• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I'm starting to think that the US has a different strain of this than Europe or even China.
Because Chinese numbers have shown 0.2% mortality in people under 50, and while I understand people being wary of Chinese numbers, Italian official statistics from week ago shown that out of 800+ dead, just 12 were under 50 and the Italian government said "more than 99% of the dead had at least one serious comorbidity".

It's hard to reconcile with all these posts and tweets from the US saying "a friend's friend who was 30/40 and perfectly healthy just died from this".
I wonder if it's a different strain or just younger folks in the U.S. having different problems that complicate their health with regards to combating this virus. Millennials and gen Z in the U.S. are people who are living with constant stress, anxiety and both of those effect immune systems in negative ways, Let alone the fact that We have an obesity crisis too.

Not saying those issues aren't in other countries but they are a big problem in the U.S.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I'm starting to think that the US has a different strain of this than Europe or even China.
Because Chinese numbers have shown 0.2% mortality in people under 50, and while I understand people being wary of Chinese numbers, Italian official statistics from week ago shown that out of 800+ dead, just 12 were under 50 and the Italian government said "more than 99% of the dead had at least one serious comorbidity".

It's hard to reconcile with all these posts and tweets from the US saying "a friend's friend who was 30/40 and perfectly healthy just died from this".

Because of the personal definition of "healthy". Most people don't even know they have high blood pressure or know it but don't medicate. And high blood pressure is one of the highest co-morbidities with Covid.
The same with Asthma. people can live a life without any symptoms for years if they were treated, but Asthma is also a very high-risk co-morbidity with Covid.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Until there are stats that show otherwise, I would disregard any anecdotal evidence of younger (seemingly healthy) people dying more frequently in the US.

We heard similar stories in Italy only to find out later, when stats were available, that very few had died relative to older age groups.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017

Posts and tweets aren't statistics, and 0.2% isn't nobody. Those are still people that others will post and tweet about.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
The same with Asthma. people can live a life without any symptoms for years if they were treated, but Asthma is also a very high-risk co-morbidity with Covid.

Source on this? According to a short article from Finnish allergy and asthma federation (sorry, don't have an English source) from two days ago, you're not in the high risk group if your asthma stays under control with medication (i.e. you don't experience asthma attacks or regular shortness of breath) or if you only need to take medication for seasonal asthma.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Source on this? According to the Finnish allergy and asthma federation (sorry, don't have an English source), you're not in the high risk group if your asthma stays under control with medication (i.e. you don't experience asthma attacks or regular shortness of breath) or if you only need to take medication for seasonal asthma.
don't have it on hand, only saw the listing of co-morbidities and Asthma was listed on it without any clarification

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe 40-70% in America, and that number is definitely not inevitable in many other or most countries.

Only repeating what the german "CDC" is saying. The disease is pretty infectious and will keep on inevitably spreading, our best hope is to slow the infection down till a vaccine arrives next year. The only way to stop the spread entirely is to keep regions in total lockdown, which is not possible for a year.
So no, 60-70% is realistic, if there is no vaccine at all or if it arrives very late. This goes for every country.

OP
OP
wandering

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Source on this? According to a short article from Finnish allergy and asthma federation (sorry, don't have an English source) from two days ago, you're not in the high risk group if your asthma stays under control with medication (i.e. you don't experience asthma attacks or regular shortness of breath) or if you only need to take medication for seasonal asthma.

There's conflicting info from American sources; the CDC states that asthmatic individuals might be at more risk, but the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology states there's no evidence as such.

www.cdc.gov

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a virus (more specifically, a coronavirus) identified as the cause of an outbreak of respiratory illness first detected in Wuhan, China.

www.aaaai.org

COVID-19 and Asthma: What Patients Need to Know | AAAAI

The AAAAI offers articles written and reviewed by experts on asthma. This article talks about COVID-19 and asthma: what patients need to know.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017

no evidence for different strains and it's very unlikely a virus would suddenly become much deadlier when it already is spreading so well.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
Question for those with the symptoms : do you (sometimes) get a nasty, metallic taste in your mouth when you have to cough?

Was just wondering as i am sitting at home (coughing, slime, slight pain in chest from time to time, no fever, no feeling sick, not tested) and i get the taste since a week.

