• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
medium.com

Unmasking the Truth: CDC and Hospital Administrators Are Endangering Us All

An opinion piece exposing the revolting truth about current frontline conditions in healthcare.

Unmasking the Truth: CDC and Hospital Administrators Are Endangering Us All

This needs to be read by everyone. As a physician in the middle of this pandemic, all our lives are at greater risk because of this shit.
Repeatedly, workers are reporting that they were belatedly informed of being exposed to a positive COVID-19 patient, up to a week after the lab results were known. Meanwhile, if they contracted the virus but are not yet symptomatic, they have been caring for other patients, likely spreading the virus to them as well. Less ethical administrations are telling their healthcare workers that it is a HIPPA violation to inform them if patients that they previously took care of unprotected, end up resulting positive for the virus. This is untrue, negligent and criminally reckless.
This shit is so true it hurts. As a lab scientist, I'm way more worried that our phlebotomists are going to be an infection vector into the lab rather than any sample. Not because they are careless but rather they're not told who's a PUI and who's not. And obviously there's not enough PPE for treating every patient the same way.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm just thinking about how, with online classes, folks are going to be seeing a timelapse of folks getting the virus. Assuming half the US gets the virus, then in a class of 30, 15 will end up sick. Out of those 15, 3 will end of hospitalized. At least one of those 3 will likely need to go to the ICU, where the survival chances aren't great.

I'm not looking forward to that... I feel like it's almost inevitable that someone in one of my classes this quarter is going to catch the virus and die before all is said and done. Many more are going to get sick, and we're all going to see their symptoms progress over time.

Maybe I'm overthinking things, but I can't see how anybody is going to be able to learn when something like that happens.

OP
OP
wandering

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
One of my med student friends just told me she and other students couldn't get tested even after caring for COVID patients during rotations because of the shortage. Unbelievable.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
One of my med student friends just told me she and other students couldn't get tested even after caring for COVID patients during rotations because of the shortage. Unbelievable.

Tests are still being rationed. My wife couldn't get tested until she had cough AND because she works with high risk patients. (luckily it came back negative) Without any symptom there's no reason to test due to shortage.

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just thinking about how, with online classes, folks are going to be seeing a timelapse of folks getting the virus. Assuming half the US gets the virus, then in a class of 30, 15 will end up sick. Out of those 15, 3 will end of hospitalized. At least one of those 3 will likely need to go to the ICU, where the survival chances aren't great.

I'm not looking forward to that... I feel like it's almost inevitable that someone in one of my classes this quarter is going to catch the virus and die before all is said and done. Many more are going to get sick, and we're all going to see their symptoms progress over time.

Maybe I'm overthinking things, but I can't see how anybody is going to be able to learn when something like that happens.
Unless you have a bunch of people 65+ in your class I don't think you'll see that kind of breakdown.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Unless you have a bunch of people 65+ in your class I don't think you'll see that kind of breakdown.

MD1fvSt.png

*cough*

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Is there any model that gives a reasonable estimate of the number of cases in California? Last I heard there's still ~50K tests that are pending. So the 3-4K reported cases is certainly a great underestimation.

I don't know, but this right here...... this right here. I don't understand how it's going to get that high if most of the state shelters in place.

These projections man. 😕

m.sfgate.com

Study projects coronavirus deaths state by state through early August

New projections done by the University of Washington show a startling state-by-state...

New projections done by the University of Washington show a startling state-by-state breakdown of coronavirus cases and deaths day by day through early August.

California can expect 6,109 COVID-19 deaths by Aug. 4, with daily fatalities peaking on April 25 at 148, according to the model that was released Thursday. The study, which attempts to determine "excess demand for hospital services," assumes the "continuation of strong social distancing measures and other protective measures," such as orders to shelter in place.

The United States is projected to suffer a total of 81,114 COVID-19 deaths by Aug. 4, with fatalities peaking on April 14 at 2,341.

"In addition to a large number of deaths from COVID-19, the epidemic in the US will place a load well beyond the current capacity of hospitals to manage, especially for ICU care," according to Dr. Christopher J.L. Murray, one of the authors of the study and the chair of Health Metrics Sciences at the University of Washington.

