• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jack Bauer

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
My fever finally broke after almost three days.

Symptoms have been coming in waves so I'm not letting my guard down. But I'm now in quarantine for two weeks anyway.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to say much this matters, but the US growth rate has reduced the last few days. With inadequate and inconsistent testing, it's hard to say that's meaningful.
Testing is also contracting. We're clearly at the limits of our capacity to test, so a slowdown in growth is not unexpected.

Until we can stop rationing testing (it's near impossible for most people to get tested right now), we're not going to have a true sense of just how rapidly this thing is spreading. We can track hospitalization and death numbers for a better indication of where we're at, but those numbers aren't being consistently provided and are likely not comprehensive as well.

Fei

Oct 25, 2017
Testing is also contracting. We're clearly at the limits of our capacity to test, so a slowdown in growth is not unexpected.

Until we can stop rationing testing (it's near impossible for most people to get tested right now), we're not going to have a true sense of just how rapidly this thing is spreading. We can track hospitalization and death numbers for a better indication of where we're at, but those numbers aren't being consistently provided and are likely not comprehensive as well.

Do you have a source on saying that testing is contracting? We know it's limited and rationed (and variable by state), but I haven't seen anything that would make me think it's been reduced.

I haven't found a good, comprehensive source on testing. Mostly just anecdotal data.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have a source on saying that testing is contracting? We know it's limited and rationed (and variable by state), but I haven't seen anything that would make me think it's been reduced.
The contraction is in growth. You can see historical reported numbers here.

Even those numbers aren't precise, as there is great variability in how numbers are being reported (CA for instance is apparently testing a ton of people that nobody can account for). But with those numbers, growth for yesterday was 2,000 (107K to 109K); the day before it had been 10,000 (98K to 107K), and the day before that 20,000 (77K to 98K).

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I wondered how changing the cutoff of death log plot would affect the positionning...
here it is (today's data, the report #69 of the WHO) :
starting at 90 death or 100 :

coviddeath2kjxi.png

by the way, linear scale:
coviddeathlinearx2kkm.png

Last edited:

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017

Even those numbers aren't precise, as there is great variability in how numbers are being reported (CA for instance is apparently testing a ton of people that nobody can account for). But with those numbers, growth for yesterday was 2,000 (107K to 109K); the day before it had been 10,000 (98K to 107K), and the day before that 20,000 (77K to 98K).

The US as a whole is growing every day? I don't think I'm reading that link wrong. Every day there have been more tests then the day before. I'm not looking at individual states but just the overall picture

edit. Looking at my state, looks like the data is lagging and the hospitalization is way off what the state webpage that they are using as a reference states, so not sure how good this page is

Last edited:

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
The US as a whole is growing every day? I don't think I'm reading that link wrong. Every day there have been more tests then the day before. I'm not looking at individual states but just the overall picture
You're misreading what I wrote.

The rate of growth is slowing down. This correlates with a slowdown in growth of cases that we're seeing right now (if we assume a certain percentage of tests return positive, then when you only run 2,000 more tests today than you did yesterday, growth will not be the same as when you ran 20,000 more tests than the day before).

edit. Looking at my state, looks like the data is lagging and the hospitalization is way off what the state webpage that they are using as a reference states, so not sure how good this page is
The site is legit and being referenced by everyone tracking the progress of the infection here in the US.

You can view how they grade and what data source they use for each state. It is not updated live, so it can lag behind by several hours depending on when their sources report. You can also see their messages on Twitter to read about the problems they're dealing with trying to incorporate and unify all the inconsistent data (since it's all varying by state and even county right now), including why the hospitalization numbers may not look right.

Last edited:

Fei

Oct 25, 2017

That's a great source and you're correct, testing growth clearly slowing. Even if it's not perfect, that's the best tracking I've seen of total testing, thanks!

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
You're misreading what I wrote.

