• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
If you want to talk about the situation in China, they still haven't eliminated the risk of asymptomatic carriers in attempts to restart the economy.

www.theguardian.com

Chinese citizens fear catching coronavirus from 'silent' carriers

Asymptomatic people may be infecting others despite officials saying risk of this is low

As for resuming/restarting the economy:
There's an increase in orders to German Engineering firms coming from Chinese customers and while things are moving slowly based on polling info reuters expects that the PMI can rise to 45 this month.

Based on a leaked report there were about ~44000 asymptomatic cases that they tracked. If there are really lots of asymptomatic people running around, then you should still see symptomatic cases being reported as local transmission - since the chance of being asymptomatic is only about 1/3.

The lack of any official number doesn't instill confidence when ti is much needed.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
I get the *intent* of that tweet, but I'm not sure that additionally freaking people out about the testing process is the best approach. Not directed at you, but the person who tweeted it.

I had a ENT to insert a tube-telescope thing in my nose a few times before. It felt a bit weird but not painful nor very uncomfortable.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get the *intent* of that tweet, but I'm not sure that additionally freaking people out about the testing process is the best approach. Not directed at you, but the person who tweeted it.

I saw a similar social media post but it involved some sickle shaped metal thing that I think represented some aspect of intubation.

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
Looks like cheating the number is a fairly universal thing....

Canada does include those die in a nursing home, not sure about community.

yeah this is happening often.
Hmm. Interesting. In Portugal, despite obviously the scales being a lot different than in Spain or Italy, any post-mortem exam that is found to be positive for Covid-19 is added to the tally of the Virus. Doesn't matter if it was at home or the hospital.

But again, so far our Health System isn't crumbling. It's probably getting close to it considering the constant rise in ICU cases and low number of recoveries though.

In the United States (and It might be other places too) the coronavirus deaths are not even counted as coronavirus deaths - many are listed as "cardiopulmonary arrest secondary to septic shock".

so it's hard to measure the impact of all this.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I had a ENT to insert a tube-telescope thing in my nose a few times before. It felt a bit weird but not painful nor very uncomfortable.
I get that. I just know that many people (especially men) are squeamish about being "poked and prodded" for medical purposes and thus avoid the doctor altogether. I can think of a few family members that would see that image and say "fuck that, I'm not getting tested".

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands. Abit down for earlier days. But like said before. Deaths are not from exact 24 hours. Can even be delayed by days etc

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
What's everyone been doing regarding groceries? We went about 2 1/2 weeks ago but we're due for another stockup soon. Getting increasingly worried about trekking out to a grocery store as cases continue to rise.

Looks like there are time slots available for an Amazon Whole Foods delivery. Anyone do this?

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
What's everyone been doing regarding groceries? We went about 2 1/2 weeks ago but we're due for another stockup soon. Getting increasingly worried about trekking out to a grocery store as cases continue to rise.
Switched to Shipt...delivers from Hy-Vee and Target in our area...I figure less contact with surfaces and other people for us. Delivery person brings them to door and we're careful with packaging and washing our hands and such...been very happy with it so far...

elty

Oct 31, 2017
I get that. I just know that many people (especially men) are squeamish about being "poked and prodded" for medical purposes and thus avoid the doctor altogether. I can think of a few family members that would see that image and say "fuck that, I'm not getting tested".

Depends on where you live, but the chance that you will be tested without being sick enough to be hospitalized is getting lower and lower.

My wife's sister in law worked in a hospital. She was coughing and tested, but yet still have no result for a few days. So much for prioritization.

elty

Oct 31, 2017

Looks like there are time slots available for an Amazon Whole Foods delivery. Anyone do this?

I use Instacart. I give the recommended tips, but double it if the order come in reasonably well.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017

Since I can currently afford it I'm doing grocery delivery. We probably would have been able to be okay with no groceries but getting the fresh stuff my wife normally eats has helped out to maintain some level of normalcy.

And I tip the delivery folks very well.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

I put all my stuff in carts on various websites (Kroger, Whole Foods, Meijer, etc). Then I kept hitting refresh close to midnight till I found a reserved time for a pickup. Hopefully I can drive up, have them place stuff in my trunk and drive home. I'll just wipe down everything once in the garage before bringing stuff inside.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
I am getting groceries through Imperfect Foods. I know I am getting a box every Monday and that makes it easy to plan around. It is really slanted towards produce, so we are still using other local services to get bread delivered, and we get a monthly Butcherbox to stock up the freezer on good meat.