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
The vast majority of cases are under 50, and like most other places in the country folks are only getting tested if they're obviously very sick.
Yea there's a 40- 50% hospitalization rate for people under 50 but it still skews to the older range you're not gonna see that with 18-22. And like you said that chart is skewed to only people with symptoms. Going by south Korea's mass testing results most of your class should be asymptomatic.

Also the main thing is 80% of people dying are still over 65+ so "if you go to the ICU you don't have a good chance" is a little misleading.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
I don't know, but this right here...... this right here. I don't understand how it's going to get that high if most of the state shelters in place.

These projections man. 😕

m.sfgate.com

New projections done by the University of Washington show a startling state-by-state...
The projections are bad, but—yikes—imagine how much worse they could be if not for state-at-home orders.

blue_whale

Nov 1, 2017
This shit is so true it hurts. As a lab scientist, I'm way more worried that our phlebotomists are going to be an infection vector into the lab rather than any sample. Not because they are careless but rather they're not told who's a PUI and who's not. And obviously there's not enough PPE for treating every patient the same way.
This shit is so scary. I have a family friend in Dallas, who's a nurse and she's now been convinced by her hospital not to wear a mask because it doesn't protect. Like, she's in a hospital right now dealing with all sorts of patients, it boggles my mind. She has elderly parents and a family.

Zerokku

Oct 25, 2017
The projections are bad, but—yikes—imagine how much worse they could be if not for state-at-home orders.

I have a sick feeling in my stomache that we might find out with how some states are dragging their feet on it anything. I'm in Arizona and we have no shelter in place state-wide and half the response in Phoenix here has been from our own mayor instead. I had to drive to the post office to pick up a package (ugh I felt so uncomfortable doing that), and on my way I drove past a popular golf course with tons of old people on it. We don't have anything like a shelter in place /lockdown here. In fact the "Director of Arizona Division of Emergency Management" just up and quit today which just feels... ominous.

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see how it couldn't be worse. I mean they're assuming strick social distancing and isolation from the start of the study til August... Which is still not happening in some states. And there's no way people will stick to strict enough measures til August. As soon as numbers start to decline there's going to be huge pressure to go back to normal...which will trigger another surge.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
I know there are so many aspects of this pandemic that deserve attention. The one I want to talk about is MASKS. I'm sure the topic has come up previously but on twitter today I have noticed a big shift/push around using them in public.

So, epidemiologists and other experts are pushing back against WHO/CDC's current stance on mask effectiveness. I liked this quote I came across: "If there are N95 shortages and healthcare workers get priority, say that. Don't lie and say improvised masks don't help."

Masks are not 'the cure' but it's clear they are part of a successful solution, along with physical distancing and extensive hand washing. You don't need a surgical/N95 mask - even a DIY cloth one is good. DIY masks are easy enough to make too - even a handkerchief, scarf, shawl, t-shirt etc is going to be better than nothing.

It's clear to me we need to quickly remove the (western) stigma around using them.

Recommended reading / sources:

www.nytimes.com

Opinion | Why Telling People They Don’t Need Masks Backfired (Published 2020)

To help manage the shortage, the authorities sent a message that made them untrustworthy.

(a twitter thread with receipts - this one is really good) https://twitter.com/jeremyphoward/status/1242894378441506816?s=21

twitter.com

David Patterson on Twitter

“Leading COVID-19 expert from South Korea, explains why everyone should be wearing a mask. https://t.co/T2eNxBRPFs”

twitter.com

Peter Daszak on Twitter

“I’m definitely going to listen to what George Fu Gao says so it’s mask & gloves whe. I go shopping https://t.co/ddvWvhQ97R”

twitter.com

Dr. Genevieve Guenther on Twitter

“The recommendation that everyone wear a mask encourages life-saving behaviors like hand washing by signaling that we're in a universal emergency—and it ensures that people who really need to wear a mask can do so without stigma. Systems thinking is also social-systems thinking...

medium.com

Promoting simple do-it-yourself masks: an urgent intervention for COVID-19 mitigation

Dr. Fabian Svara 1, Angus Yiu-Ting Choi BSc, MPhil 2, Dr. Matthias Ober 3, Dr. Joergen Kornfeld 4, Assoc. Prof. Dr. Matthias Samwald 5*