The rate of growth is slowing down. This correlates with a slowdown in growth of cases that we're seeing right now (if we assume a certain percentage of tests return positive, then when you only run 2,000 more tests today than you did yesterday, growth will not be the same as when you ran 20,000 more tests than the day before).

yes I was :) I don't know the math very well to see what the growth percentage is, it's growing at a steady rate 80,90,100,105,110 but yes the average growth from the day before is probably dropping a bit. Although I'm not sure it really matters, people that have symptoms and going to the doctors are getting tested. Nothing will ever show the real number because of people just dealing with it at home (which I assume will be higher in the US anyway because of the ingrained avoidance of doctors due to high costs... which I can bet you will also lead to lower death total due to rural people just dying at home becauseof lack of access), but if they are testing people coming to the doctors at least areas are showing slow downs

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Although I'm not sure it really matters, people that have symptoms and going to the doctors are getting tested.
The problem is that they're not testing. It is being rationed mainly to people who have contact with a known positive, recently traveled to certain countries, or are being admitted to the hospital. We don't have the tests or the resources to run them in sufficient supply, and they take too long to process (results can take upwards of 5 days in some cases!). The people who just get sent home because they're not bad enough to be hospitalized are not being tested, and they're not being counted.

So when we say the growth in cases has contracted, that's largely because we're testing about the same number of people as the day before (which statistically indicates we'll see relatively the same number of positives).

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
Deaths seem to be substantially lower across the U.S. today, although we are still waiting for the PM update from New York. I wonder if that's a good sign or if it's just because it's Sunday.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
Deaths seem to be substantially lower across the U.S. today, although we are still waiting for the PM update from New York. I wonder if that's a good sign or if it's just because it's Sunday.

I'm wondering the same thing. Is it possible that post-mortem testing takes a day longer because labs are doing less testing on Sunday?

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I've stayed away from this thread for mental health reasons. How's Italy and Spain doing. Any news on potential treatments?

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Should we expect another stimulus bill or just UI extension?

you already got a UI extension

USA at 140k. Exploding there. Scary times, moreso with your adminstration.

Real numbers probably around 1.5m.
The US is a huge country with many cities and lots of hospitals. The amount positive is kind of irrelevant if it's spread out enough. Right now a large chunk of that number is NYC and it's surrounding areas, which isn't a good thing.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
you already got a UI extension

The US is a huge country with many cities and lots of hospitals. The amount positive is kind of irrelevant if it's spread out enough. Right now a large chunk of that number is NYC and it's surrounding areas, which isn't a good thing.

This. We are 33 times the size of Italy so you can't compare the two. A better comparison is between New York and Italy.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I've stayed away from this thread for mental health reasons. How's Italy and Spain doing. Any news on potential treatments?

People do their best, it's difficult.
Italy and Spain have to add to the Health fight the fear that Germany and Nederlands (there could be others, i didn't follow the debates) could continue to refuse to put all the coronavirus induced debt into a single european pool.

It's not good for your health... i still put in spoiler for others the daily death increments for Spain and Italy as given by WHO
deathperdaye4j2m.png

On the medical front, at least neighbors help a little by taking a few patients in solidarity, but not nearly enough to prevent the fact they have to choose who to save far too often and for cases they shouldn't have to.
Italy rate of increase should start to lower much more in the coming days... we hope so, personnel is exhausted by the long fight... :( Those who fell sick should be able to rejoin the fight slowly, free of the worry of infection in the medium term.
Spain is a big source of concern... we feel for our friends... it's far from the end on that front :(

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Anyone see this story about Battelle in Ohio inventing a way to reuse masks? DeWine is basically begging the FDA to approve it. And we will need it.

www.dispatch.com

Coronavirus in Ohio: DeWine pleads with FDA to approve Battelle invention for masks

As expected, coronavirus numbers continued to increase in Ohio, with them standing Saturday at 1,406. The state also announced that the Greater Columbus

My wife mentioned this to me last night.

Chicago.