• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
100 deaths in New York State since yesterday, expected to continue to increase. Also 6448 new cases
rGHRXUq.png

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
Seems likely, yeah. In an NPR article, an Italian doctor talked about seeing strange severe cases of pneumonia back in November and December -- and 20% of cases might show no symptoms whatsoever.

13 million cases doesn't sound quite right though, wouldn't it be about 1.5 million?

I am 99% certain that at some point I read that China was able to track back to a patient zero, who was infected in early November. Even if it spread more than what China claims, it's fairly easy to track that it was isolated in and around China for up to two months before going international.

This winter was just a bad flu season. Maybe abnormally so.

Now all this stuff is happening. I (obviously not an expert) really don't think there were hidden cases of COVID-19 way back in December anywhere outside of China. It doesn't really make sense.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is why the bed/ventilator shortage is scary. You don't just go on it for a few days. It's 2-3 WEEKS. This is why we are running out. There will never be enough free ones.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're a younger person, you really I think need to cease contact as much as possible with people 65+ if you're out an interacting with lots of other people. And if you're in the older age range, you need to understand that shit too. Doesn't matter if the people you are interacting with have symptoms or not.

No hugging, kissing family members, no big get togethers for a few months. It's for your own sake.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
He's in his late 50s (today is even his birthday) and has never had any health problems. His husband, however-who also tested positive for COVID-19 -has asthma....but for whatever reason has shown no COVID-19 symptoms. It's wild.

Crazy. Similar to a situation of this journalist who is in his mid 30s, had veery severe symptoms, intubated and was in the ICU, but his husband had just a bad cold. I don't know the journalists name but I want to see the update... he was one of the first "public" Cases in the US I remember where he was documenting his condition. His mother posted on his Instagram or Twitter or w/e about his worsening conditions but it's been 5 days or so sincee then.

ANybody know who I'm talking about? Not to be crass with descriptions, but he was an Asian Am (?) man, gay, wore a sharp suit in his profile photo, mid-late 30s.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I don't understand how anyone with a brain can't understand the tragedy you steer into, when you overwhelm the hospitals with even more patients, because you want to return to business as usual.

Situation is terrible already, if you don't flatten the curve, people will just die at home as they need hospitalization and can't get one, because hospitals are overfilled. Jesus

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
If you're a younger person, you really I think need to cease contact as much as possible with people 65+ if you're out an interacting with lots of other people. And if you're in the older age range, you need to understand that shit too. Doesn't matter if the people you are interacting with have symptoms or not.

No hugging, kissing family members, no big get togethers for a few months. It's for your own sake.

We've pretty much stopped All contact with anyone outside of our family..and we do have to see someone, we've stopped face to face contact with our parents. If somehow we or our kids get corona..it will stop with us as much as possible.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
RIVM Netherlands here posted abit more detailed report of the deaths. Last couple of days it went up to arround 80. But they said not every hospital says it right away so "day deaths" arent totally accurate or delayed.
Guess they backtracked abit on really per day. This seems positive. If this is real accurate

EUCfCgeXsAAy3at

EUCp72_WoAAKI0h

EUCqTZtXQAE1nhf

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
100 deaths in New York State since yesterday, expected to continue to increase. Also 6448 new cases
rGHRXUq.png
NYC's on track to be another Wuhan, but I really wonder how this is going to play out in the rural areas with undeveloped medical services. There are absolutely zero restrictions on travel in the US, a heavy "I don't give a fuck" attitude, and all it takes is one local infection.

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
Was just wondering why the german death rate/hospitilization rate was so low.
If it truly comes down to testing then its interesting to compare the death rate vs the confirmed cases.

Like for example if you took the death rate in germany and applied it the death rate in Italy you would get 13 million confirmed cases.
I know there are tons of other variables to that such as age of population, and quality of health care but I think when all is said and done the numbers should
I think you have a zero to much there. Italy's deaths with Germany death rate would be more something like 1,3 million infected, not 13 million.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
I am 99% certain that at some point I read that China was able to track back to a patient zero, who was infected in early November. Even if it spread more than what China claims, it's fairly easy to track that it was isolated in and around China for up to two months before going international.

This winter was just a bad flu season. Maybe abnormally so.

