• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
These are masks we bought years ago for housework and never used them. I was just wondering if both would be good to wear out to the grocery store. Looks like P95 is for paint odor but would still be effective?

I'm going to be an asshole, but I hope this comes across nicely. P95 masks won't help you THAT much if you're just going to the grocery store. You really should consider giving them to a medical professional.

A basic mask will do you almost as good for your/my situation.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be an asshole, but I hope this comes across nicely. P95 masks won't help you THAT much if you're just going to the grocery store. You really should consider giving them to a medical professional.

A basic mask will do you almost as good for your/my situation.
I have a feeling this kind of advice is going to age really really horribly.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Bulletin for the
French situation:
32964 confirmed cases + 3809 in 24 H . A first corrected estimate is around 42000.
15732 hospitalized + 1828 in 24 H
3787 in intensive care + 412 in 24 H (youngest for the day is 16yo)
1995 dead + 299 in 24 H

last increases for deaths:
27>89>108>78>112>112>186>240>231>365>299

ICUs:
??>232>191>175>228>115>335>434>311>548>412

Increments:

increments27033djim.png

hmm...is this a good sign?

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Why? N95 masks do that do not have a perfect seal, will not protect you from airborne movement, just droplet. People who are exposed to hundreds of people at close proximity a day are at greater risks, therefore deserve it more.

If you adjust the mask, touch your face, touch the mask, don't have goggles, etc. you essentially render the N95 effects null.

Do you have evidence to back up your feelings?

Jan 31, 2018
The cat story:
Belgium government warns pets at risk after cat diagnosed with coronavirus

The Belgian government has advised people to wash their hands before touching their pets after a cat was diagnosed as having contracting the coronavirus from its owner, in an apparent world first, writes Daniel Boffey in Brussels.
During a daily press conference by scientists working with the federal government, virologist Steven Van Gucht, said the infection appeared to be an isolated case and that the animal's health is now improving.

He said: "A week after the owner developed symptoms, the animal also developed symptoms," said virologist Steven Van Gucht. "It was diarrhoea, vomiting and breathing difficulties. The researchers found the virus in the cat's faees. Two dogs were previously reported to have been infected in Hong Kong but neither of those animals had symptoms.

Van Gucht said: "There are no indications that this is common. It is also important to note that it was a transfer from human to animal and not from animal to human. The virus does not normally pass from animal to human. We therefore consider the risk to people to be small. "
The Federal Food Agency in Belgium has made a number of recommendations to protect pets.

If an owner becomes infected with the coronavirus, they are are requested to keep the animal inside and to keep contact between owner and animal to a minimum.

The National Council for Animal Protection (CNPA) said the development should not be a cause of alarm. "Animals are not vectors of the epidemic, so there is no reason to abandon your animal," the organisation said in a statement.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about other places but in Houston raw chicken is sold out everywhere. Apparently COVID-19 makes people want to eat healthy? Meanwhile, vegetable and fish are abundant. I don't get it.

Gabe

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Im Not saying they are Testing everyone. Poster said germany ist not Testing Post mortem at all. Which is flat Out wrong.

I know, i'm not putting words in your mouth, don't worry.
And i'm not saying (nor did i ever) that they "NEVER TEST THE DEAD", what i said was different...no clue why it got so heated so quickly.

^_^''

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
People need to stop being vague and specifically name these places to help emphasize the situation. Not referring to you, Razgriz, just in general.
she explains in followup tweets that she doesn't want to blame the hospital because this is starting to happen all over the medical system but yeah, I'd like to know the name of the hospital too

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I don't know about other places but in Houston raw chicken is sold out everywhere. Apparently COVID-19 makes people want to eat healthy? Meanwhile, vegetable and fish are abundant. I don't get it.
It's not about eating healthy, it's about frozen and prepared options being even harder to obtain, and a lot less people eating at restaurants and fast food. In other words they suddenly "have" to buy fresh if they want chicken.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I agree with this. Just tell the truth ... medical professionals need the masks first and foremost and too many people buying them creates a shortage.

