• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some outtakes showing just how incompetent the Mayor of New York City is:

For the vast majority of New Yorkers, life is going on pretty normally right now," Bill de Blasio said on Morning Joe March 10, as the number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the U.S. topped 1,000. "We want to encourage that." He added that there was a "misperception" that the disease "hangs in the air waiting to catch you. No, it takes direct person-to-person contact."

"If you're under 50 and you're healthy, which is most New Yorkers, there's very little threat here."

He had a photo op at a 311 call center, where he told a caller who had just returned from Italy that she did not need to self-quarantine, advice that forced 311 to actually call the woman back and tell her to stay inside for 14 days.

And the mayor himself told a radio host that people who don't display symptoms can't transmit the disease, an assertion that contradicts information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"If you love your neighborhood bar, go there now," de Blasio advised New Yorkers before his meeting

But the lasting memory of the mayor in the early days of the coronavirus crisis will invariably be his visit to the Park Slope Y, hours after the governor announced that gyms were going to close as a matter of public safety. That gym, 11 miles from the mayor's official residence at Gracie Mansion, had always been, for de Blasio's detractors, proof of his lack of attention to the job, and for de Blasio, proof that his detractors are obsessed over trivialities and removed from the concerns of real New Yorkers.

Quotes from: https://nymag.com/intelligencer/202...ad-his-worst-week-as-new-york-city-mayor.html

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a good article on where we're at in terms of transmission by mail and from indirect transmission in general. The risk from packages is believed to be low and in fact, the risk from indirect transmission in general may have been overstated.

Yes, this drives me insane! Hand washing isn't completely effective either because people don't do it optimally, just as people don't wear masks optimally, but no one's telling us not wash our hands because we'd just do it wrong. I get that it's problematic to push hard for wearing surgical masks when there aren't enough to go around, but it's something we need to have a serious discussion about in the future so the argument (being made by our own surgeon general) that "they ONLY help medical personnel" may have short-term value but is an irresponsible one to make.
Thank You I appreciate it.

Hazzuh

Oct 28, 2017

Major takeaways: The UK and USA are fucked, New York is especially fucked and Turkey looks like it's going to be in big trouble.

elty

Oct 31, 2017

Major takeaways: The UK and USA are fucked, New York is especially fucked and Turkey looks like it's going to be in big trouble.

Don't worry, the CDC is working hard to ensure less people will die from COVID-19.

www.mercurynews.com

Coronavirus: Teen’s death no longer counted among Los Angeles County’s virus total

Los Angeles County health officials said Wednesday that they no longer are including a 17-year-old boy in the tally of coronavirus deaths until they do more to determine his precise cause of death.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I am keeping my own data and projections for Germany. With the current median growth rate of the last 4 days in Germany (13.98%) we will have 82.767 cases by end of March. More worrying is the 27.23% increase of deaths per day currently, if that keeps up we will hve nearly 1000 dead in Germany by end of March.

Today we had an increase of 5828 cases to a total of 49.039 cases (13.49% growth) and 60 deaths to a total of 322 deaths (22.9% growth).
I take my numbers from https://interaktiv.morgenpost.de/corona-virus-karte-infektionen-deutschland-weltweit/
The last few days worldometers is a bit ahead of that, but I take my data every day at the same time, so it shouldn't do too much about the % growth rates.

That's interesting. There is a delay between infections and death, but the number of new infections didn't grow that accelerated at any time if I remember well. The testing is still limited to the people with symptoms, right? I wonder what's up with that though since Germany is testing quite a lot and the new infections growth doesn't seem to follow that. Is there a flu epidemic in parallel for so many people to have symptoms (the people with symptoms that tested negative for COVID-19)?

kess

Oct 27, 2017
The University of Washington projects that the pandemic will peak on April 14th, and there will be roughly 80,000 deaths by the end of August.

covid19.healthdata.org

IHME | COVID-19 Projections

Explore forecasts of COVID-19 cases, deaths, and hospital resource use.

Thoughts?

