "locking out" or putting Americans into quarantine if they visit their country
Personally I see empty crowd for professional sports starting in late August or September for the USA
Things will get better but it'll take a long time
Unfortunately many will die, especially hospital staff due to poor conditions and no equipment

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
For information 5 to 8% of french students are completely lost, Tom Sawyer style.
Online classes only have an average of 30% attendance, because of sick families that force kids to take care of their parents/their young relatives, connection problems (like my 1megabits per seconds tops... a little short for at home) or others.
Most schools entry exams will get cancelled and the grades of 1st and 2nd trimesters will be used instead... which means people won't be properly ready for the next year unless there is a global catchup effort in the summer.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For information 5 to 8% of french students are completely lost, Tom Sawyer style.
Online classes only have an average of 30% attendance, because of sick families that force kids to take care of their parents/their young relatives, connection problems (like my 1megabits per seconds tops... a little short for at home) or others.
Most schools entry exams will get cancelled and the grades of 1st and 2nd trimesters will be used instead... which means people won't be properly ready for the next year unless there is a global catchup effort in the summer.
and there is a better than not chance this isnt resolved by summer.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand

As soon as I saw the photos, I knew this was the biggest mistake that the administration had and still has made. That situation undoubtably seeded the virus into thousands of communities across the US, once people returned to their home cities and towns and likely went straight out to markets to replenish their supplies or panic buy.

It could have been done so much better. Clearer communication to avoid panic and not overwhelm airports, have returning people be screened for fever, all travelers going into mandatory self isolation, have nationwide stay at home guidance already in place. None of that happened, and the result probably made the situation worse for the US in a way that no other single action or decision has.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
200k deaths? Am I missing something or US not around 4k deaths?
It's an estimate of the number of death, with lock down, when the epidemic is gone.
Donald J Trump said in his Covid-19 briefing that 200k deaths would feel like a victory (compared to 2.2 million deaths with mild lockdown, or 11 million deaths with no action at all and herd immunity shennanigans)

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
200k deaths? Am I missing something or US not around 4k deaths?

You're missing that we're up to 900+ deaths per day and accelerating, with massive waves of new infections primed to keep that going for a while.
That's without full ICU saturation.
I've seen models where even with lockdowns ICUs have eight patients lined up for every bed. In that scenario more than 7/8ths of people needing ICU would die until new severe cases dropped.

Jan 16, 2019
US flu deaths...

2010-2011: 36,656
2011-2012: 12,447
2012-2013: 42,570
2013-2014: 37,930
2014-2015: 51,376
2015-2016: 22,705
2016-2017: 38,230
2017-2018: 61,099
2018-2019: 34,157

Those nine years total 337,170.
That's with zero meaningful change to anyone's routines.
200,000 in a few months with major lockdowns is not in the same universe as that.

As a RN I do wonder of this COVID situation will long term lower flu death rates because I think people will practice social distancing for a long time tbh. I know its not too related to COVID but just makes me think.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
As a RN I do wonder of this COVID situation will long term lower flu death rates because I think people will practice social distancing for a long time tbh. I know its not too related to COVID but just makes me think.
A lot more people will get vaccinated too. Infectious disease will spread slower because of the the lessons we learn from Covid-19 just like how Asia learned from SARS and MERS so they're better able to handle new epidemics. So some good will come out of this, but the cost of acquiring this is going to be very high.

Jan 16, 2019
A lot more people will get vaccinated too. Infectious disease will spread slower because of the the lessons we learn from Covid-19 just like how Asia learned from SARS and MERS so they're better able to handle new epidemics. So some good will come out of this, but the cost of acquiring this is going to be very high.
I agree.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
The current mechanism the Trump admin. set up for obtaining medical equipment like ventilators in the U.S. is simply insane. Gov. Cuomo lays it out pretty bare, comparing it to eBay with all 50 states bidding on the same equipment. And then FEMA coming in and bidding on them also. Senator Warren said today that Massachusetts has been outbid three times so far by FEMA.

The problem is, if we did give all purchasing authority to the Federal government, Trump would likely only give equipment to states that benefit him politically or personally.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lmao i went out for a walk and started talking to my apts security guard about my anxiety and he gave me weed. no joke like two bowl fulls

edit: it's legal and and essential store in California

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we will ever find out just how many people are Asymptomatic. I'm betting many people will go through this entire ordeal and never realize that they were carriers...

Honestly I find all this hairpulling about China underreporting numbers a little disingenious because like, every country is. By nature of the limits we have on testing currently every country is under-reporting their cases, especially asymptomatic people.

It's like people are treating this as a weird competition for whatever reason. "No, my country isn't as bad as yours! Nyeh!"

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Seems as though the US may start seeing daily death totals in the 4 figures. Such an incredibly sad state of affairs.

Also having seen what's happening in India right now I can't help but feel as though the worst is still to come from a worldwide perspective.