I'm experiencing the same these past few days. Blamed my imagination for this,but now that I see someone else talking about it. Exactly the same taste and exactly the same symptoms here. Maybe allergies?

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Until there are stats that show otherwise, I would disregard any anecdotal evidence of younger (seemingly healthy) people dying more frequently in the US.

We heard similar stories in Italy only to find out later, when stats were available, that very few had died relative to older age groups.

Not sure who is saying they're dying more frequently, but younger people seem to be getting sick and dying more than the original advice that said young people were mostly immune to it.

This NYC doctor is on the front lines and is alarmed by the number of young people coming in with severe cases of it.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Question for those with the symptoms : do you (sometimes) get a nasty, metallic taste in your mouth when you have to cough?

Was just wondering as i am sitting at home (coughing, slime, slight pain in chest from time to time, no fever, no feeling sick, not tested) and i get the taste since a week.
Covid is a dry cough, so if you are coughing up slime, it's more likely to be a cold.

OP
OP
wandering

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017

I'm experiencing the same these past few days. Blamed my imagination for this,but now that I see someone else talking about it. Exactly the same taste and exactly the same symptoms here. Maybe allergies?

Changes in taste and smell have been reported in cases of COVID. Taken alone it's not yet a reason to freak out, but keep an eye on your symptoms and consider calling a medical provider if you start feeling worse. The things to be looking out for are dry cough, fever, and difficulty breathing.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
I keep reading where some experts are predicting 80k to near a million deaths from Covid-19 in the US. One said in the next four months there will be 80,000 deaths in the US like I just don't get how when it looks to be nowhere near that figure elsewhere especially China with 4 times the population in account

Italy are on 8000+ deaths and are adding around 600-700 a day still. The bulk of deaths might be 15-20k in Italy. US is 5.5 times the population of Italy. US has a lot of space between most areas and less contact culture but I see it eventually getting around, seems to be the case with all western countries and the ambivalence towards it and perhaps worse health in US will be a factor.

Oct 28, 2017
Beerse, Belgium

as far as I know, I don't have any allergies

I have been reading a bit these past few days and an infection could cause that taste, so a 'simple' bronchitis is also a possibility

the uncertainty is frustrating to say the least!

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Only repeating what the german "CDC" is saying. The disease is pretty infectious and will keep on inevitably spreading, our best hope is to slow the infection down till a vaccine arrives next year. The only way to stop the spread entirely is to keep regions in total lockdown, which is not possible for a year.
So no, 60-70% is realistic, if there is no vaccine at all or if it arrives very late. This goes for every country.

The key is the time frame in which it will infect those 70%. Over two or three years? That's reasonable.
Over three months? That's apocalyptic.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
One of my coworkers traveled to Europe a few weeks back and got the virus. He self quarantined since his return but he told me doing the most basic movement winded him, he had the dry cough, fever, muscle fatigue, and also the loss of taste and smell. I think he's gotten over it, but it was interesting to hear a first hand account.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's conflicting info from American sources; the CDC states that asthmatic individuals might be at more risk, but the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology states there's no evidence as such.

www.cdc.gov

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a virus (more specifically, a coronavirus) identified as the cause of an outbreak of respiratory illness first detected in Wuhan, China.

www.aaaai.org

COVID-19 and Asthma: What Patients Need to Know | AAAAI

The AAAAI offers articles written and reviewed by experts on asthma. This article talks about COVID-19 and asthma: what patients need to know.
As an asthmatic this is putting me at ease a bit. Though this time of year can be brutal for it even if it is under control

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
So, uh...I've started coughing pretty much constantly ever since this morning and I've noticed over the course of the day that the joints in my arms and wrists have started aching and parts of my body feel oddly cold. My city is completely sold out of oral thermometers...am I in bad shape or could it just be something else?

For the record, I don't think I have a fever, my chest otherwise feels fine aside from the annoying cough, and I can still definitely smell and taste things. But I'm starting to have an anxiety attack anyway because of the possibility of it all.
Well, my symptoms are getting worse. I'm lying in bed right now and the entire lower half of my body has started trembling, especially my legs and ESPECIALLY my knees. I can't feel any pain in my head at all, but the shivering keeps coming in like ridiculously intense ten-minute waves before fading.