Another related article:

www.aninews.in

Usage of masks "flattened" growth of coronavirus cases in Czech Republic

Prague [Czech Republic], Mar 29 (ANI): The growth of coronavirus cases has "flattened" in the Czech Republic ever since the country's government has made masks compulsory, claimed data scientist Jeremy Howard.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
This shit is so scary. I have a family friend in Dallas, who's a nurse and she's now been convinced by her hospital not to wear a mask because it doesn't protect. Like, she's in a hospital right now dealing with all sorts of patients, it boggles my mind. She has elderly parents and a family.

at least make some kind of a face shield

Deleted member 11046

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some late night observations:

-Trump orders states to buy their own resources and then strategically outbids them at the last minute when they do manage to secure orders for critical medical supplies.

-Trump has vendors cut off states like Michigan due to personal grudges with governors.

-Trump sends Florida 200% of its requests from the national emergency stockpile (with more en route) while starving MA, ME, CO, CA, NJ, NY and NM. CO got a single day's worth of supplies while CA received 170 broken ventilators; Maine received barely 5 percent of its requests and we all know how poorly NY is being treated at the moment.

-Arizona is now also receiving its full requests from the Feds.

-South Carolina, like Florida, has also already received two full shipments of supplies as of yesterday.

I'm sensing a pattern here...

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Here's a question: I keep seeing people wondering if they had coronavirus already because they experienced weird flu like symptoms around Christmas and early January, yet they weren't in contact with anyone from China.

If that were the case, wouldn't the hospitals have been overwhelmed much earlier, given how fast it spreads?
Me and my wife we had all covid19 symptoms except serious breathing issues around mid January. Worst fever I ever had, a week of 37C+, reaching 39C+ a few times. Dry cough lasted for like 3 weeks, and there was no mucus at all. We both had body aches and she had diarrhea. I never had anything like that before, it was quite terrible.

We isolated ourselves at home for at least 2 weeks, since we were in a bad shape and afraid of contaminating other people. We did go out once to see the doctor, who couldn't really tell what that was. She said it was some kind of viral disease, certainly not influenza.

If I had had that thing right now, I would have been 100% sure it was covid19. But the mid Jan timing seems weird, we would certainly have seen this thing spreading back then if that was the case.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

-Trump orders states to buy their own resources and then strategically outbids them at the last minute when they do manage to secure orders for critical medical supplies.

-Trump has vendors cut off states like Michigan due to personal grudges with governors.

-Trump sends Florida 200% of its requests from the national emergency stockpile (with more en route) while starving MA, ME, CO, CA, NJ, NY and NM. CO got a single day's worth of supplies while CA received 170 broken ventilators; Maine received barely 5 percent of its requests and we all know how poorly NY is being treated at the moment.

-South Carolina, like Florida, has also already received two full shipments of supplies as of yesterday.

Trump letting people die by the score to own the libs... fucking monstrous.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
what the fuck.... you see the lengths they're going to in asia to stop this and protect themselves and look at responses like this and it makes you really think on things. embarrassing

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
N.Y.C.'s 911 System Is Overwhelmed.
www.nytimes.com

N.Y.C.’s 911 System Is Overwhelmed. ‘I’m Terrified,’ a Paramedic Says. (Published 2020)

With coronavirus cases mounting, emergency workers are making life-or-death decisions about who goes to a hospital, and who is left behind.
Because of the volume, emergency medical workers are making life-or-death decisions about who is sick enough to take to crowded emergency rooms and who appears well enough to leave behind. They are assessing on scene which patients should receive time-consuming measures like CPR and intubation, and which patients are too far gone to save.
Three weeks ago, the paramedics said, most coronavirus calls were for respiratory distress or fever. Now the same types of patients, after having been sent home from the hospital, are experiencing organ failure and cardiac arrest.

"We're getting them at the point where they're starting to decompensate," said the Brooklyn paramedic, who is employed by the Fire Department. "The way that it wreaks havoc in the body is almost flying in the face of everything that we know."

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
how could this possibly be true? like you're supposed to use gloves in case you're touching contaminated objects but putting it in your mouth is okay?

