• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The lack of PPE for healthcare workers is a national disgrace, and these type of reactions should be criminal.

ER doctor who criticized Bellingham hospital's coronavirus protections has been fired

BELLINGHAM – An emergency room physician who publicly decried what he called a lack of protective measures against the novel coronavirus at his workplace, PeaceHealth St. Joseph Medical Center, has been fired.

Ming Lin, who has worked at the hospital for 17 years and became a local cause célèbre for his pleas for more safety equipment and more urgent measures to protect staff, was informed of his termination as he was preparing for a shift at the hospital Friday afternoon, he said.

"I got a message that said, 'Your shift has been covered,'" Lin told The Seattle Times. He phoned his supervisor and was told, "You've been terminated." Lin said he was told he would be contacted by human resources staff from his employer, TeamHealth, a national firm that contracts with PeaceHealth's emergency department.

[...]

Lin said supervisors threatened his employment more than a week ago after he spoke to reporters and made social media posts accusing PeaceHealth of a lack of urgency to protect health care workers from the virus.

Lin said he was told to take down his social media posts about the hospital but refused.

More at the link.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it helps if they are worn correctly and changed frequently. That is always the caveat.
It is contrasted then with the false security issue and people go around feeling safe and neglecting other measures like good hand hygiene and social distancing.

Edit: I can see the benefit wearing a mask, also from a psychological point of view and would also suggest it, but it should not be deemed as the savior that some people seem to do. Not wearing masks is not the reason why the virus spread so fast.

I'd rather see the hand hygiene and distance keeping pushed more than face masks.
Those have greater impact, protecting yourself and protecting others.
And water and soap is usually available and you don't take anything away from medical professionals.

There isn't any solid proof that infection by smear contact is even happening on a significant scale. The contact tracing from Singapore doesn't fit the pattern for smear contact very well. Multiple people aren't getting sick from eating the same food or touching the same things. People are getting sick when they are sharing the same spaces. It suggests droplets are the primary form of infection. Hand washing is an important, common sense preventative measure, but I don't think that is at all clear that it is more valuable than mass community cloth mask adoption.

TibimusPrime

Nov 26, 2017
Can anyone in / from spain tell me what this aditional lockdown means ? i assume people in the transport / logistic sector will still be open Monday ?

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin has now passed 1000 cases

https://www.channel3000.com/coronavirus-cases-in-wisconsin-surpass-1000/
MADISON, Wis. — The total number of COVID-19 cases in Wisconsin is now 1,002.

The Wisconsin Department of Health Services updated the state's total Saturday afternoon. DHS's count has the statewide total at 989, but their count does not include updated number from Milwaukee and Dane counties.

In total, 1,002 people have tested positive for the disease and 17 people have died. More than 15,000 people have tested negative for the disease.

megachao24

Oct 25, 2017
news4sanantonio.com

Texas MedClinic locations now testing for coronavirus, if you meet certain criteria

SAN ANTONIO- Texas MedClinic locations across San Antonio are now testing for the coronavirus, but you have to meet certain criteria. Testing started last Friday for patients who will be screened online, asking about their symptoms and health background. So far they've done about 300 tests, but...

South Texas MedClinic here in San Antonio are testing for CONVID-19 now under certain condidtions. At least it's something I guess.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone in / from spain tell me what this aditional lockdown means ? i assume people in the transport / logistic sector will still be open Monday ?

Here's the list of allowed jobs (not official, but it will be similar with a few additions):
  • Actividades agropecuarias e industriales de producción de alimentos
  • Transporte de mercancías alimentarias
  • Distribución minorista de alimentación
  • Actividades médicas, sanitarias y de farmacia
  • Fuerzas y cuerpos de seguridad del Estado
  • Ciertos transportes de viajeros y mercancías
  • Generación y distribución de energía eléctrica
  • Distribución de gas y agua
  • Refino de petróleo, distribución de carburantes y gasolineras
  • Telecomunicaciones
  • Puertos y aeropuertos
  • Medios de comunicación

cincodias.elpais.com

Las actividades esenciales: agricultura, distribución, sanidad, comunicación...

Estos son algunos de los sectores que estarán operativos las próximas dos semanas

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Freedom of speech!

I am sure this doctor will be needed else where immediately.
We're going to need a whole lot of doctors in many places I'm sure.
:(
Same in France and everywhere it seems.
Unbelievable such important resource was so much downplayed...
It drives me nuts, those things are not terribly hard to make and they don't require any scarce resource. I think we mainly just need to recognize that we need some sort of serious state intervention here. It can come in many forms, from just putting a giant pile of cash out there to incentivize companies all the way full nationalization and everything in between.
But I think it's pretty clear that doing nosing is going to end up horribly.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Found this on my YouTube feed earlier.

