• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone heard of the stuff referenced in this link? Apparently just scheduled this sanitizing deep clean spraying of our office to happen next weekend. Costs about $10,000 to spray down our entire site. We haven't had any positive cases in our office yet, so they're just being proactive.

https://multi-clean.com/electrostatic-spraying-new-tool-effective-disinfecting-sanitzing/

Yes, the DMV in CT is using it on one of their offices this weekend. But yeah,the next time people come back in the office someone could be carrying it.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
Has anyone heard of the stuff referenced in this link? Apparently just scheduled this sanitizing deep clean spraying of our office to happen next weekend. Costs about $10,000 to spray down our entire site. We haven't had any positive cases in our office yet, so they're just being proactive.

https://multi-clean.com/electrostatic-spraying-new-tool-effective-disinfecting-sanitzing/

I don't get this. The virus lives up to 3 days on surfaces and most of it dies much earlier so the risk is already minimal after 2 days. If the office is closed in the weekend, then 2,5 days will have passed from Friday night to Monday morning.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did they every give a reason why Italy is getting hit so hard? Or is there still no actual definitive answer yet?
older population on average is for sure a factor , also the whole thing started in the most populous region in the entire country, lots of cities with high density population
and that's without counting when they reached full capacity in their hospitals, but tbh they were having already an high number of deaths before that.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Why is Italy still getting hit hard? Is the lockdown not having a widespread effect?

People who were already sick but not showing symptoms

People who are ignoring the lock down

Medical personnel getting ill from patients

People getting ill from family members who they're quarantined with

People who were obviously sick for days but only just got tested

Plenty of reasons

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the food scenario is.....well sucks. Because even though I stocked up for months I'm already almost out. I really need to learn to eat less.

I feel like I have to reset my quarantine clock another 2 weeks Everytime I go to a supermarket.

I just wish there was a test to show if I already had it you know? That I beat it and I'm someone who just had mild symptoms because man I need to help my parents and I can't and it sucks

I'm right there with you, it all sucks. My in-laws both have preexisting conditions that put them at risk and all I can do is sit around and feel helpless, waiting for a disaster that may or may not come.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I just wish there was a test to show if I already had it you know? That I beat it and I'm someone who just had mild symptoms because man I need to help my parents and I can't and it sucks
Right? I was thinking the same thing. Imagine all of the possible undue anxiety a lot of people probably have over this and they may even have already had it and not even known. What made me come back down to level was me figuring even if I or my family was infected, at least one of us would have some sort of symptoms, I find it really hard to believe we'd all be asymptomatic.

My guess it's a lot of factors. Lots of crowded urban centers with an older population than most places, and which tend to be filled with lots of places tourists want to visit. For spread I don't think you can point to one clear smoking gun but I think the specific lethality there is a matter of age.
older population on average is for sure a factor , also the whole thing started in the most populous region in the entire country, lots of cities with high density population
and that's without counting when they reached full capacity in their hospitals, but tbh they were having already an high number of deaths before that.

Ok that's what I was figuring. Between the density of the population as well as the age. It's so tragic though, Italy's average age will definitely be decreasing after this is all said and done :(

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Italy is far from alone, it's simply ahead of the curve which is why it's getting the headlines. Spain, France and UK are all on track for this (Spain's actually on track for worse).

Yeah I remember seeing a video of someone in Spain showing the obituaries in their newspaper in February and then during the outbreak and it went from like a page to over 6 pages. It turned my stomach.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My wife's uncle in Sicily told us they saw on local TV that the recovery period for mild to moderate symptoms is 14-21 days, from the date of first symptom.
I have no way of verifying that, but it would explain a lot I'd what is happening there.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the point of this. If you have the virus on your office surfaces, that means that someone with the virus is in your office. And you're more likely to get it from them than the surfaces, and the surfaces will have the virus on them again the instant the infected person is back in the office.
Unless they are sanitizing the actual people working in the office, this just seems like a business making fat profits off a tragedy.

Sure it's sensible to clean an environment properly, but people are the disease vector here. Get rid of the people and send them home so they can't spread anything to others.