Now all this stuff is happening. I (obviously not an expert) really don't think there were hidden cases of COVID-19 way back in December anywhere outside of China. It doesn't really make sense.
If I remember correctly, China claimed to maybe have identified patient zero twice so far -- once, it was a case from early December, then from early November. If it was early November, it might have found its way to Italy by December.

Flu intensity apparently was low in Italy in December. But, yeah, I'm obviously no expert either.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Crazy. Similar to a situation of this journalist who is in his mid 30s, had veery severe symptoms, intubated and was in the ICU, but his husband had just a bad cold. I don't know the journalists name but I want to see the update... he was one of the first "public" Cases in the US I remember where he was documenting his condition. His mother posted on his Instagram or Twitter or w/e about his worsening conditions but it's been 5 days or so sincee then.

ANybody know who I'm talking about? Not to be crass with descriptions, but he was an Asian Am (?) man, gay, wore a sharp suit in his profile photo, mid-late 30s.

I think you're talking about David Lat?

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
A step closer to identifying the origin of SARS-CoV-2:

www.bbc.co.uk

Coronavirus: Pangolins found to carry related strains

Smuggled pangolins were carrying viruses closely related to the one sweeping the world, say scientists.

www.nature.com

Identifying SARS-CoV-2-related coronaviruses in Malayan pangolins - Nature

SARS-CoV-2-related coronaviruses are identified in Malayan pangolins (Manis javanica); these pangolin-associated coronaviruses belonged to two sub-lineages of SARS-CoV-2-related coronaviruses, including one that exhibits strong similarity in the receptor-binding domain to SARS-CoV-2.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
I no longer feel safe or cared for here in America. I have no idea what to do and am scared beyond belief about what is happening here.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Def trying to. Staying inside at all costs unless I have to go out and get essentials (tp, food, etc). I just dont see how I can minimize my risk any more than that, even then, it feels like a huge gamble.

Clean supplies you bring into the house (Preferably outside) and also clean your door knobs (both inside and outside), then wash hands. I dunno, just giving extra ideas to lower your risk.

I bought bleach, a sprayer, and cocktail napkins. Making my own cleaning wipes. Doesn't work for clothes, but will for hard services.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Just got diagnosed with a sinus infection. Am I double fucked if I catch Corona? I'm a meat dept manager at a major grocery retail chain.

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
My county is doing the same thing.

My wife is a nurse practitioner here in Chicago and she teleconferenced with a patient she believes has Covid-19. She referred them to a hospital in Chicago and got a hold of Cook County Health Services who she had a chat with.

She told me they are getting a ton of positives from the testing done thus far here, but it's not being reported at all to the media. The numbers are even higher as Cook County is short on testing supplies.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018

It is massively shitty and going to probably be a problem come November

But if you have ever worked with a stubborn asshole or a kid, you learn to try to be nice to keep lines of communication open. If you just say "You are an idiot and are wrong and are ruining everything" they shut down. If you throw a few platitudes around and make them feel better about themselves they are more likely to listen to you and maybe even think some of the things you are saying were their idea in the first place.

A long term collaborator (who, to be fair, has gotten a lot better) was always like that. If you wanted to accomplish anything you had to stroke his ego and say things in a way that would make him think what you are saying was his idea. Play your cards right and he was an AMAZING project lead who could sell anything to upper management and coordinate the team in amazing ways. Play it wrong and he got frustrated and would lock down and insist on only doing the first thing he thought of.

So its shitty but I can't really fault the WHO for trying to make fuckface feel better about himself. If he even listens to a bit of what they are trying to tell him it could drastically reduce the overall damage.

52club

Oct 27, 2017
My wife is a nurse practitioner here in Chicago and she teleconferenced with a patient she believes has Covid-19. She referred them to a hospital in Chicago and got a hold of Cook County Health Services who she had a chat with.

She told me they are getting a ton of positives from the testing done thus far here, but it's not being reported at all to the media. The numbers are even higher as Cook County is short on testing supplies.

After yesterday's nice weather I'm worried about spikes anyway in the near future.

Sep 3, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
I swear i'm going to punch someone today! wake up driving to work. got needed maintenance done on my car yesterday. today started idling rough and shaking. of course with my luck! so took that in. all fucked up. at work my co worker decides to bring his kid in that is hyper and likes to touch everything and everyone. now trying to get me to help him make a fort wasting our packaging boxes. fuck today. i dont wanna be around anyone! especially KIDS!

Erimriv

Oct 30, 2017

David Lat