This simulation does well to show the effects of many of the measures taken by governments around the world to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.

youtu.be

Social distancing is the best strategy according to science. Here's how.

Hindi Version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b69smCSU1gWith a flood of strategies and news to protect ourselves at this point, we need to separate specula...

TLDR: Wash your hands, and self-isolate, keep your social distancing.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Same in France and everywhere it seems.
Unbelievable such important resource was so much downplayed...

It's important to understand they saved 15 million euros of storage/renewal by destroying the 1.7 billion masks we had in stock in 2010.

It's in the same line as destroying the Val De Grace as first act of our dear President Macron, sacrificing our equality symbol that was the military training hospital which, sure, allowed the same level of treatment to anyone holding a french ID or member of La Legion than the President of the Republic or important diplomatic friends ... but also was occupying a fantastic realestate in the heart of Paris, which could be sold for hundreds of millions to the Saudis/Chinese. (i don't thing they've found a buyer yet, but the hospital is destroyed and all professors went either abroad or to private clinics or were dispatched to other military hospitals... they were among the best there... I am still bitter as all hell).
We don't need hospitals, not at all, and sure don't need equality of treatment, now the Head of state can go to a private clinic of his choice.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
It's not 'fine'. This is not a holiday. You can take a walk closer to your house. Don't go on nature trails folks.

I need to bite because these comments bother me, and sound like a person that has never been on a nature trail.

They are not "holidays", and in most cases, are VERY isolated from other people. They are not super popular recreational activities, compared to those clogged urban trails you see. This would be the BEST place to walk without coming in contact with many people, period. It's open, you can see people coming and can easily walk very far around you. Some places would have more dense neighborhoods where it's harder too if lots of people were doing it.

This is NOT a beach or a park, or even an urban cycling trail, where they ARE places people are gathering. Don't you think if a responsible person saw 50 people in a nature trail that they would still go? Nature trails are most often, quiet, peaceful, and great for mental stability.

I'm sorry, but this would be the best case for people to get out for fresh air if they can. You personally have no problem for being locked up and not stepping outside, please don't criticize respinsible people or call it a "holiday" to those that MUST get out, somewhere.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017

Here is some good news. San Francisco seems to be doing well. We are finishing our second week of shelter in place (and most companies went to WFH a week before that). Some hospitals are resuming surgeries.

We'll probably have a pretty good picture of how well we are doing if we don't get the expected surge next week.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Is it safe to go on a nature trail?
If they're open, it means your government just hasn't implemented enough measures yet. Don't go on nature trails. (Also, you knew the answer since you asked)

Let's just use common sense here. A local trail not many people know about? Sure. A popular tourist attraction with a packed parking lot? Stay away.

And on the trail, just pretend you have a vicious dog on a leash and step a few meters off the trail whenever someone approaches.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017

Here is some good news. San Francisco seems to be doing well. We are finishing our second week of shelter in place (and most companies went to WFH a week before that). Some hospitals are resuming surgeries.

We'll probably have a pretty good picture of how well we are doing if we don't get the expected surge next week.

Shhhhhhhh 👀

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Is it logical to assume this virus will likely kill a number of big name celebrities, athletes, politicians and so forth?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This guy is still awesome, I am a fan of him.

This is all great, but it's still extremely hard to get masks in the US. If we start recommending their use (let alone mandating them) many people will find them impossible to get.
To be clear, I think we should certainly recommend their use and probably mandate it, but this has to come with ramping up of production and figuring out a way to ration them to people.

We also probably need some very visible PSAs about how to make them at home.

52club

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh. Reading reddit threads makes me feel underappreciated.

I just wanna say, as a delivery driver for over 10 years, I'm doing all I can for you guys in protecting the food and myself from any sort of contamination in this situation. I guess i feel like I have to get this out as we have been completely slammed this whole time its been going on and the stress has been weighing on me a bit, and reading that people think we are just disease vectors makes me slightly offended as I'm trying my god damned hardest to be awesome for everyone ordering and being cool about it.

After every delivery we sanitize and wash our bags/hands and have very strict cleaning now. Speaking of my hands are destroyed from all of that, cracking and dry from washing a lot during a shift.

I just felt like I needed to get this out. I'm not speaking for a lot of people but I do know the crew I work with take this seriously.

Lttp, but pizza delivery does help, keep doing your job the right way. It isn't crazy to think you are saving lives by doing so.

Honestly, I'm considering just leaving my job. My employer isn't really taking this as seriously as they should in addition to a few other factors that affect my workplace, and to be honest, it's probably a matter of when, not if someone gets infected there, and the possibility of bringing it home concerns me, since I live with two high risk people.

Trying to weigh things intelligently and not make a rash decision yet, though.

Tough call, but this is literally life and death in some cases. There isn't an easy answer.

While I said pizza delivery is important above I thought this tweet matches exactly what I see from my managment:

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is it logical to assume this virus will likely kill a number of big name celebrities, athletes, politicians and so forth?
I think some will die, but they are going to get the best care this country can offer, which is very very good, so I expect their mortality rate to be well below the general population. They can also isolate better than most and their social circle can actually get tested, so I would imagine they would be less likely to get sick.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I hope one day we will all reach this too and soon

"If you wear a mask, you make people uncomfortable"

"Dont wear mask stupid. It doesn't help."

"Why do you want a mask? Let those be for medical people only"

Yea I'm tired of these takes. Wearing a mask would def help in curving the spread. It doesn't mean it will stop it but it would add a small % to keeping everyone safer.

Oct 27, 2017
Ventilators or hope-against-hope doses of medication don't know who they are assisting. Coronavirus already killed a local politician that was in well-known in my town, and someone I had met a year or so ago.

It doesn't and shouldn't matter whether someone is big-name or not, we're all going to be affected by this before we are vaccinated. Maybe for the sake of our community we should minimize the conjecture on "who will die" for now.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
This is all great, but it's still extremely hard to get masks in the US. If we start recommending their use (let alone mandating them) many people will find them impossible to get.
To be clear, I think we should certainly recommend their use and probably mandate it, but this has to come with ramping up of production and figuring out a way to ration them to people.

We also probably need some very visible PSAs about how to make them at home.
Just like with every problem like this that Trump hasn't figured out yet, other countries have already solved this issue. Just limit the number of masks someone can purchase. Maybe you can't truly limit the masks by tying it into a national ID system, but hoarders are gonna find it very time consuming driving 10 minutes to the next store for another ~3-5 masks. I'm sure Trump will be calling up Tiger Woods for advice on this issue though.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Wearing a mask or gloves obviously helps but if people don't know how to put them on and take them off they're just getting a false sense of security. Just out of my twitter TL from a pediatrician:

twitter.com

JM Lloreda on Twitter

“Hoy en el saliente de guardia he ido a comprar. Mucha gente con mascarillas con la nariz fuera; otros, con guantes tocándose la cara. Pero el que se ha quitado la mascarilla para estornudar 3 veces y luego se la ha vuelto a poner ha sido el ganador.”

"Went shopping after my shift. Lots of people wearing masks with the nose out; others with gloves touching their face. But the absolute winner is the one that took the mask out to sneeze 3 times then put it on back again"

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just like with every problem like this that Trump hasn't figured out yet, other countries have already solved this issue. Just limit the number of masks someone can purchase. Maybe you can't truly limit the masks by tying it into a national ID system, but hoarders are gonna find it very time consuming driving 10 minutes to the next store for another ~3-5 masks. I'm sure Trump will be calling up Tiger Woods for advice on this issue though.
You don't have a national ID in the US, and tying it to any sort of other ID is going to leave a lot of people unable to get them.
I don't have a solution by the way, but I would guess it's probably going to be some be some dramatic over-supply combined and strict price control, but both things are hated by free market fetishists, so I am not optimistic.
And yeah, Trump being an idiot is not going to help any of this.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think this whole ordeal will finally wake up the west on using masks everyday just like Japan and other Asian nations already do. And on the fun side, if you can get some black masks you can look like a ninja now!
I would always hope that instead we reduced pollution so these eastern Asians nations didn't feel the need to wear one because the unhealthy air was still one of the main drivers. Not disease spreading.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would always hope that instead we reduced pollution so these eastern Asians nations didn't feel the need to wear one because the unhealthy air was still one of the main drivers. Not disease spreading.

I always thought it was more about diseases than air quality? Same reason I heard in Japanese stores you NEVER give or take cash directly to the cashier during a transaction but instead put it on a small metal tray on the counter.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Florida keeps pushing the no masks angle but it seems a lot of people aren't given a fuck 'cus I'm seeing a shit ton of them. I wish I was seeing a lot more, though.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Honeslty, there should no longer be anymore "everyday life", especially for Americans. Not until they can get past COVID-19.

this whole crisis will run deep for everyone. i don´t think this will be the same world for a long time, even after this is over or a vaccine is available. it will change the way people interact with each other on every level.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought it was more about diseases than air quality? Same reason I heard in Japanese stores you NEVER give or take cash directly to the cashier during a transaction but instead put it on a small metal tray on the counter.
Wouldn't that be related to touching each other not being socially acceptable?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
this whole crisis will run deep for everyone. i don´t think this will be the same world for a long time, even after this is over or a vaccine is available. it will change the way people interact with each other on every level.

In the long run, it may be for the best. Especially if more people wash their hands after using the bathroom. Just look as this fucking map.

93w0x07ptxz31.jpg

And its WORSE in the US with only 58% of people saying they wash their hands...

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So should my wife sew us some masks before we go shopping the next time? Is it enough to wash them after each use or do they have to be steamed as stated above?