But by trying to add in "well the masks don't do anything" is misleading, if they don't do anything then every medical professional wouldn't insist on having one.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
hmm...is this a good sign?

Nope, we are still getting people infected from before the lockdown, and Paris area is getting saturated (tomorrow should be full saturation and we are a week away minimum from peak there).
We are moving patients from the most impacted areas to offload to other regions... but there's no effort to convert hotels, sports facilities, university campus lodging since there is not enough healthcare personnel to expand beyond the hospital sphere.

We also under report deaths since nursing home, psych wards etc are still outside the scope of current reporting. Starting monday we should have a more complete view of where we stand really.

We are not enough in advance facing the surge of cases, our lockdown was decided too late and people were too carefree entering it.
We also don't have the equipment, practitioners for example have to make do with 6 masks a day (iirc) despite them having 20 to 30 patients per day, which means multiple patients with the same equipment. Nursing homes were promised a few masks... some have received nothing yet.

Health personnel are getting sick, with a few in ICU or already passed away. Most came from outside contamination, since France has no gel readily available (sold out very early) and .. well no masks outside of work...

It's not too bright, there will be consequences.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I agree with this. Just tell the truth ... medical professionals need the masks first and foremost and too many people buying them creates a shortage.

But by trying to add in "well the masks don't do anything" is misleading, if they don't do anything then why every medical professional wouldn't insist on having one.

Because medical professionals are sealing them properly, not taking them off, wearing full protective equipment, and following numerous other procedures that most average people screw up on and render the protection null.

AND yes, medical professionals need them more than most of us.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because medical professionals are sealing them properly, not taking them off, wearing full protective equipment, and following numerous other procedures that most average people screw up on and render the protection null.

AND yes, medical professionals need them more than most of us.

So say that, don't mislead people and claim it doesn't do anything. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put on a N95 mask properly.

It's quite possible the reason why countries like South Korea have a more manageable time with this virus is because of the larger proliferation of people wearing masks. Saying definitively it does nothing without knowing that for sure isn't helpful IMO.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea why people going on cruises still, its insane and reckless,also why are are these cruise lines still open I have no idea.

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for posting this. Mom was telling me about this the other day, but couldn't find the related article to show me.
These numbers change daily, right now citing the newest Numbers vom Robert Koch Institut the M/F Ratio is 54/46.
"Die meisten COVID-19-Fälle sind zwischen 35 und 59 Jahre alt. Männer sind mit 54% aller Fälle etwas häufiger betroffen als Frauen (46%) "

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I think people panic and buy stuff that they know how to cook, instead of buying the stuff that will last them the longest.
If people wanted to eat healthy wouldn't it be the fish and veg that were missing......?

I went grocery shopping this week and ALL the oat milk was gone. ALL OF IT.

Regular milk was fine.

I'm... like, a tad annoyed, because oat milk has been a staple for awhile now, and suddenly I can't even get it because... WHY?! Why can't people just shop for groceries like semi-normal instead of hoarding.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017

But by trying to add in "well the masks don't do anything" is misleading, if they don't do anything then every medical professional wouldn't insist on having one.

N95 masks in medical use (normally, not sure with the supply issue now) are not n95 masks you can buy at home depot. They get tested and fit. They spray sweet aerosol at your face to see if you can taste it. If you can taste it, it's not working.

And to clarify to anyone else. If you were a basic mask in public, you are protecting other people from yourself. You aren't necessarily protecting yourself from other people

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
So say that, don't mislead people and claim it doesn't do anything. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put on a N95 mask properly.

It's quite possible the reason why countries like South Korea have a more manageable time with this virus is because of the larger proliferation of people wearing masks. Saying definitively it does nothing without knowing that for sure isn't helpful IMO.

