• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
EUEFBZjWkAQQ8Bb

www.bloomberg.com

After Bailing Out Euro Area, Lagarde Tackles Merkel on Debt

Just over a week after Christine Lagarde stepped in to shield European Union governments from a market rout, they rejected her appeal to show more solidarity in the face of the coronavirus pandemic.

Criminals.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Like, almost every state have set in place major social distancing measures (intended to reduce 50% of possible contacts) and many more states are doing extreme distancing (intended to reduce 75% or more of possible contacts). Many of these measures have been in place for nearly a week or more.

Some states aren't, but even in those states county executives in urban areas are doing it on their own on the same timeline.

None of it is Wuhan style weld-your-doors-shut, because we can't do that because our consumer logistics infrastructure and market is a half decade or more behind what China has. But I don't think it's a good assessment to say that it's not nearly strict enough, it's just as much as we can actually bear in most places.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Huge spike in NJ cases today. Whew

Brought to you by the Mario Kart LTD sales people

Wasn't really a spike perse. This was the first day that the results from the testing at bcc in Paramus results were available, iirc.

So, with the results from them and the Pnc coming in everyday now, they're going to be a lot higher

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Steph Curry interviewed Fauci

If you want to hear him talk at length about this without being interrupted, and without hearing from people within this administration, then this is a good listen.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
So looking at the numbers atm, aside from the numbers coming out of NA, EU, SK and JP, I really have a hard time trusting other country's data given all the talk about people not even being tested which is artificially keeping the numbers down as well as spreading the disease simultaneously. It's such a screwed up situation atm.

Suffice it to say, there is no fucking way that people can come off of a complete lockdown (esp. international travel) at anything short of reliable vaccine.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
The dimension of this coronacrisis has become extreme (worldwide speaking)...
I'm here in Northern Italy and we are living the third week under total lockdown, i can't even see my parents or girlfriend...

The western world underestimated this virus too much, this is no joke.

Hopefully it all ends very soon.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
Promoting Germany's current CFR is flat out false and misleading and incredibly dangerous. It's giving people a false sense of security and it will in actuality it will rise significantly. Now due to Germany's better handling of the situation it should be significantly lower than like Italy but you cannot promote a low CFR when people haven't even recovered yet. It can take weeks for people to die. Honestly I'm not for sure why we keep asking about it in this thread. There is zero evidence that suggests the CFR could be anymore remotely near Germany's current number.
I am not promoting it, I am arguing against that Germany does wrong counting and explain it with other reasons. Also at LEAST 5500 people have already recovered (no mandatory reporting of recoveries), stop spreading nonsense. Also it takes often weeks to recover, dying is often a matter of days, nobody can recover in days.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if it's been discussed but how is it possible that Mexico has <500 cases? That's got to be a product of under-reporting and/or under-testing, right?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK company has developed a relatively cheap swab-based test (no blood pricks) that can get results in 30 minutes without a laboratory required.

www.lancaster.ac.uk

UK scientists develop new rapid smart testing device for coronavirus - Lancaster University

Scientists have developed a new smart testing device for the coronavirus (CoVID-19).

For 100 pounds or approximately $122 US, you get a hardware kit that can process 6 tests at once, and each individual test only costs about $8 US.

I know there are test kits being touted that get results in like 10 minutes but those are blood-based (like a glucose reader) and aren't as accurate as a swab method I believe.

But all current swap methods I've seen require results to go back and process at a lab.

It would make a lot of sense to get these into communities and have people drop off tests weekly I think if it works.

Last edited:

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont have the TV on but I can hear it from downstairs and he sounds like he's about to keel over.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'll call the doctor again tomorrow. No fever, but a clear pressure on my chest after a walk and still haven't really caught my breath 30 minutes later.

Belgium's virology expert Marc Van Ranst thinks about 10% of all Belgians has corona.

www.hln.be

Van Ranst: “10 procent van de Belgen besmet met coronavirus zonder dat zelf te weten”

Tien procent van de Belgen is allicht besmet met het coronavirus zonder dat zelf te weten. Dat zegt viroloog Marc Van Ranst, naar aanleiding van testen die gebeurd zijn in het UZ Brussel.

Naru

May 11, 2019
Pence with his fucking "15 days to stop the spread". He will carry this around indefinitely now isn't he? That's his thing now.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
Is this going too far? Oh, god my anxiety...

All my family and friends that are medical professionals, including nurses and epidemiologists, say it's very practical.

Essentially you're just trying to create robust systems to both limit exposure & spread. The idea of taking a table and creating a clean & dirty side to more easily go through the stuff you bring in from the shop is really good imo.

Obviously if you're doing tons of shopping this is super laborious but also that's why being thoughtful about what you buy & when, by shopping infrequently, is key and should be done anyway.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Is this going too far? Oh, god my anxiety...

The biggest thing is missed in the start of the video-if you can leave the groceries in your car or garage for a few days (just bring in things that need refrigeration), you can probably not have to resort to these things unless you need to be 100% safe because you have underlying conditions or are bringing groceries to older people.