Doogdogg

Oct 27, 2017

From my experience, can't get chicken, beef, etc as the stores are sold out before the order is detailed and delivered via online orders. Hope you like fish as they are well stocked.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I am getting groceries through Imperfect Foods. I know I am getting a box every Monday and that makes it easy to plan around. It is really slanted towards produce, so we are still using other local services to get bread delivered, and we get a monthly Butcherbox to stock up the freezer on good meat.
I stopped using Imperfect because two weeks ago the box I ordered was basically barren (which is to be expected and I understood) compared to what I actually ordered. Are orders becoming more accurate now?

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Learned this morning that one our our local suppliers went down due to a positive COVID-19 case at their facility.

The learned one of my program's Quality Control reps went into that supplier last week.

They are 100% getting send home now but now I fear COVID-19 has infected my job.

I'm working from home 60% of the time now but still doesn't sit well with me knowing tomorrow I have to work on site.

Long Island btw, working Defense.

Bärry Blue

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't there a statistic that compared the total deaths in Lombardy before Covid-19 and now, on a weekly basis?
I have a colleague who says that the total deaths didn't increase and I would like to proof him wrong.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
I stopped using Imperfect because two weeks ago the box I ordered was basically barren (which is to be expected and I understood) compared to what I actually ordered. Are orders becoming more accurate now?

Highly depends on where you are located. Some cities are getting shit-all for boxes, where I am at I am still getting good selection.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
It looks like South Africa had become the new epicenter of the pandemic in Africa, overtaking Egypt over the weekend with 1,280 infected. Expected given how many Europeans visit the place. Still, they've managed to limit the deaths to 2 for now.

Jul 18, 2018
Not sure if posted. WHO now saying virus is not airborne. (only in hospitals under special procedures). If true this is great news.

Transmission of SARS-CoV-2: implications for infection prevention precautions

Modes of transmission of virus causing COVID-19
Have to take into account the actual meaning of airborne, which has had different meaning for scientists. Haven't read this WHO article, but does it mention droplet sizes etc being too heavy to be floating in the air or something? Which would not make it "airborne" since it's not suspended in air for long time.

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
Guys. My aunt works at a nursing home. And there's talk that residents have the virus and they aren't requesting testing. Is there a way I can report them to CDC or DoH or some email I can tip off?

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Switched to Shipt...delivers from Hy-Vee and Target in our area...I figure less contact with surfaces and other people for us. Delivery person brings them to door and we're careful with packaging and washing our hands and such...been very happy with it so far...

Any issues with delivery times? I just signed up for a month and all grocery stores in my area have a " Next Delivery - Check back soon" message. Uh oh.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Not sure if posted. WHO now saying virus is not airborne. (only in hospitals under special procedures). If true this is great news.

Transmission of SARS-CoV-2: implications for infection prevention precautions

Modes of transmission of virus causing COVID-19

That has been the saying all along. The virus particle can be suspended in the air, but only under some specific circumstances. Unfortunately people just read the first part and panic.

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
It looks like South Africa had become the new epicenter of the pandemic in Africa, overtaking Egypt over the weekend with 1,280 infected. Expected given how many Europeans visit the place. Still, they've managed to limit the deaths to 2 for now.

South Africa is a disaster waiting to happen. The virus spreads extremely rapidly in rich countries with good housing, sanitation and excellent healthcare.
Now think what will happen to the millions of people living in the townships.

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
MD now has a stay-at-home order. I know we're considered essential, but I'm worried about my Dad as he just came off a heart procedure a few weeks ago.. Seriously considering options to just find a way for us to stay at home for a while.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
seems so unreal to watch twitch streams from 4 weeks ago and the streamer (who isn't an arsehole, rightwing or conspiracy nut) downplaying the virus, etc. "if I get it, I get it".

And chat doesn't disappoint either

tFRAb7Q.png

the last comment....

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
seems so unreal to watch twitch streams from 4 weeks ago and the streamer (who isn't an arsehole, rightwing or conspiracy nut) downplaying the virus, etc. "if I get it, I get it".

And chat doesn't disappoint either

tFRAb7Q.png

the last comment....
I dont know which country "us" is but in case of the US Trump estimated a minimum of 100k people dead, if everything goes right.