• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
10:46 a.m.: Ontario reports 351 new cases of COVID-19 cases, bringing the provincial total to 1,706. It's the largest single-day increase since the province started reporting numbers when the outbreak began.

Yikes.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Chile is at 2.449 cases, test are increasing so we will probably see real-er numbers these days. We are bracing ourselves

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As we're discussing in its own dedicated thread:

www.resetera.com

Hungarian prime minister Orban uses COVID-19 as pretense to have Enabling Act passed by parliament COVID

Yes, that is unfortunately a very apt comparison: Coronavirus: Hungary government gets sweeping powers More at the link: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52095500 For reference, the Enabling Act of 1933: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enabling_Act_of_1933

The alt-right government in Hungary led by Viktor Orban issued an Enabling Act, which allows the government to bypass any law or rule at will with the excuse of the emergency in place. Also no protests, no elections, no referendums, nothing can be done by anybody but them for now. They also have specified no date of ending for this scenario, so they probably will not suspend this when the virus eases off. Keep in mind that their state of emergency issued in 2015 for the migrant crisis was not lifted to this day. The Hungarian government used this virus as an excuse to seal the deal and become a complete dictatorship, after a decade of fast tracking towards it. The country's currency is also reaching record lows in terms of value, having lost about 12% of its value in a year.

1 EUR to HUF - Euros to Hungarian Forints Exchange Rate

Get the latest 1 Euro to Hungarian Forint rate for FREE with the original Universal Currency Converter. Set rate alerts for EUR to HUF and learn more about Euros and Hungarian Forints from XE - the Currency Authority.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
South Africa is a disaster waiting to happen. The virus spreads extremely rapidly in rich countries with good housing, sanitation and excellent healthcare.
Now think what will happen to the millions of people living in the townships.
I'm scared af thinking about poorer societies/countries... Africa as a whole should be in huge trouble I guess? What about India and all these other countries. I don't want to think about it, drives me crazy

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
This virus is so weird. Mitchell and Gobert were just cleared and Mitchell essentially was asymptomatic the whole time. Why the wide range of 'reactions' to this virus from different people?

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This virus is so weird. Mitchell and Gobert were just cleared and Mitchell essentially was asymptomatic the whole time. Why the wide range of 'reactions' to this virus from different people?

How it reacts with your genetic code? That's all I can think given how much the symptoms vary and how some people in their 30's and 40's w/out underlying conditions are dying from this.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Probably because officials are right that on average the Virus isn't that deadly but due to the huge amount of people who have it it's exacerbating the cases where it is serious. Reminder Trump has given no caution to this thing and despite touching hands, and being close to other people including Coronavirus holders he's been doing alright. Like the odds are this thing really shouldn't be killing you but the odds of it being serious isn't nothing and there's a bunch of people out there who have this bug

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany
Got released from quarantine today 16 days after testing positive for corona. Feels surreal to go out again but holy hell it was time. Weirdest time of my life. Girlfriend habing to quarantine with me helped. She never got any symptoms which I find weird since I got it from a 2 mins conversation at work.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Got released from quarantine today 16 days after testing positive for corona. Feels surreal to go out again but holy hell it was time. Weirdest time of my life. Girlfriend habing to quarantine with me helped. She never got any symptoms which I find weird since I got it from a 2 mins conversation at work.

Glad you're out the other side. Did you have bad symptoms?

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
What were your symptoms?

moronica

Oct 28, 2017
It's a good thing India hasn't had a serious outbreak of covid yet, because they would be so screwed. The lockdown has paradoxically created ideal spreading conditions as people end up homeless, trapped and running out of essentials... But it would have been the case if it were business as usual anyway with people out and about.

I feel like the migrant camps in US / EU are ticking time bombs too.

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany
Glad you're out the other side. Did you have bad symptoms?
What were your symptoms?

2 days of fever between 39.5 and 40, crazy body aches and dry cough. Came out of nothing from 0 to 100. Third day I felt a lot better and after that it was fine but the coughing took until 2 days ago rocking me through and trough. Couldn't sleep much and had severe chest pains (rib inflammation from coughing, thankfully no pneumonia). Got called and checked upon from the local german health department every morning and from my doctor every 2 days. Worst expiry was really the testing as they used a total of three sticks. Anxiety over the chest pain was wrecking me bad for a few days though.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Danish Prime Minister holding press conference right now.

A glimmer of hope/carrot and stick strategy:

-The numbers are slowly improving showing that the strategy of social distancing and closing of everything but essential businesses is working.
-IF this trend continues for the next two weeks then we will begin fase one of a SLOW reopening of society.
-IF it does NOT continue or worsens, then strichter measures than the current ones will be implemented. Basically "keep up the good work but if you don't then this will continue for a lot longer".

She was very firm on fase one not being opening the borders or having normal conditions yet. It will not be "everyone, go back to work now. It will be very gradual and very slow. And risk groups will still be asked to stay home.

There will be a lot more testing going forward but the health department will not be enough. There will be partnerships with small and big businesses to help wil making testing as broad as possible.