I had the same reaction, but our company is essential so we're going to have employees in and out all the time. So far, no one has been sick nor tested positive that has to come into our office.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Did they every give a reason why Italy is getting hit so hard? Or is there still no actual definitive answer yet?
There isn't a clear answer, at the moment. It could be a combination of multiple factors, starting from the fact that Italy was the first European country to be hit.
What is certain, is that we have been quite unlucky..

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
People who were already sick but not showing symptoms

People who are ignoring the lock down

Medical personnel getting ill from patients

People getting ill from family members who they're quarantined with

People who were obviously sick for days but only just got tested

Plenty of reasons

Symptom lag as well. The positive cases haven't been going up as exponentially, but the death rate has still been going up because the worst of it doesn't hit till 7-14 days into it. They are also performing war time triage which means people who might be possible to save can't be because they don't have the personnel, capacity or medical supplies to help older people coming into medical centers. This is it what likely will happen to most communities who can't properly isolate and test its population. It got out of control well before the lockdown, and people who are sick aren't being pulled away from family and friends who in turn get those people sick. The rate is still lower then it would have been without the shutdown, and that just shows how scary this could have been with minimal care which is happening in some states here in the US ;/

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Strange how italy is still getting a linear but steady influx of new cases despite the lockdown...were all those people already infected before everything was shut down?
The lockdown isn't gonna suddenly stop the virus, people are still gonna get infected. Plus, sympthoms can still show up until 14 days after the virus, the lockdown started on the 12th.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok that's what I was figuring. Between the density of the population as well as the age. It's so tragic though, Italy's average age will definitely be decreasing after this is all said and done :(
hopefully that's not the case, it wwould mean a shitload more people died.

this is the age situation in italy as of 2018

TcP67H3.png

on a regional levek maybe, but on the grand total all those deaths are a drop in the ocean, and hopefully they will still be at the end of all this.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
The lockdown worked. The number of cases and deaths are both increasing subexponentially in Italy. Sadly this is what a successful lockdown looks like if you do it a week or two too late.

One of the traumatic things about these is the initial quietness outside the house holds early on.... but as we've seen in Italy and other places, that quietness turns into medical sirens of people being taken to Hospitals...

It's happing here and there in San Francisco, but if/when it picks up...I'm going to have to start playing the TV to drown out the sirens.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017

Well theres been a few things said that I have seen and I don't know how true some of it is.

Ageing population, large portion of the population smokes and then you have cultural things like how they greet each other, hugs and kisses and how its not uncommon to have 3 or 4 generations under one roof.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Really depends on the treatment.

It feels like if all these rumors of antivirals and such working were true then we'd actually see some progress, but we're not really.

They need to test the drugs to see if it's really working on Covid. These drugs are known not to be toxic to humans, but they can still have big secondary effects, which some could lead to death.

We should know more in May.

Damn the situation in Italy is terrible.

Bad Advice

Jan 8, 2019
I still can't believe we're going through this. Not the kind of historical event I wanted to be a part of. Poor italy, makes my heart ache.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Is that the confidence interval? Because..
This is the comment to the chart:
Mean age of patients dying for COVID-2019 infection was 78 (median 79, range 30-100, IQR 73 -85). Women were 2,012 (29.6%). Figure 1 shows that median age of patients dying for COVID-2019 infection was more than 15 years higher as compared with the national sample diagnosed with COVID-2019 infection (median age 63 years). Figure 2 shows the absolute number of deaths by age group. Women dying for COVID-2019 infection had an older age than men (median age women 82 - median age men 78).

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Why doesn't Piñera kick him out? We just recently change the Peruvian Health Minister to somebody with more experience regarding public health.

According to the very health minister, he's untouchable. Also, Piñera is probably misinformed too, several ministers left before all of this blew up, but he hasn't fired anyone since October last year.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
They just got hit first. Spain and others are going to get hit too.

Italy is a big tourist destination for Chinese. That's probably why they got hit earlier.
Ok yeah I remember reading something back in January that was basically saying how this outbreak started at the worst possible time for China with the Lunar New Year. I wonder how things would have been different if the outbreak didn't really start getting worse until a month later.

hopefully that's not the case, it wwould mean a shitload more people died.

this is the age situation in italy as of 2018

TcP67H3.png

on a regional levek maybe, but on the grand total all those deaths are a drop in the ocean, and hopefully they will still be at the end of all this.

Ah ok. That's just the worst part for me is seeing the totals and whatnot.