• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So we were at Disneyland (my wife, myself and our birthday boy, 8 year old) for 3 days, 2 days before it closed. Have been home since because both of our jobs preemptively told all of their employees to do so. That said my wife started getting sick 9-10 days after it closed. Symptoms were a low fever ranging from 99-101 depending on the day and time, a mild cough, and general cruddy feeling. It's persisted for a while and we tried to get her tested but we're told she didn't meet the pre-requsite guidelines here in AZ (my wife also works in as an occupational therapist at schools, assisted living facilities and a hospital). She hasn't gotten better so we tried again today and they told her to come immediately (I wasn't allowed to accompany her) to one of the 3 mobile testing sites they've set up.

Unfortunately it may take up to 7 days to get results but glad we finally can find put our minds at rest. Whole I hope it's negative, I can't lie and say a part of me doesn't hope she(we) have it and everything is mild so we can stop living in fear, recover, and move on.

Guess now we wait. Either way, were stuck inside for a while. Luckily o bought a ton from Costco a while back so no need to leave the house for a month+ of necessary.

Last edited:

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
So we were at Disneyland (my wife, myself and our birthday boy, 8 year old) for 3 days, 2 days before it closed. Have been home since because both of our jobs preemptively told all of their employees to do so. That said my wife started getting sick 9-10 days after it closed. Symptoms were a low fever ranging from 99-101 depending on the day and time, a mild cough, and general cruddy feeling. It's persisted for a while and we tried to get her tested but we're told she didn't meet the pre-requsite guidelines here in AZ (my wife also works in as an occupational therapist at schools, assisted living facilities and a hospital). She hasn't gotten better so we tried again today and they told her to come immediately (I wasn't allowed to accompany her) to one of the 3 mobile testing sites they've set up.

Unfortunately it may take up to 7 days to get results but glad we finally can find out to put our minds at rest. Whole I hope it's negative, I can't lie and say a part of me doesn't hope she(we) have it and everything is mild so we can stop living in fear, recover, and move on.

Guess now we wait. Either way, were stuck inside for a while. Luckily o bought a ton from Costco a while back so no need to leave the house for a month+ of necessary.

I hope she's ok, but also hope she didn't unknowingly help spread it.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
projects.sfchronicle.com

Coronavirus Map: Tracking COVID-19 cases across the Bay Area and California

Track the spread of COVID-19 cases in the Bay Area and California and get live updates with The San Francisco Chronicle's exclusive map, the only comprehensive coronavirus case tracker for the region.

Cali cracked 4k cases tonight.

Interestingly up until now the bay area has had approximately 40% of the total cases in California. We're now running down to about a third. I'm probably overanalyzing because I'm bored out of my mind, but I hope that it's because we're going on our second week of shelter, and we had a whole week of work from home for tech companies the week before.

It almost feels like a "silent killer". Like here I sm in my home looking outside where seemingly nothing is happening, and yet look at the Bay Area cases and deaths. It's just... hard to believe.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
It almost feels like a "silent killer". Like here I sm in my home looking outside where seemingly nothing is happening, and yet look at the Bay Area cases and deaths. It's just... hard to believe.

I still have to go into work at a hospital and it's still hard to believe. I work in outpatient as a nurse in an office, but still.

We've canceled all our procedures and our docs are doing the visits through telehealth from home... But we still have to come in for "reasons".

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone, I know we all don't know each other personally, but just wanted to say I'm thinking of all of you on here and hope you and your family's are safe.

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
the local grocery store shut down today because one of the employees tested positive for coronavirus... a week ago. i've been in there like 3 times in that period lol

we're so screwed

Downhome

Oct 27, 2017
I love the weather channel app update. I just realized that in our town of 27,000 we are up to 21 cases so far. I have heard that at least two or three were folks working in local factories so I completely expect that number to go up substantially in the next few days.

Feb 21, 2018
I'm hearing about people wanting to get tested and I don't understand the importance of it if you're already in a stay at home state. I'm already treating everyone I see as if they and myself have it, everywhere is closed except the grocery store so it's not like we need doctors notes to be excused. Say I do get tested, it's not like the doctors are going to treat me better or even give me any medicine besides paracetamol. Hospitals aren't requiring a test to be hooked up to a ventilator are they? Why do we care about test availability?

ironichaos

Oct 31, 2017
I'm hearing about people wanting to get tested and I don't understand the importance of it if you're already in a stay at home state. I'm already treating everyone I see as if they and myself have it, everywhere is closed except the grocery store so it's not like we need doctors notes to be excused. Say I do get tested, it's not like the doctors are going to treat me better or even give me any medicine besides paracetamol. Hospitals aren't requiring a test to be hooked up to a ventilator are they? Why do we care about test availability?

Because not all of us live alone and/or overall peace of mind.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

We really gonna act like the US government can't spare a billion dollars right now?
Did the money printer break or something?

