• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
Italy had less tests in the last 2 days, compared do mid-week

I think it would be better to compare tomorrow's numbers with the ones from saturday.
I'm not sure if Spain and other countries have the same issue during weekend, but I suspect they have

Doesn't it take 3-4 days to get test results? Meaning these numbers would be from tests before the weekend?

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Zerokku

Oct 25, 2017
I work in an industry that kind of needs to continue to exist for the sake of any semblance of an economy (I work in the payments industry for a credit card processor) but we're also getting hit hard because a lot of our business is in the small/medium business segment, aka the part thats getting hit the hardest with the lockdown.

Execs announced a 50-100% cut in salary for them, and 10% for any salaried positions company wide (like mine). And like, a lot of coworkers are freaking out but having followed all this so closely I'm okay with it? We're entering a global recession/depression, I'll take a pay cut if it means I still have a friggin job.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Italy had less tests in the last 2 days, compared do mid-week

I think it would be better to compare tomorrow's numbers with the ones from saturday.
I'm not sure if Spain and other countries have the same issue during weekend, but I suspect they have
Cumulative total of tests:
-today: 477359
-March 29: 454030
-March 28: 429526
-March 27: 392079
-March 26: 361060
-March 25: 324445

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Are there any plans for what to do with people who test positive for antibodies? Those people should be immune so IMO they should get special exceptions for whatever rules the country has in place surrounding the virus.

No details on this yet. I think it's still to early to say whether antibodies = immune. It might just mean it takes more virus to get it again.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
NO NO NO. This shit needs to stop. These markets should never EVER be allowed to open again. Shut them down, arrest everyone selling. I don't care. Between this shit and the Chinese government, China is screwing over the whole world. They must be stopped.

That thread was shut down because the source was Daily Mail.

VikingJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
NO NO NO. This shit needs to stop. These markets should never EVER be allowed to open again. Shut them down, arrest everyone selling. I don't care. Between this shit and the Chinese government, China is screwing over the whole world. They must be stopped.
Again, the source of this article is the Daily Mail which is infamous for their sensationalist and inaccurate reporting. This source should not be trusted at all.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Correct me if I'm wrong but this does not seem like just a china thing.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Meanwhile at my work (steel foundry) we are drowning in orders, but we are having issues with materials that are delivered from Italy.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then they should be shutdown everywhere. These types of markets are awful.

Have you ever been in a wet market?

Most of them are very similar to farmer market that also sell meat, nothing exotic or weird.

China already banned wild animal trade (how enforcement is something we will see how will progress), they never spoke about banning wet market because mostly they are ok.

Plus they are across the entire Asia. It's not just a Chinese thing.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Agreed.

I think the difficulty going forward will be how to shut them down. It isn't only China, but countries like Thailand, Cambodia and Laos all use somewhat similar markets (but not all with living animals together with meat, but still unhygienic). It is so much of a cultural thing it will be hard to implement. I'm not sure what all these places will do.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Most of them are very similar to farmer market that also sell meat, nothing exotic or weird.

China already banned wild animal trade (how enforcement is something we will see how will progress), they never spoke about banning wet market because mostly they are ok.

There certainly seems to be enough of them engaging in super unsanitary practices. Clearly some markets are not being held to acceptable standards not to mention illegal trading that has still occurred despite the ban. Either ban them or regulate them. It seems risky to do anything else.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There certainly seems to be enough of them engaging in super unsanitary practices. Clearly some markets are not being held to acceptable standards not to mention illegal trading that has still occurred despite the ban. Either ban them or regulate them. It seems risky to do anything else.
I am afraid the logistics of this are not so simple.

I spent about a month living in North Eastern Thailand in a small rice farming village a few years ago. The closest city didn't even know this village existed. But in the village, they had big markets every afternoon where people would go and buy produce, meat etc. So, families would bring pigs and chickens they slaughtered and sell it them to people for their nightly meal. It was absolutely unhygienic, there was no ice/cooling or anything like that. Just meat on hooks in the sun, with flies and shit everywhere (I still shopped there myself when I was there, there was no other option and thankfully I never got sick). But what can we do for a remote community like that? We can't just say "stop fucking buying your shit there" even if we want to, because where else will they go when that is literally the only way they buy food each day?

