• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
Just got a stay at home alert for Larimer County (Northern Colorado) starting tomorrow and ending 4/17.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still curious to find out how Germany is keeping the death rate so low, now that we know they're not undercounting.
We won't know if their death rate is lower than any other countries for several weeks. They caught cases early and it takes time for people to pass away. People used to exclaim this all the time about South Korea and the death rate has gone up every single day as some of the infected don't recover

edit: to add further this doesn't mean there death rate won't be significantly lower. It almost absolutely will because they are handling the situation much better but eventually it will easily cross the 1% threshold

Last edited:

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Not asking on ERA would be a good start.
I loathe this kind of post. Era is a primary source of community for many people — especially during this time. Not everyone knows where to get / has easy access to professional or expert advice elsewhere, AND many people in applicable professions browse Era. This kind of post, without even a suggestion of where else to ask, is useless at best.

Dalthien

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think gloves are the best idea...
The virus is not transmitted through the skin.
And it's easier to wash your hands regularly than it is to wash your gloves.

For me, it's more about touching my face. Without even being aware of it, I'll touch my face all the time with my hands - rub eyes, scratch nose, etc. I never touch my face when I'm wearing gloves - so the gloves basically force me to avoid touching my face.

As you said, the virus will last longer on gloves than on skin, since we wash our hands far more often than our gloves - but the gloves are far less likely to come into contact with our face - which is where infection actually occurs. I suppose it makes sense to avoid gloves for people who don't regularly touch their face throughout the day - but most people touch their face all the time without even realizing it. It seems like gloves help prevent that facial contact - at least I know they do for me.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
I had a right good scare today and I need to share it.

last week I had a bit of a sore throat and felt a bit off. This weekend it slowly dissapeared. Felt fine the past few days - ive been working from home for three years so no chance of infecting anyone in the off chance I have something.

anyway, this afternoon I started feeling nauseous. I also had what felt like muscle ache, especially in my upper back and neck. I lied down for half an hour on the couch.

Then when I set up straight I at once was extremely nauseous, my body felt heavy, cold sweat broke out. I felt like I had to shit and puke at the same time. I ran to the toilet, where I felt like my brain turned into jelly and I collapsed.

on the ground I called 911 (well, 112, as Im in the netherlands). I told them everything I was feeling. I had trouble breating, my arms and hands were tingling, ive never felt so nauseous in my life. It felt like fucking death.

The nice woman on the line talked me through it for about 20 minutes. Controlled breathing made the worst feelings go away. At the end I had to cry. I never was so scared in my life.

its five hours later now. Im still nauseous, and my entire body feels like it has been hit by a truck. My eyes are burning. But i feel more relaxed now and not like I could puke my insides out anymore.

Myself, Im thinking I might be a bit under the weather (hopefully not corona related), and the sudden symptoms I felt gave me a panic attack. I dont know, cause Ive never had a panic attack. It also doesnt explain why I suddenly felt so sick half an hour.

sorry just had to get this off my chest. Was super scary for me. I havent posted in this thread but Ivebeen following it for weeks - as the news about the virus. As a journalist I cant not follow it. If youve read my post, thank you for reading kind stranger and even double thank you if you're considering calming me down a bit.

Last edited:

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
I like him, but he does feel like a SciFi political villain. He's doing a good job though - it's a stereotype of his vibe.
Yeah, Newsome comes off feeling a little too slick at times, haha. I think that is just me characterizing him from mannerisms and demeanor. But still doing a good job overall it seems like.

Last edited:

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Myself, Im thinking I might be a bit under the weather (hopefully not corona related), and the sudden symptoms I felt gave me a panic attack. I dont know, cause Ive never had a panic attack. It also doesnt explain why I suddenly felt so sick half an hour.
It doesn't sound corona-related at all, but we don't really know enough about the current virus to rule it out.

I'd definitely call the doctor to get a check-up. Sudden motion should not be giving you that sort of reaction (I'm assuming that was the trigger).

Hopefully something simple, but this is the sort of thing in normal times where I'd recommend going to the doctor as soon as possible.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I loathe this kind of post. Era is a primary source of community for many people — especially during this time. Not everyone knows where to get / has easy access to professional or expert advice elsewhere, AND many people in applicable professions browse Era. This kind of post, without even a suggestion of where else to ask, is useless at best.
I don't doubt that, but I'd get any actually important info from places I can verify, rather than "lol, just dump it in isopropyl, dude".

If ERA is your main source for info, you may want to rethink a few things.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Illustration of how stupid the lack of an European-wide response is, and why European integration is required to make our countries stronger:

There is a store on the Belgian-Dutch border that closed half its store, because that half is on Belgium that closed all non-essential stores and the other half is in the Netherlands where all shops can remain open.

www.vrt.be

Zeeman sluit deel van winkel omdat dat op Belgisch grondgebied ligt

In Baarle-Hertog wordt de winkel Zeeman gesplitst door de Nederlandse-Belgische grens. Het Belgische deel is afgesloten met linten. Je kan er dus enkel nog producten kopen die aan de Nederlandse kant worden verkocht.
Despite this comical news article, I think Europe is dealing fairly well and being separate countries with their own leaders has advantages. For instance, many European countries closed borders and travel fairly quick. Many EU countries initiated quarantines quickly. All these measures will slow down the spread a lot. It's too early to tell how well Europe handled this crisis because there isn't much of a reference point at this moment. Only time will tell.

Moz La Punk

Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
It doesn't sound corona-related at all.

I'd definitely call the doctor to get a check-up. Sudden motion should not be giving you that sort of reaction (I'm assuming that was the trigger).