Not looking to get into an argument with the "nobody but an MD knows how to put on a mask" crowd, but man, this whole "masks do nothing" push is going to age incredibly poorly IMO.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I mean concretely, not feelings
Not calling the southern countries poor that have no idea how to manage and that they should have prepared better after years of austerity measures to follow the rules that northern European countries created would be a good start tbh. Netherlands and Germany stocking the anti-EU feelings in southern Europe (which has always been quite pro-EU).

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

My post did say that...

And most South Koreans aren't wearing N95s walking around, just surgical masks.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hard watch, I still have tears rolling down my face.
Italy, Spain, even France could be running out soon. It's a f* nightmare.

YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
i though madrid was already in lockdown, they are still open?

while i understand this doctor, i don't thing is a matter of money, but simply we don't have enough ventilator on the market to cover this emergencymsince it's on a global scale...most big countries are affected and the ones who are not are still going to keep their own in case the disease spread to them too

So...... do the projections in death count the lack of ventilators? What would the death rate be without them?
i doubt any country is gonna release official numbers on how many people they had to leave to die

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not looking to get into an argument with the "nobody but an MD knows how to put on a mask" crowd, but man, this whole "masks do nothing" push is going to age incredibly poorly IMO.

Stop. No one is saying "masks do nothing." Understand the nuance here.

1. Surgical masks will solve a huge portion of the concerns for most of the population. For N95s to be effective you need to be very careful with the other ways you are acting and dressing.

2. There is a shortage of PPE for medical professionals. People who are siting 6 inches away from critical patients for hours a day. Patients that will eventually be people you love. Your kids, your partner, you.

So let's consider that maybe, those two factors mean we SHOULD be giving them to medical professionals and making do with surgical masks or homemade ones.

This is not the same as saying "masks do nothing." Stop with that straw man.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
www.tz.de

Till Lindemann (Rammstein) in Krankenhaus: Hat er sich doch mit dem Coronavirus infiziert?

Schock für alle Fans von Rammstein: Frontmann Till Lindemann befand sich auf einer Intensivstation in Berlin. Es gibt weiter Rätselraten über die Hintergründe.

Oh no...
Bands facebook
"Yesterday evening Till Lindemann was admitted to a hospital on the band's doctor's advice. He spent the night in intensive care but has been moved as he is feeling better. Till has tested negative for the coronavirus."

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Stop. No one is saying "masks do nothing." Understand the nuance here.

1. Surgical masks will solve a huge portion of the concerns for most of the population. For N95s to be effective you need to be very careful with the other ways you are acting and dressing.

2. There is a shortage of PPE for medical professionals. People who are siting 6 inches away from critical patients for hours a day. Patients that will eventually be people you love. Your kids, your partner, you.

So let's consider that maybe, those two factors mean we SHOULD be giving them to medical professionals and making do with surgical masks or homemade ones.

This is not the same as saying "masks do nothing." Stop with that straw man.

I'm not even talking about you. I didn't mention you, so I don't know why you think I was. I was speaking generally. People in real life around where I am berate people in masks, saying that they do nothing. The psyop is real, and it is penetrating into the general public.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
This is fascinating.

Essentially, 10,000 (Ohio) cases a day would be good news, as it would mean we flattened the curve.

God bless Dewine for being one of the few Red state governors to be handling this as well as he has.

I'm so worried for my mom and dad back home while I'm here in Cali, so it's a bit of a relief that he's doing his job.

Of course Dr. Amy Acton deserves a lot of credit as well, she's fantastic.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
?

We know some. And my point is that a surgical mask DOES help and it IS enough for most people when medical professionals don't have enough of what they need.

I'm just saying generally there was a very aggressive movement to put down the usage of masks as doing nothing.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if 1-2 years from now we learn that even what were dubbed sub-optimal masks like a large portion of population in South Korea wear did in fact help keep their transmission rate low.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
me and my wife went to cvs and a local Indian store to shop

People giving us weird looks because we came in with gloves...better be safe than sorry