Again, I totally agree with you and think these markets need to go away forever. We will need to work on the logistics of how to actually make that happen and what we can do about supply chains, how all these farmers will make an income if they can't sell at markets and things like that.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am afraid the logistics of this are not so simple.

I spent about a month living in North Eastern Thailand in a small rice farming village a few years ago. The closest city didn't even know this village existed. But in the village, they had big markets every afternoon where people would go and buy produce, meat etc. So, families would bring pigs and chickens they slaughtered and sell it them to people for their nightly meal. It was absolutely unhygienic, there was no ice/cooling or anything like that. Just meat on hooks in the sun, with flies and shit everywhere (I still shopped there myself when I was there, there was no other option and thankfully I never got sick). But what can we do for a remote community like that? We can't just say "stop fucking buying your shit there" even if we want to, because where else will they go when that is literally the only way they buy food each day?

Again, I totally agree with you and think these markets need to go away forever. We will need to work on the logistics of how to actually make that happen and what we can do about supply chains, how all these farmers will make an income if they can't sell at markets and things like that.
As that part of the world develops we can phase them out. But it would be important to take into account the nutrition aspects of shutting markets like this down. You are right in that its a lot of people livlihoods

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda paranoid. Was just at the store and this woman didn't look great, couldn't tell if it was drugs or sickness but she got close and kind of breathed on me. Thats a super low risk of transfer right? Not a cough or sneeze or even talking. just a breath. Washed my hands afterwords and it was literally one breath.

She didn't look great which has got me paranoid. Anxiety rules!

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
Oh, well that damn well better be the case. I swear to god, that type of market should not be allowed every again. Just the thought of it boils my blood.

We need to be wary about our response to reports of "wet markets" being open, or calling for them to be shut down. It's MUCH more complicated than just shutting the markets down and nations need to take measured responses that won't harm local populations and economies.

H3llR8iser

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit at that picture of dead bodies inside a truck in NYC. I'm not gonna link the picture but if anyone interest search Mariam Elder twitter. Be warned.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit at that picture of dead bodies inside a truck in NYC. I'm not gonna link the picture but if anyone interest search Mariam Elder twitter. Be warned.
Wild that we are like a few days/weeks out from The Division

Here is her twitter but a tweet that gives some hope.

twitter.com

Miriam Elder on Twitter

“Friend sent this pic of the USNS Comfort arriving in NYC, as seen from the Financial District”

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
New York State up to 66,497 cases, 6984 in the last day, 2nd drop in a row
1218 deaths total, 253 in the last day. New deaths per day almost doubled compared to March 27th.
Fns0bGn.png

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
But testing is actually up:

hmm? doesn't look like it
€dit: surely that isn't the tests per day? rather the cumulative testing done to this date.

-today: 477359 23,329
-March 29: 454030 24,504
-March 28: 429526 37,447
-March 27: 392079 31,019
-March 26: 361060 36,615
-March 25: 324445

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Wet market is pretty much integrated to many people life, not just in China. A blanket ban will face lots of resistance.

Live wild animal trade though can go to hell.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017

While I think wet market is okay, the problem with China is how they regulate and in turn ending up domesticating wild life animals. About 4 minutes into this Vox video.

www.vox.com

Why new diseases keep appearing in China

Why Covid-19 was bound to happen.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For those wondering about Japan's number, this article was posted a few weeks back, but it's probably still very relevant:

asiatimes.com

Japan’s winning its quiet fight against Covid-19

France, Italy and parts of the United States are in lockdown. Streets are silent, shops are shut, fear reigns. It’s a grim Covid-19 spring. But not so in Japan. As the weather warms up, peop…

Pneumonia has been a leading cause of death in Japan, notably because aspiration pneumonia is increasingly common in elderly people. As of 2014, the over-65s have been eligible for free, but non-mandatory vaccination against one form of pneumonia. Since 2017, mortality numbers have dramatically declined.

In 2018, pneumonia went from the third most common cause of death for Japanese of all ages to number five. The decline may be due to the way the Ministry of Health tabulates the data, but the use of new medicines and widespread use of CT (computed tomography) scans to catch pneumonia early have certainly contributed to cutting fatalities.

