• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020

I certainly agree that this is a serious, deadly pandemic, but this is low effort fear mongering imo. This isn't an extinction level event. Comparing COVID 19 to a comet/asteroid hitting Earth is about as helpful as comparing it to the seasonal flu.

Entire sectors of the economy will be seriously damaged or disappear after this is over. It will take years to recover. That will cause strife and problems all it's own. Being concerned about the economic ramifications post COVID is perfectly valid. That said, we have to do everything possible to stop the virus.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
I certainly agree that this is a serious, deadly pandemic, but this is low effort fear mongering imo. This isn't an extinction level event. Comparing COVID 19 to a comet/asteroid hitting Earth is about as helpful as comparing it to the seasonal flu.

Entire sectors of the economy will be seriously damaged or disappear after this is over. It will take years to recover. That will cause strife and problems all it's own. Being concerned about the economic ramifications post COVID is perfectly valid. That said, we have to do everything possible to stop the virus.
the joke is that how severe doesnt matter, only that there are people who dont care and just want people to go back to work even if it means a lot of death.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Why won't he do anything?

Hes beginning to wake up. On that note, DeSantis clearly does not get cruise industry money unlike Trump, from the article's tone. Millions of people pass through Broward and Miami Dade counties to board cruise ships, and disregarding humanartiarian reasoning, these ships form significant economic generation for Florida and the Caribbean. DeSantis should not be shirking our position and responsibility as a cruise industry base.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Guys, I know Florida is being flooded with cases but those ships are walking plague carriers. Its not humanitarian for the passengers, crew to be left onboard to get infected, they should be disembarked immediately in Florida.
I agree, hopefully they can find a place to quarantine all these people, but they shouldn't be allowed to be rooming freely. Potential problem will be when they try and escape, its a messy situation, but helping them is the right thing to do.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
yup on a side note, when do companies that are having most of their office workers working from home dicide to cancal their leases and make it the defult.

We've got a data center at our office. There's a lot of situations where an office can't just disappear overnight. But the more the better, for sure.

Of course, this *also* has an economic impact, but the lives are more important.

Deleted member 11046

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
60k died from the flu in the US in 2017-2018. It's bad, but comparing this war or 9/11 is not really meaningful.
I legit worry for people like you who haven't yet appreciated the scope of what we're facing and what we're about to experience as a nation. I've had a good month and a half of time to come to terms with this pandemic. But so many people who still haven't grasped the toll this will take on the US are gonna wake up in a world that seems like it went crazy overnight.

The totally unrealistic and rosy best case scenario that Trump himself has begrudgingly accepted shows us losing nearly the equivalent of lives lost in WW1. And this from a man who downplays and distorts the truth as much as possible.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I know Florida is being flooded with cases but those ships are walking plague carriers. Its not humanitarian for the passengers, crew to be left onboard to get infected, they should be disembarked immediately in Florida.
This. Fuck all the cities, states, countries that love to lap in tourist dollars but the moment people need help they are like nope! Let them die!

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
We've got a data center at our office. There's a lot of situations where an office can't just disappear overnight. But the more the better, for sure.

Of course, this *also* has an economic impact, but the lives are more important.
wont be overnight, but I suspect most companies will ether move to aws/gcloud/azure or rent out space, private or shared, for their data center needs.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
60k die from the fiu, but our hospitals dont fill up, our doctors dont die to treating fiu patients, our economy isn't shut down for 60k, CHINA didn't shut down for the fucking fiu, and they put nets out for suicide jumpers.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
wont be overnight, but I suspect most companies will ether move to aws/gcloud/azure or rent out space, private or shared, for their data center needs.

That takes a long time. I'm currently in a project to migrate most of our hosting to a private cloud. It's taken a year. Also, the growing oligopoly of the cloud has got to be salivating at this.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
60k died from the flu in the US in 2017-2018. It's bad, but comparing this war or 9/11 is not really meaningful.
100K dying is on the low end of the estimate right now for COVID-19. We're looking at 200K or more dying from the first WAVE of this virus. We have no idea what round two will bring. We're still at least 18 months out from a vaccine. This isn't the fucking flu. Wake the fuck up, please.

Also, I should add that the 100K on the low end is just Americans. Many thousands more worldwide will die from this virus. This is not just a virus that America is dealing with, but the entire world.

Oct 27, 2017
100K dying is on the low end of the estimate right now for COVID-19. We're looking at 200K or more dying from the first WAVE of this virus. We have no idea what round two will bring. We're still at least 18 months out from a vaccine. This isn't the fucking flu. Wake the fuck up, please.

