• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last day we had two consecutive drops in cases per day worldwide was March 2nd, before it started really taking off in non china countries. With germany, italy, and new york dropping theres a chance we could have two consecutive drops again. Hopefully thats a sign of growth slowing. Not saying we've peaked yet, but hopefully it means we arent growing day to day at the same rate as before.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So, worldwide sanctions on China? Please? Because this is just beyond the pale.

www.news.com.au

Chinese wet markets still operating

Warning: Graphic
EOX_aTJW4AEDGfg

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
So, apologies if it's been talked to death and I haven't noticed, but how are other countries faring when it comes to unemployment? Is it anywhere near as dire as our late-capitalism dystopia in the US?

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
data from european countries in the last 2 days have been encouraging (new cases) but I think last weekend of tests (saturday and sunday) also showed some outliers. Hopefully it finally sets a downward trend as the lockdowns become more and more effective.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Bulletin for the
French situation:
44450 confirmed cases + 4276 in 24 H (big bump due to the ramp up of testing capabilities)
20946 hospitalized + 1592 in 24 H
5107 in intensive care + 475 in 24 H
3024 dead + 418 in 24 H

We don't have the deceased for nursing/care homes...we where supposed to get them...

Last edited:

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
That asshole pastor that held that mega church service on the outskirts of Tampa, just got an arrest warrant issued for his stupidity. Glad our city/county is taking this shit seriously and holding people accountable for putting people at risk for the sake of making a buck.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
Wet Markets should be restricted/super controlled or outright banned (World wide, not just China!) ... but heavy restrictions would be more likely since they are essential to income for so many.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just woke up today with a long period of dry coughing. A huge headache, tiredness and constantly feeling dehydrated.

Where am I on the symptoms list?

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
The source of this reporting is a daily mail article that this Australian outlet stuck unrelated pictures of bats from Indonesia and dogs from the Yulin dog festival.
I would wait on better reporting.

There was a segment earlier today from Wuhan on french TV, the supposed source market was still closed.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
most of Asia got hit by SARS too, they learned from it

South Korea didn't get hit by SARS much, but they did have a MERS outbreak in 2015, which is why they jumped on this as fast and as hard as they did.

That asshole pastor that held that mega church service on the outskirts of Tampa, just got an arrest warrant issued for his stupidity. Glad our city/county is taking this shit seriously and holding people accountable for putting people at risk for the sake of making a buck.

Good, lock the fucker up.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
yWy435N.png

Polish joke of a president just stated during an internet based Q&A session that if you can go grocery shopping, you can go vote in upcoming presidential election.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There was a segment earlier today from Wuhan on french TV, the supposed source market was still closed.
I think there is zero chance that this particular market will have any type of that shit moving forward, it wouldn't surprise me if it will be shut down completely, I would imagine most people in Wuhan would prefer to go shopping in other places.
They already rolled new regulations, the question is how well this will be enforced nationwide, especially in the more rural and poor parts of China.
I would imagine that they will try very hard though, that pandemic was pretty damn traumatic in China, and no one wants to go through that again.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
ITT: Person who's never been to a country outside of the West yells at non-Westerners to stop being poor and ordinate higher standards

China does need to regulate but get your shit together. People in the rest of the world, not just China, not just Asia, are all buying their meats from markets like this because there's no other alternative.
I have definitely been outside of the West, jerk.

It's the animal trading bullshit that has to stop. Maybe the alternative is that we all stop eating meat?

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just woke up today with a long period of dry coughing. A huge headache, tiredness and constantly feeling dehydrated.

Where am I on the symptoms list?

You're far enough into the COVID-19 symptoms list that you need to seriously begin keeping track of your temperature and your breathing. It probably wouldn't be premature to reach out to a doctor if you can and establish some plans for what to do next if you develop difficulty breathing. Most people don't get to that point but it wouldn't hurt to know what your next steps should be if it does.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I think there is zero chance that this particular market will have any type of that shit moving forward, it wouldn't surprise me if it will be shut down completely, I would imagine most people in Wuhan would prefer to go shopping in other places.
They already rolled new regulations, the question is how well this will be enforced nationwide, especially in the more rural and poor parts of China.
I would imagine that they will try very hard though, that pandemic was pretty damn traumatic in China, and no one wants to go through that again.

I thought i heard some in China are saying the virus didn't originate from the market.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
China has high population density and a lot of international travel to it. If you infected one person with a contagious flu-like disease in every country, it is statistically almost certain that we would notice the spread of the disease first in China. So chances are in general new diseases emerge throughout the world, but never manage to spread and survive long enough because of lower chance to spread, which limits its ability to survive long enough to reach pandemic levels. When the disease reaches or emerges in China, it's ability to survive rises significantly.

What 11 Billion People Mean for Disease Outbreaks

The explosive growth of the human population—from 2.5 billion to 6 billion since the second half of the 20th century—may have already started changing how infectious diseases emerge

If the wet market is limited to regular domesticated animals the likely hood of random diseases is no where near the same level. Plenty of cities in the world still have wet market without covid19 type of outbreak.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Virginia finally getting a stay-at-home order. I don't know any particulars yet since I can't watch the press conference in real time. Doesn't really affect me since I've been teleworking since mid-month, but I'm hoping it gives my partner cover (or requires) to no longer go into the office.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I thought i heard some in China are saying the virus didn't originate from the market.

It hasn't been "proven", but it is still the best guess since they are still leaning towards Bat/Pagalion. Its largely been based on the Chinese government's word as well. But early rumors also had citizens of Wuhan saying the market was the cause.

It is still entirely possible it was a natural evolution of other strands though. They did confirm it occurred naturally a week or two ago.