When it comes to CT scanners, Japan may have the most diagnostic imaging devices in the world – the number per 100,000 people is 101. Australia, with 44, is a distant second. In addition, according to the Center for Disease Control, CT scanners are wonderfully adept at finding "ground glass opacities" – a technical term for hazy patches that indicate viral pneumonia, such as Covid-19.

[...]

"Ask yourself, 'What is the value of wisdom when it brings no benefit to those who are the wiser?' Most of the infected will recover on their own, thanks to their own immune systems. We need to first take care of those whose immune systems are failing them, or the health care system itself will fail."

That appears to have kept the medical sector from being overwhelmed.

However, one tantalizing possibility – that the vaccination program for pneumonia which Japan has been enacting for the elderly since 2014 may be acting as a shield against Covid-19 – has not yet been scrutinized.

"Frankly, I have not considered it," said the official.

Hana-Bi

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So what's with the numbers in Germany? Thought the numbers would rise this Monday because of the weekend but it's kinda super low right now?

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For those wondering about Japan's number, this article was posted a few weeks back, but it's probably still very relevant:

asiatimes.com

Japan’s winning its quiet fight against Covid-19

France, Italy and parts of the United States are in lockdown. Streets are silent, shops are shut, fear reigns. It’s a grim Covid-19 spring. But not so in Japan. As the weather warms up, peop…

The number of ICU beds in japan is a order of magnitude bigger then most other country. (by capita)

Plus they also have many of those fancy machine that can completely substitute the lungs even when ventilator fails, like again one order of magnitude bigger than the others country.

Sep 14, 2019
It can be fined in france as well, but people keep doing it even when there are dog bags freely available in some blocks.
A former colleague of mine used to do it, and his answer was "it's natural, look where you step" ... so... there... even if they expect people to look at their feet all the time... they still do not think there are blind people whom don't have the luxury to watch where they walk.
If you cannot do otherwise, teach your pets to poop in the gutter.

I'm thinking of putting a bag dispenser by my house on a tree so people can just get a baggy to clean up after their doggies.

Anyway, that's off-topic.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
While I think wet market is okay, the problem with China is how they regulate and in turn ending up domesticating wild life animals. About 4 minutes into this Vox video.

www.vox.com

Why new diseases keep appearing in China

Why Covid-19 was bound to happen.

China has high population density and a lot of international travel to it. If you infected one person with a contagious flu-like disease in every country, it is statistically almost certain that we would notice the spread of the disease first in China. So chances are in general new diseases emerge throughout the world, but never manage to spread and survive long enough because of lower chance to spread, which limits its ability to survive long enough to reach pandemic levels. When the disease reaches or emerges in China, it's ability to survive rises significantly.

What 11 Billion People Mean for Disease Outbreaks

The explosive growth of the human population—from 2.5 billion to 6 billion since the second half of the 20th century—may have already started changing how infectious diseases emerge

The sheer number of people, their interactions with animals and ecosystems, and the increase in international trade and travel are all factors that will likely change the way humanity deals with preventing and treating epidemics, experts say. In fact, the unprecedented growth of the human population in the second half of the last century — growing from 2.5 billion to 6 billion — may have already started changing how infectious diseases emerge.

"There's a strong correlation between the risk of pandemic and human population density. We've done the math and we've proved it," said Dr. Peter Daszak, a disease ecologist and the president of Eco Health Alliance, who examined the link in a 2008 study published in the journal Nature.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Chicago resident here. I went for a walk down Milwaukee blvd yesterday, just to get out of the house.

The streets were quite empty. I saw a few interesting things, took pics.

EUTypxlXkAYg96G

EUX9hgVWAAY6qgf

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
DeSantis finally issued a stay at home order, for counties who were already under one because the mayors did their job.

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
Danish PM: Can't give details on which industries will be opened up first but it is certain that in the beginning (if they open up) all industries that can work from home should continue to do so.

That is a great idea for any country opening up when things look better.

Yes, I hope that when the different countries start their activity again they will try to keep the people that can WFH. Is the easiest way to control the contagions.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017

ITT: Person who's never been to a country outside of the West yells at non-Westerners to stop being poor and ordinate higher standards

China does need to regulate but get your shit together. People in the rest of the world, not just China, not just Asia, are all buying their meats from markets like this because there's no other alternative.