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
They've been in a Tupperware box in my basement for 2+ years. I wouldn't feel comfortable giving them to someone in a medical situation.
The hospital that I work for found a stockpile of expired masks and PPEs. We're using them. This was explained during a conference call to all providers last week. The CDC even gave us their blessing.

What Octodad originally referred to, in donating higher quality masks to medical professionals, is in line with what many Minnesotans have already done:
www.startribune.com

Mask by mask, Minnesotans answer call for gear for health care workers

The nationwide and state effort stretched the gamut, from huge corporations exponentially multiplying their mask production to a neighbor in Victoria driving to a nurse's house to deliver three leftover masks.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I have no idea why anyone even likes the idea of a cruise. It's a luxury prison at sea imo. I would return it or give it away if it was gifted to me. But at this point in time is almost a suicide mission.

In hindsight, yeah cruises not so good. I'm assuming it has the same

Looks like Washington is starting to flatten out a bit in regards to deaths. But man New York.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
The University of Washington projects that the pandemic will peak on April 14th, and there will be roughly 80,000 deaths by the end of August.

covid19.healthdata.org

Thoughts?

Thanks for posting this. I also think this is optimistic although they account for variance. I'm more concerned that as we reach peak, people will think it will only decline from there, become more lax, and this will wasted.

This must continue UNTIL we reach minimal levels.

Last edited:

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017
Speaking to my girlfriend, a doctor in the hospital.

-In the ward she works somebody went in with suspected COVID but not confirmed mixed in with somebody in a ward with other medical conditions and he was discharged last week. On the day he left he took a Coronavirus swab pending results but was told to self isolate in his nursing room. They got the test results yesterday and called the nursing home and they said he died.
-She compares the Xrays of people that come in as emergency and they look ok and 4 days later are completely filled up with fluid and oedema. Shes never seen anything like it and especially it happening so fast.
-They had a fit and healthy 60 year old go into a respiratory distress and he was in the tripod position, something shes never seen before in person. He was in agonising pain and was fearing for his life. They had to intubate him.

This virus is a motherfucker.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Probably a good time to do another shopping run in a day or two. I've got plenty of canned and dried food but it might get a bit boring.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

why are people even comparing to China/Iran numbers?

France, Germany, Netherlands and Belgium are also following the same death curve as Italy.

yeah, here in germany there are more and more deaths everyday now and this is imo still only the beginning, many people here thinking this will be gone and done in a few weeks will be in for a rude awakening. this will last for nearly the rest of the year, maybe it goes in curves where there are less cases at some point but a bit later there are cases rising again. much which is said and written these days is often wishful thinking or predictions.

Does anyone here know how Germany has very few deaths compared to other countries with a similar amount of cases?

www.spiegel.de

Christian Drosten liefert erste Erklärungen zu niedrigen Todeszahlen in Deutschland

Gemeinsam mit Forschungsministerin Karliczek hat sich Charité-Virologe Christian Drosten zur vergleichsweise geringen Sterberate an Corona in Deutschland geäußert - und ein neues Forschungsnetzwerk vorgestellt.

gemany´s top virologist explains that it has something to do with the tests being done when people are having mild symptoms, many available tests and therefore less severe cases. and there is still capacity so people can get a good treatment. but there are still many cases that are not detected at all, so numbers are certainly much much higher than the daily stats.
you can run it through google translator if you want to read

came across a Time article about a guy living in China, it is not back to normal at all. some good infos there.

time.com

Life in China Has Not Returned to Normal, Despite What the Government Says

The Beijing government has been busy recasting China as a sanctuary from the deadly virus. But life here is far from returning to normal

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
How is Japan handling it so well? I thought the narrative was that they weren't.
They weren't indeed, they were just hiding the numbers by barely doing tests so the Olympics could go on as usual. Now that they're called off more and more cases are popping up. A lockdown is bound to happen in the next few weeks. Although they might still handle it better since they have a long history of dealing with stuff like this (usually wear masks, wash hands frequently, etc.)

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Tomorrow I will be taking my son down to drop him off with his mom, and later on next week I will be driving back to South Dakota to be with my fiancee. It will

The reason, my parents. They're two of the most selfish, ignorant, rude assholes I've ever met and I will be cutting all contact with them.