Also, I should add that the 100K on the low end is just Americans. Many thousands more worldwide will die from this virus. This is not just a virus that America is dealing with, but the entire world.

People still have the mentality that it's just the flu, bro?

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I legit worry for people like you who haven't yet appreciated the scope of what we're facing and what we're about to experience as a nation. I've had a good month and a half of time to come to terms with this pandemic. But so many people who still haven't grasped the toll this will take on the US are gonna wake up in a world that seems like it went crazy overnight.

The totally unrealistic and rosy best case scenario that Trump himself has begrudgingly accepted shows us losing nearly the equivalent of lives lost in WW1. And this from a man who downplays and distorts the truth as much as possible.

You misunderstood. I was saying that saying 200k is more than 9/11 + Vietnam + Korean war is dumb. The flu killed 60k people in a year. Take two years of the flu and you could make the same comparison.

Comparing Covid to 9/11 and such is dumb. It's not meaningful. The flu deaths each year is many times 9/11, so what? It's a really pointless way of underlining the seriousness of the current situation. All it does is the opposite.

I expect Covid to kill over 500k in four weeks worldwide. Don't say I think this is just the flu.

Elrid

Oct 28, 2017
You misunderstood. I was saying that saying 200k is more than 9/11 + Vietnam + Korean war is dumb. The flu killed 60k people in a year. Take two years of the flu and you could make the same comparison.

Comparing Covid to 9/11 and such is dumb. It's not meaningful. The flu deaths each year is many times 9/11, so what? It's a really pointless way of underlining the seriousness of the current situation. All it does is the opposite.

Yeah why don't we shut everything down for the flu? It aint shit! ??

What are you getting at? Sorry man this is a big deal and it's just trying to put it in perspective as in world events.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

"This is just the flu" is giving oxygen to people who want us to go back to work and let *millions* die.

Stop doing that.

It's insanely different from the flu and will kill more people than all of our wars if we don't fight it, and fight it hard. Mostly by staying the fuck home and not downplaying it.

Jesus, we won't have anywhere enough critical care workers if we treat this like the flu, because they will be FUCKING DEAD.

Stop posting. At least posts like these.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017

Comparing Covid to 9/11 and such is dumb. It's not meaningful.
60k die from the flu when we do nothing special.

COVID-19 isn't an epidemic where "do nothing special" is an option, unless you're okay with killing millions. So we were inevitably going to respond aggressively either way. And if we're going to respond aggressively either way, deaths that occur due to a delayed or poorly-coordinated response are very preventable.

Besides the issue of individuals not getting the seasonal flu vaccine when they should - which isn't really an issue with our emergency pandemic response system - flu is the way that it is.
With COVID-19, our response can be, and has good reason to be, far better than it's been.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"This is just the flu" is giving oxygen to people who want us to go back to work and let *millions* die.

Stop doing that.

It's insanely different from the flu and will kill more people than all of our wars if we don't fight it, and fight it hard. Mostly by staying the fuck home and not downplaying it.

Jesus, we won't have anywhere enough critical care workers if we treat this like the flu, because they will be FUCKING DEAD.

I'm not saying it's just the flu I'm saying comparing the death toll to war is dumb and pointless because people could have done the same with the flu yet obviously we didn't and for obvious reasons! When you compare Covid to Vietnam and such people just handwave it by pointing at the deaths caused by other stuff!

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying it's just the flu I'm saying comparing the death toll to war is dumb and pointless because people could have done the same with the flu yet obviously we didn't and for obvious reasons! When you compare Covid to Vietnam and such people just handwave it by pointing at the deaths caused by other stuff!
And those people are wrong

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I expect Covid to kill over 500k in four weeks worldwide. Don't say I think this is just the flu.
I think it's a useful way to get people to understand the severity and significance f the numbers. All three of these events shaped the country for years. This is much bigger and some still, today, don't take it seriously enough. The flu is a constant in life like heart disease. Using flu numbers is meaningless as most people know the flu sucks and it's a known commodity rather than something new.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wish people still making analogies to the Flu would just get banned. It's dangerous and totally unfounded at this point.

I do wonder if some states see successful flattening what we'll see as far as sourcing. Will those states ship their equipment and people to help? Will we receive other states? I think we'll know it 10 days or so.

Pretty wild that 3 weeks ago I was schedule to go on a week long work trip through WI and IL. I went in on that Tuesday and told the leadership I did not think we should go and we should back out. I remember feeling like I might be overreacting but better safe than sorry. They agreed and I basically started isolating myself then (March 10). I had already been incredibly careful since late February to wash my hands every time I did anything and had hand sanitizer in my car and other places. I felt like a lunatic.