On one hand I'm glad to hear large contracts like this is being explored, otoh it being suddenly killed makes me worried that trump is killing it out of spite for NYC.

Irony if that is the case is that this big of a project isn't going to start producing these ventilators for several months — this would without a doubt be life saving for states that are going to be in NYs situation a few months down the road, but NY themselves probably would have already gotten past their worst spikes by then.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So I had an interesting anecdote with my sister and her SO.

A while ago like in mid January they both got super sick and their symptoms were a high fever, coughing, headaches, and I think body aches. They even had to visit the ER and the doctors tested them for regular flus and ended up being negative. They even mentioned that it was a mysterious virus they couldn't identify at the time.

So there's a chance they probably got Corona and it was circulating around places like Irvine as early as January. If it was Corona then that's a relief as I was deathly worried about them being here with their kid for the sake of my mom and ironically she was visiting them a lot during this time and I was even roped into these visits and I swear I also ended up getting sick around that time but it was mainly sneezing rather than coughing or whatever. Kind of interesting looking back but until they take an anti body test or worse get the Virus still we may never know

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
The more data we have, the more easily we can track it down without having everyone in lock up.

It's vital to have accurate numbers of sick in general. and then from those sick you trace where they have been and test the people they may have come in contact with.

with that information you can potentially catch people before they show symptoms, and potentially get most of the sick people off the street to spread. You won't stop it, but having enough tests for everyone to get tested is vital to being able to get it under control without shut in orders all the time.

it's why the "only get a test if you feel bad" is a bad position to be in as we should be testing everyone who wants it at this point. We had time to order the tests, and testing people gives us more data and those people ease of mind. but alas we didn't take it seriously so we don't have nearly enough tests to do that. Thus the shut down will need to be in place for 2 months or so while we build up our testing abilities and give companies time to better check people coming and going.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
From my understanding knowing who has it, severe or not, allows physicians to track the spread and reduce it. It's how China and South Korea were able to get their situations under control.

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017

A while ago like in mid January they both got super sick and their symptoms were a high fever, coughing, headaches, and I think body aches. They even had to visit the ER and the doctors tested them for regular flus and ended up being negative. They even mentioned that it was a mysterious virus they couldn't identify at the time.

So there's a chance they probably got Corona and it was circulating around places like Irvine as early as January.

Could have also been a really bad flu. Last nov I caught a horrible flu for two weeks and was stuck inside the house coughing and wheezing and fever. It seems to have been a rough year flu wise even without this virus on top of it.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I was at the grocery store today.

Some jackass pulled down his mask and coughed inches away from a cashier's face, then laughed and said "I'm just playing with you". Granted, they put up a glass pane between cashiers and the customers, but still... So fucking obnoxious.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Its more a peace of mind kinda thing; you come in we test you and re-enforce that you need to stay at home and self quarantine until we call you with you results. We call and you're positive for COVID? Well you're already doing the treatment so keep doing it.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
qGvLZgI.png

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
It would be helpful to have more statistics about how exactly people are getting this, whether that be in contact with someone infected, unknown origin, or somewhere in between.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Because it's not just about you.

You have to keep a couple of things in mind:

1.) 60-70% of the population will eventually get sick.
2.) 20% of infected people will need hospital care, even young people.
3.) It's important to not overwhelm health systems. The spread has to be slowed down.
4.) A vaccine won't be available before next year.
5.) It will not be possible to lock down the world for the next 12 months...

... and that's where testing comes into play. Very high, daily and reliable testing will allow to quicker and more reliable isolate infected people and the people they had contact with. This could allow to slow down the spread significantly, without having to shut down everything. It seems to kind of work in South Korea currently.

Hopefully, in the coming months, countries will be able to test potentially infected people on a daily basis, people with mild symptoms without traceable infection chains, do even some blind testing etc.
But you'll need to have as much base data as possible to be able to isolate individual groups, instead of entire regions.
You can only make decisions and plan into the future if you see the enemy and understand what is going on. Testing is crucial, stopping the infection impossible, but slowing it down absolutely necessary.

Feb 21, 2018
The more data we have, the more easily we can track it down without having everyone in lock up.

It's vital to have accurate numbers of sick in general. and then from those sick you trace where they have been and test the people they may have come in contact with.

with that information you can potentially catch people before they show symptoms, and potentially get most of the sick people off the street to spread. You won't stop it, but having enough tests for everyone to get tested is vital to being able to get it under control without shut in orders all the time.

it's why the "only get a test if you feel bad" is a bad position to be in as we should be testing everyone who wants it at this point. We had time to order the tests, and testing people gives us more data and those people ease of mind. but alas we didn't take it seriously so we don't have nearly enough tests to do that. Thus the shut down will need to be in place for 2 months or so while we build up our testing abilities and give companies time to better check people coming and going.
I live near one of the epicenters and I'm just treating myself and everyone as if we have it regardless of symptoms. I think you're right that some people simply won't change their behavior unless given a diagnosis and government quarantine order. I wish everyone was a paranoid hermit like myself.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
EDIT: maybe disconfirmed, at least for that hospital network. Probably not long off from the need to ration being made official somewhere in any case.