I hate this. I hate not knowing if what I have is COVID or just some other closely aligned bug. My anxiety is flaring out of control.
If nothing else, I guess maybe remember the scary thing isn't the virus exactly, but the Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome that uncommonly comes with the virus, and it doesn't sound like you're experiencing those symptoms. Until you get those emergency warning signs, I guess whether or not what you have is COVID is kinda irrelevant.

But honestly it really sounds like you might have it, especially since shivering can be a sign of a fever. If you can call a doctors office, I would. They probably don't want you coming in right now, but a phone call probably isn't much trouble for them and might really help you.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
If we can stop community spread and let it burn out, maybe we can join South Korea in contact tracing and localized shutdowns. We have a fiu detection system. But this requires more testing, a nimble and declicated federal and state response.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If we can stop community spread and let it burn out, maybe we can join South Korea in contact tracing and localized shutdowns. We have a fiu detection system. But this requires more testing, a nimble and declicated federal and state response.

According to a leaked german paper that's the exit strategy in germany too.

The lock-down will be uphold to prepare hospitals (as much as possible) and to build up testing till it reaches at least 200k/day (currently at ~500k/week).
Once that goal is reached and the infection rate is at a low point they'll start slowly opening things. But only in phases, like not opening all school grades at once, but certain age groups first. Not all shops, but certain things first etc.
Slowly and controlled, while putting individuals in quarantine like crazy, contact tracing and always prepared to roll everything back into total lockdown if things start getting out of control.

Problem is that a total lockdown can not be maintained till next year, when a vaccine should become available. That controlled isolation and exit strategy could be the reasonable thing to do. It is risky though and things could easily go very bad.

But as you said: Seems to work in South Korea... hopefully.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's a little scary how living under quarantine just feels matter of fact now. Two weeks ago everything seemed scary and dangerous and like the world could end at any moment. Now life is just a matter of staying clean, avoiding people, and never going anywhere. I think if this goes on for a while, it's going to be really difficult to adjust to "normal" life again.

Naru

May 11, 2019
Is anyone else spraying any packages they get w/ disinfectant spray?

I feel like I'm crazy but I make sure I spray down every package I get w/ disinfectant, wipe down anything in the box I can, wash my hands after.

Is spraying my packages worth it
I do it and remove packages if I can. Some people leave stuff outside for 2-3 days but I think that's a bit too much for me.

jolenar

Apr 2, 2019
Can anyone recommend a radio station in NYC or the US to listen to for people outsider of US who want to keep up on the reporting of the situation in NYC?

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Dutch Finance Minister has basically enraged the whole Med region plus Portugal after sayind that it should be investigated why countries like Italy and Spain have no money to fight the pandemic after years of European post-crisis growth. Not only that ignores that their recovery has not been on the same pace as the Netherlands' but that they were among the worst hit by the crisis *and* by COVID so far.

Actual statement of the Portuguese PM coming in defence of Spain.

I'm a turbofederalist. In no small part because I want to avoid these situations in the future. But there's no denying that the way the Netherlands is approaching the situation in regards to other member states is grotesque bordering on ghoulish. Coupled with the horrible PR from the EU itself, this could be far more damaging that Brexit. Governments need to get their shit together. Now.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018

This is the strategy after the initial lockdown and stopping the exponential curve in pretty much every country.
Severe lockdown for a month, to blunt the curve and prepare the hospitals and systems, and then hopefully gradual loosening of restrictions with preemptive contact tracing and dynamic smaller shutdowns where necessary.

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dutch Finance Minister has basically enraged the whole Med region plus Portugal after sayind that it should be investigated why countries like Italy and Spain have no money to fight the pandemic after years of European post-crisis growth. Not only that ignores that their recovery has not been on the same pace as the Netherlands' but that they were among the worst hit by the crisis *and* by COVID so far.

Actual statement of the Portuguese PM coming in defence of Spain.

I'm a turbofederalist. In no small part because I want to avoid these situations in the future. But there's no denying that the way the Netherlands is approaching the situation in regards to other member states is grotesque bordering on ghoulish. Coupled with the horrible PR from the EU itself, this could be far more damaging that Brexit. Governments need to get their shit together. Now.