Well think about it this way ... imagine your stomach is like this highly acidic pool that shreds apart everything that goes down there. The virus can't attach to anything in your digestive track.

Where you get in trouble is indeed touching something and then bringing that up your nose. Once it gets in your nasal passage it's in.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Me and my wife we had all covid19 symptoms except serious breathing issues around mid January. Worst fever I ever had, a week of 37C+, reaching 39C+ a few times. Dry cough lasted for like 3 weeks, and there was no mucus at all. We both had body aches and she had diarrhea. I never had anything like that before, it was quite terrible.

We isolated ourselves at home for at least 2 weeks, since we were in a bad shape and afraid of contaminating other people. We did go out once to see the doctor, who couldn't really tell what that was. She said it was some kind of viral disease, certainly not influenza.

If I had had that thing right now, I would have been 100% sure it was covid19. But the mid Jan timing seems weird, we would certainly have seen this thing spreading back then if that was the case.

Testing is the only way you'd know, but I think there would be no point now?

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Cool cool, just found out the Amazon building I work at has 2 cases and they're all at my department.

What does amazon do? Straight fucking nothing except let us know they're gonna deep clean while everyone still works. No shutdown whatsoever.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017

consequences, when

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a question: I keep seeing people wondering if they had coronavirus already because they experienced weird flu like symptoms around Christmas and early January, yet they weren't in contact with anyone from China.

If that were the case, wouldn't the hospitals have been overwhelmed much earlier, given how fast it spreads?

I can't speak for everyone but I just know this: The 1st case of COVID-19 in my county was reported way back in February 1st. Around that time I had a pretty bad case of the flu, fever, chills, throat so sore I pretty much lost my voice for three days. I bounced back after about a week and thought nothing of it. Now...I just don't know. 99% odds it was just the flu, but given its been that long that COVID-19 has been in my county, who knows what happened?

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017

Holy shit.

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017

These projections man. 😕

m.sfgate.com

I wonder if there are models complex enough to also account for the excess mortality for ICU patients who are NOT being treated for COVID-19. With an overstressed critical care system, that population's mortality risk must also be expected to rise.

Then there are certain elective cancer operations that are being delayed, that while in theory should not be leading to increased mortality risk, there will always be that unlucky patient or twelve whose cancers aggressively advanced during the postponement, dooming them. And we've already discussed mental health burden/suicide risk. Make no mistake; with all the attention, fear, and resources going towards this pandemic (justifiably so), ALL acute hospital care is jeopardized. Without including the socioeconomic effects, the secondary mortality fallout just within the confines of the hospitals' walls will be far more vast than the number dead directly attributed to COVID-19.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11046

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Serious opinion: In about 7-14 days when the bodies start amassing for real and we're losing more Americans per day than we lost in total on 9/11. The severity of his fuck ups has not quite made itself clear (enough) to his base yet. That's going to change very soon. When Florida, Texas, Georgia, Mississippi and Louisiana become the national epicenters of this virus and when old white conservatives are falling dead by the literal thousands... tunes will change. Until then, we endure Republicans attempting to play politics with a pandemic that doesn't give a fuck.

May 26, 2018
Serious opinion: In about 7-14 days when the bodies start amassing for real and we're losing more Americans per day than we lost in total on 9/11. The severity of his fuck ups has not quite made itself clear (enough) to his base yet. That's going to change very soon. When Florida, Texas, Georgia, Mississippi and Louisiana become the national epicenters of this virus and when old white conservatives are falling dead by the literal thousands... tunes will change. Until then, we endure Republicans attempting to play politics with a pandemic that doesn't give a fuck.

Tunes will not change. Know why? Because I think the first thing they'll do when the disbelief and despair set in is go looking for answers.

And they'll go looking for answers on Fox.

And Fox will tell them the Democrats killed their friends or families.

And since Fox has never lied to them before, they will believe. They will cling to the familiar in times of tragic and terrifying chaos.

This will not change.

probably.

powersurge

Nov 2, 2017
Pensacola, FL

Republican led genocide of Blue states. Its treason and we should hold trials like we did at Nuremberg.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland

I had something very similar in december. I think this has to be an unrelated virus.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
this fucker is that petty that he's knowingly risking the lives of millions of people because he didn't like that people/governors actually challenged him on his bullshit. think on it. think on the enormity of that.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

He needs to go

This truly is a new low I think

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
USA >1m cases in a month??