Last edited:

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe you're actually dehydrated? The cough associated with the virus itself sounds really brutal, I don't know how bad yours sound....
Enough that my mom a health profession came down to check up on me.

And I've been drinking water like crazy and been blasting the humidifier on me. I've been going to the bathroom every 30-45 minutes. But I still feel dehydrated.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
France has become the 4th country to break 3K deaths total. The US and Iran are looking like the next candidates (the US perhaps today even, if things go poorly enough), with the UK trailing a bit behind.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Enough that my mom a health profession came down to check up on me.

And I've been drinking water like crazy and been blasting the humidifier on me. I've been going to the bathroom every 30-45 minutes. But I still feel dehydrated.
Sorry to hear that, it never hurts to call one of the numbers and they'll tell you if you should come in to get checked, hope you get well soon.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
www.vice.com

General Electric Workers Launch Protest, Demand to Make Ventilators

GE workers who normally make jet engines say their facilities are sitting idle while the country faces a dire ventilator shortage.
General Electric Workers Walk Off the Job, Demand to Make Ventilators
On Monday, General Electric factory workers walked off the job and demanded that the company convert its jet engine factories to make ventilators. Workers protested at GE's Lynn, Massachusetts aviation facility held a silent protest, standing six feet apart. Union members at the company's Boston headquarters also marched six feet apart, calling on the company to use its factories to help the country close its ventilator shortage amid the coronavirus pandemic.

heroes.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It hasn't been "proven", but it is still the best guess since they are still leaning towards Bat/Pagalion. Its largely been based on the Chinese government's word as well. But early rumors also had citizens of Wuhan saying the market was the cause.

It is still entirely possible it was a natural evolution of other strands though. They did confirm it occurred naturally a week or two ago.
Well their government is also blaming the origin of the virus coming from a US military base in China so....

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
www.vice.com

General Electric Workers Launch Protest, Demand to Make Ventilators

GE workers who normally make jet engines say their facilities are sitting idle while the country faces a dire ventilator shortage.

heroes.
Imagine if we actually had a competent President, who gave the order months ago. We would be prepared already, giving allies support, saving thousands of lives, and the economy would be a wartime one, probably less damage in the long run.

If only.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
I have definitely been outside of the West, jerk.

It's the animal trading bullshit that has to stop. Maybe the alternative is that we all stop eating meat?

You have a funny way of showing it and doubly so with your last comment, but we'll get to that. Animal trading...illegal markets, yeah I get you, but what do you mean by animal trading? Slaughtering live animals? If anything that's the most hygienic approach if they're kept separate from already slaughtered meat because the alternative is leaving out pre-slaughtered meat without refrigeration for hours or even days. It's why until the advent of refrigeration cattle ranchers would take their live animals to their place of slaughter.

As for everyone going vegetarian....your workaround for imposing restrictions on the third world is to impose even worse restrictions on the third world? Really? We can't get that shit going here, nevermind countries whose economies have livestock as a cornerstones such as Argentina or South Africa or places that depend on livestock to feed the populace, nevermind the economy.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
What's with the Germany numbers today? Can't be right.
I generally don't trust numbers until the next day. That said...

They've been shut down for two weeks already... so improvements wouldn't be out of the question. Especially considering that they did this when their per capita numbers were a lot lower than they were in most other countries that locked down. The earlier you locked down, the better your odds are of turning it around sooner.

Nov 1, 2017
FYI: The Diamond Princess cruise ship has finished its mandatory quarantine (#ARIGATOJAPAN ❤️)

slide_sp.jpg

Total Cases : 712
Total Deaths : 12
Total Number of Passengers and Crew Members : 3,711

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
You have a funny way of showing it and doubly so with your last comment, but we'll get to that. Animal trading...illegal markets, yeah I get you, but what do you mean by animal trading? Slaughtering live animals? If anything that's the most hygienic approach if they're kept separate from already slaughtered meat because the alternative is leaving out pre-slaughtered meat without refrigeration for hours or even days. It's why until the advent of refrigeration cattle ranchers would take their live animals to their place of slaughter.

As for everyone going vegetarian....your workaround for imposing restrictions on the third world is to impose even worse restrictions on the third world? Really? We can't get that shit going here, nevermind countries whose economies have livestock as a cornerstones such as Argentina or South Africa or places that depend on livestock to feed the populace, nevermind the economy.
You know what? I'm really not capable of holding a good conversation right now because I'm so messed up and this close to the fucking edge. I cannot deal with this right now. We are fucked. May as well just end it right now because shit is that bad. Everyone is dying due to carelessness in the first place. It's over and I don't see how this can be stopped.

What's even the point in discussing this since a good chunk of us are going to die soon? I don't have a lot of hope.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Imagine if we actually had a competent President, who gave the order months ago. We would be prepared already, giving allies support, saving thousands of lives, and the economy would be a wartime one, probably less damage in the long run.

If only.
When our government fail us, people need to rise up for the occasion.
And if you ask me, when this whole mess is dealt with, people need to rise up, period.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
For those of you who have allergies and Asthma, how are you knowing when to go in for a test when the symptoms of COVID-19 are similar to what we experience during this time of the year?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
For those of you who have allergies and Asthma, how are you knowing when to go in for a test when the symptoms of COVID-19 are similar to what we experience during this time of the year?

when you have a fever I guess? it's funny you say that tho because I literally woke up earlier with shortness of breath, panicked for a second, then remembered "oh wait its that time of the year nvm, business as usual"

Same for my constant runny nose (although that isnt a sympton thankfully)

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT

I have bad seasonal allergies right now and my wife has that plus asthma. It's mainly the chest pressure, fever, and now loss of taste that we look out for. We typically don't cough uncontrollably either from allergies. So if we don't have those then we aren't gonna worry ourselves that much over it.