• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am seeing this image being shared all over social media, and I think it's making people believe covid19 is not a big deal. Pretty alarming.

rm8wIu0.jpg

plz ignore Pro Life garbage

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I am seeing this image being shared all over social media, and I think it's making people believe covid19 is not a big deal. Pretty alarming.

rm8wIu0.jpg

Picture is fuckin stupid since Corona is new, and ony a fraction of the world Population has contracted the Virus. We have "only" about 800K people that have contracted the Virus and already 40K People died from it. Now think what would happen, if we would do jack shit and the whole world would get infected. Not even the whole World, let's say 100 Million people get infect.

At a 3% Death Rate, this is 3 Million people, dying from this Virus. The thing is, it won't stop at 100 Million.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
User Warned: Ableist language
Pro lifers: abortions reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Also pro lifers: lol who cares about a new virus which kills thousands every day?

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I really hope the decision never comes up as they stay uninfected or only get mild symptoms. I think a lot of us with parents 70 and up are feeling anxiety over the possibility, but would imagine you even more so. I understand why my last post came off as super insensitive in your case, sorry about that. The disease is a bit of a crapshoot since it seems influenced by genetics, but outside of that high blood pressure seems to be the biggest factor, so I guess stock up on healthy foods if you can.

(Disclaimer my Dr. is not in the medical or biological domain so I know about as much as everyone else)

It's alright, I figured it wasn't meant to come off that way which is why I approached it the way I did.

Again I appreciate all the responses.

Hope you and your loved ones stay safe and healthy.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Is there any place in the US that test people who don't require hospitalization?
Anecdotally I know, but I have friends in both Seattle and NYC who had pretty much all the symptoms of the virus and were told that they can't get tested and should just stay at home. And those two cities are the among the best in the US when it come to testing.
Yes, there are drive-thru testing areas in several states that have the tests if you think you ahve the symptoms. However, in hospital tests are usually for folks that are hospitalized only until more tests roll out. As Chernobyl says "Not Terrible, Not Great" and the Feds could've/should still do a lot more to get drive thrus rolled out nationwide.

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Imagine looking at a list of 10 things that are killing millions of people and feeling self righteous because you only give a shit about one of them

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
moving away from stupid facebook shit

www.cnn.com

Coronavirus is dividing blue cities from their red states

The struggle to contain the coronavirus pandemic has opened a new front in the long-running conflict between blue cities and red states.

My town is in a rural area in a red as fuck State but we're pretty much purple politically (college town). Our Governor has done pretty much jack shit, but our city has shut the fuck down. They even closed Parks, Playgrounds, Basketball Courts and similar public areas this week.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017

rm8wIu0.jpg

Yeah, I'm going to need the receipts. And they included abortions? This looks like right wing misinformation propaganda with a clear message: "Get back to work, corona is nothing. The real killers are those progressive feminists"

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Can't get tested bc of no fever, figured I'd ask here to see if this would be anything concerning.

For about 8 days i've had a cough w/ mucus. no running nose, but headaches and weird vision issues where it hurts a little to focus, and a little bit of dizziness on top of that. One night I had body convulsing chills for about 5 minutes, and it felt like a fever was coming on, but it never did. Overall I feel good right now, just still have a cough. Clinics just say to stay home, which is fine, but my curiosity has me wondering if these symptoms should be concerning.
This virus has a tendency to have everything as its symptoms, so who knows, but the vast majority of cases have fever and Dry cough, not mucus or runny nose, so I don't think you'd fall in the suspicious category.

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
WHO is saying this is unlikely:

"According to current evidence, COVID-19 virus is primarily transmitted between people through respiratory droplets and contact routes.In an analysis of 75,465 COVID-19 cases in China, airborne transmission was not reported."

Also, the 3 hours come from a test in a controlled environment where they actually used a spray to thinly spray the virus in the air. If you cough, breath or sneeze, the droplets are usually bigger and in an uncontrolled environment, the droplets will drop down fairly quickly and won't stay in the air.
I think having over 70k cases evaluated and there was no airborne transmission should be evidence enough.
Of course this does not rule out any airborne transmission but it's something to not worry about too much. Keep your distance should be more than enough to lower the risk to almost 0%.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017

rm8wIu0.jpg
Half that stuff looks made up especially the abortion counts. It quickly falls apart of you actually start looking at daily counts which includes significant mitigation we are on pace to have well over a million deaths this year. Hell look at the graph from New York deaths of flu verses covid-19

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, there are drive-thru testing areas in several states that have the tests if you think you ahve the symptoms. However, in hospital tests are usually for folks that are hospitalized only until more tests roll out. As Chernobyl says "Not Terrible, Not Great" and the Feds could've/should still do a lot more to get drive thrus rolled out nationwide.
There are drive thru tests in Seattle but they don't test you if you just have flu like symptoms.
I mean, I'm sure if you're rich you can get tested, but people who just have the symptoms and don't require hospitalization are told to stay at home.
Is there anywhere in the US where that's not the case?

p.s.
Did you stop watching Chernobyl after that scene?
:p

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018

"According to current evidence, COVID-19 virus is primarily transmitted between people through respiratory droplets and contact routes.In an analysis of 75,465 COVID-19 cases in China, airborne transmission was not reported."

WHO are rarely a good authority on science based data. A lot of the time they lie or downplay things.

What matters is not what WHO says, it's what the studies are saying.

