• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
Great news if true. But you have to wonder:

On one hand, spreading this news (if true) would give hope and strength to a lot of people already in Intensive Care.
It would also give more validation to people, that staying isolated is for losers.

You can practically hear people running to amass as much of that medicine as possible.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
FYI, Apple has a new COVID-19 app in the App Store. They partnered with the CDC to put together a screening tool. Considering quite a few of the people in here who are understandably having anxiety attacks over a sore throat, it's worth a look to ease your mind.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if posted

FYI, Apple has a new COVID-19 app in the App Store. They partnered with the CDC to put together a screening tool. Considering quite a few of the people in here who are understandably having anxiety attacks over a sore throat, it's worth a look to ease your mind.
Haven't looked into it at all so maybe it's fine but hopefully this doesn't do more harm than good. You can have it with little to no symptoms.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
For my other Americans in this thread, what's the feeling regarding the earliest time frame that we get out of lockdown? Seeing the projections that NYC doesn't expect their apex to be until 4/21, and knowing that NY is ahead of a lot of states, it's starting to feel like we aren't going to be set free into the world until May/June at the earliest (and that would include some restrictions and social distancing requirements, I'd assume).

Talking with coworkers today, it seems like we're all in this collective state of denial where we are all idealizing a return to normalcy in a month, at most. In the back of our heads, I think we all know that isn't realistic, but nobody wants say that out loud.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For my other Americans in this thread, what's the feeling regarding the earliest time frame that we get out of lockdown? Seeing the projections that NYC doesn't expect their apex to be until 4/21, and knowing that NY is ahead of a lot of states, it's starting to feel like we aren't going to be set free into the world until May/June at the earliest (and that would include some restrictions and social distancing requirements, I'd assume).

Talking with coworkers today, it seems like we're all in this collective state of denial where we all all idealizing a return to normalcy in a month, at most. In the back of our heads, I think we all know that isn't realistic, but nobody wants say that out loud.

I have been saying mid-May since the beginning and I still think that.

And I think we'll likely have to do it again for a few weeks in August or September for a bit.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't looked into it at all so maybe it's fine but hopefully this doesn't do more harm than good. You can have it with little to no symptoms.

Well, I filled out the symptoms that I've had and it basically told me to self-isolate for a week, and to monitor for more severe symptoms. The questionnaire was fairly thorough. It seemed like reasonable advice considering I didn't have any of the tell-tale signs, though I did have some minor trouble breathing.

I would hope the app will do more good than harm. The hospital systems don't need people with minor symptoms coming in right now. Here in California I can't even get tested with the symptoms I've had. I know that people want to get tested for peace of mind, but we just don't have the capabilities for that right now and the doctors need to focus on people who are having severe symptoms.

stew

Dec 2, 2017

Here's hoping this pans out.

The majority (65/80, 81.3%) of patients had favourable outcome and were discharged from our unit at the time of writing with low NEWS scores (61/65, 93.8%). Only 15% required oxygen therapy. Three patients were transferred to the ICU, of whom two improved and were then returned to the ID ward. One 74 year-old patient was still in ICU at the time of writing. Finally, one 86 year-old patient who was not transferred to the ICU, died in the ID ward
I think this is why some people think they need to do Placebo-controlled studies, it's still not enough.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
God damn. A outlet home improvement store here in MN just sent out an email newsletter advertising 1,000s of KN95 masks would be arriving on April 1 and they would be selling them I bulk for $1,000 per bundle.

They got blasted for it, sent out an apology email and Facebook post sayin "we were going to donate a percentage" and "we are just trying to run a business. Anyone can order them from China, they just haven't." The CEO even made a Facebook video saying he is getting blasted by his marketing guy for putting that in, but just feels misunderstood.

Seriously....

Look at this shit: https://mnhomeoutlet.cmail20.com/t/...EF23F30FEDED/B648568510937991F039C523302FD418

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017

Talking with coworkers today, it seems like we're all in this collective state of denial where we are all idealizing a return to normalcy in a month, at most. In the back of our heads, I think we all know that isn't realistic, but nobody wants say that out loud.

Supposedly getting married in July and I can't imagine actual happening.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
God damn. A outlet home improvement store here in MN just sent out an email newsletter advertising 1,000s of KN95 masks would be arriving on April 1 and they would be selling them I bulk for $1,000 per bundle.

They got blasted for it, sent out an apology email and Facebook post sayin "we were going to donate a percentage" and "we are just trying to run a business. Anyone can order them from China, they just haven't." The CEO even made a Facebook video saying he is getting blasted by his marketing guy for putting that in, but just feels misunderstood.