That Dutch minister can fuck off, he is ignoring the fact that the fiscal constraints imposed by the EU damaged the healthcare systems of the mediterranean countries. Those declarations are revolting.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I'm way more short of breath today, as in having trouble at rest, but still no fever, so still no reason to send me to the hospital...

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah definitely positive I have it now. Moved into my lungs. Slightly more difficult to breathe now and I'm having trouble falling asleep, but luckily I'm conscious and lucid.

Lets see how long it takes to beat this.
Actual shortness of breath and difficulty breathing means that you should probably go to a hospital. Have you been tested? You might need respiratory support and at the very least monitoring in case things get worse.

Vlodril

Dec 18, 2017
That Dutch minister can fuck off, he is ignoring the fact that the fiscal constraints imposed by the EU damaged the healthcare systems of the mediterranean countries. Those declarations are revolting.

As someone that visits a hospital every couple of weeks in Greece i can tell you that the personnel on the hospital was cut by more than half during the crisis and it still hasn't gotten much better.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
Positive cases in Indonesia just broke through one thousand couple hours ago.
nasional.kompas.com

UPDATE: Pasien Tambah 153, Total Ada 1.046 Kasus Covid-19 di Indonesia

Berdasarkan data yang diterima hingga Jumat (27/3/2020) pukul 12.00 WIB, total ada 1.046 kasus Covid-19 di Indonesia.

And we just started testing + no indication to declare lockdown status from the top too, just ineffectual urging to practice social distancing as usual. It's only been up to individual mayors and provincial govmnt taking the lead of closing down public gatherings/activities so far. I fear the numbers are going to further blow up in a couple days, a week tops.

We have so many medical workers infected, senior doctors dying and still some people here argghhhh....
www.channelnewsasia.com

'We are worried,' say Indonesian healthcare workers as COVID-19 takes toll on medical system

JAKARTA: On Saturday (Mar 21), Dr Djoko Judodjoko breathed his last in a Jakarta hospital.The 70-year-old, who had underlying health conditions, was treated for COVID-19 earlier.He was one of the seven doctors nationwide who contracted coronavirus and eventually passed away, according

Thankfully I've been working from home for about a week now and preparing for longer, best case are until end of May at this rate.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017

Yeap. They are not reading the room at all. I'm also a "turbofederalist" and this attitude now makes me very pessimistic about the future of EU. There's a huge difference between being pragmatic and showing no empathy and understanding of the situation and what partially caused it, outside of the virus itself. And even the pragmatic part of this approach fails in my opinion since this has the potential to be a much worse economic crisis than 2008+. And eurozone almost crumbled then.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So there is a rapid 30 minute test which is FDA approved which is portable and doesn't require a lab to get the results.

www.forbes.com

FDA Approves More ‘Rapid’ COVID-19 Coronavirus Tests For Use On Frontlines

The U. S. Food and Drug Administration is approving more rapid molecular diagnostic tests that can be used in temporary screening locations, doctor’s office labs and nursing homes to detect the Coronavirus strain COVID-19 in less than a half hour.

There's another one that does the same thing in 45 minutes.

Wouldn't it make sense to spend more money on this type of test that could deployed at like every Wal-Mart, grocery chain, shopping mall parking lot?

How many of these could a government buy with say a billion dollars?

My personal feeling is in the long run it may just be cheaper to test everyone. You get tested twice over a 4 week period, that should parse out people who have the infection and put them into quarantine.

Not that it's a big priority at this point, but this type of test could also be something that works for resuming pro sports events eventually ... show up 1 hour early to get tested and only a clean test gets you into the venue. You pay a surcharge for the testing.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Yeap. They are not reading the room at all. I'm also a "turbofederalist" and this attitude now makes me very pessimistic about the future of EU. There's a huge difference between being pragmatic and showing no empathy and understanding of the situation and what partially caused it, outside of the virus itself. And even the pragmatic part of this approach fails in my opinion since this has the potential to be a much worse economic crisis than 2008+. And eurozone almost crumbled then.
This is also important

The same people who abhor the EU because of its "overbearing control" routinely railed against measures that could have helped. And those who believe in the EU, ignored them because they cost money.

Western nations in general are in dire need to proper leadership. We are where we are because we've become complacent. Because people thought that money could buy perpetual safety and that shipping your manufacturing base to China could never come to bite us in a time of desperate need.