I... don't know if this is good or bad. Very happy about her being firm on "worse numbers = no easing of lockdown". It will really depend on what easing the lockdown looks like though. Personally I think the numbers won't look better after Easter. It's quite possible the govermnent does not expect it to either and by using the carrot of "the path to a return to normalcy" people will be better at taking the proper precautions for the next two weeks which could help flatten the curve. It could be a strategy to get the idiots to act sensibly.

Danish equivalent to Fauci: We're not over it but the virus seems to be under control. We haven't done things differently than the countries who are worse off than us, we just implemented our measures earlier compared to how far along the spread of contagion was. Opening the country completely right after Easter is totally off the table. Then we will be the next US/Italy/Spain. And temper your optimism when you see changes in numbers. Any change in strategy or behaviour by the public won't be felt in the numbers until roughly two weeks later.

Last edited:

Guddha

Sep 5, 2019
I've read a few papers indicating that covid19 causes cytokine storm in some people. In cases where people suddenly go from okay to dire or worse, it appears that their immune systems go into overdrive and mistakenly attack the body. The virus is still the cause for that reaction, but people who don't experience this extreme reaction seem to do much better or experience no symptoms at all. It probably comes down to genetics and individual body chemistry.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
2 days of fever between 39.5 and 40, crazy body aches and dry cough. Came out of nothing from 0 to 100. Third day I felt a lot better and after that it was fine but the coughing took until 2 days ago rocking me through and trough. Couldn't sleep much and had severe chest pains (rib inflammation from coughing, thankfully no pneumonia). Got called and checked upon from the local german health department every morning and from my doctor every 2 days. Worst expiry was really the testing as they used a total of three sticks. Anxiety over the chest pain was wrecking me bad for a few days though.

Damn. Glad you're out the other side!

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Dany1899 maybe you have a source for this?
Hi, I found these two articles. They are related to Bergamo and Brescia provinces, not the full Lombardia.

Bergamo:
www.bergamonews.it

Coronavirus a Bergamo, in una settimana 330 morti, 14 volte in più rispetto a un anno fa - BergamoNews

Nella stessa settimana di marzo del 2019 il Comune di Bergamo registrava 23 decessi, nello stesso periodo di quest'anno siamo a 330 morti: 14 volte in più.
In a single week in the city of Bergamo, 330 people died, 14 times more with respect to the same week last year.

Brescia:
www.ilgiorno.it

Coronavirus, Ats Brescia: "30-50 morti al giorno in più di quelli ufficiali"

"Si tratta di persone che alle quali non è stato fatto il tampone ma che riteniamo essere morte per Covid"
"According to the data from our registry offices in the city, comparing March last year with March 2020, the number of dead has doubled," the mayor of Brescia Emilio Del Bono said.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Danish Prime Minister holding press conference right now.

A glimmer of hope/carrot and stick strategy:

-The numbers are slowly improving showing that the strategy of social distancing and closing of everything but essential businesses is working.
-IF this trend continues for the next two weeks then we will begin fase one of a SLOW reopening of society.
-IF it does NOT continue or worsens, then strichter measures than the current ones will be implemented. Basically "keep up the good work but if you don't then this will continue for a lot longer".

She was very firm on fase one not being opening the borders or having normal conditions yet. It will not be "everyone, go back to work now. It will be very gradual and very slow. And risk groups will still be asked to stay home.

There will be a lot more testing going forward but the health department will not be enough. There will be partnerships with small and big businesses to help wil making testing as broad as possible.

I... don't know if this is good or bad. Very happy about her being firm on "worse numbers = no easing of lockdown". It will really depend on what easing the lockdown looks like though. Personally I think the numbers won't look better after Easter. It's quite possible the govermnent does not expect it to either and by using the carrot of "the path to a return to normalcy" people will be better at taking the proper precautions for the next two weeks which could help flatten the curve. It could be a strategy to get the idiots to act sensibly.
Why wouldn't the numbers look better after Easter? If numbers are improving currently and measures remain in place, there's no reason to expect to numbers to look the same or worse after another couple of weeks TBH. You got a reason for believing so or is it just a feeling of anxiety?

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Why wouldn't the numbers look better after Easter? If numbers are improving currently and measures remain in place, there's no reason to expect to numbers to look the same or worse after another couple of weeks TBH. You got a reason for believing so or is it just a feeling of anxiety?
Probably to be safer. We're seeing that happens when officials don't take this seriously and the consequences that come from it

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
one thing I've noticed in my neighborhood is a lot more dog poop. its like people think there is no one around so they dont need to pick it up

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Italy's update:
+4050 new positive cases (total 101739)
+812 new deaths (total 11591)
+1590 new recoveries (total 14620)

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
the best thing from all this for me is the home office, I don't want go back anymore. Everything I do @ the office I can do @ my home.
I really hope lots of us get to carry on working from home more when things return to "normal". It would be great for peoples well-being, as well as the planet potentially saving companies lots of money too.

I agree with you guys. I'm going to ask for it once the crisis is over, at least one day a week maybe 2.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017

Well, numbers improving is a matter of interpretation. The daily number of new infected is rising. So is the number of deaths and people on respirators and ICU. None of these numbers have dropped. So I guess it's a case of their models having expected much larger numbers than what we are seeing.