A few weeks back I was expecting 3 million confirmed cases by the start of May in US alone, but that was before any lockdowns. I now feel like the curves will slightly flatten in some states in mid-to-late April, but will still be very high when they do... and sadly places like Florida will be in chaos after a few weeks incubation from now.

...of course those numbers mean tests need to be done. And I worry that won't even happen. And even with tests there is always multiples of undocumented cases causing more damage

April is going to be a mess. A scary horrible mess.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
projects.sfchronicle.com

Coronavirus Map: Tracking COVID-19 cases across the Bay Area and California

Track the spread of COVID-19 cases in the Bay Area and California and get live updates with The San Francisco Chronicle's exclusive map, the only comprehensive coronavirus case tracker for the region.

Cali keeps shooting up every time I check the tracker.

We're probably going to hit 10k cases before next weekend at this rate. Pretty terrifying.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
this fucker is that petty that he's knowingly risking the lives of millions of people because he didn't like that people/governors actually challenged him on his bullshit. think on it. think on the enormity of that.
Having followed basically every last day of the horror that has been this presidency? It does not surprise me in the slightest. This is a guy who went to great lengths to cover up thousands of hurricane deaths in Puerto Rico, and the strategy for the first 6 weeks of this crisis was to try to replicate that effort. If he had no problem toying with the lives of the millions of people on that island, it's not at all a stretch to think he'd extend that to states or even the whole country if he felt it would benefit him.
Sadly I don't think you'll see consequences
You can hope republicans get absolutely blown the fuck out in every race at every level in every city and every state in November. That's the only remedy Americans really have.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Hospital tested all patients during a week for safety reasons. 8% of all non Corona patients showed long damage like they had Corona. They came in for stuff like their appendix or a broken leg so even no Corona like complaints.
m.hln.be

UZ Brussel test alle patiënten systematisch: 8 procent van de niet-covidpatiënten toch besmet

Heel wat Belgen zijn besmet met het coronavirus zonder het zelf te beseffen. Dat werd meermaals door experts herhaald, en lijkt nu ook bevestigd te worden door een experiment van het UZ Brussel. Het ziekenhuis test sinds maandag alle patiënten, ook patiënten zonder coronaklachten. Na een week...

May 26, 2018
Hospital tested all patients during a week for safety reasons. 8% of all non Corona patients showed long damage like they had Corona. They came in for stuff like their appendix or a broken leg so even no Corona like complaints.
m.hln.be

UZ Brussel test alle patiënten systematisch: 8 procent van de niet-covidpatiënten toch besmet

Heel wat Belgen zijn besmet met het coronavirus zonder het zelf te beseffen. Dat werd meermaals door experts herhaald, en lijkt nu ook bevestigd te worden door een experiment van het UZ Brussel. Het ziekenhuis test sinds maandag alle patiënten, ook patiënten zonder coronaklachten. Na een week...

Does Corona leave a unique signature of lung damage or could some have come elsewhere?

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Japan honestly should be the hardest hit country by this.
Yeah, I'm really curious about that, too. Japan has done very little (compared to other countries) to stop the virus, they've probably done pretty little testing, and even with masks it seems almost impossible to me that it hasn't spread a ton considering how crowded their biggest cities are. Yet we're not hearing any reports about thousands of people dying or hospitals being crowded even.

Maybe wearing masks actually is super-effective but somehow wasn't in China? But that would also mean that Japan's case numbers should be more or less correct which doesn't sound right in regards to testing. Or there's something we are missing -- but what?

May 26, 2018
Yeah, I'm really curious about that, too. Japan has done very little (compared to other countries) to stop the virus, they've probably done pretty little testing, and even with masks it seems almost impossible to me that it hasn't spread a ton considering how crowded their biggest cities are. Yet we're not hearing any reports about thousands of people dying or hospitals being crowded even.

Maybe wearing masks actually is super-effective but somehow wasn't in China? But that would also mean that Japan's case numbers should be more or less correct which doesn't sound right in regards to testing. Or there's something we are missing -- but what?

An adaptation? Diet? Overall health?