I want nothing to do with them anymore.

This pandemic showed me where their true priorities lie (themselves and their ass backwards political views) then their own kid.

So they can fuck themselves.

Last edited:

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
That's interesting. There is a delay between infections and death, but the number of new infections didn't grow that accelerated at any time if I remember well. The testing is still limited to the people with symptoms, right? I wonder what's up with that though since Germany is testing quite a lot and the new infections growth doesn't seem to follow that. Is there a flu epidemic in parallel for so many people to have symptoms (the people with symptoms that tested negative for COVID-19)?
There is flu season. I know from first hand reports of a collegue that even mild symptoms get tested, but with a huge delay (they got tested on the 9th day in quarantine and the results need 10 days to come in). People with more symptoms get tested & mostly results in a matter of few hours to a few days. Currently they seem to be testing ~80k/day.
The Interiorministry has the plan to ramp up testing to 200k/day until end of April, then ease the lockdowns and act like South Korea. Massive testing and quaranting of new infection clusters immediately due to many and fast tests. Very interesting strategy and I think the only one that will work if you want some normalization in May/June.
There is also the idea to build "test booths" for the populace to do self-testing, but that is still heavily discussed. They think this strategy needs to be done for the whole year to prevent another lockdown-scenario. All in all it is a very good read and very informative.

iyox

Oct 25, 2017

covid19.healthdata.org

Thoughts?

I saw this earlier and I think we can probably assess its projections based on FL, LA and GA. Looking at those, it appears like this is overly optimistic. Here's to hoping it trends closer to this model's projections.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
why are people even comparing to China/Iran numbers?

yeah, here in germany there are more and more deaths everyday now and this is imo still only the beginning, many people here thinking this will be gone and done in a few weeks will be in for a rude awakening. this will last for nearly the rest of the year, maybe it goes in curves where there are less cases at some point but a bit later there are cases rising again. much which is said and written these days is often wishful thinking or predictions.

www.spiegel.de

Christian Drosten liefert erste Erklärungen zu niedrigen Todeszahlen in Deutschland

Gemeinsam mit Forschungsministerin Karliczek hat sich Charité-Virologe Christian Drosten zur vergleichsweise geringen Sterberate an Corona in Deutschland geäußert - und ein neues Forschungsnetzwerk vorgestellt.

gemany´s top virologist explains that it has something to do with the tests being done when people are having mild symptoms, many available tests and therefore less severe cases. and there is still capacity so people can get a good treatment. but there are still many cases that are not detected at all, so numbers are certainly much much higher than the daily stats.
you can run it through google translator if you want to read

came across a Time article about a guy living in China, it is not back to normal at all. some good infos there.

time.com

Life in China Has Not Returned to Normal, Despite What the Government Says

The Beijing government has been busy recasting China as a sanctuary from the deadly virus. But life here is far from returning to normal
I had six years of German in high school so I'm going to try it without translation. Danke Herr!

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
So last night I ended up so short of breath that I was confused and couldn't think straight. Scared my fiance something fierce, so he called the after-hours nurse for my clinic. The recorded message specifically said that if you have that symptom you need to seek emergency help immediately. So he got me in the truck and took me to the emergency room.

They discharged me just as quick as they could, telling me to take a shitton more codiene cough syrup, use my Albuterol inhaler more often, and rest more. In my discharge papers is says if I have the exact symptoms I went in for, to call 911 immediately. 🤷‍♀️

I feel like if I am not in complete respitory failure, no one is going to do anything for me.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Have there been any cases of second infections? That is, somebody that caught it, recovered, and caught it again? Or any signs of mutation (if such a thing is even possible with this virus)?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
South Korea is doing some amazing work. Can BTS be the President of America? They would've ended this days ago.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea why anyone even likes the idea of a cruise. It's a luxury prison at sea imo. I would return it or give it away if it was gifted to me. But at this point in time is almost a suicide mission.
I once heard it is cheaper than a nursing home for a specific set of the population.