Seriously....

Look at this shit: https://mnhomeoutlet.cmail20.com/t/...EF23F30FEDED/B648568510937991F039C523302FD418

IDK really, $1/mask seems not too bad at all? People that are seriously gouging are selling them for >$10 for one!

Though I don't know the regular wholesale cost of these things at all, haven't even ever tried to buy one before this crisis.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Seriously....

They can take their business and shove it.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
Just a little stupid math based on a 2016 study of Millionaires households in the USA. On that list, there were 35 million households that had a combined income of 1,000,000 or more.

If they all donated $5000, which let's face it... chump change in that income level. That is over $175 billion dollars that could go towards healthcare support.

I know it's an unrealistic way to look at things, but it seems like for every 1 person that is being generous right now (like that excec who donated a years salary), a 1000 more are not sharing a cent. And some are getting richer off all this is stories are to be believed.

So disheartening.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my thing is that my travel to new york ended 13 days ago... and lots of the cases i'm seeing now in NYC started just before I got there 11-13 (i left the 15 and was only at a small party of around 15ish people, though I didn't take public transit at all (except my plane flight home).

Again no cough, no fever, and when I took a benzo earlier today I felt better for a few hours. Still think it's anxiety but this asks if I've been to a hotzone and don't know what to say

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
IDK really, $1/mask seems not too bad at all? People that are seriously gouging are selling them for >$10 for one!

Though I don't know the regular wholesale cost of these things at all, haven't even ever tried to buy one before this crisis.

The point is not the value, but that he opened them up to the public to purchase when hospitals are begging for more. The state has literally procured most of them and distributes them under police protection now, so they can be tracked.

Then this idiot comes in and says he maneuvered some pallet space in shipments and wants to sell them to the public in a few weeks and will donate a small percentage of them. Meanwhile, our medical professionals are wearing fucking socks to save our family members.

xplatformer

Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
I have bad news for you fellow Americans. He will be reelected easily... He will be the good sheep until November than He will be back to be the usually asshole.

His stupidity has been put on display for everyone to see. He still has his conservative stalwarts...but the REST of the county will get him out of office. He won't be President during our next flu season.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017

Seriously....

Why did I look at the comments...

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017

The more we restrict now, the quicker we can ween ourselves back into normalcy. April is already forfeit, probably looking at mid May by the earliest

xplatformer

Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles

July.

Expect that...so you set your expectations appropriately. This virus will be fought for the next 10months.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Honestly? We might see some gradual easing of the lockdown for things like hair salons, smaller gatherings etc as long as we ramp up testing, But stuff like Sporting Events, large concerts, parades? Man.. I'll put it this way, I think two seasons of the NBA and NHL are in serious jeopardy. Kirk Herbstreit said he doesn't think CFB will play this year.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Just a little stupid math based on a 2016 study of Millionaires households in the USA. On that list, there were 35 million households that had a combined income of 1,000,000 or more.
Huh?

I'm not familiar with the exact income distributions across the country, but the United States only has about 130 million households. You're suggesting that nearly a quarter of US households are bringing in >=$1M each year. That's pretty obviously bullshit.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like shit is about to get real in my neck of the woods. Only 100 miles from Rapid City, SD.
rapidcityjournal.com

Monument Health caregiver with COVID-19 came into contact with 112 individuals

A patient who tested positive for coronavirus at Monument Health was also a caregiver there who worked in the cancer care institute.
A patient who tested positive for coronavirus at Monument Health was also a caregiver there who worked in the cancer care institute.
People at the highest risk for contracting severe and fatal symptoms for COVID-19 include immunocompromised individuals, which includes those undergoing cancer treatments.
Paulette Davidson, CEO and President of Monument Health, estimated Wednesday at a press conference that the patient, who has only been identified as a woman, came into contact with 100 patients, 10 other caregivers and two physicians. Most patients were in an ambulatory area, she said.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
losangeles.cbslocal.com

25-Year-Old Pharmacy Technician Dies From Coronavirus In Riverside County, No Underlying Health Conditions Reported

Riverside County health officials reported the death of a 25-year-old pharmacy technician from COVID-19 Friday and warned the community that the illness is not just deadly for elderly people.

25 year old pharmacy technician has passed away from COVID-19. The dangers of working in a pharmacy during this pandemic is not stated enough. In my store we allegedly had someone who was exposed to COVID walk in to pick up prescriptions. People breaking quarantine and just acting careless about the whole thing is extremely frustrating and sad to see.

Stay the fuck home, people.

But a pharmacy is kind of an essential. If you are running out of medication and are only able to get x months worth at a time, what other option do you have?

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
What some grocery stores have done is essentially to build a protection wall where the cashier sits.

Pharamcies should do the same, there is no reason not to do it.

Aldi-Plexiglas-176368.jpeg

www.chip.de%2Fii%2F1%2F2%2F6%2F2%2F3%2F5%2F2%2F9%2F0%2Face0f4d1d61e0432.jpeg

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
But a pharmacy is kind of an essential. If you are running out of medication and are only able to get x months worth at a time, what other option do you have?

No arguing that. RX's need to stay opened. I just look at customers who come to the store buying cosmetics, candy, and toys with complete disappointment and frustration.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes the protection walls at the supermarkets are up now.

But I'm not even sure MLB will play this year.

The thing about "flattening the curve" is that you're flattening the apex, too.

If the apex in the NYC area is, say, 21 days from now - how sharp or round is the non-flattened version of the apex? Is it a day, a few days long, or might it stick around for a week?

And does the back end of the curve mirror the escalation, or have a longer tail? A direct mirror of the escalation-to-apex in the NYC area, in this example, would be 21 + 14 = 35 days - which post-apex would put us close to Memorial Day.

Then consider that throughout February and the beginning of March we were at risk but with no stay-at-home yet. So mirroring that on the de-escalation side, though with proper social distancing this time, adds at least a month - which would put us in late June. Can't say if it will work out to this time frame though.

Now consider the stay-at-home flattening. What is this apex flattened to? A hump? A plateau? Will flattening squeeze the curve like a toothpaste tube, where the de-escalation gets pushed out to last longer than the escalation? Not sure.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
The thing about "flattening the curve" is that you're flattening the apex, too.

If the apex in the NYC area is, say, 21 days from now - how sharp or round is the non-flattened version of the apex? Is it a day, a few days long, or might it stick around for a week?

And does the back end of the curve mirror the escalation, or have a longer tail? A direct mirror of the escalation-to-apex in the NYC area, in this example, would be 21 + 14 = 35 days - which post-apex would put us close to Memorial Day.

Then consider that throughout February and the beginning of March we were at risk but with no stay-at-home yet. So mirroring that on the de-escalation side, though with proper social distancing this time, adds at least a month - which would put us in late June. Can't say if it will work out to this time frame though.

Now consider the stay-at-home flattening. What is this apex flattened to? A hump? A plateau? Will flattening squeeze the curve like a toothpaste tube, where the de-escalation gets pushed out to last longer than the escalation? Not sure.
Yeah, the issue with "flatten the curve" always was that they never put numbers on the axis. SZ (German newspaper, scroll down) tried to model it today and, for Germany, it basically means delaying the peak until October and having the lockdown last about a year.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
This is some hours old now, sorry if already posted.

Pentagon eyes Chicago, Michigan, Florida, Louisiana as coronavirus spreads

WASHINGTON, March 27 (Reuters) - The U.S. military is watching coronavirus infection trends in Chicago, Michigan, Florida and Louisiana with concern as it weighs where else it may need to deploy, after boosting aid to New York, California and Washington, a top general said on Friday.

Air Force General John Hyten, vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said the military was doing its own analysis as well as looking at data on infections compiled elsewhere in the government.
"There's a certain number of places where we have concerns and they're: Chicago, Michigan, Florida, Louisiana," Hyten told a group of reporters, when asked where field hospitals could head next.

The Army Corps of Engineers said on Friday it was aiming to provide facilities for 3,000 people with the coronavirus at Chicago's McCormick Place convention center by April 24 for about $75 million.

www.news.trust.org/item/20200327213427-xshb7

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
July.

Expect that...so you set your expectations appropriately. This virus will be fought for the next 10months.

We really can't say when the whole country will stay or come out of lockdown. You really can't compare the USA to Italy or Germany simply due to the sheer size and differences between states. Which means I think you have to look at it state by state, ESPECIALLY because Trump has already established himself to be a moron who will wave the "ALL CLEAR!" flag as soon he fucking can. Some states might listen, but hopefully most won't and will decide on their own.

With all that said, you''re right that we;; be spending the next year+ dealing with this shit, but I think it'll come in waves. In some recovered/less affected areas, there might be a half-lockdown where businesses are allowed to open, but the same social distancing is encouraged and they're only allowed to be at half capacity or something. Same with colleges, any class that can be taught online will be and those that have to be taught on campus like labs or athletic courses might be. I have no idea what K-12 will do, but I have a feeling they'll have to be open in some capacity by September for most places.