Hopefully something simple, but this is the sort of thing in normal times where I'd recommend going to the doctor as soon as possible.

thanks for the heads up. It wasnt the sudden motion, I got up fairly slowly. It was just this nauseous feeling that I had all afternoon (first I thought it was hunger and ate a banana), then suddenly it got extreme. Like extreme like I never felt, and I had food poisoning in my life as well as my appendix taken out lol.

i think i should wait till doctors are less busy though, no?

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I don't doubt that, but I'd get any actually important info from places I can verify, rather than "lol, just dump it in isopropyl, dude".

If ERA is your main source for info, you may want to rethink a few things.

I mean to be honest if I hadn't been following Era I wouldn't have known this was coming weeks ago and prepared appropriately.

I'd tell my coworkers about how we were going to be in lockdown and they looked at me like I was an alien.

Well look who's laughing now coworkers? It's me, going slowly insane from being stuck inside.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I mean to be honest if I hadn't been following Era I wouldn't have known this was coming weeks ago and prepared appropriately.

I'd tell my coworkers about how we were going to be in lockdown and they looked at me like I was an alien.

Well look who's laughing now coworkers? It's me, going slowly insane from being stuck inside.
I guess I must live in a very different world that a lot of people here then.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I have a quick question. Can someone who tests positive for the virus get over it eventually and not develop any symptoms the entire time? Or do symptoms always develop eventually?

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think being skinny has anything to do with your chance of illness as long as you aren't malnourished.

If you're really concerned about going out, check your local restaurants; many of them here in my city have started offering food provisions as a delivery option, turning themselves into mini-grocery stores. Plus you'll be helping mom and pop businesses instead of chain stores.

im 5,7" and weight only 105lbs...
good idea about the local restaurants

The longer you wait the more cases there will be. Go now. Grab as much stuff as you can, and especially foodstuffs that go a long way like rice and beans.

I mean, it's not like i can buy for a month of groceries, especially since I have to walk 15 minutes to go there and only have 2 arms to grab bags

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
i think i should wait till doctors are less busy though, no?
They're not really going to get less busy anytime soon.

That sort of reaction, you should at least tell your doctor about it (I don't know if you can connect with them over the phone or via email). If it happens again or persists, you're going to have to go in anyway, so it's better if they already have some history for the problem you're having.

I have a quick question. Can someone who tests positive for the virus get over it eventually and not develop any symptoms the entire time? Or do symptoms always develop eventually?
Nobody knows. There's indication that the majority of cases are mild, so it's certainly possible there are people who don't notice any symptoms after being infected.

You're still contagious, however, so you need to quarantine until you test negative (should require 2 neg tests).

Moz La Punk

Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
They're not really going to get less busy anytime soon.

That sort of reaction, you should at least tell your doctor about it (I don't know if you can connect with them over the phone or via email). If it happens again or persists, you're going to have to go in anyway, so it's better if they already have some history for the problem you're having.

Nobody knows. There's indication that the majority of cases are mild, so it's certainly possible there are people who don't notice any symptoms after being infected.

You're still contagious, however, so you need to quarantine until you test negative (should require 2 neg tests).

when ya right ya right. Ill call tomorrow (its night here). Thanks kind stranger.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I know people who are positive still shed virus. I just didn't know if you could hypothetically get through the thing never knowing you were sick.
There are people who never knew they were sick who have antibodies.
Huh. That's weird, when it's so severe in other people.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I also support the idea that Trump should not be quoted in this thread anymore. All he does is to spread misinformation and it's clearly not a trustful source for anything COVID-19 related.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think gloves are the best idea...
The virus is not transmitted through the skin.
And it's easier to wash your hands regularly than it is to wash your gloves.

Can be a good way to remind you not to touch your face/mouth or rub your eyes.

I can also drive to the shop without them on, put them on at the shop and take them off when driving back and don't have to clean the steering wheel, gear stick and switches, seat belt, keys, front door handle etc.

Think of all the hands and coughing on that shopping trolley and you spreading it everywhere unless you carry sanitizer with you and always using it.

Last edited:

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
What's the best way to disinfect cotton masks? Washing them with detergent? Boiling them? Spray with lysol?
Not asking on ERA would be a good start.

The fastest and most effective way to sterilize a used mask, they found, was to put it in an oven on low heat -- about 158 F -- for 30 minutes. A typical kitchen oven works fine for this, according to the study authors. Masks cleaned this way keep about 97% of their ability to screen out small particles.

Another great way to clean an N95 mask? Steam. Holding the mask over boiling water for about 10 minutes kills germs but also preserves about 95% of the mask's ability to filter tiny germs like viruses. The study found that UV light also worked.
Web MD.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Saw a intresting graph today about deaths per million inhabitants per country. Just some EU countries tho.

Italy - 124 people per million
Spain - 73 per million
Netherlands - 20 per million
France - 19 per million
Belgium - 15 per million
Germany - 2 per million

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Celebrating what citizens around the Nation are doing.... doing what He and the Government should be doing.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad Kentucky's governor does his daily conference at 5 so I can ignore the other shitshow going on at the same time. Become like a daily thing for me, he's doing an amazing job handling stuff.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The fastest and most effective way to sterilize a used mask, they found, was to put it in an oven on low heat -- about 158 F -- for 30 minutes. A typical kitchen oven works fine for this, according to the study authors. Masks cleaned this way keep about 97% of their ability to screen out small particles.

Another great way to clean an N95 mask? Steam. Holding the mask over boiling water for about 10 minutes kills germs but also preserves about 95% of the mask's ability to filter tiny germs like viruses. The study found that UV light also worked.
Web MD.
This is based on one study with a limited selection of masks and didn't measure the effect on the mask's fit afterwards. I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending it, especially when the question was about a cotton mask, but I'm just a guy on the internet.