So much has changed.

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Yeah why don't we shut everything down for the flu? It aint shit! ??

What are you getting at? Sorry man this is a big deal and it's just trying to put it in perspective as in world events.

Stop doing that.

You're misreading what Ether_Snake is saying. They are saying that comparisons in general are unhelpful because they open the door to handwaving this away simply by comparing it to other stuff like the flu.

Elrid

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's a useful way to get people to understand the severity and significance f the numbers. All three of these events shaped the country for years. This is much bigger and some still, today, don't take it seriously enough. The flu is a constant in life like heart disease. Using flu numbers is meaningless as most people know the flu sucks and it's a known commodity rather than something new.

Thank you for saying it better than I could. But yeah exactly!

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
There were roughly 25,000 new cases today in the US. We're still not flattening any curves

New cases aren't meaningful, it is impossible right now to test everyone who either is sick or came into contact with someone who is sick.

Really we bend the curve when the second derivative of the number of deaths starts to come down. That is going to be a while.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You're misreading what Ether_Snake is saying. They are saying that comparisons in general are unhelpful because they open the door to handwaving this away simply by comparing it to other stuff like the flu.

Right. Then you end up with posts like the one that listed abortion as the top killer. I understand why people comparing it to 9/11 but all here understand the implications of covid. But if you use that same language in conversations with people on FB or with your family or coworkers it quickly gets handwaived with whataboutism.

Elrid

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah well if you have to explain it like that and so many people are missing the point you are doin it wrong?

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
A friend of mine had a family member that died from the virus today in North Carolina. I guess it's only a matter of time before someone I personally know is taken by it.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A friend of mine had a family member that died from the virus today in North Carolina. I guess it's only a matter of time before someone I personally know is taken by it.

All of my grandparents and most of my wife's are alive and almost all late 80s.

I don't see a scenario where at least some of them don't get hit with this. I hope not. They mostly don't listen, but seem to all be staying at home. Just hoping that's enough.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone please give me that live map YouTube link? I'm sorry can we also put that in the OP or at least make a threadmark?

Sorry if it's already there and I'm blind.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And yeah the problem with Cuomo shilling some kind of state by state model of resources is that isn't just going to be realistic. This is gonna hit hard everywhere in every major metro area in the US in the next 2 weeks. That's where we are at.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User banned (2 months): ignoring staff post; conspiracy theorising, multiple prior bans for ignoring discussion guidelines on this topic
New cases aren't meaningful, it is impossible right now to test everyone who either is sick or came into contact with someone who is sick.

Really we bend the curve when the second derivative of the number of deaths starts to come down. That is going to be a while.

The curve of number of dead relative to the number who recover has been flattening. See Worldometers, they have the graph. That is good news.

But my worry is three things:
1- That the spread is only starting in poor countries, yet it is taking everything and then some to try and deal with this in the developed countries and the later will buy all the medical supplies needed to keep people safe.

2- We still seem to be missing something obvious about why this hasn't been so deadly in Japan, and there has to be a better answer than "they are hiding it".

3- People say this is conspiracy theory but I don't see why: I still think the outbreak of vaping-related lung injury/illness was actually Covid which was simply supercharged if people were vaping with products laced with vitamin-e acetate because it helped the virus bind itself to the lungs. There is still no culprit identified. I'd be really curious to hear from someone who knows more about this stuff if it would have been possible for the virus to not be noticed in those cases because we would not have been looking for it at the time. The symptoms are extremely similar, people end up on ventilators, getting or dying of pneumonia, and even the CT scans of lungs are pretty much showing the same. If that is the case, the CDC would never want to admit they missed this, ever.

abcnews.go.com

Vaping and e-cigarettes: Adding fuel to the coronavirus fire?

Because vaping can cause dangerous lung and respiratory problems, experts say it makes sense that the habit could aggravate the symptoms of COVID-19.

Dozens of studies have also shown damage at the cellular level. Researchers have found that exposing lung cells to e-cigarette vapor decreases the effectiveness of immune cells responsible for fighting pathogens. And bacteria exposed to e-cigarette vapor also appear to become more infectious.

Back in September, the vaping-related illness was spreading like a virus:

The mysterious outbreak of vaping-related lung illnesses has now hit nearly every U.S. state, according to health officials.

Today (Sept. 26), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced that the number of confirmed or probable cases in the outbreak has reached 805 in 46 U.S. states. That's up from 530 cases in 38 states reported last week.

Last edited: