• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
... I mean I know it's pretty obvious but your healthcare systems seem pretty fucked up in more ways than 1.
Yup.
America is one of the only first would countries where getting the medical help you need to save your life can in return ruin your life with debt.

And the GOP has done such a good job brainwashing people into thinking the system is good that it's a huge pain to even explain to people how losing more of their paycheck to taxes, but not having to pay for healthcare out of pocket anymore, can get them more money.

How a system that could cover your medical needs for little to no extra cost beyond your taxes won't result in you paying more than their already high co pays and prescription costs.

It's going to be a long fight to fix the healthcare system in America... if there are any positives from this virus, it may just speed up the process of convincing people that things could be better if everyone could have access to healthcare without needing a job.

But alas, my fellow Americans managed to vote in Trump... so even that might be a hard point to get too as people don't seem to learn.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I'm not trying to freak out but I went back into work tonight after a 4 day break and was told my assistant manager's niece is one of the positives for our town. She shops in my store 3-4 times a week so we've all interacted with her. We are 1 of the 2 stores in our area where most of the town shops so we knew it was an eventuality, we just didn't expect it so soon.

Our district manager doesn't really care how small the town is or the fact that everyone shops in our store and we'll be staying open until actual staff tests positive.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Experts in similar fields looking at the data and see if it's been analyzed properly, if the statistics are right, check up on experimental designs, if the right controls were used etc.
Okay, so its like editing in a Liberal Arts/Legal journal?

I thought they redid the experiment, but looking back that doesn't make any sense

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
As well as recreating the experiment to see if the results are the same. Within reason and sometimes this means crunching stats and data.

Also, I am now getting really worried that as things get better, people will stop giving a fuck about isolating and we will have flare ups.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying to freak out but I went back into work tonight after a 4 day break and was told my assistant manager's niece is one of the positives for our town. She shops in my store 3-4 times a week so we've all interacted with her. We are 1 of the 2 stores in our area where most of the town shops so we knew it was an eventuality, we just didn't expect it so soon.

Our district manager doesn't really care how small the town is or the fact that everyone shops in our store and we'll be staying open until actual staff tests positive.
From what I gather unless she sneezed on you or you spent 15 minutes talking to her any viral load she shed is not enough to get you sick. It seems sustained contact of more than 15-30 minutes, sneeze or cough (or a very spitty speaker) or and this is the big one I think. You touched a contaminated surface then touched your face

anamika

May 18, 2018
Okay, so its like editing in a Liberal Arts/Legal journal?

I thought they redid the experiment, but looking back that doesn't make any sense

I am not sure what editing for a liberal arts/legal journal involves, but here it's looking at whether the data was collected in the right manner, whether all variables were taken into consideration when designing the experiment, whether the trial group is large enough for example, whether the statistics (errors, mean values, no. of experiments done etc.) is right, whether the experiment was done in the right manner, how it compares to results from previous experiments etc. If these things are all correct, then it means that the final conclusion to those experiments are also right and hence the study becomes verified and authentic.

Oct 7, 2018
USA
I think Democrats in the US should announce a plan to pay off up to 100k in student loans for any healthcare worker or first responder and provide a 1M dollar supplemental government life insurance plan (good for the next 2 years) free of charge which would pay out on top of any plan that health care workers are already signed up for through their own insurance coverage.

For those health care workers with no student loans or any who choose to opt out of the loan repayment they should be given a one time $20k tax credit on next year's return.

This would also be offered to any health care workers who are coming out of retirement to assist.

These people are putting their lives on the line without the proper protective gear to keep all of us alive and healthy,they should be rewarded.

It's all well and good to have the cheering at certain times of day and all the well wishes but we need to do something tangible for these people, many of whom will be dealing with mental issues for the rest of their life over what they are going through right now.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Holy shit. Got details?

Sorry, we have a tad too many pages , i fear the person whom posted the tweet did not recopy the text... it was a patient from the USA taking a capture of the bill he got from the hospital after having recovered from covid-19 and being discharged ... i think it was about a week ago :(

Sure, there can be negotiations with the hospital afterwards, and maybe the government will subscribe to a global insurance for the entirety of USA citizens exclusively for COVID-19 (if things touch too many of the voting base... i guess it could happen, right ?)... still that's a steep bill, specially if all you have in bank is a month worth of salary with rent to pay, food to purchase for the rest of the family and loans running.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think Democrats in the US should announce a plan to pay off up to 100k in student loans for any healthcare worker or first responder and provide a 1M dollar supplemental government life insurance plan (good for the next 2 years) free of charge which would pay out on top of any plan that health care workers are already signed up for through their own insurance coverage.

For those health care workers with no student loans or any who choose to opt out of the loan repayment they should be given a one time $20k tax credit on next year's return.

This would also be offered to any health care workers who are coming out of retirement to assist.

These people are putting their lives on the line without the proper protective gear to keep all of us alive and healthy,they should be rewarded.

It's all well and good to have the cheering at certain times of day and all the well wishes but we need to do something tangible for these people, many of whom will be dealing with mental issues for the rest of their life over what they are going through right now.
I agree with this 100%

They are the front lines and yet they are being yanked around al over the place when it comes to procedures, pay, hours, and expectations. It's absurd.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Yup.
America is one of the only first would countries where getting the medical help you need to save your life can in return ruin your life with debt.

And the GOP has done such a good job brainwashing people into thinking the system is good that it's a huge pain to even explain to people how losing more of their paycheck to taxes, but not having to pay for healthcare out of pocket anymore, can get them more money.

How a system that could cover your medical needs for little to no extra cost beyond your taxes won't result in you paying more than their already high co pays and prescription costs.

It's going to be a long fight to fix the healthcare system in America... if there are any positives from this virus, it may just speed up the process of convincing people that things could be better if everyone could have access to healthcare without needing a job.

But alas, my fellow Americans managed to vote in Trump... so even that might be a hard point to get too as people don't seem to learn.
Yep damned shame. Math is hard for some people and we also are not good at seeing long term benefits of things like that. Nobody expects to get sick so they like their little company plan and don't care about the rest of it. As you said, hopefully this will enlighten some but I am doubtful. People should not be tied to a job for their health care and Cobra is a joke.

In a country with so many small business and self-employed workers you would think that would help

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Yup.

Just to contrast Australia recently just foot the bill to keep private hospitals and private healthcare workers integrated into the public system response to the virus.

www.theguardian.com

Australian government will pay half to integrate private hospitals into Covid-19 response

Health minister Greg Hunt says private hospitals must retain staff during coronavirus pandemic, since the state is underwriting their viability

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Yep damned shame. Math is hard for some people and we also are not good at seeing long term benefits of things like that. Nobody expects to get sick so they like their little company plan and don't care about the rest of it. As you said, hopefully this will enlighten some but I am doubtful. People should not be tied to a job for their health care and Cobra is a joke.

In a country with so many small business and self-employed workers you would think that would help
we really need to do better at teaching people math...
even with the virus and explaining people how exponential curves work many people still don't seem to grasp it.
When I tell people that Florida alone will have 100k cases by the end of April a number of people seem to think I'm crazy, when I know I'm really low balling that number given how poorly Florida is handling the situation :/

Just to contrast Australia recently just foot the bill to keep private hospitals and private healthcare workers integrated into the public system response to the virus.

www.theguardian.com

Australian government will pay half to integrate private hospitals into Covid-19 response

Health minister Greg Hunt says private hospitals must retain staff during coronavirus pandemic, since the state is underwriting their viability
In America we have a bill to help people held up for days because the dems thought it was a bad idea to basically let 500 billion in aid be a blank check that isn't followed (and it was) only to have the GOP turn around and go... yeah... we only let you have that because we are going to illegally ignore it anyway and we stacked the system so much no one will stop us :/

Our government only really cares about how it can profit off the people, not about the people.

But I mean we didn't need this virus to know that, we just needed to look at our for profit prisons, our workers rights (well lack there of) our lack of vacation days, our lack of holidays ect to know that the average person is nothing more than a replaceable meaningless cog to most of those in power.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Fairly sobering thread from a doctor on the frontlines in NYC. This part in particular is something I've wondered myself. In the U.S., the deaths are going to impact everyone in a personal way before this is all over.

It is also hard not to see this over and over from doctors and be slightly alarmed.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
The place I order gloves from for auto work still has a few in stock if you don't mind ordering in bulk. Maybe split it with some friends

zoomget.com

1st Choice Light Indigo Nitrile Exam Disposable Gloves (Case of 1000)

gloves;nitrile gloves;latex gloves;rubber gloves;disposable gloves;gloves disposable;glove;mechanix gloves;work gloves;black gloves;cleaning gloves;medical gloves;mechanic gloves;cooking gloves;latex free gloves;nitrile gloves medium;gloves disposable latex free;nitrile gloves large;plastic...
zoomget.com

1st Choice Blue Nitrile Industrial Disposable Gloves (Case of 1000)

gloves;nitrile gloves;latex gloves;rubber gloves;disposable gloves;gloves disposable;glove;mechanix gloves;work gloves;black gloves;cleaning gloves;medical gloves;mechanic gloves;cooking gloves;latex free gloves;nitrile gloves medium;gloves disposable latex free;nitrile gloves large;plastic...
Thanks

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Belgian funeral sector says March is a slightly below average month in terms of deaths. So the number of Corona deaths so far is compensated by less deaths due to other causes.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
But the US does have public hospitals.
With a lot of asterisks, yes. Services like VA are highly-specific and don't apply to the vast majority of the population.

Belgian funeral sector says March is a slightly below average month in terms of deaths. So the number of Corona deaths so far is compensated by less deaths due to other causes.
Obviously the solution to COVID-19 is to ramp up non-coronavirus deaths to make sure that COVID-19 doesn't become the leading cause. Problem solved!

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
we really need to do better at teaching people math...
even with the virus and explaining people how exponential curves work many people still don't seem to grasp it.
When I tell people that Florida alone will have 100k cases by the end of April a number of people seem to think I'm crazy, when I know I'm really low balling that number given how poorly Florida is handling the situation :/

In America we have a bill to help people held up for days because the dems thought it was a bad idea to basically let 500 billion in aid be a blank check that isn't followed (and it was) only to have the GOP turn around and go... yeah... we only let you have that because we are going to illegally ignore it anyway and we stacked the system so much no one will stop us :/

Our government only really cares about how it can profit off the people, not about the people.

But I mean we didn't need this virus to know that, we just needed to look at our for profit prisons, our workers rights (well lack there of) our lack of vacation days, our lack of holidays ect to know that the average person is nothing more than a replaceable meaningless cog to most of those in power.
Yes. Damn. Now I'm really depressed about the state of the US. What a disaster exactly as you listed. It's astounding how people still think the GOP is out for it's citizens. All they care about is making corporations bigger and making sure abortion is made illegal to keep the base happy. They pretty much ignore the rest of it.

I'm hoping that when we get through this that enough people wake up a bit to be sure this administration is out of office. Not that much will change so long as Congress is split.

my heart goes out to all of those who have or will experience loss at this terrible time and my thanks goes out to all of our health care professionals putting it on the line for us. We all deserve better.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Yes, dead people don't get tested for covid.

Isn't that the case in the U.K. too? The terminology used is specifically "people who have died after testing positive for coronavirus". Which implies that people who die outside of hospital or before being tested aren't counted.

Last edited:

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

We are testing 500 to 600k a week now in Germany and even all of those in contact with an infected person, as well as those who only showed mild symptoms where tested from the start of the pandemic unlike what other country's did, i highly doubt we miss a lot of deaths from covid at this point.

Last edited:

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Isn't that the case in the U.K. too? The terminology used is specifically "people who have died after testing positive for coronavirus"

Over here, in France, in the hospital, the dead are counted as covid-19 deaths even if there's an important co-morbidity (severe kidney problems , heart disease etc). People are all tested so they can be dispatched to the proper aisles/decicated hospitals.
Outside of the hospital, in nursing homes, people are tested until they reach 2 persons with covid-19... after 2 detected infection we stop testing and all subsequent deaths are attributed to covid-19 . We should have had the first tally yesterday, we didn't get it but were warned it will be high and make a jump to our reports.
For people dead at home, it will be based on report of symptoms. It should come with 2 weeks lag when it's in place... local bureaucracy being very understaffed because of stay at home.

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany
Isn't that the case in the U.K. too? The terminology used is specifically "people who have died after testing positive for coronavirus"
This is not true. I have seen this claimed without sources in a few fringe areas and on twitter but fact is right now everyone dying to corona linked reasons whether at home, in a hospital or wherever is tested.

Right now counted deaths are:
-People dying from corona at home, in hospitals. (died from)
-People dying with corona even if cause of death was unrelated. (died with)
-Posthum testing for people with symptoms or otherwise death suspected the be corona related.

/German source, statement per RKI
www.br.de

#Faktenfuchs: Wie werden Corona-Todesfälle gezählt?

Wenn bei einem Verstorbenen eine Corona-Infektion nachgewiesen wurde, dann gilt er dem Robert Koch-Institut zufolge als Corona-Todesfall. Auch wenn er möglicherweise wegen einer anderen Ursache gestorben ist. Was genau bedeutet das aber?

Last edited:

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Germany according to RKI:
Total infected: 62k
Total dead: 583
Average age of dead 80, youngest to die was 28
Total recovered: 16.1k

CFR is at 0.8%, they think it's down to early aggressive testing and catching a lot of young people. They think it will go up as more older people get infected.

Last edited:

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Germanys CFR continues to rise every day. Originally they were catching cases early but the cases haven't recovered so the death rate is lagging. The daily death rate is over 2% now and originally they were at a total .25% death rate and they are almost past 1%. While it shouldn't be anywhere near Italy it will still rise significantly.
Daily death rate? What do you mean?

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Also apparently there is some cases in italy being reported that the virus not only causes pneumonia but also attacks the heart muscles.

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So whats the best way to build a mask that's also easy and affordable? I have tried the caffee filter way, it looks a bit dorky but that shouldn't be important, of course. Still, I'm feeling like a pest doctor with it.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
So whats the best way to build a mask that's also easy and affordable? I have tried the caffee filter way, it looks a bit dorky but that shouldn't be important, of course. Still, I'm feeling like a pest doctor with it.

I find this pretty cool

youtu.be

DIY FACE MASK from old clothes in 2 ways - Washable & Reusable face mask - No sewing machine

Hi everyone, It's Jess here and welcome back to my channel. It's my extra video for this week. I think I should do it. Because it might be helpful for some o...

uzipukki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wouldn't be respiratory distress the cause of the cardiac arrest? I mean breathing difficulties can mean extra pressure on the heart?
This and also, it's not unheard of for illnesses to affect the heart muscle. I'm not comparing corona to influenza, but from what I know, in some cases influenza can cause inflammation of the heart muscle. Correct me if i'm wrong.
I wouldn't go as far as to say that Corona "attacks" the heart muscle. It seems it can cause heart complications possibly.

uzipukki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finnish health authorities just reported that the number of new infections have halved from saturday. While I do acknowledge that Finland should've done a better job at testing everybody, not just those who require hospitalization, this is good news nonetheless.