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
don't post "pro life" garbage without a proper warning

or simply just don't post pro life garbage

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Italy's update:
+4053 new positive cases (total 105792)
+837 new deaths (total 12428)
+1109 new recoveries (total 15729)

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
WHO are rarely a good authority on science based data. A lot of the time they lie or downplay things.

What matters is not what WHO says, it's what the studies are saying.
The WHO have some of the world leading experts when it comes to infectious diseases, and more broadly, it is a critical organization that does a lot of important, dangerous work, especially in poor countries.
Republicans are trying to undermine it for dumb political reasons and it needs to stop.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Yeah, I'm going to need the receipts. And they included abortions? This looks like right wing misinformation propaganda with a clear message: "Get back to work, corona is nothing. The real killers are those progressive feminists"

I checked the site, has tickers on the bottom of the page just increasing with some links to sources. Quiclkly checking flu deaths, it looks like they took the median of the CDC's predicted totals and made a factor to increase the ticker off that. Is that site all bs, or not, idk. I don't have the time to check each source they have listed, but it seems fishy, and people seem to be believing it.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Same WHO that said this back in January

Nah, I'm waiting for data from Italy, Spain or NY.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
So I have been taking it easy with checking daily on Covid news, I don't want it to control my life too much. But it's getting worse here in Holland. A friend of mine who has a friend working in the hospital says it's horrible and even patients of which they thought were doing well and expected a full recovery died. Jesus man.

Apparently a few babies even passed away from it in the USA. Horrible. I truly hope these assholes in my city that still treat it like it's something small wake the hell up. We still have people here that say "ah well, I'm young, healthy, I have very little to worry about. If I get it it'll be just a flu." starting to sound to me like that isn't the case no longer.

id.

Oct 27, 2017
This virus has a tendency to have everything as its symptoms, so who knows, but the vast majority of cases have fever and Dry cough, not mucus or runny nose, so I don't think you'd fall in the suspicious category.

I appreciate the responses here, definitely doesn't feel like anything serious but I haven't kept up on the symptoms in a while and I know they are still being learned. If widespread testing were possible I could just get one and eliminate the thought completely, but I guess since it's all mild symptoms anyway and I'm self-isolating there isn't anything better I can do. thank you!

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I checked the site, has tickers on the bottom of the page just increasing with some links to sources. Quiclkly checking flu deaths, it looks like they took the median of the CDC's predicted totals and made a factor to increase the ticker off that. Is that site all bs, or not, idk. I don't have the time to check each source they have listed, it seems fishy, but people seem to be believing it.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017

The us wont be anywhere close to flattening thr curve until a central, federal government reponse is set up and a long term nationwide, military backed lockdown is put into effect. States need to close down weeks ago but the trump admin totally fucked it all up.

The current us reponse dictates a rolling disaster awaits the us as one state recovers whilst another one tanks, 50 times over. Even if tomorrow trump comes out and announces a severe lockdown, a rolling disaster will ensure in many states.

I'm not even thinking about reinfection being spread by the MAGA fucks who think this is all fake news factoring into the above. What a shitshow.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
People are dumb. They don't understand that the other deaths don't disappear and we are still at the beginning.

No.
The point is that it would be much worse if we didn't do something. The numbers are comparatively low because we are actively preventing the spread. This image is just bad logic in general.
People make the same comparisons about y2k. "Oh look it was a hoax". No, we did something about it which is why nothing terrible happened (with the exception of a bunch of lame doomsday movies being created).
People who share like image don't understand the concept of preventative measures.
If we are successful at keeping these numbers low then they will continue to say everything was a hoax even and especially after everything is over.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So Toei studios (Super Sentai and Kamen Rider) have shut down after the new Red Ranger tested positive.

Oct 27, 2017
One step towards flattening the curve is slowing the growth so that it us no longer exponential. We're still on the upswing in the US currently, even if growth is retreating from an exponential factor in a few areas.

Cuomo can't help dunking on his brother during the presser: "...he's strong...not as strong as he thinks..."

Dec 7, 2017
One step towards flattening the curve is slowing the growth so that it us no longer exponential. We're still on the upswing in the US currently, even if growth is retreating from an exponential factor in a few areas.

Cuomo can't help dunking on his brother during the presser: "...he's strong...not as strong as he thinks..."
Hahaha I love this bro thing they've been doing on CNN live the whole time. Just straight up being brothers on TV. It's entertaining

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Seriously, we are at a point where decent people, those who try to respect the opinions of even the ignoramus in normal times, need to step up their game and GET ANGRY.

These fucking idiots who deny science are now killing us. It's time to show them no mercy. There is no place for discussion if your facts deny reality.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Cuomo live again:

9298 new cases in New York State. Deaths up to 1550, meaning 332 in the last day.
AyhCI2O.png

These numbers are scary on many levels. I'm in Quebec and we're almost totally locked down, way more than in the USA. Quebec has 3430 cases and 25 deaths. Population is 8.49M, which would make it the 13th biggest state if it was a US state (to give a per capita sense). Current mortality rate is 0.7% in Quebec, vs 2% for New York. There's way more infected people that haven't been tested in the US and it feels like lots of states are not taking it seriously and hoping it will just go away on its own.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously though, I still have a few people I know that send me the same "x people die every day by traffic accidents" BS. How does this make "even more people are dying now because of this new virus" less bad?!
You should ask them how many people are dying in car accidents now that there is a lockdown.