That is of course very positive but if this continues we need to see a sharp rise in recoveries to make room for new patients in the hospitals so we don't reach a point where the hospitals are overwhelmed. Luckily we are not near that yet.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017

Glad you and your girlfriend are okay! Hope your post - Corona recovery goes smoothly and you get to enjoy life once more :)

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Danish PM when asked about "what will be opened up first if things are still positive after Easter?"

She can't answer that yet. It will be decided in cooperation with health experts.

SleazyC

Oct 26, 2017
US of A
Did you quarantine yourself from your girlfriend during this time or just assume she had it at that point as well and carried on as normal?

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Italian numbers are stabilizing. New cases around 4-5k for a while now, deaths around 700-900 for many days now. Hopefully we're around the peak now.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Danish Health Minister at the press conference: We will start testing people with light symptoms and people who migh have had COViD to see if there are antibodies in order to track the spread better.

metaprogram

Oct 28, 2017
2 of my favorite musical artists died this week from Covid-19, and it got me to thinking: Should we have a separate thread for musicians, entertainers, public figures, and otherwise well-known personalities who have died from Covid-19? Would this be worth making a separate thread over?

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Our town put up signs reminding people it is a fineable offence to not clean up after your dog. I don't get how people can be so rude.

It can be fined in france as well, but people keep doing it even when there are dog bags freely available in some blocks.
A former colleague of mine used to do it, and his answer was "it's natural, look where you step" ... so... there... even if they expect people to look at their feet all the time... they still do not think there are blind people whom don't have the luxury to watch where they walk.
If you cannot do otherwise, teach your pets to poop in the gutter.

Aaanyway... we are being warned before the official communication in an hour to expect a shock with inclusion of the nursing/care homes.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Danish Health Minister at the press conference: We will start testing people with light symptoms and people who migh have had COViD to see if there are antibodies in order to track the spread better.
Are there any plans for what to do with people who test positive for antibodies? Those people should be immune so IMO they should get special exceptions for whatever rules the country has in place surrounding the virus.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As we're discussing in its own dedicated thread:

www.resetera.com

Hungarian prime minister Orban uses COVID-19 as pretense to have Enabling Act passed by parliament COVID

Yes, that is unfortunately a very apt comparison: Coronavirus: Hungary government gets sweeping powers More at the link: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52095500 For reference, the Enabling Act of 1933: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enabling_Act_of_1933

The alt-right government in Hungary led by Viktor Orban issued an Enabling Act, which allows the government to bypass any law or rule at will with the excuse of the emergency in place. Also no protests, no elections, no referendums, nothing can be done by anybody but them for now. They also have specified no date of ending for this scenario, so they probably will not suspend this when the virus eases off. Keep in mind that their state of emergency issued in 2015 for the migrant crisis was not lifted to this day. The Hungarian government used this virus as an excuse to seal the deal and become a complete dictatorship, after a decade of fast tracking towards it. The country's currency is also reaching record lows in terms of value, having lost about 12% of its value in a year.

1 EUR to HUF - Euros to Hungarian Forints Exchange Rate

Get the latest 1 Euro to Hungarian Forint rate for FREE with the original Universal Currency Converter. Set rate alerts for EUR to HUF and learn more about Euros and Hungarian Forints from XE - the Currency Authority.

The most important thing right now is to help mitigate the virus and we need the governments to run efficiently.

That being said, everyone needs to be very vigilant on the powers the government is giving itself and make sure there are things in place for that power to be relinquished in the future. This virus presents a very real potential for big power grabs.

It's already affecting the primaries. Who knows where we will be come November.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
Italy had less tests in the last 2 days, compared do mid-week

I think it would be better to compare tomorrow's numbers with the ones from saturday.
I'm not sure if Spain and other countries have the same issue during weekend, but I suspect they have

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The most important thing right now is to help mitigate the virus and we need the governments to run efficiently.

That being said, everyone needs to be very vigilant on the powers the government is giving itself and make sure there are things in place for that power to be relinquished in the future. This virus presents a very real potential for big power grabs.

It's already affecting the primaries. Who knows where we will be come November.

The main difference is that the Hungarian government dismantled most checks and balances already in the past 10 years. Free press, judiciary, oppositions, everything that isn't directly them has been enormously damaged these years. A state of emergency with no ending date (!) that suspends all democratic protests, all opposition's chances to do anything (parliament, referendums, etc.), that can also throw into prison anyone who according to them spreads fake news (when they control 90% of the press and it's full of fake news about migrants, Soros, etc.)... this is dictatorial. A government needs to be effective and swift in the case of an emergency, but this is overstepping. Italy, the country with most dead people, didn't go this far, and they've taken a lot of drastic measures. Orban found yet another excuse to step closer to a dictatorship. And that's not okay.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Danish PM: Can't give details on which industries will be opened up first but it is certain that in the beginning (if they open up) all industries that can work from home should continue to do so.

That is a great idea for any country opening up when things look better.