Last edited:

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone else spraying any packages they get w/ disinfectant spray?

I feel like I'm crazy but I make sure I spray down every package I get w/ disinfectant, wipe down anything in the box I can, wash my hands after.

Is spraying my packages worth it

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well, my symptoms are getting worse. I'm lying in bed right now and the entire lower half of my body has started trembling, especially my legs and ESPECIALLY my knees. I can't feel any pain in my head at all, but the shivering keeps coming in like ridiculously intense ten-minute waves before fading.

I hate this. I hate not knowing if what I have is COVID or just some other closely aligned bug. My anxiety is flaring out of control.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So is Trump gonna be impeached and tried a second time before the election for his negligence and dereliction of duty?

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone else spraying any packages they get w/ disinfectant spray?

I feel like I'm crazy but I make sure I spray down every package I get w/ disinfectant, wipe down anything in the box I can, wash my hands after.

Is spraying my packages worth it
I mean, probably a good idea. I have something I'm hoping I'll be able to pick up something next week (dumb video game stuff) and I intend to just handle that with gloves and with clorox/lysol wipes at the ready>.>

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
I live near one of the epicenters and I'm just treating myself and everyone as if we have it regardless of symptoms. I think you're right that some people simply won't change their behavior unless given a diagnosis and government quarantine order. I wish everyone was a paranoid hermit like myself.
It's not about forcing people to take the situation seriously, it's about being able to apply the most aggressive quarantine measures in a targeted way. Maximized efficacy for minimized societal disruption. If we know where the virus is and isn't, we might be able to minimize the extent to which we need wide-reaching general lockdowns.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Well, my symptoms are getting worse. I'm lying in bed right now and the entire lower half of my body has started trembling, especially my legs and ESPECIALLY my knees. I can't feel any pain in my head at all, but the shivering keeps coming in like ridiculously intense ten-minute waves before fading.

I hate this. I hate not knowing if what I have is COVID or just some other closely aligned bug. My anxiety is flaring out of control.
Oh man, I hope you feel better soon.

If things continue to worsen try an urgent care or check your state Gov site to see if they are any actions you could take.

🙏

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Friend of mine had his cousin die from this earlier today, mid 40's, no health conditions, pretty fit, non-smoker.

Scary shit, as I am not perfect health, and 7 years older...

I'm starting to think that the US has a different strain of this than Europe or even China.
Because Chinese numbers have shown 0.2% mortality in people under 50, and while I understand people being wary of Chinese numbers, Italian official statistics from week ago shown that out of 800+ dead, just 12 were under 50 and the Italian government said "more than 99% of the dead had at least one serious comorbidity".

It's hard to reconcile with all these posts and tweets from the US saying "a friend's friend who was 30/40 and perfectly healthy just died from this".

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Wife and I have been at home for 2 weeks now, with only minimal travel out to get some supplies. I have to go into work briefly tomorrow to get my desktop computer (after some setup is done), but I think it's supposed to be mostly a ghost town.

And then hoping to basically stay inside the house for as long as possible.. only exposure I guess is from going to get groceries.

I feel for everyone else stuck in this, or those who are ill. Feels helpless, especially with older family members. My wife and I were supposed to visit my 99-year-old grandparents last week, don't know when we'll get to see them again..

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California

So there's a chance they probably got Corona and it was circulating around places like Irvine as early as January. If it was Corona then that's a relief as I was deathly worried about them being here with their kid for the sake of my mom and ironically she was visiting them a lot during this time and I was even roped into these visits and I swear I also ended up getting sick around that time but it was mainly sneezing rather than coughing or whatever. Kind of interesting looking back but until they take an anti body test or worse get the Virus still we may never know

I wonder how much of UCI will have the antibodies by the time that test rolls around.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I'm starting to think that the US has a different strain of this than Europe or even China.
Because Chinese numbers have shown 0.2% mortality in people under 50, and while I understand people being wary of Chinese numbers, Italian official statistics from week ago shown that out of 800+ dead, just 12 were under 50 and the Italian government said "more than 99% of the dead had at least one serious comorbidity".

It's hard to reconcile with all these posts and tweets from the US saying "a friend's friend who was 30/40 and perfectly healthy just died from this".

There are many outliers everywhere with a significant part of the population contaminated, people i lost were 29 and 45, without major detected issues before.
But there hare hundreds of people dying silently in nursing homes. (they are not reported yet in france).

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston

America has a major obesity problem. High blood pressure, diabetes, heart and lung issues come with that

Oct 28, 2017
Beerse, Belgium
Question for those with the symptoms : do you (sometimes) get a nasty, metallic taste in your mouth when you have to cough?

Was just wondering as i am sitting at home (coughing, slime, slight pain in chest from time to time, no fever, no feeling sick, not tested) and i get the taste since a week.